• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
YES IT HAD SUNK RATHER DEEP.

A map of the World in 1518

EU3__1518.jpg

Red Borneo is Timurid, not Japan. Also unfortunately Normandy grey is almost the same as Terra icognita grey.

Well, not quite. Getting colonies in Africa and stuff.

The chicken
Kuipy (Normandy)

Jacques downed his firewater and peered through the blinds at the one muddy street of Saint-Hugues. The air had that odor he had smelled in each of the Green Isles, which mixed the stench of slums and the perfume of a thousand different flowers. Just like us Norman, he though, to build a pig sty in heaven. On the bordello's steps the first generation of mongrels played and sang, among them a fair-haired rascal he'd often thought might have been his. With a mild displeasure he marveled at how fast the little bastards had grown. Soon they would be of age to sign with one of the many Norman captains who did not balk at a copper skin.

"You here to sign with Quesdeville?" someone asked him.
"Aye. You ?"
"Me too."
Jacques scratched his greying beard with his good hand and cast a prudent look at the man. Obviously he was rabble like him, but perhaps a more dangerous sort, with large stooped shoulders, a gruff face and a nasty scar running through his red beard. In jungle country everybody looks older than he is, but Jacques recognized a newcomer's sunburn when he saw one. He decided the man to be about thirty, with a rough life behind him.

"I have never seen you around."
"You know everybody around?"
"Pretty much. All the whites."
"Well, you're right. Name's Gonzague Altavila. "
"Jacques. Just Jacques. Of Hereford."
Jacques sipped at his now-empty goblet and Altavila waved a serving girl for one.

"You ever took went to Iucatan?" he asked
"I discovered it, in a way. I was in Chamaury's small boat when it landed there, rowing. Chamaurry got a dukedom and I lost two fingers."
When Altavila laughed he would show the ugliest set of brown teeth.
"It looks like you got the worst deal out of it."
"Well," Jacques answered, looking at the line of poxy Indian harlots. "Maybe not me."
"Yet you sign for a new one?"

Through the blinds Jacques peered once again at the desert street. More like Guillaume de Quesdeville would want to wait for the sun to decline a little before starting the recruitment.

"What else is there to do? And I am pretty sure to be taken, too; I know some Maya, from the previous expedition. Word is there will pe good pay."
"Pay. What about loot ?"
"Maybe. Who knows?"
"I don't mean to toil in that muddy country for a soldier's wage. I mean to make my own fortune, like my ancestor."

The man's eyes flashed blue, ablaze with greed and madness and devilish ambition.

"Altavila, you see, it means Hauteville. I am one of their descendants, a lost one. Look."

From behind his slovenly shirt he produced a brass medallion, small and time-worn. On one side there was only some writing, on the other a faded bird. Jacques thought it looked like a chicken.

"An eagle?" he offered tactfully.
"A dragon. A dragon for Drago de Hauteville, the first of them."
He showed is rotten smile again.
"I want to be a king. Gold and riches, and a new Indian girl in my bed every night."

There was a strange appeal in this boasting ruffian, a fascination he seemed to exert. And he certainly looked like he could take care of himself. Jacques thought.

"You are new to the Green Isles, you said? Need someone to vouch for you with Quesdeville ?"

Last edited:
Poxy ones ? :cool:

From the catalogue of the L. Museum
Kuipy (Normandy)

A wall map of the Norman Empire in 1518

EU3__colonies_1518.jpg

(looks better than the big one)

The reigns of king Geoffroy II and Roger IV saw a drastic shift in Norman overseas policy. Beset by religious strife and preceded in all its discoveries by the modern and innumerable Burgundian fleets, Normandy could no longer pretend to a leading role in colonial ventures. Its ambitions, for a time, had to be limited to controlling the sea lanes in the North Atlantic. Quick, easy military expeditions had already brought Iceland and the Açores under Norman control, and skillful diplomacy opened the Burgundian-American ports to Norman ships (it is a testimony to Burgundy's overwhelming power and hybris in that time that its emperor, at the Agreement of Bilbao which delimited Norman and Burgundian spheres of influence in the New World, wilfully refrain from biding the Norman reciprocate). This set the scene for expeditions to come.

The settlement of the Eastern Carribeans was fast enough and favored by the influx of Calvinist from Europe. Although still small and squalid by all accounts, the main ports in the Green Isles grew fast and prospered with the help of royal charters and official supports, and soon could be used in turn to support further expansion East, and in particular the first fortified ports in Iucatan.

The Îles Papistes or Papist Islands, on the other hand, Sainte-Marie, New Jersey and New Guernesey were mostly developed by the private efforts of evangelists and fur traders who turned small seasonal settlements of cod fishermen into permanent trading posts and ports of call. The independence to which those frontier inhabitants grew accustomed as a result, and the relative disinterest of the Crown for the hostile, unprofitable land, explain to an extent why they remained loyal Catholic for so long after the reforms of René de Melun, and why a Catholic minority remain present there to our days.

Whatever its particulars the Norman ventures in the New World proved largely successful. In a generation's time the dukes of Green-Isles, Port-Richard and Iucatan had amassed a wealth largely superior to that of any old noble family lucky enough to have survived Roger III's wars, and the massive plunder from Mayan temples, wisely invested at home, fueled the rise of the Norman middle class.

Well my Empire looks like it has more or less fallen apart. :/

On a related note Sweden seems to be pulling itself back together.

Gorgo you are the lighter yellow that is in Spain. Your nation controls northern Egypt the blob in NW africa and has taken over land in SW africa as well.

Considering all that has been done by AI its doing quite well for itself and has entered the colonization game.

We reached 1518 last friday so will be around 1550 after tonight I think.

Also I apologize for the lateness of this but I hope to catch up to Kuipy's story line in the next few days :).

The Last Crusade
(1399 – 1450)
The start of the 15th century saw an end to the bickering and civil wars in Burgundy when Louis-Henri I made an example of the dukes of Flanders and Lorraine, their lands forcefully taken away and the dukes executed for treason. This sent a strong message to the remaining duchies of Burgundy and allowed the peaceful restructuring and unification of the French people.

When Louis-Henri I died in May of 1425 his son Henri II took power and was not content to sit idly, using diplomacy to convince ungrateful dukes to give up their old powers for positions in a central government. Henri wanted to return to the days of his ancestors, who won glory on the field of battle trying to free the holy land from the heathen, and so he ordered a fleet created that could transport 30,000 men across the Mediterranean to Jerusalem. In the year 1430 Henri I set sail with his men to the holy land with the blessing of the pope, leaving his heir Louis-Henri II in control of the Empire.

Under the military genius of Henri II the French soldiers proved their superiority over the heathens in every battle and quickly liberated the Christian peoples in Gaza. By 1432 the French army was marching north into the province of Judea as the Sultan of Sharjah tried desperately to drive them back. Thousands of Muslim soldiers were thrown at the French ineffectually and Jerusalem was quickly surrounded. Henri, confident in his successes, decided to split his force in two and continue north up the cost to Bierut, leaving the remainder to finish the liberation of Jerusalem. Again the French were successful in driving straight through any army that tried to oppose them and they dug in around the city of Bierut.

Henri II would not see the end of the siege though as on the night of September 20, 1434, assassins infiltrated the French camp and murdered the Emperor in his sleep. The nation was thrown into shock at the loss but Louis-Henri II, having seen to the administration of the Empire in his father’s absence, was able to quickly put the nation back at ease. Shortly after Henri’s death both Jerusalem and Bierut fell to the French and Louis negotiated an end to the war with the Sultan of Sharjah. On the 9th of June 1438 Burgundy was given the provinces of Gaza, Judea and Bierut in exchange for peace.

With the crusade a success Pope Urbanus VII rewarded the Burgundian Empire with 1000 gold and personally blessed the grave of Henri II, declaring him a hero of the christain people.

HolyLand.jpg

Holy land after the war.

The New World Part I​
(1451 - 1463)

Barthelemy de Rochebaron​

The end of the 15th century saw Louis-Henri II looking to further expand Burgundy’s power and prestige. With control over Jerusalem came easier access to trade goods coming from India but the continuous wars in the region were a constant disruption. Not wishing to commit more troops to the region Louis-Henri II decided to take a different route and hired the services of Barthelemy de Rochebaron to find a route around the continent of Africa.

Using the Canary Islands as a base Barthelemy set out south along the African coast but was largely unsuccessful in his efforts as his ships were poor quality and no friendly ports could be found to resupply. Instead Barthelemy decided to set out west and was rewarded with the discovery of a new continent that would become known as South America. Upon returning to Burgundy to report to the Emperor his findings he petitioned for a naval base to be set up so he could continue his exploration west, convinced at this point that Asia was close. Louis-Henri agreed and by December 1453 a rough port town was established called Rio Grande (It is uncertain why the French explorers named their discoveries in Portuguese but it is rumoured that the Emperor was enamoured with a Portuguese princess at this time and allowed her to name Burgundy’s colonial ventures.)

FirstColonies.jpg

Burgundy's new colonies

With a new base to support his efforts Barthelemy continued his ventures west discovering several islands in what would be called the Caribbean as well as making contact with a tribe of savages called the Maya. His efforts to find a passage west though came to a halt when he and his four ships got caught in a terrible storm and all hands were lost.

Louis-Henri II did not wait long to hire a new explorer and this time he wanted the best. Charles de Vienne answered the call and his guarantee that he would not accept payment from the Emperor until after he returned with a passage to India seemed like a bold and arrogant statement at the time, but Louis-Henri II was so impressed by the man’s confidence he gave him the commission. Unfortunately for Louis-Henri II he would not live to see what effect Charles would have on Burgundy as he passed away in January 1463 shortly after Charles set sail for the first time.

Nice story behind Rio Grande. :rofl:

Well I figured it was easier than coming up with all new names on my own :p.

The New World Part II
(1466 – 1490)
Charles de Vienne
As Phillippe II was being crowned Emperor of Burgundy Charles de Vienne was sailing around the southernmost tip of the Americas. He would continue north discovering the Incan tribe before turning back convinced that he would not find a route to Asia continuing west. Frustrated with his failure he took a risk and began searching the South Atlantic in hopes of finding a friendly port from which to continue east.

While Charles searched the South Atlantic an emissary from Normandy approached Phillippe about the separation of colonization interests between Normandy and Burgundy. For several years Burgundy had been allowing the Normans to use ports in South America and they had followed the path Barthelemy took into the Caribbean. With the people of Burgundy not overly interested in moving out to the colonies at a reasonable rate Phillippe knew he could not monopolize the new world and more interested in the goods from India decided to split the Americas in a most generous manner. In 1467 the treaty was finalized and Phillippe signed away Burgundies rights to colonize in the Caribbean and North America for sole rights to the South American continent.

Meanwhile in the South Atlantic Charles was not successful in finding a port to continue the search east and so he ended up building his own on the island of St. Helena, which he discovered in 1469. He left behind one hundred men to set up a base while he sailed back to Rio Grande to get the supplies they would require to live on the island. By April 1470 the port was ready for use and Charles set sail east. His voyages met with enormous success as he managed to not only get around the African continent but continued up the coast all the way to the Gulf of Suez.

Feeling like his goal was close Charles pressed on despite being low on supplies claiming he would not pull into a port unless it was in India. Again Charles de Vienne would be rewarded for his boldness when his fleet came across land and made contact with the nation of Ahmadnagar in 1473. Despite many barriers to communication and the locals’ mistrust of the explorers Charles miraculously got the local populous to allow his ships to land and resupply. After almost a year of repairs in the Indian state Charles would continue east following the Indian coast line.

As Charles sailed further east news of his arrival in India reached Phillippe II in Burgundy, along with his treaty with the nation of Ahmadnagar. Unhappy with the need to rely on heathens for a safe port Phillippe decided to send an army to secure a port for Burgundian traders. Five carracks and transports loaded with ten thousand soldiers set sail in 1475 to India via St. Helena. They would reach Ahmadnagar near the end of 1476 and while it is believed that they were originally supposed to take the city of Bombay that Charles was using as a port to press further east they instead only stopped briefly to rest for a month before pressing on. It is reported that Charles de Vienne happened to be in port when the armies were making land fall and was able to convince them of a better target having just discovered the island nation of Ceylon to the south east.

Ceylon would take a little over five years to fall to the Burgundian army with the Jaffna, the northern half of the island, being secured in Jan of 1478 and Korales finally being conquered in Dec 1483. During this period Charles de Vienne took control of the small fleet, combining it with his own four ships, and fought several battles with Ceylon’s allies as they attempted to bring troops to the island to destroy the Burgundian armies. Under his leadership the Burgundian navy was able to capture several useable ships to bolster his numbers and destroyed over a dozen enemy vessels before Ceylon’s allies made peace with Burgundy, realizing they could do nothing against the much superior naval forces against them.

Jaffna.jpg

Burgundian soldiers suppress rebels in the newly aquired island provinces in India.

With the new ports secure Charles continued east while Phillippe II set up the Burgundian East Indian Trading Company to ship trade goods up the Gulf of Suez and into Granada’s ports. There they travelled briefly overland into Gaza and then by ship into Vienna. Phillippe II would pass away shortly after commissioning the company and Louis-Joseph I would rise to the throne in April of 1484. Louis-Joseph’s reign was short lasting only until September of 1487 when his son Charles I, believed to be named in honour of Charles de Vienne, became Emperor.

Charles’s further efforts into the Far East would open up a route to China in 1485 and lead to the discovery of the island nation of Japan in 1487 as well as discovering the continent of Australia and mapping a large portion of the Pacific Ocean. In 1490 He would turn back west towards home ports in Europe.

Charles de Vienne would remain only long enough in Europe to receive his payment and attend a banquet the Emperor held in his honour. With fresh supplies he would then sail west again to chart the few regions left unknown in the North American continent and the Atlantic Ocean. He would die of complications due to frostbite in the Arctic ocean after being caught by an early winter storm while exploring the Hudson’s Bay. His four ships would return to Burgundy with his body where a state funeral was held for the man who no other explorer would ever match in accomplishment.

That was a surprising leap eastwards! :eek:

Yes Charles was an amazing explorer having a manuever value of 6. It allowed him to go long distances without a port and when the Indian nation accepted my request for military access it opened up the pacific. The request was made out of desperation as I realized I had no hope of making it back to St. Helena before he would die so I was really shocked it was accepted, especially due to the -50 something relations with the nation :).

European Affairs
(1490 – 1540)

As Charles de Vienne was nearing the end of his explorations for Burgundy Emperor Charles I was beginning to take a more active role in European matters. Croatia and Holland were becoming increasingly aggressive against the smaller European nations and the Emperor wanted to check this behaviour. Guarantees were given to Salzburg and Bavaria that their independence would be protected by Burgundy should any nation threaten to check Holland’s advance east but a different approach was decided for Austria.

At the urging of the Austrian citizens in what was the Duchy of Tirol Charles decided to make Austria a protectorate of Burgundy. At first diplomatic overtures were used to persuade the small nation to become a vassal of the empire willingly but Austria’s rulers were frightened at the prospect of being wholly annexed in the future. Despite reassurances that this would not occur the Austrian government refused and so Charles I ordered that the nation be taken by force in 1492. Bohemia, not wanting Austria to fall under Burgundian control, tried to assist Austria in the war but the overwhelming size and superior quality of the Burgundian army quickly swept all opposition aside. After only a year of fighting Austria was forced to become a vassal state of Burgundy and Bohemia was made to release the nation of Mainz and give up the province of Steiermark, which was then transferred to its rightful owner Austria.

Pre-Austriawar.jpg

Map of the Region before the war.

PostAustriaWar.jpg

Region after the conclusion of the war.

With Austria secured Croatia’s ability to move into Europe was stalled and they turned their attention to the Balkans instead. Charles decided to open negotiations with Croatia in an attempt to improve relations and possibly forge an alliance to secure Burgundy’s eastern border. Unfortunately the two sides could not come to terms due to Burgundy’s control of Istria and its population of Croatian citizens. Charles was unwilling to release the province to Croatia and they would not sign any agreements without the provinces release.

After Charles I death in 1517 Phillippe III became Emperor and reopened negotiations with Croatia after a large revolt in Istria made him question the provinces worth to Burgundy. In 1524 Croatia and Burgundy came to terms and the province was transferred to Croatia for a small amount of gold and an Alliance.

Phillippe III also turned his attention to the Iberian Peninsula and improved relations with both Castille and Granada, signing a military access agreement with Castille and forming an alliance with Granada. With both its eastern and western borders now secure and relations with Holland on the rise Phillippe was able to spend most of his reign solidifying the crowns hold on the remaining duchies within Burgundy. By the time of his death in 1540 Only Orleans and Toledo remained.

Last edited:
Nice summation, Blackmist. I'm the one who needs to catch up now.

The Eagle
Kuipy (Normandy)
It was Gonzague's turn to hold the beam while Jacques hurried to pile bricks on either side of it. The wall would not be high, Parbay had soundly reasoned, but with with good brickwork and criss-crossed wooden beams throughout it could withstand anything bar a canon shot, and they were the ones with canons. Suddenly the giant roared and swore and tried to bite a splinter out of his calloused palm.
"Did you sign to be a mason ?" he asked.
"No. Did you ?"
"Damn not. I signed to be a prince, and rich to boot. To wallow in comfort and lux with naked wenches in attendance. Let Indians do the toiling, I say. It's their country after all. What is the need to build a wall there ?"
Jacques pointed his unshaven chin toward the new mission, a low but solid building opposite the shack were Quesdeville was dying of a fever.
"The priests. If we are ever to pack our tents and walk away from Campeche they have better remain behind fine walls or the red men will have their heads on spikes." He shrugged "Not that I give a damn."
"Me neither. Why, I wish we still were in those damn mountains south. Quesdeville is an ass and we got massacred, but Christ ! At least there was more to be done than slaving on a damn wall. And no cholera, being as we left our dead behind for the red men, and drank in a different river than the one we'd shat in the day before."
"It's going to last, too. With Quesdeville dead command will go to Parbay, and that one will not want to take risks. Not to mention Chamaury and him hate each other with a passion, which means no more ships from the Green-Isles. Better get used to be a mason and a sentry."
"Tell you what, let's slip away."

Jacques sighed. They had already gone over that, and the legend of Mexico.

"I mean it!" Gonzague insisted. "Steal a mule and two guns, live on the land. Northward to Mexico."
"Last spring we went in the jungle with no less less that four thousand men and..."
"That's the problem! With just the two of us we will be faster and less conspicuous, and we know we can rely on each other. You know the damn red men's tongue, don't you. And I can take care of myself, we don't need anybody else."
Mexico was the fevre dream of every rascal in Quesdeville's troop, a fabled city of wealth an splendor over a silvery lake. Two generations ago, or so the locals would rave, it dominated all the land around Campeche and much more ; tribute would be carried to its distant hoards it from every village in the known world. But then envoys and summons and merchants ceased to come, armies disappeared and rumours spread that Mexico's empire had fallen to strife and disease, its last princes and sorcerers starving half-mad, slouched on heaps of gold, and waging merciless civil war on each other.

"Civil war. It is our luck," Gonzague would rave with the best of them. "We can play all the sides against one another and emerge on top, like my ancestors in Sicily."
"For God's sake, nobody even knows were it lies ! It is at least two hundred miles north, beyond Zapotec territory. The way there is at least two hundred miles of uncharted jungles, swamps, mountains and deserts."
"Good. I like my conquests unspoiled. What about the riches ?"
"They say Mexico is, or at least was, rich. By their standards it means they own a couple pigs and a collar of glass beads. That's it."
"That's it ? Don't say they all the gold in their temple comes form Mexico?"
"They do, but..."
"Temples of massive gold, streets paved with gems."
Jacques shook his head. There was a savage passion in Gonzague that was hard not to follow, and every day he spent in that squalid hole of a town he felt less inclined to sensibility.
"My turn," he nevertheless answered, and went for the next beam.

Soon the day's work was over, and Gonzague convinced his friend to go and gamble away their pay to come, on the reasoning that they were unlikely to see it anyway. Their favorite hole was a shack no less squalid than the rest of them, where only a dusty curtain separated the patrons from the owner's quarters. As soon as they passed the door Jacques smelled trouble.

"Here he is. Another game, 'Hauteville' ?"
The Normans tensed. Corentin's voice was never good news. For his mere five foot the Breton was a tough, sinewy bully of a sleaze, with a cruel streak and a sharp tongue. Only five years ago Jacques could probably have beaten him in a fair fight, and of course he was no match for Gonzague. But everybody knew him to be vicious as a weasel, and after the disaster at Peten he had snitched his way into being made a petty officer.

EU3_maya.jpg

Badly outmatched, Quesdeville and his braves start a grueling retreat through hostile territory.

All that made him a dangerous man, and a quick look around taught him it was a dangerous place too, with nary a friendly face. Word must have got out Corentin meant to settle a score. But if Gonzague did saw it he pretended not to, and answered all bluff and bluster.
"Why not? You do not tire of being fleeced, do you?" he answered genially, toying with a horn dice.
"Nice die. Do you mind if I have a look at it?"
"As a matter of fact I do."

Corentin winced and a hulking armorer twisted Gonzague's right arm behind-him, leaving the dice to roll at the Breton's feet and three other ruffians started to close in. Before Jacques could make a move two big patrons had stood up and faced him with arms crossed. The incident was all planned, he knew and settled down. He was no longer strong enough for that kind of odds and even if he had still been, he had never been fast enough for it to matter.

Corentin picked up the dice.

"Pretty sure normal ones come with only one six," he said.

From his belt he drew a wide, ugly, eight-inch dagger, glistening with the dim,

"You played me false for the last time, Zague."
"True."

For a moment the sleaze wavered. But when Gonzague broke free with brute force from the blacksmith grip, snapping his wrist in the bargain, he lunged forward almost fast enough to dodge Altavila's hairy fist and stab him the gut. He failed on both account, though ; his faced crunched under the blow and he rolled panting on the ground.

By then had snatched a stool and broken it over one of the two soldier's head while they were still hesitating ; the second took the hint and fled. That was bad, he reflected, seeing the blacksmith wailing and clutching his broken limb, Corentin lying with his own bayonet in the chest and two more bodies at Gonzague's feet. Obviously the latter had not thought farther ahead than stabbing his enemy, and stood ready to brawl his way out of there, although knives had suddenly appeared and someone was calling for the watchmen. Jacques knew better and flung a tallow candle at the curtain.
"Fire !" he yelled, which convinced the scum to leave it at that for the moment. Soon the room was ablaze and they ran out amidst the smoke.

"Follow me !" Gonzague cried and made for the streets, taking a few rapid turns with the old soldier on his heels, until they reached some fenced courtyard where he stopped and grinned. Over his panting breath Jacques tried to listen, but there did not seem to be anyone on their track yet

"Damn you, Gonzague !" he spat "An officer ! He was a bloody officer!"
"A damn bloody one, now. I'm sorry, pal, but I needed his coin."
"You needed it? What for ?"

And then he saw the mule.

"Don't tell me it's true!"
"We don't have any choice" Gonzague offered in way of an apology. "They will be looking for us now. I packed all the provisions we need, two muskets and gunpowder. We will be kings."
"We will be dead. They will stop you at the wall, shoot us."
"There's a section of it not finished beyond this fence. And with your fire the sentries will have left their posts."
"With my fire... Gonzague!"
"Yes ?"
"Did you plan it ?"
"The mule ?"
"The showdown with Corentin."
Gonzague look embarassed.
"Well, it does'nt change anything now. We still don't have no choice."
"I can't believe it."
"Better hurry. Come on. To glory." Altavila took the bridle and led the mule away.

Jacques needed not be told where to they would went. He cursed, and followed his friend to Glory.

What else ?

The Dragon
Kuipy (Normandy)

Gonzague was the first one on the ridge, looking superb. Hunger and flux had emaciated him somewhat, but there was still strength in his thick limbs and a burning will in his blue eyes. Even as they struggled up the wind-swept slope he had to lead, a rusted armor clasped around his burly chest. Bushy hair had all but drowned his scarred face, and all they could see of it when he turned back to ensure they followed was a brown smile and those blue eyes, ablaze with maniac greed. At times like this Jacques would find himself believing his story that he was the Hauteville.

The Indians must have believed it too, or why did they follow ? They were a ragged score of savages, half soldiers and half beasts of burden, seemingly enthralled by his fierce demeanor and mirthful determination. They understood Jacques's broken Maya well enough, and obeyed him on occasion, but did not seem to pay him much mind. It was the Norman giant who fascinated them.

Jacques, as he struggled to keep apace, could not fault them for holding him on less esteem than his comrade. Weak and sick as he was, with little flesh left over his old bones, he dragged himself as if in a dream. The bare, windy slopes of the Mexican highlands, after weeks of harassing march through dark and feverish jungles, had seemed him a welcome respite, But now he shivered even at day, and spat blood, and wondered how he could have made one step more than their poor mule.

It was all because of Gonzague, he knew. That was the kind of man you just had to follow. When they dinally ridge the ridge the natives just sprawled on the ground like tired animals, but Jacques limped toward his smirking friend.

“Look” he told him, raptured.

Much below them, lost in the evening mist, a garish city glistened and sprawled over a silvery lake, bigger than London and shining with gold. Legends were true, after all. It was all Jacques could do not to weep.

"Our kingdom !" Gonzague said, his face all rotten smile and lousy beard, with a grand gesture that startled their flock of Indians,
"Oh. Do you think it will be enough for the two of us?"
"For a start, Jacques. For a start."

And he let go the thunderous laugh of a Norman conqueror.