• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
FYI
you have new cultures which use no custom localisation atm. I wrote a RegEx guide on how to extract all localisations of one source-culture from MCN mod. This easily allows my new paeonian culture to use all serbian localisations. I will try to make a working guide for swmh_landed_titles.txt aswell. However you should not use it untill HIP release and MCN compatch. Also you will probably have to run it every time HIP gets updated. The output is very nice and could not be better for me.
Code:
###########################################################################
# How to use the localisations of an existing culture for a new culture:
# by TheDovahkiin97
# First Google what RegEx is and how you can use its expressions in your Text Editor
# 1. Copy the main file from MCN mod.
# 2. Find all unused baronies and comments with:
# (?:\#)(?:.*)
# 3. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 4. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 5. Find everything your culture does not use with: (you have to replace every "serbian" with your desired source culture)
# (?:(?:(?:(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ c_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ d_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ k_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:e_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)))))|(?:(?:(?:(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\")))))|(?:(?:(?:(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\})))))
# 6. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 7. Copy everything with Ctrl + C
# 8. Select everything with Ctrl + A
# 9. Paste your copy with Ctrl + V
# 10. Find all baronies your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \})
# 11. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 12. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 13. Find all counties your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ c_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \})
# 14. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 15. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 16. Find all duchies your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ d_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \})
# 17. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 18. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 19. Find all kingdoms your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ k_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \})
# 20. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 21. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 22. Find all empires your culture does not use with:
# (?:e_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\})
# 23. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 24. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 25. Manually check/import the titular titles at the bottom of the file
# 26. Use full text replacement to replace all occasions of the source culture with your new culture
# 27. Copy and Paste this guide at the top of your file

Yeah, St.George killed the last Dragon, so, that makes sense. I think making a single tile Greek paganry would be ridiculous, but maybe for some epic fun time sub sub mod or a game rule idk if game rules can do that, but that would be okay imo.

Pretty tired from work again, but I hope you detected my sarcasm. If the Peloponnesian peninsula is broken up like it is, it would give that one county Hellenic pagan a chance to start the ball rolling on uniting an old school pagan Greece. Give a foothold for those 1337 HF mechanics to get used. =P.

FYI
you have new cultures which use no custom localisation atm. I wrote a RegEx guide on how to extract all localisations of one source-culture from MCN mod. This easily allows my new paeonian culture to use all serbian localisations. I will try to make a working guide for swmh_landed_titles.txt aswell. However you should not use it untill HIP release and MCN compatch. Also you will probably have to run it every time HIP gets updated. The output is very nice and could not be better for me.
Code:
# How to use the localisations of an existing culture for a new culture:
# by TheDovahkiin97
# First Google what RegEx is and how you can use its expressions in your Text Editor
# 1. Copy the main file from MCN mod.
# 2. Find all unused baronies and comments with:
# (?:\#)(?:.*)
# 3. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 4. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 5. Find everything your culture does not use with: (you have to replace every "serbian" with your desired source culture)
# (?:(?:(?:(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ c_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ d_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ k_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{))|(?:(?:e_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)))))|(?:(?:(?:(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\"))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ serbian\ \=\ \")(?:.*)(?:\")))))|(?:(?:(?:(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\ \ \ \ \}))|(?:(?:\})))))
# 6. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 7. Copy everything with Ctrl + C
# 8. Select everything with Ctrl + A
# 9. Paste your copy with Ctrl + V
# 10. Find all baronies your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \})
# 11. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 12. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 13. Find all counties your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ c_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \})
# 14. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 15. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 16. Find all duchies your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ d_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \})
# 17. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 18. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 19. Find all kingdoms your culture does not use with:
# (?:\ \ \ \ k_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\ \ \ \ \})
# 20. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 21. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 22. Find all empires your culture does not use with:
# (?:e_)(?:.*)(?:\ \=\ \{)(?:(?:\n)|(?:\r\n))(?:\})
# 23. Select all occasions with Ctrl + Shift + L (in VSC)
# 24. Delete with DEL + DEL
# 25. Manually check/import the titular titles at the bottom of the file
# 26. Use full text replacement to replace all occasions of the source culture with your new culture
# 27. Copy and Paste this guide at the top of your file

Thanks. Not looking forward to that compatch. As long as the history files aren't edited too much it shouldn't be that bad though.

Thanks. Not looking forward to that compatch. As long as the history files aren't edited too much it shouldn't be that bad though.
im speaking of the MCN update for the next HIP update. And yes the history files of for example half k_hungary got edited.

Pretty tired from work again, but I hope you detected my sarcasm. If the Peloponnesian peninsula is broken up like it is, it would give that one county Hellenic pagan a chance to start the ball rolling on uniting an old school pagan Greece. Give a foothold for those 1337 HF mechanics to get used. =P.

What i'm saying is I don't think any tile on the entire map should have a Greek pagan religion as a majority. I would only be okay with it if it was a sub sub mod or part of a gamerule or something.

What i'm saying is I don't think any tile on the entire map should have a Greek pagan religion as a majority. I would only be okay with it if it was a sub sub mod or part of a gamerule or something.

I get it. Just to be clear, I don't either. Not in the base 769 start. Just think some of the more weird ideas would make for a decent game if added. I'll look into the gamerule thing. An event chain may work. Something along those lines. But definitely not in the base submod.

I'm working on the Bilad al-Sham area. Is this map accurate for this time frame? Also, how would the cultures change in this timeframe. Would there be more of a Jewish presence?

800px-Syria_in_the_9th_century.svg.png

I get it. Just to be clear, I don't either. Not in the base 769 start. Just think some of the more weird ideas would make for a decent game if added. I'll look into the gamerule thing. An event chain may work. Something along those lines. But definitely not in the base submod.

I'm working on the Bilad al-Sham area. Is this map accurate for this time frame? Also, how would the cultures change in this timeframe. Would there be more of a Jewish presence?

800px-Syria_in_the_9th_century.svg.png
Uh, I'm not too sure about the Arabian Levant during this time period, but, ever since the Roman Period, Jews had increasingly lost power in the area, as Romans and Greeks and such moved into the area. During Arab rule, I think they lost even more, as Arabs moved in. I would also say, after the Byzantine-Sassanid wars, where the Levant was exhausted and many people there died, Jews lost even more people and agency. So, I would say probably none of the regions have a Jewish majority that would warrant giving one of the tiles Jewish culture or religion.

I do not, but I'll sign up for one. Would there any more lingering vestiges of other "western" cultures or religions. Or was the coast firmly Muslim and Levantine?
According to Sidney Griffith, the population of the Levant wasn't majority Muslim until around the time of the Crusades

"It is important to take cognizance of the seldom acknowledged fact that after the consolidation of the Islamic conquest and the consequent withdrawal of “Roman”/“Byzantine” forces from the Fertile Crescent in the first half of the seventh century, perhaps 50 percent of the world's confessing Christians from the mid-seventh to the end of the eleventh centuries found themselves living under Muslim rule. Conversely, during these same first four centuries of the Muslim government of these large territories, roughly up to the time of the Crusades, the very centuries during which the classical Islamic culture was coming into its own, the Muslims themselves still did not make up the absolute majority of the population everywhere in the caliphate, not even in Mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine, and Egypt, where by the end of the ninth century the largest populations of the speakers of Arabic lived."

Griffith, Sidney H.. The Church in the Shadow of the Mosque (Jews, Christians, and Muslims from the Ancient to the Modern World) (p. 11). Princeton University Press. Kindle Edition.

referencing Jean-Pierre Valognes, Vie et mort des chrétiens d'orient: Des origines à nos jours (Paris: Fayard, 1994).

Last edited:
According to Sidney Griffith, the population of the Levant wasn't majority Muslim until around the time of the Crusades

"It is important to take cognizance of the seldom acknowledged fact that after the consolidation of the Islamic conquest and the consequent withdrawal of “Roman”/“Byzantine” forces from the Fertile Crescent in the first half of the seventh century, perhaps 50 percent of the world's confessing Christians from the mid-seventh to the end of the eleventh centuries found themselves living under Muslim rule. Conversely, during these same first four centuries of the Muslim government of these large territories, roughly up to the time of the Crusades, the very centuries during which the classical Islamic culture was coming into its own, the Muslims themselves still did not make up the absolute majority of the population everywhere in the caliphate, not even in Mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine, and Egypt, where by the end of the ninth century the largest populations of the speakers of Arabic lived."

Griffith, Sidney H.. The Church in the Shadow of the Mosque (Jews, Christians, and Muslims from the Ancient to the Modern World) (p. 11). Princeton University Press. Kindle Edition.

referencing Jean-Pierre Valognes, Vie et mort des chrétiens d'orient: Des origines à nos jours (Paris: Fayard, 1994).

So the question I have is what culture would those Christians have fallen under. Mostly Aramaic speaking Syrians in Qinnasrin/Aleppo and Hims/Homs? Greeks spread further down the coast? Arab most every else? If most of the Muslim world at the time was non-Muslim would they be better represented as Christian in Mesopotamia(East Syriac?) and along the Mediterranean coast(Catholic, Orthodox, Maronite, and West Syriac?), Zoroastrian in Persia, and Christian in Egypt(Coptic), etc...? Would only represent the major cities as primarily Muslim?

Anyway here's the work in progress along the coast:
Political
Screenshot-115.png
Religious
Screenshot-116.png
Cultural
Screenshot-117.png

Right now it's represented as a permanent tributary. Subject to change. Apparently the entire region was united under a single provincial government subject to the caliphate. The Northern part called Jund 'Awasim, represented as the Addauid Emirate, was split from the province at some point in the 9th century. Although, that's from Wikipedia. So... You know. Also, the Ummayad Caliphate was run from this province, so I don't know that it would have been unified when the Abbasids took over. So maybe it would be better represented as the six Junds that make it up as direct vassals to the Caliph.

So the question I have is what culture would those Christians have fallen under. Mostly Aramaic speaking Syrians in Qinnasrin/Aleppo and Hims/Homs? Greeks spread further down the coast? Arab most every else? If most of the Muslim world at the time was non-Muslim would they be better represented as Christian in Mesopotamia(East Syriac?) and along the Mediterranean coast(Catholic, Orthodox, Maronite, and West Syriac?), Zoroastrian in Persia, and Christian in Egypt(Coptic), etc...? Would only represent the major cities as primarily Muslim?
The Levant should be a mix of Syriacs, Copts, and Greeks with a slight favoring of Syriacs in the North, Copts in the South and Greeks along the coast and majority Arab regions being very few and far between. I don't want to really weigh in on Persia as I'm not familiar with Persian history. The urban/rural divide is a lot trickier truth be told. Griffith proposes that until the crusades Christians were still a majority in much of the Middle Easat. This would include cities such as Alexandria, Damascus, and so on, so they should certainly still be Christian in 769. Sadly Griffith doesn't really discuss the process of Arabization and conversion to Islam in the Middle East, except to comment that it rapidly accelerated in spurts, especially after the Crusades, his book is far more concerned with exposing Christian and Muslim intellectual discourse than providing a demographic breakdown of the Christian Near East.

Anyway here's the work in progress along the coast:
Political
Screenshot-115.png
Religious
Screenshot-116.png
Cultural
Screenshot-117.png

Right now it's represented as a permanent tributary. Subject to change. Apparently the entire region was united under a single provincial government subject to the caliphate. The Northern part called Jund 'Awasim, represented as the Addauid Emirate, was split from the province at some point in the 9th century. Although, that's from Wikipedia. So... You know. Also, the Ummayad Caliphate was run from this province, so I don't know that it would have been unified when the Abbasids took over. So maybe it would be better represented as the six Junds that make it up as direct vassals to the Caliph.
You could add Roman Culture to a county or two there (^:

Outside of Palestine, the majority of the population before the Arab conquest were Aramaic-speakers, with a veneer of like 5-10% Greek speakers as the upper-class. And even in Palestine the Aramaic speakers became more and more of a majority as the 6th century went on (see the Jewish revolts and what happened to the local Jews when those revolts failed)

The pecularity about Aramaic speaking Christians in Palestine is that they were much faster than their brethren in Syria, Lebanon or Jordan to adopt the Arab language and adopt an identity that would be better portrayed by the Mashriqi culture in CK2.

Syria was a hodgepodge mix of Jacobites (West Syriac) and Melkites (Orthodox), when it came to Christians. The Jacobites were probably a bit bigger in terms of numbers (And the parts of Syria that converted first seems to have been the Melkite areas). Melkites (Orthodox) were pretty clearly the majority in Palestine, but there were Jacobite (West Syriac) dioceses in Galilee

Maronites belong in what would constitute modern-day Lebanon, that goes without saying. I would be careful about turning all provinces iinto Aramaic and Christian, but a look at Christian dioceses could be a place to start as to decide which province should follow what religion.

Last edited:
Does anyone know, before I start tearing through code, if the tributary system is hard coded? Is it something I can manipulate to add a new form of tributary that maybe can mimic the Baqt?

Does anyone know, before I start tearing through code, if the tributary system is hard coded? Is it something I can manipulate to add a new form of tributary that maybe can mimic the Baqt?
yes you can add new forms easily. you'll find the info in tributary_types.info