• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PTwr

Corporal
Feb 22, 2018
A story of how totally by accident I became a benevolent lithoid Hive, and then it became a hell... for everyone else.

It all started with my spawn, right next door I had Space Whale home system, Tiyana Vek, with its immense early Society boost. That steered me toward improving quality of life, and thus production output, of my drones. It also filled my space with neutral fleets that could take care of early fleets of "evil" empires, but there was none nearby.

Quite a nifty and rather secure spawns, eh?

20210627185150_1.jpg

After some exploration I discovered that I live in peaceful Galactic South, with two friendly aliens up north securing my northern border with Caravansary occupying the only accessible path toward centre of galaxy. After some time I even noticed one of them was of same species, one of my previous attempt at peaceful lithoids.

My flanks were secured by two Fallen Empires. On west a boring Rallaketh Archivists, Keepers of Knowledge, on east a much more interesting Reyenne Shard, with terrifying tradition of moving their two battle fleets over all border systems.

On my southern fringes there were two blind alleys filled with modest Gaia planets, some savage tribes, mining drones, some crystals. Oh, and a Trappist system. Nice.

After some exploration I found a single path for expansion, clockwise around western Fallen Empire.

With four nice planets in core system, and two sectors of comparable wealth in sight, I was well set to have some adventures.
20210627185338_1.jpg

After some time it turned out that empire of respectable size was blocking my expansion. And had way too many defensive pacts.
Additionally with my two neighbouring Fallen Empires I have chosen a path of peace to avoid getting slapped with a space trout.

In meantime, on the other side of galactic core.... my home made early-game crisis was going all out.
Tchaaskeran Ravagers found out how tasty Myrans were, and decided to get a taste of my Belgium northern neighbours that secured me from hungry space bugs. Space bugs which wanted to kill me because I was not edible. Not good.

So I became a benevolent Hive sharing my impressive technology with Vrans and Vhemms, and offloading excess resources so they could waste lives stopping the onslaught.

20210627190310_1.jpg

And so went 20 years of so, filled with technological progress, building a better future, and damn bugs making a mess on other side of galaxy.
In meantime, on eastern flank, Empire of Panaxa unilaterally decided to become my friends for no apparent reason. And then made an enclave on my side of Fallen Empire because AI is silly when rushing bad unclaimed systems.
But what 'bout all that undiscovered space up north? Suspicious!

While all that was going on, I was trying to figure out how to balance an economy after all those game updates... ugh.
20210627191123_1.jpg

Oh, and I got a pet. Meet Bubbles.
20210627191617_1.jpg

Twenty more years passed in my attempts to clean up space flora, fauna, and mecha, that blocked some sweet systems from being incorporated into the Hive.
However I encountered a blocking problem in matters of weaponry.
My drones were to peaceful and could not figure out how to blow up stuff.
Initially I ignored weapon upgrades as I had no need for them, and later on they just did not show at all. In any of three categories. With weapon related experts in charge.
Finally, around year 2300 and discovery of Battleship hulls, my drones figured out that blue laser is better than red.

Quite a bothersome technology imbalance. I deemed fleet ratings to be faulty and decided to not engage until some gun upgrades.
Oh, that pending upgrade? Not a weapon.
20210627191820_1.jpg

Fast forward 40 years of gradual improvements... a Khan has awoken and quickly made a bunch of friends. I guess that unexplored part of galaxy had all the Huns I could not find.
And dang space bugs are still making up a mess of borders up north...
At first I planned to join the Khan hunt, after all thats what Benevolent Hive is supposed to do, but everyone started closing borders just because I ate some primitive livestock after Galactic Community asked me to stop enslaving them.
20210627192654_1.jpg

Some time later I decided to investigate why Empire of Panaxa had a hole in middle.
They said I can not bring my fleet there. We disagreed.
Some time later Specter went down, I scored bunch of unused planet, and a wreck of Science Nexus.
And in my benevolence I extended protection over Panaxa for a small tribute.
20210627192801_1.jpg

And then it all went downhill...

I have sent my fleets to Jess'Inax Hierarchy on a peacefull mission of subjugation of a rowdy empire that was stirring up a problems and could not manage rampant piracy.
Then Irenic Tyrathian Cooperative, the peaceful federation builders that kept bullying Panaxa over religious squabble, became Galactic Custodian.
Thus started League of Sapient Nations. Which never asked me to join, how rude.

Shortly afterwards damn space bugs ate the Khan, and Galactic Community welcomed Democratic Hathgum Khanate into the Senate. After which Custodian alliance decided to kill some more space Huns now that Tchaaskeran Ravagers did all the heavy lifting.
Ugh.

20210627193856_1.jpg

In meantime, on other side of galaxy...
A Vran Collective fully armed hike encountered a problem.
Just after subjugating rowdy Jess'Inax Hierarchy a Custodian alliance, League of Sapient Nations, closed their borders, stranding my fleets on other side of Fallen Empire.

Benevolent Hive didn't want to start total war just because neighbours got mislead by Custodians drunk on their newfound political power, but fleets had to come home. No drone shall be wasted by Hive.

But there was still a chance, a last option. An option leading to dark future. To demons.

It has been decided. If squabble of rowdy many-voices won't cooperate, a Hive will pave its own way to the everlasting future.

An order was sent.
Subjugate Provalguvor Wildlings. Leave none alive.
Deploy and protect Construction Ship via Jump Space.
Build an anchorage, repair and resupply.
Return home, and demons be damned.
Hive will prevail.

20210627193631_1.jpg

20210627195600_1.jpg

With seal on jump drives broken, Fallen Empires getting rowdy next door, and so called "League of Sapient Nations" locked in fruitless galaxy-wide struggle for power it was up to Hive to guide the galaxy toward bright future. Unified future.
But for that Hive needs power. More power than ever before.

All great works require sacrifice. The rest of the galaxy may not understand, but they will comply.

The Hive will prevail. The Hive is the future.
One voice, one purpose.

They call us the Crisis.
The Benevolent Crisis.

20210627200234_1.jpg

With eastern Fallen Empire foolishly stationing fleets in neutral system Hive quickly went through its territory, wiping out separated fleets one by one...

20210627212736_1.jpg

... following up with single garrison fleet testing Apocalypse bombardment methods ...
20210627213721_1.jpg

... all in order to enrage eastern Fallen Empire into declaring war, which required just a bit of extra xenocide ...

20210627221146_1.jpg

What followed was what was expected, and for what last hundred years of war was for.

Remaining Fallen Empire, far on other side of troubled galaxy, has awakened just to welcome extra-dimensional demons into their backyard... while Hive continued on its path.
20210628192845_1.jpg

Foolish League of Sapient Species declared war, while still locked in combat against Huns and with Hive flanks secured by neutral tributaries.

A harvest has begun.
20210628195128_1.jpg

Turning battlegrounds into barren space buffering Hive from onslaught of demons...
20210628200355_1.jpg

However security from remote space could last only so long...
Fleets had to be deployed, more fleets had to be built...
20210628205551_1.jpg

A lot more...
20210628205812_1.jpg

And then Bubbles pushed The Button.
20210628202258_1.jpg

And all came to end...