• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Spain in Axis? Spain was pretty much equal, or not worser than Italy.
Only more land for the Germans to protect...

Spain is 1 province away from a strategic world trade chokepoint which shifts the balance of power.
Italy is a lot of kilometers away from Suez.

Extract of a theater map used for planning/exercise

End of exercise

Global situation in Europe-Africa

[URL=http://imgur.com/zMHTx9j][/URL]

Western Europe

Germany

East Front

Global situation in Asia

South

North

India

China

Siberia

You might consider sharing the save game at the conclusion with the community. Some might be interested.

I'm curious to read Colonel Barrick's AAR as well.

It looks like they really put some effort into providing maps and materials for this. I like it.

God dammit, it was just getting really interesting.

I can only echo the other dudes saying more like this. It raises the game's profile in a quite wonderful way.

Seemed like the Axis had it lost... though trying to push your way all the way through India when China can easily cut off their supplies didn't seem like the best battle plan from the Axis.

Very intersting and a shame it had to end so early.

I did not see anything about the economic sides of war, strategic bombing from the W-Allies to damage the german ability to wage war or to disrupt their logistics on a larger scale, or for that matter submarine warfare to cut off Britain or Japan from supplies and resources. And ofcourse the ASW resources the students would have had to keep in the atlantic.

But either way it was an interesting read, now to read Colonel Barrick's AAR

Edit: Ah I see that Barricks AAR goes in to more detail about the submarine war in the Atlantic.

Last edited:
Seemed like the Axis had it lost... though trying to push your way all the way through India when China can easily cut off their supplies didn't seem like the best battle plan from the Axis.
Japan had no oil left, only the supply depot in Singapore still had around 2000 left. Once this oil gone, the 4 Allied tank divisions would have been able (I presume) to cut through the Japanese lines somewhere. Also, the next step for the USA was to take Taiwan. With the coast in Center/South China under Chinese control, even the supply from Japan to Singapore would have been cut. The destruction of the Japanese forces in India was only a question of time.

The Japanese gambit in India was far from being bad. Actually, it almost succeeded. It should even had succeeded. Two CW LArm were stationed in Calcutta in case the Japanese would try such a thing. Except that it was not expected with such a scale.
China was AI controlled; and the Chinese forces were already fully committed to try to retake their own provinces. Also, the border between China and Burma is very easy to defend. So, no, it would not have been easy for China to cut the Japanese supply in India. Furthermore, even if I had happened, the absolute Japanese control of Bay of Bengal would have ensured that another supply depot would have been created safely (at that time)

It was mentioned that the submarine threat was quickly neutralised. It didn't seem to play a big role in this campaign.
At the beginning of the exercise, the Allied were much more effective than IRL.
Now, if you compare the losses in-game and IRL for the same total period of the exercise, it is interesting to notice that 197 U-boats have been lost in-game (1 unit=5 U-boats) and 202 IRL.

I believe in the end Japan was going to always be doomed with a human USA in play and India just sped up the process.

I found the European theater much more interesting. I believe, based on how the Soviet player was playing, that without the Italian invasion by the Allies, the USSR was going to barely regain pre-war borders by war's end. In this situation the post war border with most likely be somewhere in western Poland.

I believe in the end Japan was going to always be doomed with a human USA in play and India just sped up the process.

I found the European theater much more interesting. I believe, based on how the Soviet player was playing, that without the Italian invasion by the Allies, the USSR was going to barely regain pre-war borders by war's end.

Germany was about to lose the war because it was running short of oil.

Japan... Well, you have to think that this is an online game, and that strategies can be much more diversified than a solo game.
When I first heard about the Japanese threat of declaring war to USSR, my very first thought was that it was a bluff to force the Soviet playerS to weaken the front against Germany. Then, I wondered If I could have missed something and if there could be something else, something really justifying a seemingly insane declaration of war. Then I saw for the Axis a small chance, in a 3 month window, to win the war in Europe and to reach a stalemate worldwide. Fortunately, the Axis players didn't see it,

I did not see anything about the economic sides of war, strategic bombing from the W-Allies to damage the german ability to wage war or to disrupt their logistics on a larger scale, or for that matter submarine warfare to cut off ...Japan from supplies and resources.
Strategic bombing of Germany had started, and was quite effective. Remember that the game was only in 43.
2 months before D-Day, the Allies shifted from strategic bombing in Germany to Logistic strike in France to prevent the German to move its forces easily after D-day. They did that is such a way that the German player couldn't be sure where the invasion would happen.
In the Pacific, I don't remember any strong activity by the submarines, but I remember that large groups of Japanese convoys had started to decorate the sea floor.

Wow just right when the fun started... crap, and +1 to Enclave, the diplomacy after the war would be very interesting
It was way to far beyond the scope of the exercise.

If you read LtCol Barrick's AAR, you will notice that diplomacy played a huge part of the exercise.
Pre-exercise, diplomacy only, conference of Casablanca and decision to follow a Germany first strategy.
The guy who played Roosevelt was LtGen Van Riper (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002 ,you will find this interesting)

Ingame, there was a 1/2 day break for the Conference of Tehran between (another) Roosevelt, Churchill and Staline.
First, the players of the Joint Chief of Staff divided in 3 groups, each including an officer for each country, and each group analyzing the situation (threat, resources, reinforcement, pro, con...). Then the groups merged to provide a global analyse to the Big 3. Then the Big 3 decided what would be the strategy next (France only, or another attempt in Italy/the Balkans...). So, diplomacy was a big part of the exercise.

What mattered before everything else was to defeat Germany. It was really interesting to see the Soviets almost screaming for a 2nd front, when Germany was pushing there very hard. :)

Finally, one thing which is not highlighted in the AAR is that during one of the battle around Rostov, up to 160 divisions were very busy to kill each other. The mother of all the battles.

It was really interesting

Last edited: