• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If we just go about "manmonths spent" and compare to pricing we've done previously on other games, then 7.99$ is extremely cheap..

If 7.99$ does not work as a price point for a species pack with new ships, stations etc, then I doubt we'll ever make another..
Johan, you're a good guy, but you're trying to bully your audience here. If it's somehow unprofitable to make $8 cosmetic DLC for a game that's needed a patch since June, then we'll have the modders do it for free.

Reactions:
Wait, not to pick on you, but you bought it at 7.99, yet you hope it was a mislabel? Shouldn't you have waited a little while to see if they change it then, if you hope its a mislabel? (which I sadly doubt it is)?
Nah, I bought it as soon as I woke up, then checked the forums and saw the outrage. So it's my mistake, which I'll totally own up to.

Reactions:
With all due respect, this argument sounds like an ultimatum...Buy this at 8 bucks, or Stellaris is done with development.
You obviously misunderstand Johan, here.

He is clearly talking about PDS developing other "species pack with new ships, stations etc" DLC, i.e. graphical DLC of the same type as the Plantoids pack, not talking about future development of the game in general.

Reactions:
8 bucks is overpriced for a graphic pack, I agree. But we have to take into account the animations and the new effects that could've been added for the plantoids. Paradox has explained somewhere their policy for pricing, and since Johan doesn't seem to agree with us on the complaints, I believe any threads complaining about them will be very much moot.

Worth it? In my opinion: no. Less so if you have no intention to play as them. All we can do is shrug it off and move on, there's no convincing to even be attempted here.

Reactions:
I personally see this dlc as a way to show my support of the Developer and the project. In a more or less civilised manner. Bought it as soon as i've seen it.

As soon as it doesn't add anything to game mechanics, no one is oblidged to buy it - so it's totally your choice. You'll get the same experience without it as you will with, So the discussion about the price is somewhat pointless -you don't want it (for this cash) - you don't buy it, Or buy it on discount later.

P.S. Don't forget that the basic price for Stellaris is perfectly reasonable for a project of this scale.

And yes of cause... Bla-bla-bla ofc you have a right to critisize pds dlc polices - but I have my right to disagree with your opinion.

Reactions:
All the EU4 cosmetic packs are around the same price, why the outrage?

Reactions:
The first MAJOR DLC?!! Wow...
That's what it says on the store pages, though the guys on the livestream said that it is incorrect. For the record though, here are screencaps of the store pages:

R6h3tu7.png

u0UjsIJ.png

Reactions:
With all due respect, this argument sounds like an ultimatum...Buy this at 8 bucks, or Stellaris is done with development.

It's actually "We can't sell it for cheaper, so if people don't buy this species pack we won't make another species pack"

It's nothing about development on Stellaris as a whole, please chill

Reactions:
If by animated art you mean the paper doll movements of the 2d images at joints, i guess you could call that animated. Its not even on par with Galciv 2 animation.

It will still affect the price. But the main point was NOT in animations but in the fact that you buy detailed portraits, portraits that were done with an artist with no reference (if you ever tried to commission an artist, you'd know that they make you pay quite a bit more if you don't give them references) while ships&stations by themselves can freely be sold as its own DLC.

Reactions:
Wait, not to pick on you, but you bought it at 7.99, yet you hope it was a mislabel?

I've done the same. I know its overpriced but I still bought it, hoping that maybe it was a mistake. No sense of money you see. I just fling it around if I think it will gratify me. And it did.

REOvl8b.png

HES SO CUTE.

Reactions:
If we just go about "manmonths spent" and compare to pricing we've done previously on other games, then 7.99$ is extremely cheap..

If 7.99$ does not work as a price point for a species pack with new ships, stations etc, then I doubt we'll ever make another..
Well, exclusively from a consumer point of view, the entire DLC is superficial with no gameplay elements. This is why people don't believe the price is appropriate. I do think from screenshots that the ship models and whatnot look great, and that some of the portraits are neat, though some (most?) are...forgettable. However, with zero added gameplay, I personally will be skipping it. Unfortunately, I believe I i am not alone in skipping it which again is why the price point is too high. You alienate customers and end up with a net loss compared to a more appropriate price for a graphic-only dlc (something more akin to $3-5)

Here's what would've made this an excellent DLC: Add plant themed events. Many of us are starving for more content, and events seem to be a very simple thing to add to the game. Having them all plant-themed would be appropriate to the DLC, and would also set the stage for adding more themed & event-based DLC in the future (something I am certain I would gobble up)

Reactions:
As I said in another thread. I hate to say it, as I buy all the cosmetic DLC, but 8$ seems like a lot for just some art/cosmetics.

You can buy The Way of Life with that amount of money. For just 2 more dollars you can an Expansion pack or two for 10$. For all other games their cosmetics packs have all been for under 6$ with most at 5$ or under.

Reactions:
I've done the same. I know its overpriced but I still bought it, hoping that maybe it was a mistake. No sense of money you see. I just fling it around if I think it will gratify me. And it did.

REOvl8b.png

HES SO CUTE.

Great, now I'm gunna buy it too. THANKS CUTE ALIEN ghghkhkjsdhsgj GRrrrrrr

Reactions:
For me it sounds that they will make no more species pack not stopping the whole developing of stellaris.
Except for the fact that they have stated in the past that these graphic and flavor DLC's for their games are there to also fund additional development for "free patches", and also that they base their decisions for development of games on how well a game sells. I want this game to suceed, I bought it on day one for that reason. I think this is essentially a shot in their own feet.

Reactions:
They cost this price AT FIRST. That price drops rather quickly over time, which is why I don't buy cosmetic DLC's until after a bit of time, and usually in bulk during big sales.

EDIT: I managed to forget who I was replying to (beats forehead)

Reactions:
Well, exclusively from a consumer point of view, the entire DLC is superficial with no gameplay elements. This is why people don't believe the price is appropriate. I do think from screenshots that the ship models and whatnot look great, and that some of the portraits are neat, though some (most?) are...forgettable. However, with zero added gameplay, I personally will be skipping it. Unfortunately, I believe I i am not alone in skipping it which again is why the price point is too high. You alienate customers and end up with a net loss compared to a more appropriate price for a graphic-only dlc (something more akin to $3-5)

Agreed. Skipping it

Reactions: