2.7.2 - Can't play with the Ancient Relics DLC

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BladeRnr

Recruit
23 Badges
Oct 14, 2020
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
Playing on MacOS (10.14.6). No mods.
DLC was bought and downloaded on Steam. It shows up as installed in the Steam DLC window.
Paradox launcher shows the DLC as enabled.
However, when I play the game, the DLC is not active. (Easiest way to find out is to try to create a new species with the Remnants origin, which is missing).
I tried disabling/enabling the DLC in the launcher. Then I tried to uninstall and reinstall the DLC in Steam. Finally I uninstalled the game completely and reinstalled it. Still no Ancient Relics DLC.
I then reverted back to 2.7.1 in the Steam Beta and now the DLC shows up in game (I can make a new species with the Remnants origin.)
However, if I come back to 2.7.2, then the DLC is gone again. If I try to load a saved game I created in 2.7.1, it will show an error and say that the Ancient Relics DLC is missing.
I'm at a loss... what can I do?
Note: Other DLCs I have work fine: Utopia, Apocalypse, MegaCorps, other Story Packs, Species packs, etc.

Last edited:
That's an odd situation, you'd think if that was a bug we'd have more reports of this.

Can you try doing a test installation on any other machine? Just to see if it's a problem on this machine or somethign else.

I don't have access to another Mac unfortunately, so I tried to uninstall the game completely, including manually deleting the Stellaris folders (both the game and user settings) and the Steam cache and reinstall it on another hard drive. I couldn't access the Ancient Relics DLC at all. It showed as installed in Steam, it showed at available and enabled in the launcher, but it didn't show up in the game (ie trying to load a cloud saved game with it shows the error of the missing DLC, Remants origin missing when creating a new empire). All my other DLCs seemed to work fine.

Reverting back to another version didn't help. At some point I got it working again (reinstalling, switching version, enabling/disabling the DLC) only to have it stop working again at the next launch of the game.

Finally, I found a solution, but also I'm pretty sure I found a bug in the launcher DLC detection code, at least on MacOS.

Here's the thing: I found in my error.log the following line: "[dlc.cpp:1418]: incorrect checksum for DLC".

When I finally managed to make the DLC work once more (by randomly installing, reinstalling, enabling, disabling, etc.), I quickly went into my dlc_signature file and copied the value that was saved there "0499c9bfbc945a68723d587cc2c27ee8" for the following DLCs: Ancient Relics, Apocalyse, Distant Stars, Horizon Signal, Humanoids, Leviathans, MegaCorp, Plantoids, Synthetic Dawn and Utopia.

I launched the game again, Ancient Relics failed to load, and checking the dlc_signature file, the value was "1b2a5dd90ba3bd5c83880bca3c36e4d2", which was obviously wrong.

So I copied back the right checksum into dlc_signature and made the file read only. Now when launching the game from the launcher, two things happen.

2/3 of the time, the game fails to launch, with the following errors in error.log:
"[dlc.cpp:1418]: incorrect checksum for DLC
[virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1146]: Could not open file: dlc_signature, error: permission denied"
Meaning that the launcher is wanting to write an incorrect checksum for the DLCs in dlc_signature and since it can't, fails to launch the game.

1/3 of the time, the game launches perfectly, with the Ancient Relics DLC working, and no errors in error.log.

Note that I don't do anything between those launches, I just hit the "Play" button in the launcher until it works.

I'm pretty sure that means that there's a bug in the launcher code in regards to how it write the checksum in dlc_signature, since there's clearly no reason why it would want to put 2 different checksums at a few seconds interval. (Note that at all times, in the launcher itself, the Ancient Relics DLC shows up and is enabled).

Can you forward this to the dev team so they can check it out?

MacOS 10.14.6 (18G6032)
Wells 2.7.2 (60bf)
Launcher v 2020.13

Can you forward this to the dev team so they can check it out?
Actually you can do that yourself! Right here:

However if this is a launcher bug, why would it only affect you? Wrong checksums are more commonly a corrupt installation or download problem. Did you want to try a clean reinstall of Steam, game and launcher all together? Let me know if so and I'll devise a procedure for that.