• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(138164)

Second Lieutenant
Mar 24, 2009
INTRODUCTION

Since I can't seem to find any human opponents for Diplomacy, I wanted a bit of variety when facing AI opponents. Therefore, I checked out Paul Bakken's (aka Bakunin) 1969 Cold War Diplomacy scenario. Here's Paul's description of the scenario:
"This is an original mod simulating the late 1960's Cold War confrontation between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. The year is 1969; both organizations have lost members and are experiencing difficulties. A recent border provocation has made war unavoidable and the powers of Europe prepare for conflict. Who will ultimately prevail?"​

When I started the scenario, this was the situation:
NATO (me) - 18 supply centers spread all over the map, 4 of these (Belgium, Kiel, Liverpool, Rome) can be used to create new units, 5 fleets (in Greece, Naples, Norway, London and Edinburgh), 5 armies (in Constantinople, Rome, Kiel, Munich and Liverpool). 8 NATO supply centers (Ankara, Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Portugal, Ruhr, Smyrna, Venice) are undefended at the scenario's start. A sleeping giant, NATO is tough to beat unless it loses many supply centers before it builds up its forces.

Warsaw Pact (Eagle AI) - 10 supply centers in Eastern Europe, 6 of these (St. Petersburg, Livonia, Moscow, Berlin, Warsaw, Sevastopol) can be used to create new units, 3 fleets (in St. Petersburg [North Coast], Livonia and Sevastopol), 7 armies (in Berlin, Bohemia, Bulgaria, Rumania, Moscow, Warsaw, Budapest). Every Warsaw Pact supply center starts the game with a defender. The Soviets have to hit hard where NATO is weak before NATO can use its supply center advantage; minor powers (especially France, Yugoslavia and Sweden) can distract NATO in the crucial early years.

France (Sphinx AI) - 3 traditional supply centers can all be used to create new units, a fleet in Brest, army in Paris, nothing in Marseille

Yugoslavia (Owl AI) - 2 supply centers (Trieste, Serbia) occupied by armies. Only Serbia can be used to create new units so the Yugoslavians will never have a navy.

Sweden (Jackal AI) - 1 supply center (Sweden) with an army in it

Spain (Bear AI) - 1 supply center, no units

Tunisia (Monkey AI) - 1 supply center with an army in it. Unless someone conveys this army to a new location, Tunisia will never capture another supply center. Therefore, Tunisia's chances of winning the game are extremely slight!​

The 37th supply center on the map (Vienna) is not owned by any player and has no defenders. To win, you must own 26 supply centers.

Last edited:
Check out the Paradox description @ http://www.paradoxplaza.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=141.

Diplomacy (original version) is a game recreating the European power struggle of the early 1900s. Players control 1 of 7 nations: Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia or Turkey. Victory is gained by controlling 18 of the 34 supply centers on the map/board. Every nation controls 3 supply centers when the game starts except for Russia who controls 4. The number of units you can use to expand your nation equals the number of supply centers you control. Players negotiate deals about helping one another or hurting other players throughout the game. Backstabbing (failing to live up to a deal) is allowed and expected.

Last edited:
Fall 1969 Results

First, the uncontested moves: my fleet in Naples to the Ionian Sea, my fleet in London to the English Channel, my fleet in Edinburgh to the North Sea, my army in Liverpool to York, Warsaw Pact (WP) fleet in Livonia to Prussia, WP army in Warsaw to Silesia, WP army in Budapest to Vienna, WP army in Moscow to Warsaw, WP fleet in Sevastopol to Black Sea, French fleet in Brest to Picardy, French army in Paris to Gascony, Tunisian army to North Africa.

My fleet in Norway was driven back to the Norwegian Sea by the Swedish army supported by the Soviet fleet in St. Petersburg.

In Germany, the Warsaw Pact and I traded supply centers. I successfully attacked Berlin with the army in Kiel supported by the army in Munich. At the same time, the Soviet army in Berlin was successfully attacking Munich supported by the army in Bohemia; my army in Munich retreated to the Ruhr. I would be able to build a new unit in Germany; the Soviets would not.

A standoff resulted when the Yugoslavians and I tried to occupy Venice so Venice stayed vacant; the Yugoslavian army stayed in Trieste; my army stayed in Rome.

The Balkan situation was a bit confusing. I left Greece unprotected by successfully attacking Bulgaria with my fleet in Greece supported by the army in Constantinople; the defeated Soviet army retreated to Serbia. Serbia was left unprotected when the Yugoslavians moved from Serbia to Greece.

I built armies in Kiel and Belgium and a fleet in Liverpool. The Warsaw Pact built a fleet in Livonia. France built an army in Paris. Spain built an army in Spain. Sweden built a fleet in Sweden.

All in all, a pretty good year since I lost only one supply center and gained 3 units while the Warsaw Pact gained only one supply center and unit. 1970 is likely to be more difficult.

Last edited:
Spring 1970

First, the map at the end of the turn:
Since France threatened Belgium the previous turn, I decided to attack Picardy with the Belgium army supported by the English Channel fleet. The defeated fleet retreated to Brest.

I didn't like my chances of hanging on to Berlin, so I attacked Munich from Berlin with help from Kiel and the Ruhr. This overcame the WP attack on Berlin from Munich supported Prussia. The WP army retreated from Munich to Tyrolia.

In Italy, neither the Yugoslavians or I successfully advanced to Venice (shades of 1969).

On the Black Sea front, the WP prevented me from moving my army in Constantinople to Ankara and my fleet in Bulgaria to Constantinople by trying to occupy Ankara with their Black Sea fleet. The WP army in Rumania supported by Serbia drove my fleet in Bulgaria to the Aegean Sea.

Last edited:
The Cold War is HOT! in Diplomacy too! I bid you luck against "Uncle Leo" and his swarms of Tanks! :p

My dream of a Warsaw vs Nato war without Nukes have finally been realized, but who will win? Good luck!

Fall 1970

FALL 1970
I supported the Swedish army attacking St. Petersburg with the fleet in Norway, attacked Denmark with the North Sea fleet supported by the Kiel army, advanced from Belgium to Burgundy supported by Picardy and Munich, supported Munich from the Ruhr, moved my army in Rome to Venice with support from the Adriatic fleet, attacked Bulgaria from Constantinople supported by the Aegean fleet, moved my Irish Sea fleet to the Mid-Atlantic, and supported my army in Picardy with the English Channel fleet.

The Warsaw Pact moved its fleet from St. Petersburg to the Barents Sea, its fleet in Prussia to Berlin, its fleet in the Black Sea to Constantinople, and its army in Serbia to Greece.

Tunisia moved back to North Africa; Spain held; France moved an army from Burgundy to Paris, its fleet from Brest to Gascony, and unsuccessfully tried to move an army from Gascony to Burgundy; Yugoslavia recaptured Serbia. The Swedish fleet in Denmark retreated to the Baltic Sea. The French army that tried to move to Burgundy ended up in Marseilles. The Warsaw Pact army in Bulgaria was disbanded since it could not retreat after my successful attack.

I built an army in Belgium and fleets in Liverpool and Rome. The Warsaw Pact added an army in Warsaw. Spain built a fleet in Spain. France, Sweden, Tunisia and Yugoslavia built no units.

In the race to build up force, I'm ahead of the Warsaw Pact by 16 units to 11. They have gained 1 supply center (up to 11) while I have lost 2 (down to 16). Of the minor powers, Spain gained a supply center at my expense while Sweden gained a supply center from the Warsaw Pact. France (3), Tunisia (1), and Yugoslavia (2) still have their original supply centers. What will happen in Turkey next year? I'm also wondering about events around the Baltic.

Last edited:
Spring 1971

Spring 1971

I tried to support the Swedish army in St. Petersburg from Norway. That backfired when it supported the Warsaw Pact attack from the Barents Sea to Norway. From Norway, I retreated to the North Sea. I don't expect to regain Norway in 1971. My army in Picardy captured Brest with help from the fleets in the English Channel and Mid-Atlantic. The Warsaw Pact attack on Munich from Tyrolia with support from Silesia and Bohemia was successful because diversionary attacks on Kiel (by Soviet forces) and Burgundy (by French forces) cut their support to Munich. My army in Munich was forced to disband. My attack from Bulgaria to Greece was also unsuccessful when the Warsaw Pact attacked Bulgaria from Greece with support from Rumania and a diversionary attack from Constantinople to the Aegean. My army retreated from Bulgaria to Serbia.

Yugoslavia moved from Trieste to Vienna and from Serbia to Budapest, both undefended Warsaw Pact supply centers. Good luck, Yugoslavians!

Fall 1971

FALL 1971
I successfully attacked Paris from Burgundy with help from Brest. The French attack on Brest failed and the French army in Paris was forced to disband (no retreat possible). I also recaptured Greece from Serbia with support from the Aegean fleet. I was unable to move my army in Belgium to Picardy so I won't be building a unit in Belgium this year. I was surprised to see I stayed in control of Bulgaria. The Warsaw Pact moved the army there to Rumania, I guess to help defend against the Yugoslavians. I was not surprised I fought off the Soviet attacks on the Ruhr and Kiel. The French were able to advance to Burgundy but I expect to make them retreat soon. The Warsaw Pact fleet in Constantinople moved to Ankara. The Soviets recaptured St. Petersburg from the Swedes. Spain and Yugoslavia did not lose any supply centers.

I built an army in Rome to prevent a French advance into Italy; the Soviets built a fleet in Livonia; the Yugoslavians built an army in Serbia. France disbanded its fleet in Gascony; Sweden disbanded its fleet in the Gulf of Bothnia.

I still have 16 supply centers, 8 armies and 8 fleets. The Soviets have 12 supply centers, 7 armies and 5 fleets. Yugoslavia has 4 supply centers and 3 armies. Spain has 2 supply centers, 1 army and 1 fleet. France, Sweden, and Tunisia have only 1 supply center and 1 army. With France on its last legs, my situation is improving! I'm also very grateful the Soviets are not hitting my weak point, Turkey, instead of my stronghold, Germany/Atlantic!

I didn't save the screen shot showing the status at the end of the Spring turn so I'm reporting all 1972 events in one post.

SPRING
I successfully attacked the French in Burgundy but they had to retreat to Picardy since the Spanish captured Marseilles. I'll have to cover Brest and Belgium with fleets in the fall. The Soviets moved into Sweden from Norway. Can I convince the Swedes to attack Norway in the fall? I moved a fleet from the North Sea to the Skagerrak to help prevent a Soviet breakout from the Baltic and another fleet from the English Channel to the North Sea to prepare for an attack on Norway. My Ionian Sea fleet occupied Greece while the army from Greece moved to Bulgaria. I beat off any Soviet attacks on my forces; so did the Yugoslavians who moved one army to Trieste.

FALL
The Swedes refused an offer of assistance if they attacked Norway; I bet they were "happy" to receive my help as they attacked Norway to stay alive. My attack on Constantinople from Bulgaria/Aegean Sea was successful. The Soviet attack on Bulgaria also succeeded. I beat off the Soviet attacks in the Baltic and Germany as did the Yugoslavians in the Balkans.

I, the Spanish, Swedes, Tunisians, and Yugoslavians, didn't gain or lose supply centers this year. The Soviets gained one. The French are conquered. The Soviets built another fleet in Livonia.

Go Yugoslavia! It seems like the Soviets are hurting in the Balkans...

Spring 1973

Spring 1973
I successfully attacked Spain from Marseilles supported by Gascony and Mid-Atlantic. The Spanish army retreated to Portugal, its only option. My advance to Marseilles from Burgundy was stood off by the Spanish attack from the Gulf of Lyon. In Turkey, I occupied Symrna by attack (from the Aegean Sea) and Ankara in retreat when the Soviets attacked from Symrna with support from Bulgaria into Constantinople. Not a bad trade for me! The Soviets recaptured Vienna while the Yugoslavians took Rumania.

Wow, way to put some life into the diplomacy forum! That is one interesting scenario and game you have going on. Make sure you keep us all informed :D

How is the Dip AI? I was thinking about buying Dip one day but then I saw it got really bad rating because the AI wasn't good. Is this true?

Fall 1973

FALL 1973
The Soviets (attacking from Bulgaria) and Yugoslavians (supporting from Serbia) combined to kick me out of Greece and into the Ionian Sea. I eliminated Spain by attacking Portugal from the Mid-Atlantic with support from Spain. The Spanish attempt to recapture Marseilles kept my army in Burgundy from moving there. Nothing changed in the Germany/Baltic/Scandinavia region. The Soviets captured Trieste while the Yugoslavians took Bulgaria. Because I reoccupied Constantinople, the Soviets still control Symrna. The Soviet fleet in Constantinople ended up in the Black Sea.

I ended the year with 18 supply centers (my original number!), 9 armies and 9 fleets. The Soviets have 13 supply centers, 7 armies and 6 fleets. The Yugoslavians have 4 supply centers and 3 armies. The Swedes and Tunisians still have 1 supply center and army each. The Spanish have joined the French in the ranks of the conquered. It's time to move forces east and push back the Soviets (and maybe the Yugoslavians)!

The Dip AI (in 14 different styles) is good enough to teach you the game and let you learn basic strategies. Once you have learned its tricks, it's very easy to beat.

As a great fan of Diplomacy who used to play regularily over the internet I'm very pleased to see this AAR. I never played the paradox game and think its a big shame that so little seems to have come of it, I'm guessing the AI was the main issue. Anyway carry on stabbing! :D (even if this scenario seems to be a bit of an all out war)

Spring 1974

SPRING 1974

I moved my fleet from Portugal to the Mid-Atlantic, walked into Munich from Burgundy (Take that, Soviets!), helped the Swedes recapture Sweden (support from Denmark), moved my new fleet in Liverpool to the North Atlantic, moved armies into Marseilles, Burgundy, and Apulia, left armies in Kiel, the Ruhr, Venice, and Ankara, and moved my Ionian Sea fleet to the Aegean (could have retreated there last turn). Other fleets stayed in the Norwegian Sea, North Sea, Skagerrak, Denmark, the Adriatic, and Constantinople.

The Soviets successfully attacked Serbia and the Yugoslavians retreated to Albania. After the Swedish attack, the Soviet fleet in Sweden retreated to the Gulf of Bothnia.