• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I surely hope so, I could only play VtM in 3rd person.
Seeing my beautiful Nosferatu face all the time was a treat.

I came here to say the same thing.

Paradox, please do not fall into this pretentious "this is hardcore oldschoolz because first personz" trap. It is a bloody waste if we can not get a look at our lovingly created characters, or behold those visceral vampiric combat moves.

Not to mention this excuse that "first person is more realistic" is false and poorly thought out to say the least. In reality you can move your body independent of where you are looking (and vice versa) i.e. you can attack / shoot / grab or perform any other action at any given direction while looking in some other direction. First person in games however makes this completely impossible. Blindfire for example, which is a common occurrence in real life combat, is an impossibility in first person games. There are hundreds of similar actions in martial arts, wrestling, kenjutsu etc. First person offers realistic perspective, but highly unrealistic gameplay. It thoroughly limits the scope of combat.

By all means, keep first person as an option for those that like it. But allow third person as an option as well. Not going to pay for this if there is no third person option.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm worried about this too.

Even though it's "not actual gameplay" the trailer heavily implies 1st person and the devs were vague about it during the interview. The interviewer mentioned "not being able to see herself in the mirror" implying that's the only way one could see themselves (due to 1st person) and while that was pure speculation the devs said nothing to correct her or imply otherwise.

I guess it's possible gameplay is 1st person while conversations are 3rd. Still, I want 3rd person all the way. Anything less would hurt a lot. Hope this gets clarified soon.

The game is an immersive first person only experience, but it does feature some moments where you'll see your character in third person view.

The game doesn't have a full third person mode, but there will be several ways to see your characters in 3rd person view, but we can't share any specifics at the moment though. :)

The game is an immersive first person only experience, but it does feature some moments where you'll see your character in third person view.

The game doesn't have a full third person mode, but there will be several ways to see your characters in 3rd person view, but we can't share any specifics at the moment though. :)

First person adds little if anything to immersion. It takes away in fact, by limiting your actions and perception to the small rectangular area in front of you. It is neither realistic nor immersive as I tried to explain in my previous post. First person is also more likely to cause problems like motion sickness.

I expect the "several ways to see your characters in 3rd person view" are cut-scenes and the inventory screen. You can at least consider adding a 3rd person option during walking / running and conversations. It does not require any new fancy animations on your part. It does not really address the issues with first person gameplay but I will take that as an intermediate compromise.

I know you are not a developer so please do not take this personally. Would be grateful if you could forward our feedback to the dev team.

Last edited:
I came here to ask for this as well and see it's answered, sadly it seems like more and more rpgs these days are forgoing third person for some strange reason.

Cyberpunk 2077
The Outer Worlds

and now this game, three big games I was looking forward to (and still am) but it's REALLY disappointing that they are all ditching third person, especially since most rpgs used to offer the choice at least.

I played through all of Bloodlines in third person. One of the main reasons I enjoy rpgs is to see how my character changes over the game, getting new outfits/armor/items, and I spend entirely too much time on the customization.

I read that Bloodlines 2 was going to have some insane customization options and it seems rather strange that these games are offering these and then restricting you to first person so you will only see them in cutscenes or such and can't simply toggle to third person to enjoy it.

I'm one of the lucky ones though since I don't get motion sickness and can still play in first person, but there are people that absolutely can't play first person game sbecause of this and it really sucks that they'll have to miss out on an amazing looking game because it has to be restricted to first person only.

Like just walking/running around, wouldn't the animations for that be shared with the same npc's and animation rigs? If so wouldn't that make offering third person within exploration something that might be accomplished without a ton of extra work at the devs expense? That would be a good middle ground. Then it can switch back to first person when you talk/enter combat or such.

Cyberpunk 2077 all over again. Really disappointing.

Well to the devs: I for one love first person experience, so it works for me, however, I can see how others may like that third person view, and it still is very "immersive" to have that view, so I don't feel that is a very strong argument to limit view to first person. I guess my question to developers is why the choice to limit views? Is it to save on development resources? To save on system resources for the gameplay? Is it for visual aesthetic purposes? Just would be interested in the rationale.

First person adds little if anything to immersion. It takes away in fact, by limiting your actions and perception to the small rectangular area in front of you. It is neither realistic nor immersive as I tried to explain in my previous post.

You have a really strange view of "realistic", bud. Step away from your screen and look around, right now. Are you looking at yourself in some kind of disembodied third-person view? No? First-person view is as real as it gets. It's real in the most literal sense. First-person view is how we experience the real world. As a consequence, it's also literally the most immersive point of view.

I remember all of these arguments from the official Cyberpunk 2077 forum, and I'm seeing the same patterns repeating here. People who complain about "immersion" and "realism" don't know what those words actually mean. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings or to embarrass you. I'm just saying that maybe you should re-evaluate your views.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately for me, I don't play 1st person games. Hopefully for future games they will consider having a 3rd person option.

It's so unfortunate...

I have a condition that doesn't allow me to play FPP games for too long (30-40 minutes max), otherwise I get a huge headache and nausea, and I'm out for the rest of the day. It has something to do with an inner ear and, according to my research, it influences approximately 20-25% of all gamers. It doesn't get better with age, so I had to skip many games I would otherwise love to play. That's why I played the original VtM:B in third-person perspective. I finished it dozens of times, loved every minute of it and I was soooo hyped for the sequel.

Please, please, consider adding a TPP for others like me who would love to play and enjoy the game for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Nausea and headache breaks immersion way better that third-person perspective, trust me.

It can still be immersive and fun, but more enjoyable for people with this weird case of "gaming sickness". And I’m sure there are others like me who will restrain themselves from buying VtM:B2 just because FPP will make the suffer.

Well, I can't say I'm extremely worried because it seems that this game is adopting the PDX doctrine of being open to mods, so I expect a third person mod to be the one of the first things coming out for it, perhaps even right out of the gate.
However, that is a deal breaker for me and will unfortunately prevent me from buying it day 1 until I see such mod in action (pre-order is off the table as well, obviously).

You have a really strange view of "realistic", bud. Step away from your screen and look around, right now. Are you looking at yourself in some kind of disembodied third-person view? No? First-person view is as real as it gets. It's real in the most literal sense. First-person view is how we experience the real world. As a consequence, it's also literally the most immersive point of view.

I remember all of these arguments from the official Cyberpunk 2077 forum, and I'm seeing the same patterns repeating here. People who complain about "immersion" and "realism" don't know what those words actually mean. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings or to embarrass you. I'm just saying that maybe you should re-evaluate your views.
The biggest problem with first person to me is about peripheral vision.
Whenever I play a FP game, I always feel like I'm a horse with blinders on.
Third person isn't exactly perfect there either, it goes too far in the opposite direction, but at least I don't feel like I'm a horse anymore.
So yes, I do feel like TP is more immersive than FP.
The only real solution is VR, even ultra wide doesn't quite solve the issue for me.

I'm one of the lucky ones though since I don't get motion sickness and can still play in first person, but there are people that absolutely can't play first person game sbecause of this and it really sucks that they'll have to miss out on an amazing looking game because it has to be restricted to first person only.
I don't get motion sickness either, but I do personally find that being stuck in first person perspective throughout gameplay(i.e. not during cutscenes) makes a game significantly less enjoyable. I find playing those games to be supremely stressful - to the point where they're giving me panic attacks.

I do still play them - most notably the Borderlands games, and more recently Far Cry 5 and it's spin-off - but the sessions tend to be significantly shorter, and I rarely finish any of them. Edit: also,

As far as immersion goes, I'd say that yes, first person perspective can offer more immersion, but that's not the real issue here; more immersion does not equate better enjoyment.

While I'm disappointed by this (I also played in 3rd person in the original), it probably makes things loads easier on the dev team if they only have to make sure every animation and texture on the character works from the 1st person. Plus, from a cinematographic perspective, it means they can more easily control what's in-frame, what the UI may be capable of obscuring, and pad out those particular kind of cutscenes that pretend they aren't. You know, the ones when your character is rooted in place for a scene?

I actually prefer 1st person view. That's why I finished Bloodlines 1 with Tremere, for they are mostly ranged combat oriented.

First person adds little if anything to immersion. It takes away in fact, by limiting your actions and perception to the small rectangular area in front of you. It is neither realistic nor immersive as I tried to explain in my previous post. First person is also more likely to cause problems like motion sickness.

I expect the "several ways to see your characters in 3rd person view" are cut-scenes and the inventory screen. You can at least consider adding a 3rd person option during walking / running and conversations. It does not require any new fancy animations on your part. It does not really address the issues with first person gameplay but I will take that as an intermediate compromise.

I know you are not a developer so please do not take this personally. Would be grateful if you could forward our feedback to the dev team.
First person causes motion sickness if the FOV is narrower than an approximation of your real world FOV (including the unfocused peripheral vision). The Metro games fell into this trap. I hope they include an FOV slider option.

A quick search shows that human FOV is approximately 120 degrees. So the more a game's FOV is below 120 degrees, the more likely to result in motion sickness. Again, I really hope VTMB2 includes an FOV slider option that can go to 120 degrees.

First person causes motion sickness if the FOV is narrower than an approximation of your real world FOV (including the unfocused peripheral vision). The Metro games fell into this trap. I hope they include an FOV slider option.

A quick search shows that human FOV is approximately 120 degrees. So the more a game's FOV is below 120 degrees, the more likely to result in motion sickness. Again, I really hope VTMB2 includes an FOV slider option that can go to 120 degrees.
Yeah, I have absolutely no problem with first-person gameplay but a FOV slider is definitely something that should be mandatory.

I cannot play in first person, because i get dizzy. So, there is a 0% for me to buy this game, unfortunately. The same goes to Cyberpunk 77. Two games i wanted to play, but i can not play.

Status
Not open for further replies.