• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

taffy3

Darkest Hour Team
29 Badges
Mar 2, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
2014 DH @ US Marine Corps War College WWII Exercise

DH returned to the US Marine Corps War College to help facilitate a WWII strategy exercise. This time 3 developers were able to make it, along with 5 other volunteer gamers. The slides that follow show the chronology of how the war played out, touching on the major highlights of the strategies and gameplay. Following it is the link to Lt. Col. Barrick's official AAR, which provides a technical overview of how the exercise was set up, and insights into how playing Darkest Hour was used as a tool to promote the teaching of strategic thought within a historical context. I recommend reading through the slides first, as Barrick's AAR contains spoilers. ;-)

First batch of slides...

slide01.png

slide02.png

slide03.png

slide04.png

slide05.png

slide06.png

slide07.png

slide08.png

slide09.png

slide10.png

slide11.png

slide12.png

slide13.png

slide14.png

slide15.png

slide16.png

slide17.png

slide18.png

slide19.png

slide20.png

Link to Part II

Last edited:
Reactions:
Very interesting :). Obviously by late 1942 the situation of the Axis alliance is FUBAR, but the challenge here for the students is to build and concentrate the right forces in the right places and at a right time in order to accomplish their objectives. I guess that players will compete for resources, too.

Where is the Colonel's AAR?

Where is the Colonel's AAR?
Paradox' rules prevents posting too many pictures at once.
Taffy3 will publish the AAR in several posts.
Then LtCol Barrick's AAR will follow.

Fantastic start! I look forward to seeing what happens next!

This is awesome. Can't wait for more.

Great start! I do hope the DH devs continue this program; it looks like a great teaching tool. Is there any chance of hearing from some of the students, what they took away from the experience, when it's finished?

Great start! I do hope the DH devs continue this program; it looks like a great teaching tool. Is there any chance of hearing from some of the students, what they took away from the experience, when it's finished?
I totally support this idea! Even if we will learn some from LtCol Barrick's AAR.

very interesting
while i am no HoI player, this AAR is well done, and the idea of using this game as teaching method on a war college is supreme.

The Axis is doing suprisingly well. What happened to the Allied plans of concentrating CVs in order to gain naval supremacy in the Pacific? It seems that the Japanese are using the limited forces they have quite well. India is clearly threatened, China is not strong enough to push the Japanese much further and the Japanese even control the Bay of Bengal. Losing Peleliu is hardly a major setback if we take major Japanese gains in India and the fact that the Philippines have not been invaded yet under account.

Emptying Siberia was of course a very strange course of action. Murmansk is lost and Vladivostok soon will be lost, too. If the Axis manage to reach Persia, there will be no LL for the SU...

Cool stuff!