• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

duderino

Second Lieutenant
101 Badges
Dec 24, 2013
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Ancient Space
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
There have been numerous attempts to do this, but I figure the only way to get it done is to do it. I'm going to rely heavily on the vanilla setup to populate the provinces fixing whatever major errors I notice along the way, and I'll be spending several hours most days doing this until it's done.

This is what I have so far:

The British Isles:
Political
Screenshot_21.png
Religious
Screenshot_12.png
Cultural
Screenshot_11.png
Government
Screenshot_14.png

France/Germany:
Political
Screenshot_15.png
Religious
Screenshot_16.png
Cultural
Screenshot_25.png
Government
Screenshot_18.png

Iberia:
Political
Screenshot_19.png
Religious
Screenshot_24.png
Cultural
Screenshot_22.png
Government
Screenshot_20.png

The Italian Peninsula:
Political
Screenshot_33.png
Religious
Screenshot_38.png
Cultural
Screenshot_39.png
Government
Screenshot_36.png

The Balkans:
Political
Screenshot_40.png
Religious
Screenshot_41.png
Cultural
Screenshot_42.png
Government
Screenshot_43.png

Hungary/Bavaria/Bohemia:
Political
Screenshot_46.png
Religious
Screenshot_47.png
Cultural
Screenshot_48.png
Government
Screenshot_49.png

Morocco/Mauritania:
Political
Screenshot_54.png
Religious
Screenshot_55.png
Cultural
Screenshot_56.png
Government
Screenshot_53.png

Again, I'm planning on "fixing" some issues I have with the vanilla 769 experience, like the majority of the population of 8th century France speaking a Germanic language. Melting pot events will be included as well as localisations for new cultures. I do not plan on spending a lot of time verifying the accuracy of individual characters or their domains, only larger scale issues like cultures. Understand that I am not a trained historian, so I welcome any suggestions to fix any errors in either the vanilla setup or my own additions.

Repository: https://github.com/denjirenji/Historical-Immersion-Project769

Last edited:
Naturally, you have our permission to release this as a submod, just like all the other submods got permission. You might wanna check them out for inspiration or collaborators to help you. But it seems like you've got a nice start, so just keep at it. If you need advice or have questions don't hesitate to ask.

I will get back to you on Pictland, when i actually have time to check it

Just wanted to show progress. The Carolingian controlled area is very close to being finished. Just have a few more counties and some work with the culture mapping.

Screenshot_8.png
Screenshot_9.png

Do you need help with anything? I have some free time and I am a developer. I can also do research on certain regions if you like.

I would love a 769 start for the religion aspect alone.

I'm familiar as well with history of North Africa, Arabia, and to a lesser extent other Muslim areas. Maybe in a few days I'll boot up 769 and start taking notes as to inaccuracies in the start, or better ways things can be shown. I know a lot of religions in the region will need to be changed to fit the added EMF religions.

I'm familiar as well with history of North Africa, Arabia, and to a lesser extent other Muslim areas. Maybe in a few days I'll boot up 769 and start taking notes as to inaccuracies in the start, or better ways things can be shown. I know a lot of religions in the region will need to be changed to fit the added EMF religions.

Yeah, if you could provide any information on the religious and cultural breakdowns if those areas that would be awesome. It would make this so much easier.

Do you need help with anything? I have some free time and I am a developer. I can also do research on certain regions if you like.

I would love a 769 start for the religion aspect alone.

I think I can handle the tedious transfer of titles. Maybe you can write some melting pot events for the new cultures and/or help with implementation of a pre-schism Christianity similar to CK2Plus Chalcedoneon.

Naturally, you have our permission to release this as a submod, just like all the other submods got permission. You might wanna check them out for inspiration or collaborators to help you. But it seems like you've got a nice start, so just keep at it. If you need advice or have questions don't hesitate to ask.

I will get back to you on Pictland, when i actually have time to check it

You're awesome. Thanks.

Done some digging into Pictland and it seems like Fortriu and Pictland appears almost synonymously, especially towards the end of Pictlands existence, as a denominator for the Kingdom of the Picts. So my suggestion would be that you call Pictland, Fortriu.

If you finish this you shall have everlasting fame and glory!

EVERLASTING FAME AND GLORY!!!

Edit: Quick question, should the Anglo-Saxons really be feudal?

If you finish this you shall have everlasting fame and glory!

EVERLASTING FAME AND GLORY!!!

Edit: Quick question, should the Anglo-Saxons really be feudal?

As far as I understand it, the feudal system as it is represented in the game is more of a catch-all term for all non-muslim/non-tribal medieval kingdoms in general. I don't know that you could consider the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms tribal, though if anyone knows better feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
Wow, this looks like it’s shaping up to be awesome! Congrats for the undertaking. A suggestion I have is giving the Kingdom of Meade in Ireland the titular Kingship of Tara that is present in the other starts, because Donnchad Midi based in Mide held the title here. If you want, you could make Ireland a bit more realistic by making every other count a tributary to the High King too, or vassals with minimum crown authority. This is something I feel like should be done in the other HIP start dates because in real life the other clans of Ireland were nominal vassals of the High King.

Anyway, once again congratulations and if you need any recommendations on what to do for certain areas, I can help you out if you want.

Wow, this looks like it’s shaping up to be awesome! Congrats for the undertaking. A suggestion I have is giving the Kingdom of Meade in Ireland the titular Kingship of Tara that is present in the other starts, because Donnchad Midi based in Mide held the title here. If you want, you could make Ireland a bit more realistic by making every other count a tributary to the High King too, or vassals with minimum crown authority. This is something I feel like should be done in the other HIP start dates because in real life the other clans of Ireland were nominal vassals of the High King.

Anyway, once again congratulations and if you need any recommendations on what to do for certain areas, I can help you out if you want.

I'm having trouble with this one, because it seems like there are two separate titles involved. The kings of Tara and the High Kings of Ireland. They seem to be related but separate, and I'm having a hard time solving a way to deal with the two in terms of game mechanics (Do I add both? Do I keep Tara as the representation of both? Do I make one a minor title? etc...) because they seem to be more about bragging rights than actual power.

Anyway, I'm starting on the Iberian Peninsula tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions about the cultural makeup of that area, or is the one from vanilla CK2 accurate enough?

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with this one, because it seems like there are two separate titles involved. The kings of Tara and the High Kings of Ireland. They seem to be related but separate, and I'm having a hard time solving a way to deal with the two in terms of game mechanics (Do I add both? Do I keep Tara as the representation of both? Do I make one a minor title? etc...) because they seem to be more about bragging rights than actual power.

Anyway, I'm starting on the Iberian Peninsula tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions about the cultural makeup of that area, or is the one from vanilla CK2 accurate enough?

Well the way the Irish titles are dealt with in HIP and is probably the best way is that the Tara title is given out, meanwhile the High King of Ireland title is a formable de jure title as opposed to the titular but non formable Tara title. So I would suggest simply giving the Duke of Mide the title of Tara and don’t use the Ireland Kingdom title but leave it formable.

If I’m not mistaken, Visigothic culture is the dominant culture in Spain in 769 and this is pretty much the situation with 769 Frankia in vanilla. The dominant culture was still very much Iberian and only the ruling class could be called Visigothic. I’m not very well versed in Spanish history but I am pretty sure the Visigoths were simply a ruling class and not a cultural majority really much of anywher. Not sure what cultures you should put but most should be a Romance-Iberian culture and maybe concentrated Iberian Celtic cultures in the North in the Asturias area that had managed to cling on during this period.

Well the way the Irish titles are dealt with in HIP and is probably the best way is that the Tara title is given out, meanwhile the High King of Ireland title is a formable de jure title as opposed to the titular but non formable Tara title. So I would suggest simply giving the Duke of Mide the title of Tara and don’t use the Ireland Kingdom title but leave it formable.

If I’m not mistaken, Visigothic culture is the dominant culture in Spain in 769 and this is pretty much the situation with 769 Frankia in vanilla. The dominant culture was still very much Iberian and only the ruling class could be called Visigothic. I’m not very well versed in Spanish history but I am pretty sure the Visigoths were simply a ruling class and not a cultural majority really much of anywher. Not sure what cultures you should put but most should be a Romance-Iberian culture and maybe concentrated Iberian Celtic cultures in the North in the Asturias area that had managed to cling on during this period.

How's this:
Screenshot_21.png

Also, your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok, I've been working on the cultural situation in Iberia and here's what I have so far:

Cultures 769
Screenshot_31.png
Cultures 867
Screenshot_27.png
Cultures 1018
Screenshot_28.png

The idea is to have a late stage Vulgar Latin culture group that will breakup into the regional languages. My two big concerns are that this will only serve to complicate things and not provide anything to enhance the experience, and that I'm getting into the realm of pseudo-history. Also, I'm leaning pretty heavily on removing the Mozarabic culture all together and sticking to just the single Andalusian culture. The idea was to have a proper representation for population of that area that spoke Latin primarily as opposed to the population that spoke Arabic primarily. Finally, If anyone can help me out with which if any counties, if any, should be set to Visigothic or could point me in the right direction to find the answer that would be awesome.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
Might i suggest you stick to the Bookmark and Bookmark related cultures/religions etc. initially to make sure you don't burn out by trying to do too much, too quickly. Just for your own sake

Having said that, we've internally discussed a Mozarabic Culture amongst the HIP devs before too and went against it mainly due to the language. In game terms it is simply too difficult to disentangle Christian and Muslim Arab speakers from the south, without making culture and religious conversion too complicated.

We've discussed a Hispano-Roman culture too, i don't remember how that discussion ended, but it was less closed than Mozarabic was if i remember correctly

ETA: Also, a CK2 character wouldn't be Romance, but Roman or Hispano-Roman. I don't quite remember the Iberian equivalent of the terms

Last edited:
Fair enough. No more Mozarabs. I'm going to try to keep the Hispano-Roman culture at least for now. I think I can just do a one for one swap in the Visigoth to Iberian Group event chain.

ETA: Also, a CK2 character wouldn't be Romance, but Roman or Hispano-Roman. I don't quite remember the Iberian equivalent of the terms

Ok, fixing that now.