[2.7.1][a5aa] CTD with error "file not found" in [virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1146]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HypoDis

Sergeant
14 Badges
Aug 27, 2016
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
This CTD occurs while fast forwarding through the game, waiting for the next event. It isn't clear what the game trigger for it is.

error.log contains this message at the time of the CTD: [virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1146]: Could not open file: continue_game.temp, error: not found

No files found in crashes, dumps or exceptions folders under <user>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris.

Stellaris 2.7.1 [a5aa] linked to Steam
Expansions: Utopia, Apocalypse, Megacorp
Content: Horizon Signal, Anniversary Portraits
Species packs: Plantoid, Humanoids
Story packs: Leviathans, Synthetic Dawn, Distant Stars, Ancient Relics

All other mods disabled.

Workaround: reload to last save

Attachments

• error.log
    1,9 KB · Views: 0
Try to verify integrity of stellaris files.

1589451078829.png

Did the error dissappear?

The CTD is intermittent and I've been unable to reproduce it from the most recent save (but have had at least one other CTD on 2.7.1 that I didn't investigate). That suggests it is a low level issue in the way that the game creates and manages save/continue files rather than in the game logic, possible a race condition.

I've formally unsubscribed from the disabled mods as well (to remove the first error in the log file), so we'll see if that makes a difference.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Possible storage drive problem? Game saves temporary game state every month and checks it before proceeding to next month. I just got game soft hanged on switching map view at the end of the month - needed to kill process to stop the game.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-Stellaris
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris AND Documents/Paradox/Stellaris folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again.

Last edited:
Possible storage drive problem? Game saves temporary game state every month and checks it before proceeding to next month. I just got game soft hanged on switching map view at the end of the month - needed to kill process to stop the game.
A good thought, but not in this case. There's at least 60% space on the game install drive under the Steam library (D: ) and 40% space on the OS drive where the Documents\Paradox folder resides (C: ).

Please do a full **clean** re-install
Done and done. Will update this thread if there are further crashes.

With 2.7.2 beta now released (but not yet installed here), there is a CTD fix. I'll upgrade to the beta if I get this CTD again on 2.7.1.

Have just had another crash with the same error, after the fresh install.
[09:36:15][virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1146]: Could not open file: continue_game.temp, error: not found

I've been running a monitoring app in the background for some games (not this one, alas), and noticed that the file is being worked on most of the time without issue.

I'll download the beta and see if the CTD mentioned there has addressed the issue.

Thank you all for the help and advice to date.

After updating to the current beta (2.7.2, 2dec) I've had a repeat of the same CTD.

[09:10:23][virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1146]: Could not open file: continue_game.temp, error: not found

So not the CTD that was fixed in the beta.

As fa as I'm aware you are the only one getting this problem. And I see your error.log is getting a bunch of errors I'm also not seeing elsewhere.

Are you confident your clean reinstall above made sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again?

What antivirus app do you use? Add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

And let's see a new copy of that error.log please.

As fa as I'm aware you are the only one getting this problem. And I see your error.log is getting a bunch of errors I'm also not seeing elsewhere.
Many thanks for taking a look!

I know that these things can be difficult to diagnose, and I'm happy to look at things in more detail if you need something.

Are you confident your clean reinstall above made sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again?
I made backups of the folders and then deleted them entirely, allowing the install process to recreate them.

What antivirus app do you use? Add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
I'm using Kaspersky Total Security (cropped screenshots of Win10 settings summary attached, no redaction was required).

Windows Defender is only providing periodic threat scanning, as far as I can see. Windows 10 ransomware protection is currently disabled, as realtime folder protection is turned off.

I wanted to try and reproduce the CTD with Process Monitor (SysInternals) running before adding anything to the Kaspersky exception list.

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.
Attached.

And let's see a new copy of that error.log please.
The current error.log is attached from this morning's playthrough. No CTD to report in it, and I'm afraid I didn't keep the others. From memory the only thing that was common was the CTD logged error.

I'm currently running the SysInternals Process Monitor to see if I can see what is occuring around the time of the CTD. Frustratingly it hasn't recreated itself yet under these circumstances.

For additional information I've also found the Windows Event log entries and the WER for the 2.7.2 beta (2dec) crash yesterady (18/5). Hope this is useful to you.

Kind regards, and thanks again!

Ian.

Attachments

• win10_security_settings.jpg
    win10_security_settings.jpg
    37,1 KB · Views: 0
  • win10_security_settings2.jpg
    win10_security_settings2.jpg
    32,6 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,3 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag_19May2020.txt
    115,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Stellaris_2_7_2_beta_2dec_18May2020_Report.wer.txt
    18,4 KB · Views: 0
  • crash_win_event_logs_3_examples.txt
    6 KB · Views: 0
Still getting those weird errors in that log. the exception code is 0xc0000409 every time, but that doesn't tell us anything about why you are getting this.

Is this all happening in one particular saved game? Or in any other save, and/or in a new galaxy you try?

Still getting those weird errors in that log. the exception code is 0xc0000409 every time, but that doesn't tell us anything about why you are getting this.

Is this all happening in one particular saved game? Or in any other save, and/or in a new galaxy you try?
This is on one game that I'm playing through, first started on 2.7.1 (a5aa). I do have a number of manual saves in the Steam cloud save folder to choose from.

Have attached an early save from 14/5/2020, and just after the documented crash on 2.7.1. Note that there were crashes before this, I just didn't keep any of the details as a restart continued the game from a reasonable point.

I was just about to start a new game anyway, so will move to that.

Attachments

• 2296.03.23.sav
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
Okay, please let us know if these issues continue in a new galaxy. If not, as I suspect, some glitch or bug has hit that one save pretty hard!