• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(57402)

Freelance Emperor
May 26, 2006
Well as you will probably see from my number of posts, I have never done this before, but well it seemed like fun to fill up some of my revision time for GCSEs, when I feel too guilty to go out much etc.

Victoria has always been my kind of 'guilty pleasure'- loads of my friends have laughed at me by calling it a 'lame' game, but I just think its great and enjoy it so what the hell...

Anyway I've now been inspired by the other 'histories' on here to write my own, using the 1.4 mod of Victoria, and taking up the reins of the Austrian Empire to avoid patriotic ranting (I'm from Germany so want to steer clear of Prussia...).

However, here's my question: I really felt amazed and interested reading Rensslaer's (apologies if I spell wrong) account of the irrepressible Prussians, and felt moved to write my own in the same style- is that plaigarism? I won't do it if it is of course, but I feel confident I could do his method justice (perhaps not quite so long lol). So if it's acceptable (particularly from Rensslaer himself) I'll go right ahead in this way.

Finally, I have really no idea how to transfer photos from my map on the game to these posts. So if anyone out there has any interest in this thread (probably unlikely lol...) maybe they could tell me, or either just imagine the images!

Well cya and thanx for listening/reading woteva...
DerKaiser

DerKaiser said:
Finally, I have really no idea how to transfer photos from my map on the game to these posts. So if anyone out there has any interest in this thread (probably unlikely lol...) maybe they could tell me, or either just imagine the images!
Just take a screenshot, convert it into JPEG in order to get it lighter, upload at imageshack.us and voilà, your image is hosted, what's left is to use the
 img] stuff.

Emp_Palpatine said:
Just take a screenshot, convert it into JPEG in order to get it lighter, upload at imageshack.us and voilà, your image is hosted, what's left is to use the [/ img] stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well many thanks mate but I think you haven't grasped just how poor I am with computers- understandable as it's so shocking... You lost me somewhere around screenshot...

I'm sadly not joking,
thanks

DerKaiser

DerKaiser said:
Well many thanks mate but I think you haven't grasped just how poor I am with computers- understandable as it's so shocking... You lost me somewhere around screenshot...

I'm sadly not joking,
thanks

DerKaiser

Press F11 in the game and it will take a picture and save it into the game's folder on your computer.

DerKaiser said:
However, here's my question: I really felt amazed and interested reading Rensslaer's (apologies if I spell wrong) account of the irrepressible Prussians, and felt moved to write my own in the same style- is that plaigarism? I won't do it if it is of course, but I feel confident I could do his method justice (perhaps not quite so long lol). So if it's acceptable (particularly from Rensslaer himself) I'll go right ahead in this way.
Well, they say that imitation is the highest form of flattery! :D And I believe them. You do me great honor!

I had long wished to do an Austrian AAR in the same style as Fire Warms, but that was before I realized how long it would take me to do the first one! And before I realized how drawn in I would get (which explains how long it has become!). :rolleyes:

That said, I can tell you that I will never do Austria in "my" style. I would want to get into the personalities, do research, etc. It would take forever, and get in the way of other projects I have. But I'd LOVE to see one! So you are very welcome to do so! Not that you have to ask permission (it's not plagiarism).

I can tell you that I have learned a great deal about Prussian/German history in the writing of it (not to mention French, Austrian, Russian history, etc.). And about the people, too!

I'm sure you will find this a valuable and fulfilling process!

I'll look forward to seeing it! Oh, and Welcome to the gang!!! :D

Rensslaer

Oh, and it looks like the other folks have given you a good start on doing pics. F11, look in your Victoria folder for the .bmp, put it into a program like MS Paint (or something better) to convert to .jpg (someone else said they liked .png), then edit it to highlight what you want to show. I've found that a full screenshot needs to be either cropped (cut off what you don't want) or resized to about 75-85% in order to fit into the windows right. Otherwise you have these massive pictures that are bigger than the reading window. The thing you have to be careful of is that information on the smaller picture needs to still be readable (whatever you want to show) -- which is sometimes a trick and tradeoff. I sometimes have to spend a little bit of time getting all the elements just right.

And I use photobucket.com, which has worked very well for me. Just cut & paste the [IMG thing the site will display for each picture and paste it in (it's mostly the same tag for every picture you post, so if you want to save time just copy the tag in your text editor (MS Word, Wordperfect, etc.) and the only thing you have to change is the name of the .jpg.

I do find it useful to write in an MS Word file, then paste it in when it's ready. That way you have an archive of what you've written and can look back any time you need to.

Best wishes!

Renss

Well many thanks mate- I suppose I'll have to try not to let the side down. Reading through yours I can only say that's a really impressive piece...

Yeah I'm sort of putting things together for the moment- done a quick practice of the first 5 years with Austria, pooling together some names, getting ready to kick it all off I guess...

Yeah so thanks again, and I indeed hope that I can expand my knowlege through this as a side-effect: seeing as I've always found myself most interested by this period in history, and I know I'll be studying it (Italy and Germany: Unification) next year. Here's hoping my GCSEs don't knock it off course, preparing my first installment now...

DerKaiser

Good luck! I'll be following :)

DerKaiser said:

I'm sadly not joking,
thanks

DerKaiser
I apologize, I should have been more precise.
Don't be affraid with "AAR technics" :D , you'll be able to post nice pictures in a matter of minutes when you have the trick.
Looking forward to your AAR.

In the beginning....

Extract from ‘Austria and Europe: 1836-1936’

It is said that when Napoleon Bonaparte headed into exile following his defeat by Wellington’s British and Blücher’s Prussians, he was asked by an unnamed clergyman in a town he passed whether he didn’t now regret everything he’d done, having brought him to this end.
‘No,’ replied the outgoing Empereur, ‘I will at least comfort myself with the knowledge I dealt the death-blow to those miserable Hapsburgs!’

But Bonaparte overestimated his strike against the Austrian Empire. Whilst he undoubtedly crippled Austria for many years, and knocked the Hapsburgs from their high pedestal as the top dynasty of Europe, and though they seemed to be on the slippery slope to oblivion for the opening decades of the 19th Century (despite the best efforts of Metternich), Austria made something of a comeback as the century moved on, and continued to be a major part of European, and world politics right into the 20th Century. There is no question that Austria was not better off in 1836 than it had been in 1789, but the ‘death-blow’ had by no means been struck.

Earlydays.jpg

1836 has a special significance for the Austrian Empire, as it was on January 1st (conveniently for historians) of this year that a young and energetic man was appointed by Metternich to be his ‘personal secretary’- a position that carried more responsibility than the name suggests. He was effectively a member of the Kaiser-in-all-but-name’s inner circle of advisors and associates, and was thus a key player in the running of the country. This man’s name was Leopold von Jagow, of no relation to the Gottlieb von Jagow who occupied the position of German foreign minister from 1913-16, the ‘von Jagow’ was a vestigial name from a time when Leopold’s family had been aristocratic Prussians. Now, however, the Jagow family were ‘noble’ only in wealth- being renowned as the richest family in Innsbruck, with extensive property holdings in the Tyrol, and their talented 20-year old son was their first adventure into nationwide politics.

Leopold von Jagow was to become one of the key figures in the building of 19th Century Austria, and he characterized his position with his earliest recorded statement at a meeting of Metternich and his inner circle. On being told by Archduke Karl, the commander of Austria’s armies, that he was failing to look at the ‘world map’ (big picture) by demanding troops from Milan be withdrawn to garrison the Dalmatian Coast against possible Ottoman or Serb advances, he replied (in a sentiment that Bismarck would adapt 40 years later) that his map of the world lay only in the Balkans. This region, he argued, should shape most of Austria’s policy and, of course, military deployment. The clashing point between the Ottoman, Romanov and Hapsburg empires continued to spark trouble throughout the century, and if all of Metternich’s associates had fallen in behind von Jagow and begun to plan for the future, they might have assured Austrian predominance on the continent for more than a century to come.

Last edited:
Excellent start and a nice background story.

Last edited:
Von Jagow is a great name!

And Austria does have an interesting position in the world. Looking forward to seeing how you take it!

Good start!

Rensslaer

Good luck with your very first aar....and the GCSE's too. ;)

A Meeting In Vienna

‘Meine Herren,’ interrupted Metternich suddenly, as the Archduke continued to stare down Leopold darkly, ‘this manner of debate will not achieve the aim for which I called this meeting. That aim, namely, is to discuss the present state which our empire of Austria finds herself in. We as Germans comprise not even the largest portion of our own population and the subject peoples hardly consider us benign fathers, the malcontent of the peasants and indeed the Ausländer population grows ever stronger, and we have a gibbering moron placed on the throne!’
‘Only because you put him there, Herr Metternich.’ Interjected the still fuming Archduke Karl. ‘Only because you told us to support him to the throne and you maintain him there.’
‘In a choice between a cracked wheel and nothing at all for my cart, I choose the wheel, Herr Erzherzog.’ Retorted the Chancellor. ‘If I might continue? The Kaiser, whilst I did indeed bring him to the throne on the death of His Majesty Kaiser Karl, is a hindrance, but is the only possible monarch for the moment, and I put it to you that you either accept this or join the anarchists in the street! Now, consider, if you will, this.’ Metternich took a document from a tray that a servant was holding, and unfolding it in front of the watching guests. It was a map of the Kaiser’s empire, and Metternich nodded to Leopold. ‘If you will demonstrate what you were describing to me previously, Herr von Jagow?’

Leopold took the pencils that the Chancellor offered, and proceeded with his diagram.
‘As I said before, our map of the world should be that of the Balkans. For herein lies both our glory and our ruin, if we either succeed or fail. There is room,’ he added quickly spotting the impending interjection from the Archduke, ‘for other regions to come onto our map, naturlich, but one eye should always remain here.’ Now Leopold proceeded to take each pencil in turn- black, green and red, and annotate the sketch before them.

Theroughdraft.jpg

‘You will notice, meine Herren,’ said Metternich, ‘that my young secretary has coded sections of the map you see before you. Please elaborate, Leopold.’
‘I was about to do that, you pompous fool!’ thought Leopold suddenly, but caught himself and replied. ‘As you can see, there are lines of green and lines of red. The green of the map represents a friendly border, the red a hostile- potentially dangerous- frontier. Black is the colour of the boots of the Kaiserliche Heer, and so shall they tread. With,’ he added hastily again, ‘Your approval, Erzherzog Karl.’ The old Archduke gave an indistinct snort, as though to say ‘I should think so too, upstart youth!’
‘But this is an outrageous map!’ Exclaimed a grey-haired, nervous man- Prinz Eugen von Redenburg- the Imperial Lord Chamberlain. ‘You, young man, put our entire southern and eastern frontiers within the camp of our enemies!’ He paused, as if expecting Leopold to correct his error. The pause hung in the air.
‘Indeed.’ Said Leopold shortly, trying to fill the silence.
‘Well! A fine thing indeed!’ spluttered the wrinkled old man. ‘History tells us, as does prudence, to choose Russian or Mussulman and assist them. This is how the game has always been played and should be! If we make enemies of both it will all come to grief! You should learn this before you proceed, young man.’
‘I disagree, Herr von Redenburg. Just because something has been the case in the past does not make it an eternal precedent for the future. The new Balkan conflict is primarily thought to be between the Czar and the Sultan- thus we must make ourselves a part of it, or we will be pushed aside. In allying ourselves to, or even assisting, one of the two we class ourselves as a second level player on the board, and Austria must never be that!’
‘Quite so, I agree!’ exclaimed Metternich, ‘I’m sure you gentlemen agree that our patriotism can’t allow ourselves to be marginalized by Turks and Tartars?’ Of course, no-one would volunteer themselves for this.
‘Yes… well… this is all very well, but are you suggesting that we attack the principalities of Cracow and Montenegro. It is here on your map, I can only assume…’
‘Yes indeed, I believe we must.’ Answered Leopold.
‘A pointless exercise!’ boomed Erzherzog Karl, ‘So this is why you wanted my Italians, eh boy? To trample the defenceless on our doorstep!’
‘Ach, don’t be a fool, Karl!’ retorted Metternich. ‘I put those ‘defenceless’ states there myself, twenty years ago in this very city! We all knew very well that the idea of Cracow as a free Polish city would not last- I’m surprised our good friend Nicholas in Petersburg hasn’t closed it down yet, and it has always been a matter of time until the Turks came back for the Montenegrins, I don’t see why we shouldn’t get there first! Besides, if we don’t use your precious ‘Italians’ to ‘trample’ Cracow and Montenegro, you’d only use them to trample Lombardy yourself! Please, Leopold, continue.’
‘Taking Cracow,’ Leopold said, ‘would give us a large city in that region, a proper capital and focal point for our Polish provinces, and a base that we might fortify to withstand the Russians should they come through Galicia. Montenegro allows a foothold into the heart of the Balkans and a similar stronghold- which we lack in the region. From here, we are well positioned to strike through to the heart of the Balkans and ultimately towards Constantinople itself. From Montenegro, we are as close to the Sublime Porte as the Russians at Ismail, and closer to Sofia, Sarajevo and Thessalonica. The significance of this in any Balkan conflict can surely not escape any of you gentlemen?’ There was a silence following these words. The Archduke, however, was still unsatisfied.
‘But you have put the Italians among our foes as well- look here where this red line covers the borders with the Papal State and the Piedmontese. You are giving the Kaiser too many enemies, and besides many of these think of themselves as friends of Austria!’
‘And so they are, and so they shall remain.’ Replied Leopold. But the French are no friends to us, and where will they come but through the lands of their Sardinian friends should they wish to attack us? I have no wish to make any enemies in Italy, but the line of hostility shows where a threat to our security might come from.’
‘Precisely,’ agreed Metternich, ‘who can say what might be brewing in such melting pot as the peninsula? Those who craved an Italian state at the Congress have not disappeared since 1815, and there will always be some fool raving about ‘New Rome’ and the like. In a place such as Italy we must anticipate possibilities- there is no surety there as we have in Germany to the north.’
‘But what is this here?’ asked another man, who had not yet spoken, indicating an unmarked section of the border.
‘Ach, well…’ replied Leopold smiling, ‘what would you have made of the Swiss?’ A ripple of laughter passed around the table, even Karl allowed himself a loud bark of appreciation.
‘Very well then.’ He added. ‘But I dislike being ordered what to do with my own men- remember it is I who defeated Bonaparte at Aspern, and I who brought us to the final victory.’
‘No-one doubts your valour, or your wisdom, Karl. That would be a foolish and perilous act.’ Replied Metternich, in full diplomatic fashion. It seemed to please the red-faced old man, and he gave another indiscriminate exclamation, this time indicating satisfaction.

‘Well,’ continued the Chancellor, ‘if we have dealt with that, let us move on to the next item on our agenda. About this business in the Netherlands…’ The January snow fell unabated outside, decorating the winding streets, as the leaders of Austria mapped out their empire’s future.

Last edited:
Interesting... I personnaly would have put Prussian borders red, and Ottoman ones green, as the OE is not that much a danger. But Prussia will be.

A very good start, with lots of interesting potential. I feel that converstion will have long-lasting consequences.

Just a word of presentation advice - it really helps if you leave a clear line between paragraphs and speech. Otherwise on screen it looks blockish and is more difficult to read.

I hope you enjoy AAR writing!

Emp_Palpatine said:
Interesting... I personnaly would have put Prussian borders red, and Ottoman ones green, as the OE is not that much a danger. But Prussia will be.

Obviously you're right, the Ottomans couldn't beat a crippled fly with no wings, but how are the Austrian leaders to know that in 1836? They see common-language, common-interest (supposedly) Germans to the north, on exceedingly friendly terms, and babbling, heathen Bashi-Basouks to the south (no offence intended). No competition really...

Besides if Leopold's assertion that Austria will rise or fall in the Balkans is correct (for a historical precedent just look what they did to themselves in 1914), the Balkan states must take precedence- the Turks are a Balkan state. The Prussians are the length of the Hapsburg Empire away from that sensitive region, and Prussian expansionism would surely be curbed by the Catholic German Kings (Bavaria, Wurttemburg, Baden)? Remains to be seen, but in '36 in their position I'd fear the Ottomans before fellow Germans....

stnylan said:
A very good start, with lots of interesting potential. I feel that converstion will have long-lasting consequences.

Just a word of presentation advice - it really helps if you leave a clear line between paragraphs and speech. Otherwise on screen it looks blockish and is more difficult to read.

I hope you enjoy AAR writing!

Thanks and yeah I noticed that at soon as I'd posted. It's because I typed it on word so I could leave and come back, and it seemed more spaced out there... Will take that into account in future.