• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(47653)

Second Lieutenant
Aug 17, 2005
I read some AAR over the 1944 scenario and was inspired to see if I could survive as Germany in this scenario.
I made some changes to the map that I think that the designers missed.
I combined the 1944 map with the 1936 map and added the missing AA, airbases and seabases according to the 36 map, so in my game Warsaw has a L7 airbase instead of no airbase at all, and Berlin has 2 AA guns instead of 0 (in the 41 scenario Berlin have L7 AA guns) etc.
It took a while to remodel the map so I choose to focus only on the countries that was completely or parsley under the German control.
The main advantage I get from it is a bunch of L1 and L2 AA guns around Europe, manly in the former capital cities, and some extra airbases/harbors. A drop in the ocean but a more realistic map.
They had done a good job on France so I didn't need to do anything on that country.
The allied will get a few good L10 airbases in Italy with AA guns in them, the AA guns won't do them any good due to the fact that my air force won't even consider to fly missions in Italy, but the extra airbases will make their air force even more deadly at the southern front.

My goal is to survive as Germany to the end of the game 1947.
To do that I must use all the advantages I can get as human vs a computer, killer stacks, lurking armies into traps etc etc. This can’t be done to a human in the same way, well not 4 times in a row.
This scenario is a done deal if you play it against humans :) you can't even survive as Germany for 6 months.

I really don't know if the "bitter peace" can fire in this scenario :)
So I have agree with myself that I can fire it manually if I have all the provinces that it needs, have created one of the puppets in the east of USSR, and of cause France and Italy mainland shall be clear from allied forces... LOL

My allies in Europe will be under full control from me, and I mean FULL CONTROL.
If I want something that they have in resource I will get it!
With "acceptall" if I have to. The only thing that I can't do is to take too much from them so that they can't use their industries. If I do then I have to give it back so that their industries can run.
My allies in the east have to manage the war by them self, I guess that Japan is going to get owned by US, but that their problem.

The overall strategy in face one.

I'm not a defensive person, in strategy games I usually are extremely offensive, almost reckless. My defensive line is measured in meters not in miles, which are an advantage when you have the initiative. But when you lose it you will also lose miles of good land and armies :(

To this scenario I will dust of an old German WWI strategy and apply it in the east, the "Verdun strategy". I will create 4 Verdun’s for the red army to throw in their best units and I will constantly attack the four provinces with almost all I got on the east, holding my thumbs that the enemy won't arrive in full force to the provinces but rather one by one. If they reach the provinces one by one they will be beaten and forced to retreat in no time and my forces can rest until new armies enter the province.

I estimate that I can hold the east front for 3 months before my armies have lost too much of their org, the good thing with this strategy is that I won’t loose more ground that I really need. 3 months will be enough for me to finish off the allied forces in Europe... I hope.

I will liberate Flanders and Wallonia, Flanders is a good at pumping out troops, and Wallonia are much better then me to extract the energy from its provinces

What to build...

I won't build any forts, I'm aggressive not defensive :) and I really need the points for other stuff.

6 V2 rockets lines = so I can wreck infra, factories and structures when I need it.
25 Semi modern arty lines = need to boost my army in the east and I don't have the manpower or time for more inf.
15 static AA lines = need more AA-guns all over the map.

All in all 179.8 points, and that’s all the points I can use to build.
The rest I'll use to reinforce my divisions and build supply, lots of supply to trade for oil.
I need oil to use my army aggressive, tanks use large amount of fuel when you attack, and that is what I will do in the east, the Verdun defense is all about attacking.
If I had chosen a static defense approach I wouldn't need so much fuel.

The four fronts.

The North front (Norway and Finland)
northstrat0ge.jpg

Looking at the map I quickly realize that Finland is more or less a lost case.
I will pull the Finnish forces back to the Turku - Helsinki – Viipuri line as soon as they get attacked.
I won't move them unless I really need to, it's much better to retreat, then you don't lose org. The two German armies in the northern part of Finland will retreat towards Norway and dig-in in the mountains so that I don't have to worry about Norway for a few weeks.

The East front (The main battle area between Leningrad to Stavastopol)
eaststrat3dz.jpg

On the East front I will pull back my forces to the Verdun-line without fighting at all.
If I try to fight with them they are going to get seriously depleted due to my forces are heavy outnumbered. I will only start fighting when I have reached the new defense line, and not before that. In the extreme south I will retake Beltsy, a Rumanian province, so that my defense line becomes shorter and more easily to defend.
My defensive positions are blue and the provinces that I’m going to attack are in red.

weststratjpg5vv.jpg

The West front (France)
At last a front where you can be offensive on, I will move all my forces that I can spare to this front.
The army in Rennes will be split to two armies so that I can retreat to both Brest and Lorient when the Allies attack them. My aim is to surround the part of the allied forces that will enter Rennes after my force there has retreated. That will make it easier to throw them back in to the sea. My defense line that can’t be opened for the allied is my two provinces Argentan and Angers, I must hold them to the last bullet and drop of blood… Well not my last drop of blood, my brave soldier’s last drop.

The South front (Italy)
Reinforce the defensive position and sit still, after France is cleared I will reinforce even more and go on offensive. At this point I will just dig-in.

I'd be careful setting Pinsk up as an "attacking" province. You don't need any terrain modifier hurting you any more, and your movement speed (if you intend to ever seize it) will be godawful.

BTW, "Verdun Line"? That can't mean what I think it means. :confused:

I wish you all the luck you need and I think you will fond yourself in a real rock and hard place.

As for Pinsk, I advice to stay clear of it as well. :)

Hmm i have just played this scenario too with germany. Well my defence line was almost as yours. But i would realy ofer you to make it trough grondo-slonis-blielink-liublin-zamocin. Since I REALY do not this you could hold on in LIde. It gives no terrane advantages to you and has 3 provinces to it. As the line i have played WIlnow has 3 of them, and since you will have to concentrate more troops in Wilnow Jekapilis will be more secured also from atak. BTW one BIG suggestion if your going to build fortifications change army cheaf so that you will get -10% of its constuction time. Ou and your line doesnt uses river (forgot its name it goes along Liublin and Zamonc)

Well this line worked wery fine for me. The soviets didnt even make one atak in all 1945 since i make number 3 fortifications in all this line. Ou and also free balcans, flanders and Norwey. In 1946 flanders got like 15 infantry divisions with could secure the atlantic coast and Serbia got enough to secure balkans and even Italy. This will reduce your TC problems as well. But one thig about balcans. DOnt free greece. UK seems like to invade it wery much:)

Also a hinch. Stronger you possitions in the Northen part of front. Russians will make a biger concentration there and if you wont they will crack you line there. Btw 3 Finland provinces are to much either, I have bearly could keep two. Later send some pansers and retake all Finland. This will not be hard since AI dont draw any divisions fron East front (dont know why, a bit bugy situalion) Personly i was able to take leningran and even Moskvo for some time from Finland and still AI didnt moved a single division from the other front.

Last edited:
Good luck with it, it seems to be a good go at it. :)

Thanks for all the good luck, I will need it :)

I know that Pinsk is not a good province to conduct attacks against, but in my defensive line I need to be able to attack the Verdun provinces from two provinces that I have a good amount of troops in. And due to that Pinsk is a marchland it will take the USSR a good amount of time to move troops in to it. So my forces will take heavier losses in org at this province but will have more time to gain the org losses back before new enemy units enter. If my strategy doesn’t work I will have to pullback to a better defensive line.
I will have more then 30 divisions in each of the defensive provinces except Jelgava, there I will only have ~24 Division, but that prov can only be attacked from Riga(over a river).

Italy, yes I will have to watch for the enemy air there, but as soon as the first 15 AA guns are set up in France I will move 4 fighters to Italy to defend my forces there in that offensive.

Finland.
Yes, three provinces might be too much to hold for my troops.
If the red army arrive in force I will shorten the line to two prov, but at this time I won’t give away anything before the enemy show that they want it badly. And I will of cause counterattack in Finland too. I have played this scenario before and I have seen that USSR don’t really muster so much troop in the northern front so I hope that I can save Finland as long as possible. I will gain advantage if I’m able to keep Finland in this was as long as possible, and I also have personal reason to keep it alive :)
First reason, I’m Swedish… second reason, and half Finish too.

One thing that I forgot to say, the game settings is at Normal/Agressive.

Over to the Game.

The Air War:
I have moved all my German air that wasn’t tied to the east front to France, which means I don’t have any air in Italy at this early hour. Later on I’ll send some down there, but at this point they really don’t need it down there :)
The Finnish air is stationed in Helsinki. And my Balkan friend’s air is rebased to Rumania.
12 Fighters are stationed in Paris, and will conduct Air superiority mission as soon as I see a good target otherwise they will sit still and do nothing. I need to save oil :(
My bombers/CAS that was in Paris is rebased to Saarbrucken so that my fighters will gain more org.. not too overpopulated air base, 12 fighters in a L10 airbase instead of 12 + 4 + 1 = 17 Air units in a L10 base.

The Naval War.
I have rebased all my subs in northern part of Europe to Bremen, ~30 subs, and the 12 subs in France to Brest. As soon as my Bremen taskforce is ready I will move them to the channel and meet up with the Brest force, that will give me a stack of ~42 Subs. They will make the channel dangerous for the allies. If I meet a too large fleet I will retreat to fight another day. Conserving these is vital for my naval war in the long run.
All my ships are rebased to Köningsberg, a pretty big force with Tirpitz as the flag ship.
They will make the life of the USSRs Baltic fleet hard. So that they have to stay in their harbor or die.

West front.
I launched two of my V1 on Logistical strikes on the allied beach, after they had attacked Avranches I launched the last two and they hit Caen, bringing the two provinces down to 50-60 in infra.

west14mk.jpg

The Allied attacked both Cherbourg and Rennes, Cherbourg was lost and I choose to retreat with my forces in Rennes so that I can surround the enemy when they enter Rennes and kill some allied division.

west25zx.jpg

To my surprise the allies only entered Rennes with 2 divisions, I guess it’s going to cost more then it pays to surround them. I waited to see if they send some reinforcement to Rennes for a while, but they didn’t. Hmm
I attacked Rennes with enough troops to make the Allied loose the battle but not loose it too fast, se if I can lurk them into reinforce it. Not even this worked as it should. I got pissed off and finished off the troops in Rennes, then the Allied counterattacked Argentan!
I counterattacked Avranches with all available forces in Angers. The allied stopped the attack against Argentan when they saw that they where loosing.
I retook Rennes but was attacked so I retreated with my two motorized inf that was there.

Now the west front was in a stalemate, we both needed to regain org quickly. I guess that I’ll regain it faster due to their infra is down to ~60 and my infra is at 100.
After three days I begin my attack on Avranches with all that I had.
The allied suffered a defeat in Avranches and I stopped my attacking force that would enter the province and I gave an attacking mission to another slow moving unit so that the attack would still be on but I will not retake it. Hence the Allied need to reinforce it to hold it. The allied reinforcement entered Avranches and the battle was on again, this time it took only a few hours until they retreated. This went on for a day until I saw that the allied only had ~10 Divisions in Caen. All the rest was either retreating from Avranches or moving to it from Cherbourg. I quit the attack against Avranches and had to wait a day before I could use my divisions again. I moved all my divisions in Angers to Argentan, My two motorized inf and the three inf that was in Brest/Lorient was ordered to move to Angers and hold it as long as possible. I will sacrifice Rennes, Brest etc.
The Allied has reinforced Avranches with 17 units, probably extremely low on org, they don’t do anything except to sit there.
Now I attack Caen with 30 Divisions, some of them would get -75 for over stacking but I don’t care. It went pretty well, the allied reinforced Caen but not too quickly and their forces were low on org due to the last big battle at Avranches, I manage to take the Caen.

west34ci.jpg

But just before that the Allied launched an attack against Anger from Avranches and I choose to retreat with my forces there. Not really a big problem when they are out of supply they will not move anywhere. Now the allied will be out of it for about two days, it usually takes two days to get a new convoy running.
But I also have a delay problem, I have to wait one day to be able to attack again. I’ll loose precious time.
Next day I continued the offensive and attacked Cherbourg that was lightly defended(5 divisions with low org) and took it pretty fast. The huge advantage was that Cherbourg was the province that the allied had chosen as the new stockpile location. Hehe, now they have to wait for two more days before new supply reach them in Avranches. I feel that this is going pretty good. The Allied attacked Cherbourg, it’s an even fight but as soon as my forces are allowed to attack then Avranches is just a memory.

west41nd.jpg

The next day I attacked Avranches to retake the last prov from the allied. My forces was low on org and the battle was a hard one, after one day the allied canceled the attack against Cherbourg, day two they lost the battle and ~20 divisions surrendered to me. The allied managed to enter Angers in some sort of way, they never took control of it due to my retreating forces was ordered to move to that province again. And the two allied armory divisions that had entered Anger began a battle with my forces over the control of Anger. So when the enemy lost at Avranches they didn’t have anywhere to retreat. And one day later I won the battle of Anger. The Allied landing is beaten, yet ~20 allied divisions are still in France, retreating and out off supply. It pretty strange that you can’t find retreating troops with ground forces only with air, at lest when you control both provinces I have experienced enemies retreating for two weeks and I can’t touch them with my forces unless if I use air, I guess that they were hit so hard that they went up into orbit. That might be the reason why only air can find them :)

A quiet on the East front.

east14tm.jpg

Not quite, my forces were attacked at 7 places as soon as I started the game.
I chose to retreat as soon they attacked so I don’t loose and strength.
My forces are in full retreat in the northern part of the east front, in the south I retook Beltsy. Other wise nothing of value is really happening here, it’s just a race to the Verdun line.

Northern Front.

north14xx.jpg

My forces has retreated to the defensive positions, strangely the red army seems to take forever to advance here. well I don’t mind if they take their time to advance slowly :)

Italian front.
The allied has attacked a few times and stopped the attack as soon as they launched it. I guess that the allied has the same problem as I do when I combine different nationalities in an attack. They don’t see each other and will quit due to that they think that they are outnumbered when in fact it’s the other way around.

My resources.
This is how wealthy my economy is.

production19ni.jpg

I trade for oil all over the world, at high price. But I need oil more then I need supply.
I gain a huge stockpile of oil as the allied was kicked out of France. Rumania has just canceled our oil trade that is why I loose oil each day. And I’m also moving with my troops now so it feels pretty good at the oil front. I have also seen that both Rumania and Bulgaria has ~2000 oil each, I will take a part of their stockpile as soon as I need it.

What is worrying me is that I only have seen ~400(100 of them on the jap front) div of the 570 div that USSR have, and please don’t write anything about how much they are producing. I guess that I need to bleed them now.

Face two. I have bled all I can, I won’t bleed any more.

Face one of this scenario is over now when the allied are kicked out of France.
I will send 5 arm div and 10 Inf div to Italy and two HQ. The rest I’ll send to the east front, I’ll concentrate them on two provinces namely Stryj and Kowel.
I will leave 6 div in France, with a backup of 4 Bulgarian div in the southern France.
I have detached 4 Air brigades from the east front so that my forces in France have some AA attached to them.

Why send all reinforcement to the south of the east front!
The south part of the east front is more suitable for movement, plenty of provinces with plains. I will try to surround as many enemies as possible and kill them. And then I will pull back to the defense line again and wait on the enemy to close in. and I will launch the offensive again.

This is a very good AAR. You explained what happened, had plently of pictoral support, gave a good description of what you are planning, and how it all went down. I a enjoying this, and wish you luck against the SOV menace.

elbasto said:
Wow, that's a lot of AA... ready for 1950?

Nice descriptions of what's going on. ;)

You should always set the serial number way high if your not sure when you want to end it.

Good luck :)
I wish I could offer you some clever advice based on my own game. But.. Nothing really awe inspiring comes to mind. As this is a German 1944 game, I'm sure it will be epic no matter what happens.

And in fact I am still fighting on in my AAR to whomever thought I was done for. Italy was a setback, nothing more, arrrrr. :)

Oh may God Help You on the Eastern Front. Such a nightmare.

Well, you pushed the allies out of france, now you "just" need too defeat the russians...

Echo! AA! Why? :confused:

To 'Victory' and Beyond! :rolleyes:

Verdun-style campaigns in the east generally don't work in 1944, though I may be wrong. You are only playing against the AI.

Throw the Reds all the way back to the Urals or farther. Good Luck.

Sorry for the delay.

Somehow I need to battle the Allied air superiority without using too much manpower and oil. I thought that static AA could do a good job at that, I might be proven wrong. They cost 3 IC and 1 manpower. And I’ll never need to send reinforcement to them if they get destroyed, they reaper themselves without any manpower or IC losses. The best of it all is that they don’t drink oil :)

Oyes Germany is really low on MP in this scenario, I focused on building supplies at the first three weeks and I have risen to 811 in manpower, now when I have a good stockpile of supply I have put ~35 IC in reinforcement, I guess that my MP will plummet.

Drunken_Master is right on target, it’s not that I expect to survive to 1950 or that I feel that I need 15*60 = 900 static AA guns in France :)
It’s because I don’t really know how many AA I need.
I have done this mistake before, usually when I made ships. I never calculated with losses and when I got to the last run I saw that I really need 2 runs more, and those extra runs didn’t get any gearing bonus. Nowadays I don’t calculate, I just make extremely long lines and cancel them when I have enough.

The East front, it makes me shiver….

This AAR is going to transform to another type of AAR, rereading what I have written I have realized that it’s too clinical. I will post the next update later today, with a slight touch of storytelling to it.

Thanks for all the response :)