• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I guess I just don't understand! Good taste in comedy (one of the lesser known but exceedingly funny Python skits); not a bad gamer (a little beligerent maybe, but, all things considered.... ;) ); but - well I digress (and obscess a bit...).

Nice to see what in the Wide World of Sports Burgundy is up to, but isn't this a tad off topic? Not that I'm really complaining, but maybe a new thread is in order. That's just me typing out loud - I could certainly be (and, according to my wife, am usually) wrong! :rolleyes:

Looking at your previous post, all I could think of was 'the sea, the sea' (followed by wrong AAR) and check off which provinces Burgundy needed to take. Looks like you were on the same channel, at least at that point.

No reason a protestant can't be elected Holy Roman Emperor. Not everyone likes the Hapsburgs, you know.

France must be done for, if the Scots attack them, too. The world is not big enough for both France and Burgundy.

And, I suppose in honor of your pic, Bobby got the record last night!

Vann

Production Diary: Day 8 (In which there are no screens because I am at work...)

Hey...what am I doing posting from work, anyway? Don't I have more important things to do? Well, yes...but it is my lunch hour so I figured it couldn't hurt to get some things taken care of now so I can use time better to update later in the day. Or something like that...

Let's get to some quick fb-fb here,

Director said:
If a Protestant can be elected Holy Roman Emperor then methinks he doth NOT 'protest' too much. Perhaps a good word was put in by the Bishop?

Hey, hookers are fair game but go easy on the 50-year-old jokes. We senior citizens deserve some respect! :p

I'd like to see what you carved off France before I comment any more.
Ha ha...that's a good one, Director. I must say, I was truly shocked...but then you knew that because I was talking to you when it happened. ;) As for the hooker, I didn't think I could go any older without disgusting myself and the reader, and those young ones can go all night...so I am told. Never been to a hooker myself...well, I don't think so...there was that one woman in Vegas that kept letting me buy her drinks...do you think? :eek:

WhisperingDeath said:
I guess I just don't understand! Good taste in comedy (one of the lesser known but exceedingly funny Python skits); not a bad gamer (a little beligerent maybe, but, all things considered.... ;) ); but - well I digress (and obscess a bit...).

Nice to see what in the Wide World of Sports Burgundy is up to, but isn't this a tad off topic? Not that I'm really complaining, but maybe a new thread is in order. That's just me typing out loud - I could certainly be (and, according to my wife, am usually) wrong! :rolleyes:
What can I say, WP? There's no accounting for taste in a person. Besides, I am eclectic...or something along those lines. Yeah, that's it. :D

As for the Burgundy AAR, see below.

Chief Ragusa said:
Looking at your previous post, all I could think of was 'the sea, the sea' (followed by wrong AAR) and check off which provinces Burgundy needed to take. Looks like you were on the same channel, at least at that point.

No reason a protestant can't be elected Holy Roman Emperor. Not everyone likes the Hapsburgs, you know.

France must be done for, if the Scots attack them, too. The world is not big enough for both France and Burgundy.
It was rather funny when you commented on that earlier since I was doing that exact thing. Hey - great minds and all that, right? As for the Protestant Emperor, I dunno...that's really odd. But not impossible, I suppose. Re: France/Burgundy, more later.

Vann the Red said:
And, I suppose in honor of your pic, Bobby got the record last night!

Vann
Indeed he did, Vann. And I missed it while I was up and around doing something. But then I understand many people missed it because it was a rather low-key toss for him. Still and all - to be thrown out of more games than John McGraw? That takes some talent.

Update on MAGNA MUNDI BURGUNDY Game:​

There's no actual update, but rather a question since Whispering Death brought it up and a few others have admitted some confusion.

Do the readers mind that I am relating another game in the comments for this original Brandenburg game?

I thought it might help the time pass to give you all a little extra info...call it bonus material...just to spice up the production diaries. But if they are confusing, I can stop or start a new thread, but honestly, I don't really want to write an AAR on it - just touch on some highlights. There is the fact that it's Magna Mundi which a few people are testing out. That's how we got started on this topic. But I will certainly heed the reader's advice and request if discussing the MM game impeeds too much on Germany. Let me know. As always - I aim to please. Well...actually, I don't always aim to please...only sometimes...well...not even then really. In point of fact, I don't know that I ever aim to "please" so much as "impress" or "awe" or...well you get the picture - actually no you don't since I am at work and can't post pics. Hmmm...what to do? :p

And in the event you didn't catch it above...update tonight. :)

GERAvatar.jpg

* * *​

With colonial ventures successful and the funds of our realm healthy, Christian turned once again to the “western problem.” Having defeated the French so easily in 1713, it was assumed that a continuation of the war would go as smoothly. We were solidly behind our Lord and so too were the people of Germany. Given the King’s record, there were very few that might have suggested we were in for a long and tedious struggle. Prior to the declaration being sent to Louis XVIII of France, King Christian did enter into a royal marriage alliance with Sicily, but they would not help us versus France. When the offer was once more put to Burgundy, they too declined but did not revoke our access. Thus, war was promptly declared in April of 1721.

DoWFrance1721.jpg

The invasion plans had changed little since the previous war, it having gone so successfully. Troops had already been stationed inside Burgundy to strike fast and armies moved from as far away as the former Ottoman lands. After securing the sieges at Metz, Champagne and Vermandois, it was time to march directly on Paris. The King felt an early strong message would be paramount come the time for a treaty, and what could be stronger than occupying the enemies most cherished city?

MarchonParis-1.jpg

The battle around Paris was short lived and we settled in for a siege with little worries. In fact, figures coming back to court from the front suggested that we were destroying French lives far faster than they were destroying good German soldiers.

CasualtiesinOthe.jpg

By July of that year, all reports suggested that fronts in the New World were moving ahead with little worries and the King felt sure that war might be over far sooner than we might have originally thought.

NewGermanyJuly1721.jpg

But this sense of ease was but a screen for secret fears we all harbored…the French never did stand still and let another conquer them. Unlike the Burgundian dogs, it was at least a saving grace of our foe. That is until our soldiers felt that force. By July of 1721, French forces had moved North and a counter attack in Othe would see the German lines pushed back.

July1721.jpg

It was to our complete surprise - though it should not have been - that Burgundy took that moment to declare war on Auvergne. France would join her ally and vassal and the war grew larger in a fortnight. Taking this opportunity, we pressed our advantage in and around Paris and would chase a French force all the way to Normandie where they were defeated and a siege put in place.

Aug1721.jpg

After raising war taxes, we would also be buoyed by the news that Slesvig had fallen into our hands once again and we pressed further north into French Denmark. Through September, we would wait for further news from New Germany hoping that the colonial front was still strong. Thankfully, the news did come and our hopes were justified.

ColoniesOct1721.jpg

And at home, our renewed push into Othe was surely aided by the fresh pressure brought by Philip XI of Burgundy. In a lopsided affair, we would turn the French back once more and resume our siege of that province.

Oct1721.jpg

Near the end of October, a string of fortresses fell one after the other…Metz, Vermandois, Kanawha, Palermo and Lyonnais. It was clear we were the masters in this war and the French push had been but momentary. Foix and Auvergne both begged for a white peace between our realms. Christian had no designs on tiny Foix and so allowed them to return home. But Auvergne was not to be let off so easily. The request was returned to them unanswered. After all, Christian was aware of something they were not. The largest battle of the war thus far was about to begin. Our King had no reason to agree to peace with the enemy prior to our assured victory. In November of 1721, a combined army of Burgundians and Germans met the French King in the fields outside of Dijon. There, the war would surely be won.

BattleofBourgogne.jpg

* * *​

Last edited:
A most enjoyable update! I think you are a good war correspondent (that may be your calling! :rolleyes: ). It seems that French were thoroughly unprepared for your advances in the Americas. Not that they could really stop the juggernaut that Germany has become.

Regarding the Burgundy AAR: I, for one, would love to see this as a new AAR. However, as indicated in your previous post, if you are not interested in creating a new AAR, then I would like the updates to continue (as I have grown accustomed to them :) ).

excellent update! I have to say not much of a cliffhanger though, 20,000 men against 8,000 is not exactly a crapshoot. What are your overall plans for france? The post war borders aren't gong to look to pretty unless you take some land from Burgundy.

Quick! Annex France before the machine gun is invented! Not that your pace is slow, but it would take many wars...

Nice to see someone smacking France around as Germany. I know I didn't manage it at all, but you've impressed me not only with becoming Germany but on how well you are doing to not only expand and take back Constantinople, but how well you are handling France.

Just how big is your BB right now?

If the French win that battle then Louis the XVIII must be some serious dude. :eek:

Joe

My question is how did France get to Louis XVIII WAy before the Revolution? I could have sworn that Louis the XVI got his head cut off, or has my memory failed me?

Amric said:
My question is how did France get to Louis XVIII WAy before the Revolution? I could have sworn that Louis the XVI got his head cut off, or has my memory failed me?

You know, superglue works wonders... :rolleyes: .

Production Diary: Day 9 (In which we rock on...or something)

And we're back and pleased that you enjoyed the previous update. You'll notice that I have now fully moved into the von Schwerin narration and he lives for a bit longer so I am thinking to stick with the style that got me here...at least for now. I reserve the right to change that at any time.

And to be honest, I am finding it pretty easy to get back into the feel of how I was writing this and that feels good. I think I was telling a pretty decent story (It was crap!, says the chair)...hey now! Well, it wasn't Dickens, but it'll do pig, it'll do. Let's get to a bit of the old fb-fb before we get to the big Burgundy battle.

Snake IV said:
A cliffhanger. How exciting. I have idea hwo this battle, nor this war, will end.

Still, nice update
Thank you sir. And yes, it wasn't so much a question of who would win so much as the coolness of the shot, I thought. Never really looked at the line of troops in a combined battle like that. Of course, Burgundy had the lead since their King was there. Turned out all right.

WhisperingDeath said:
A most enjoyable update! I think you are a good war correspondent (that may be your calling! ). It seems that French were thoroughly unprepared for your advances in the Americas. Not that they could really stop the juggernaut that Germany has become.

Regarding the Burgundy AAR: I, for one, would love to see this as a new AAR. However, as indicated in your previous post, if you are not interested in creating a new AAR, then I would like the updates to continue (as I have grown accustomed to them ).
There is certainly enough war to report, no doubt. The French, to my irritation, were actually pretty savvy in NA, but it took them awhile to get it together. Since I was set up pretty good in the south and could funnel through the Shawnee lands, it was really the northeast that brought the biggest battles. They fought well, but there were too many of me...and too good for 'em.

theycallmetight said:
excellent update! I have to say not much of a cliffhanger though, 20,000 men against 8,000 is not exactly a crapshoot. What are your overall plans for france? The post war borders aren't gong to look to pretty unless you take some land from Burgundy.
Indeed, it was pretty much a fait accompli, but fun while it lasted. As for France after the war...well, we ain't done after this war. And you are on to something with Burgundy. Can't say what just yet.

stephanbathory said:
Germany pounding on France?

Where have I heard this one before?
The question is...where will you hear it again and how many times? I think we all know the answer to that one.

germanpeon said:
Quick! Annex France before the machine gun is invented! Not that your pace is slow, but it would take many wars...
You bring up a good point. I could have tried to vassalize them, but since I waited so late to really get moving, there was little chance to annex that way. And I wanted the land now. Besides, it certainly gave me something to do for the last 50 years.

Sr. Toledo said:
What is the status of the vile Protestant Heresy in Europe in this era?
Good question...gimme a sec and let me look through my screens...

Europereligion1682.jpg

That's what it looked like in 1682. Since then, of course, I have been converting the Turks and successfully, I might add. I've also had a little luck against some of those reformed provinces, but my tolerance for them is set pretty high. I went with Deus Vult and that pretty much halted any spread after that.

Deus said:
Hmm. Coz if you keep us in suspense somebody is going to rupture a bloodvessel or something.
Now we don't want that. Luckily, the level of suspense is about as thick as wrapping paper...cheap wrapping paper.

Amric said:
Nice to see someone smacking France around as Germany. I know I didn't manage it at all, but you've impressed me not only with becoming Germany but on how well you are doing to not only expand and take back Constantinople, but how well you are handling France.

Just how big is your BB right now?
I agree enitrely. And thank you for that compliment. I tried to role play the conquering as best I could to make it believable, and the retaking of Constantinople was, for me, the height of the spree. This stuff with France, et al is just gravy. As for BB, I stopped paying attention by this point. The last I can figure it, it was "tarnished" and that was before I had caused the untimely demise of the Turk.

Storey said:
If the French win that battle then Louis the XVIII must be some serious dude.

Joe
From what I recall, he actually was a bit of a badass - thus the large army I have set up against him. And with these numbers, surely it can't fail. Right?

Amric said:
This Louis is of course not the same Louis, it being EUIII and all. They've had quite a few Louis' over the years as you might expect. By my count, my Kings names have been better. But then I am biased, right?

WhisperingDeath said:
You know, superglue works wonders...
Indeed it does. And methinks he'll need it again.

Well, I promised you a battle the other day and I am not one to disappoint...well, not always. Certainly not now. After beating France down with my trusty allies, we had them cornered in Toulouse, the Castilians to their west, Savoy to their north and us coming at them from all sides. I offered them a peace deal prior to the battle:

OfferFrancepeace.jpg

I thought it reasonable, and before you stop to tell me they'd never accept because the war score is not high enough (well, how could it be over 100%?) - in this very game France accepted peace the last time for a healthy bit over the war score I had against them. I wasn't asking for over 100% like this time, but I was really surprised when they said yes. Would it work again? Not on your life. So, I literally came at them from all sides and five different armies (one of them Savoyard) assaulted them in waves to produce this:

BattleofToulouse.jpg

I literally thought they would fight me to the very last French cook...I mean, come on! But finally, they gave in...

VictoryinToulouse.jpg

And in fact, I had. From there, you can imagine it was smooth sailing. This, of course, was about the time Milan showed up at the party. They were kind of like those people in college who used to show up just as the party was winding down. Everyone was pretty wasted and just wanted to get some sleep but these folks would stay a while, pick over the leftover party favors and slink out after overstaying their welcome...and they were never invited...yeah - just overkill Milan. But alas, I am overkilling this joke. So, let's sign off now. I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Oh...and update probably Saturday, if not tomorrow. But not tonight. Tonight the Braves go for the sweep. Of course, it's against San Fran, but still. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
coz1 said:

Well, I promised you a battle the other day and I am not one to disappoint...well, not always. Certainly not now. After beating Burgundy down with my trusty allies, we had them cornered in Toulouse, the Castilians to their west, Savoy to their north and us coming at them from all sides. I offered them a peace deal prior to the battle:

You are Burgundy. Of course the French refused your peace offer. They thought they were going to win the battle. The question in both your games is which provinces shall we take off the French

Chief Ragusa said:
You are Burgundy. Of course the French refused your peace offer. They thought they were going to win the battle. The question in both your games is which provinces shall we take off the French
Indeed you are correct. Even I can't keep them straight anymore. I need to play a game with someone way the hell away from Europe, I've been battling on these same fields so long. :rolleyes:

Good catch, Chief. ;)

I would suggest trying someone in Russia, It looks awfully fun out there. I like how you switch in between two aars, double the fun. Good job with france you don't see an army like that destroyed every day. How many men do you think you lost attacking in waves like that?