• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MarkRNY

Second Lieutenant
22 Badges
Jan 12, 2017
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
Just got the game (for $2.50 on sale). It looks really good. although I've barely had time to check it out so far. The reviews look great.

2 questions--

1\ Is a Corp the highest level formation in DH? Are there army or above level HQs?

2\ Leaving HOI4 out of this question as a non-starter (imo), how does Darkest Hour's AI stack up against HOI3s AI?

Looking forward to starting a USA campaign. Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1.- If by Corps you mean a group of divisions, yes. HQ's you get as an independent unit that you can either attach to an army or keep in the vicinity to allow you to double your maximum attacking armies up to a maximum of 24 without 'over command limit' penalties.

2.- Having seen the videos on YT of HOI4's horrible AI, i can testify that DH's AI is better. I recommend mods to improve it however.

1.- If by Corps you mean a group of divisions, yes. HQ's you get as an independent unit that you can either attach to an army or keep in the vicinity to allow you to double your maximum attacking armies up to a maximum of 24 without 'over command limit' penalties.

2.- Having seen the videos on YT of HOI4's horrible AI, i can testify that DH's AI is better. I recommend mods to improve it however.

Corps are the 3 star level formations. Armies would be 4 star level HQs or formations to which Corps would be attached, ie-an Army contained 4 or more Corps. So far I've only seen formations go as high as 3 star (Corp) level. Are there any higher level formations?

Yeah. HOI4's AI's....not good. I was wondering how Darkest Hour's AI is compared to HOI3, which is better than HOI4 imo.

Thanks for replying.

There are only two tiers regarding the order of battle in DH: units (that is, divisions) and stacks. The latter can be of any size, only suffering stacking penalties if there are more units in the said stack than the command limit of the general in charge (hence the different ranks for them: the higher the rank, the higher the command limit).

HQ units (figuring either army group or field army HQs, depending on the scenario/mod) give special advantages under certain conditions (i.e. being led by a field marshal), including an even higher command limit (resulting in a more efficient stack).

So there's no real chain of command in DH, only bigger or smaller stacks.

There are only two tiers regarding the order of battle in DH: units (that is, divisions) and stacks. The latter can be of any size, only suffering stacking penalties if there are more units in the said stack than the command limit of the general in charge (hence the different ranks for them: the higher the rank, the higher the command limit).

HQ units (figuring either army group or field army HQs, depending on the scenario/mod) give special advantages under certain conditions (i.e. being led by a field marshal), including an even higher command limit (resulting in a more efficient stack).

So there's no real chain of command in DH, only bigger or smaller stacks.

Thanks, Eginhard. Sounds good. Going to start my 1st game tonight (and probably suffer the greatest defeat in the history of history).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Corps are the 3 star level formations. Armies would be 4 star level HQs or formations to which Corps would be attached, ie-an Army contained 4 or more Corps. So far I've only seen formations go as high as 3 star (Corp) level. Are there any higher level formations?

Yeah. HOI4's AI's....not good. I was wondering how Darkest Hour's AI is compared to HOI3, which is better than HOI4 imo.

Thanks for replying.
If u want a even more challenging AI in DH then u should go for the TRP MOD.

• 2Like
Reactions: