• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hm...from one of Fried's statements in the first part one can infer he thinks most Brandenburgers are ungraceful. :)

Quite a start! And quite a few rulers :X Is it possible to run out? (IE- does it track a family tree?)

I'm rather surprised the current ruler is so popular with the electors after his aggression. You seem to be having an easy time of it in wars thus far. How do you think the game's going?

Ah, coz, I sense another great read in the making, especially considering what you've provided thus far has been, in a word, sah-weet!

Things seem to be working out pretty easily for you thus far into the game. I echo Cat's question about the game, how is the game doing?

Fb-fb:

Thanks for stopping by everyone and all the kind words. Let me answer a couple of questions in bulk since several people inquired:

As for the game itself, I did seem to have an easier time of it once I was elected HRE the first time. From that time on, it didn't seem as though I needed to do too much to keep the title. I don't want to give anything away, but I'll say I kept some electors like Cologne and The Palatinate the whole way through, while others were bounced out or flipped around. So as long as I had my own vote and at least two others, I was sitting pretty, especially manpower-wise as you can imagine.

As well I never let my rep get any worse that slightly tarnished. I timed my wars as best I could to be at full strength and morale and was picking on easier pickings. At least after the war with Poland to start (and a bump a little later that I'll get to.) It has been mostly smooth sailing after that except for $ woes. I never seem to have enough. :rolleyes:

To Fiftypence - yes, Mecklenburg still has a trading house in Lubeck (their capital.)

And CatKnight - I don't know if you can run out, but I doubt since they are randomly generated. I am wondering if and when I might get some seconds and thirds (though I did get Joachim II Nestor.) My problem was I needed leadership and they kept dying in battle. It wasn't as bad as one might think at first but then...well, just wait. ;)

And finally, I hope to get another update up later today if time and the forum allow it. Glad you are all reading and enjoying. Thanks again!

BrandenburgLogo.jpg

* * *​

And so it was that in 1476, I was approached by von Defflinger to inquire as to the feasibility of warring with the trading giant of Mecklenburg. For years, the strongest partner in the Hanseatic League, they had consistently used their upper hand to seemingly control all trading done in the north. However, recent years had seen them humbled, first by a winning but disastrous war with Denmark that netted them financially sound but militarily weak. Denmark soon repaid the favor by taking back some of their lost land and France soon followed suit and reduced Mecklenburg to the three provinces of Bremen, Hamburg and Lubeck itself with it’s still strong trading house.

The Emperor had decided that the time was right to strike, especially as he had kept his army at full strength the previous years after the fall of Münster. I had wondered why this was the case and had repeatedly asked Peurbach if he had any knowledge of some further military action to take place but the steward simply shrugged his shoulders each time and walked away not wishing to second guess his liege Lord.

So when von Derfflinger asked my opinion on the matter of a war with Mecklenburg, I was not shocked as much as saddened. Further, I was worried, as the very same war that had prompted Wilhelm Friedrich to ready his armies had left a sour taste in the minds ofa few electors. You see, Austria had just been to war with tiny Münster but had sued for peace demanding only a payment of reparations. Their conflict was due to some minor border issues, if memory serves me now. But in their weakened state, the Emperor had taken full advantage and annexed them in little time at all. The Habsburg’s ceased being a supporter after that, and privately I do not mind writing that I did not blame them in the least.

In point of fact, I believe that accounts for why Austria too declared war on Mecklenburg not long after our Emperor did, perhaps hoping to take the rich spoils the Emperor had decided upon. I shared my own misgivings only to von Derfflinger as I did not wish to upset Wilhelm Friedrich, but it seemed a decision beyond my meager words and thus, the Emperor declared war in 1476, triumphantly marching at the head of our forces himself.

The siege expert, Schach moved swiftly to take the trading house in Lubeck and kept all forces from interrupting his progress handily. The Emperor and Friedrich Wilhelm von Bühler had some slight more trouble at first. You see, two things both helped and hindered this fight. The first is the aforementioned declaration of war on Mecklenburg by Austria. Their forces were quickly moved into Bremen as that was the provocation the Emperor gave for declaring in the first place. Brandenburg had a claim, and a strong one, and the Habsburg’s assumed they might take it for themselves as payment for the loss of Münster.

The other setback was a surprise announcement from Friesland that they would honor their call to fight against us and alongside Mecklenburg. For years, the Emperor had tried to cultivate a relationship with princes further to the west, and as we now held land adjacent to Friesland, there were high hopes of a vassalage. Thus we were forced to protect our western flank and the loss of extra forces made sweeping the field of the Mecklenburg army that much more difficult. However, Friesland did only invade once and were repelled without great harm.

And the Austrian forces were some help, unbeknownst to them, at lessoning those armies of our foe thus that once Wilhelm Friedrich moved into Hamburg, there was nowhere for them to run. In good time, both Lubeck and Hamburg were under control by Brandenburg and Austria held Bremen. The Habsburg’s had little choice but to sue for peace only asking for reparations as they had been thwarted in gaining any other land than this. And once they went home, our armies swiftly moved to take the prize we had desired all along – Bremen. Within months, the castle fell and we had an upper hand so large that anything we asked for would be accepted.

The irony of all this is not lost on me as I recall those days. Our Emperor had plunged our land into war with grand hopes and did not live to see the final act of the play. I remember well traveling to Lubeck with the Prince Albrecht as we went to meet his father and the Mecklenburg ambassadors for the peace conference. The Prince was very happy, as he had just had word that our forces had also invaded Friesland and subdued them in quick succession, demanding they become our vassals. It was von Derfflinger who settled that peace if I am correct.

It was a warm day, strangely for so early in May and we had just arrived in Lubeck almost two years to the day after starting the war. When we had settled our horses and began movement to the great hall, a distraught page suddenly stopped us. Out of breath and near tears, he was finally able to muster the strength to announce to us, “The Emperor is dead!” Taking a long look at the Prince, he then went on, “Long live the Emperor!”

Well, we were both flabbergasted, as one might imagine. Though I admit a certain amount of relief also came over me. I looked to our Prince and said with a caring manner, “Let us not get too far ahead of ourselves, my Lord. We know not what the electors will do especially after this time of war. First allow us to visit with these ambassadors and settle this peace.”

He wisely nodded and tossed the page a gold coin. We did meet with the Mecklenburg diplomats and they were rightly sympathetic to our plight. They were further overjoyed to accept only passing over the province of Bremen and accepting to become our vassals. I am sure they assumed the peace terms would be far harsher than that. But I had shrewdly explained to Albrecht that we should try to appear humble and giving as any proper Emperor should. And this was indeed the wise move, for as we found when we had returned to Berlin, the electors had received word and voted once more for our liege Lord as our next Emperor. It was 1478 when the Prince took the title Emperor Albrecht Friedrich I.

Brandenburg1476.jpg

Thanks, Director. Check the post just above yours as I was updating as you were posting. :)

Coz you little warmonger! :eek: Great start but don’t get too rambunctious. :D

Joe

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Looks like Hungary has been somebody's plaything! :D

Great to see the northern German confederation coming along, so!

Rensslaer

Quite a powerbase up there in northern Germany now. Well ensconced, and well placed to 'descend' into southern Germany.

Nice. I sense a move to attempt a reduction in bad feelings among your neighbors. I have a fear that Austria is going to become a constant thorne from here on out... or at least until they have become absorbed, eh? ;)

I have a feeling that a war with Austria is soon to come. :cool:

And, what is that? A frech Halland. Run, run for the hills.

Fb-fb:

Duke of Wellington - Very true, but the one problem is that it is going to take much gold to get relations back to where they need to be for that to happen. I have been steadily working on Hesse and have them just about ready, but both Friesland and Mecklenburg are negative relations at this point. Still and all - I have ten years to do it.

Storey - Yes, yes - I know. :rolleyes: But I did try to get my rep back to respectable before the next "adventure." Thanks for reading.

Renss - Now how can you see Hungary on that map? True - Bohemia has gotten a bit out of control. I took the risk and accepted a marriage proposal from them hoping that might keep me safe to the east.

J. Passepartout - You have no idea. It provides a tremendous manpower boost that makes fielding warmongering armies so much easier. ;)

Fiftypence - They do their best. Lots more to come if I can recall it all with little screenies and no history log. Hopefully I'll be able to be much more informative when I've caught up to the initial 40 years I played.

stnylan - And that is something we shall have to deal with once I get to the 1490's.

Draco Rexus - Indeed, I was always worried about letting relations get too low with electors, though it surprised me how many continued to support me even when relations dipped below +100. As for Austria - wait and see. ;)

Snake IV - I'm glad you noticed France up there. And they don't stop at that. As we get closer to the 1490's, I'll discuss it in a little more detail.

Thanks for reading, everyone, and certainly for all your comments. Once more, I hope to have an update up later in the day. Until then...

That went very well I think, although the Emperor didn’t live to see it concluded. Still I think the new Emperor seems like a good ruler actually being pretty reasonable to the defeated enemies and giving them a peace that they found reasonable and not harsh at all. Good to see that the electors still respect and like you so that you are still Emperor :)

Thanks Lord E. And yes, as we shall see, Albrecht was a fine Emperor.

The next update is ready and I will post it in just a moment. I apologize for the lack of game shots, but I just did not have many from this period. I tried to make up for it with some other stuff though, and trust that I do have many more from the game itself coming soon.

Thanks for reading and commenting, all!

BrandenburgLogo.jpg

* * *​

The rise to the Imperial throne of Albrecht Friedrich I was a great day for both our own realm and the wider Empire. It heralded a new dawn for all electors and princes to see. And the Emperor himself was a kindly man, not one to fly off in a rage, but rather calm and thoughtful on most subjects, save those that dealt with his wife, the Empress Katherine. And he was not a young man anymore, as his father had been quite aged at taking his crown. When Albrecht ascended, he was no less than fifty summers along in his life.

AlbrechtFriedrichI.jpg

But he burst forth with the energy and vigor of a younger man as he went about the business of putting things in order for Brandenburg. His first task was to take full stock of the military of the realm. He was quite saddened when he heard the news that the great Schach had passed away on his return trip to Berlin. But the Emperor was quick to assign Diedrick von Quernheimberg as his replacement to lead the famed cavalry of the realm. And this new general was insistent that the Brandenburg military was far too dependent on foot soldiers and not near enough on horse. Cavalry would be expensive to maintain, but the Emperor spared no expense.

Further, he was sure to allow for full recruitment to replace those lost in the previous war before he quietly cut maintenance of the army in half so as to save on some coin. It had been necessary, as Peurbach argued, for our inflation levels were rising. Given that Albrecht had many more building projects in mind, he knew he would need to save his money wherever he might.

One of the greatest outcomes of the war with Mecklenburg was finally gaining direct access to the sea that our realm had so long sought. The port at Bremen was a fine one and much trade entered and exited through there. However, Albrecht had other notions. One of his first directives to von Derfflinger was to begin construction of a grand Brandenburg fleet. Soon, the shipyards were bursting with activity as in four years, three great carracks were built and construction began on further small cogs to ferry men around if necessary. The age was moving on, and Albrecht would not be caught shortsighted.

carrack.jpg

To help finance much of this expenditure, Albrecht also began funding the building of workshops in each town beginning in Berlin. His hope was to raise the standard of living, thereby raising the amount of taxes he could extract from those wealthy merchants. The people in each town were pleased to see interest taken in their favor, even if they had no idea of the ulterior motive. The first workshop was built in 1480, and very quickly more were begun such that soon, the imperial coffers began seeing a much healthier line.

Life in Brandenburg during these years was a wondrous thing for many. People from all around would travel to our lands hoping to gain favor with their grand Emperor, and several Hanovarian families began moving north, perhaps to escape the more harsh natures of the Habsburg and Palatine houses. However, they were proud to live in our lands and call them one of us. And that we did. Even provinces such as Lüneburg and Mecklenburg, so long ago taken as spoils of war, now found themselves unable to think of a day when they were not a member of our realm. To announce to my Lord that we would most likely not be seeing revolt come from there was a proud day in this chroniclers life.

Relations with the other members of the Empire were rising as well. Albrecht decided to forgive the old animosities we held with the land of Cologne, even if they had moved to a direct monarchy (as an effect of holding several grand bishoprics in their lands as of late.) A marriage was even entered into between their prince, Clemens August I and our Emperor’s niece. To further cement ties, an alliance was even signed. The times seemed so far removed from what we had seen just years before. In fact, Emperor Albrecht even went so far as to marry off another niece into the Habsburg realm and friendly notes were exchanged between Karl I, their prince, and his honored Emperor. Relations with The Palatinate were at an all time high such that we feared not an invasion from their Saxon lands. The prospects for peace and security were never before at our fingertips as they were during the glorious reign of Albrecht Friedrich.

But wonderment cannot be had forever as the goings on in the Emperor’s personal household could attest. You see the Emperor had two sons. The eldest, Johann, was a strong lad and intelligent. Perhaps too much so as he goaded his younger brother mercilessly as children and the two constantly fought. And the Emperor was rather more fond of the younger boy, Georg. But the Empress Katherine was not so enamored with her second son. She favored the former. And always stood at his side in any disagreement.

FamilyTreeforBrandenburgthrough1493.jpg

I must tell you that only once in all my years under this Emperor’s employ did I ever have cause to second-guess him. In the year of our Lord 1480, poor Georg was sent away. The Emperor suggested to us all that the lad needed time away from the imperial court to grow into a man. He was young still, not yet having seen his sixteenth summer, but not so young as to need any further great education. He was already as smart as a whip. But the Emperor insisted, or more than likely his wife did, that the boy be sent off to live in Bremen. The Emperor was inconsolable for months after that, but occasionally would say that he knew we should have a fine navy indeed if his boy was watching over the project.

Perhaps this was so, but at the time, I was not favorable towards our Emperor and though he knew it, he did not ever once chastise me for he knew me to be right. It was such that his kindness was great. And eventually I did forgive him in my heart, as any good Christian should. But it was perhaps too late, as the day eventually came that our great Emperor, only a short four years into his reign, died in his sleep. I have reason in my mind to think it was something far more sinister, but my heart must only morn the great man that did more in four short years than most men could think to do in a lifetime. The great Albrecht Friedrich I will be missed always by this poor soul. And I missed him more than ever in the weeks and months just after his untimely demise, as you shall soon see.

JohannCiceroelectedEmperor.jpg

Ahh, so from what I understand so far, :) you already finished the game?

I enjoyed it :) No doubt Emperor is a brilliant bonus as long there are plenty of states.

Cheers

Sap.