• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh man, it's almost as if the 20th century was dominated by European colonial powers and gaints like India and China were brought to their knees. Who woulda thunk...
Not sure if r/whoooosh moment...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
The red marked Patch and the small size of it shows that the Devs didn´t invest much in the existing Base Game and doing an big Base Game Refit / Rework.

I disagree with your last statement.

The BftB DLC was a normal sized country pack, with flavourful and big national focus trees.

And just as a remainder, here is what you said in your first post:

- Poland (Focus-Tree etc.)
- all Balkan States incl. the Seperation States like Slowakia [Yougoslav, Hungary, Tsheolowakia etc.] (Focus-Tree etc.)
- Sowjetunion (Main-Country with Focusses etc.)
- other Minors and Majors which we don´t know yet in Focusses etc.
- adding more Countrys with Focusses, R & D etc. (either Skandinavia and the 3 missing Eastsea-States like Luthia)

This is madness for two reasons: (a) Each update only ~3-4 nations got a focus tree. The exception was TfV (patch 1.3), but all of the TfV focus trees are really small and count as outdated nowadays. (b) The baltic sisters (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, not sure what your "Luthia" is) are to small to get national focus trees. This logic even more applies to breakaway states like Slowakia and other breakaway states. This was exactly the reason why the devs didn't include an Austrian focus tree, btw.

Scandinavia is likely to get a country pack, I could imagine. My hope is, that 1.11 gives Finland a focus tree, and the 1.12 country pack could give a focus tree to the three Scandinavian states (Finland is not a Scandinavian state, but a Nordic one).

Reactions:
USSR is a major power in game, lets not compare it to Poland and Italy lol.

Oof.
Yes. Soviet union is greatest nation in world and game. Is not nation anymore, but still greatest. Glory to soviet union. I am not biased at all. lol.
Should have seen it coming from a person who played for years without even LOOKING at non-soviet content. By the way, I'm quite curious : how ? Even if you don't play other nations, it's a strategy game. Knowing what focuses others have at their disposition seems like important information...

Either way, as others have said : the devs have said that they know Italy and the USSR are in dire need of a rework and, being consider majors in game, they will have some at some point.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I've been playing this game for few years now, on and off, and have always played Soviets. Just the other day, decided to load few other nations and was shocked how big the Focus trees were for most countries. Why is the Soviet tree so small? Wow! This is discrimination! Wow, so disappointing. Paradox, what do you have against Russians?
Italy and the USSR are still having their base game focus trees.

USSR is a major power in game, lets not compare it to Poland and Italy lol. It should have had a bigger tree from the start
The Soviet tree was larger and more involved than many of the other initial trees at game launch. Four years ago some modders had some excellent mods for the Commonwealth nations, and not too long after we got TfV. I don't know what influenced DoD [as I was buried in XCOM2 back then] but the popularity of Kaiserreich certainly influenced elements of WtT [and continues to influence successive DLCs]. At that time China had the worst focus for a major country - the generic one.

Actually, I should have looked at the stats for the OP. A recruit with two posts, both of which are in this thread. Troll much?! ANd yes, I do feel a bit stupid for offering a serious reply.

Stop discriminating Pdox! Or we will call Putin and he will invade Sweden.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
All kidding aside, this does to a degree remind of the map (and mission) issues in EUIV--essentially taking years after release to upgrade regions piecemeal, so that the game is almost always out of balance in some way. Same thing with the focus trees. And you end up with the same problems the upgraded focus trees are having--part of the world don't have the same depth as others even after they are upgraded because their upgrades took place several years apart. I always thought the EUIV devs would have served the game better by simply doing one massive map update and I think HOI IV would have been better served by one massive focus tree update.

All kidding aside, this does to a degree remind of the map (and mission) issues in EUIV--essentially taking years after release to upgrade regions piecemeal, so that the game is almost always out of balance in some way. Same thing with the focus trees. And you end up with the same problems the upgraded focus trees are having--part of the world don't have the same depth as others even after they are upgraded because their upgrades took place several years apart. I always thought the EUIV devs would have served the game better by simply doing one massive map update and I think HOI IV would have been better served by one massive focus tree update.
There are differences between EU4 and HOI4, tho. HOI4 is laid out as a very story telling game. This is only possible because the time frame is short and wars are total. EU4 was better served by the old dynamic mission system, that generated mission depending on your situation. The mission system of EU4 made the game much, much worse, because EU4 has a way longer time frame and the situation are much more dynamical than in HOI4.

The Soviet focus tree is not that good, I agree with that, but I fear its future replacement. As bad as the Soviet focus tree is, the new overelaborate focus trees strike me as much worse. Not only do the new focus trees invariably break the game in unexpected ways when they're introduced, but they make the game too much of an RPG rather than a strategy game.

I realize that it's a pipe dream to design a system with robust first principles where every country is automatically playing out as historical just because that's the way incentives are guiding it, but we should still strive to do the best we can, and the new-style focus trees are the exact opposite of what we need for that.

Reactions: