• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe the provinces are set to non-reformed again in some inc files, if the scen has any? I'd presume that if you set things first to reformed in some main file, like provinces.inc or the eug itself and then later in the file you include files that change province religion again, the later value is effective. Or if it's just one big eug file, it could be that there are province religion changing values spread out, like in country entries...

Glad to see this thread getting some interest again. I have an updated version of the scenario I can send to Axin, or Garbon whenever that has fixed some of the more obvious problems. Some bizzare Mughal cores have been deleted, and I added Zimbabwe. I finally got the reformation to fire in Europe by telling the scenario to ignore the reformation mod and just use the additions in the .inc file. If the scenario needs more COTs, I can certianly do some of those.

Stonewall--if you have helpful suggestions on colonial America, please keep them coming. My own focus is on Asian and Islamic history and I know next to nothing about colonial America. The set-up now in existence in the colonies is dependent on what I've been told by others and what I could find through Google and Wikipedia, no doubt it needs work. As for African colonies, Portugal has colonies in Angola and the Swahili coast, the rest is empty as the Dutch didn't settle the Cape until the 1650s.

zacharym87 said:
Glad to see this thread getting some interest again. I have an updated version of the scenario I can send to Axin, or Garbon whenever that has fixed some of the more obvious problems. Some bizzare Mughal cores have been deleted, and I added Zimbabwe. I finally got the reformation to fire in Europe by telling the scenario to ignore the reformation mod and just use the additions in the .inc file. If the scenario needs more COTs, I can certianly do some of those.

Yea, it'd be great if you could send it to me, and then i could put it up for people to access.

Last edited:
The province.csv file was modified to make all of Europe Catholic.

Yes, and you now need to reset it all to what it was in vanilla 1648 scenario (probably you can just paste the column using MS Excel or similar software).

zacharym87 said:
I finally got the reformation to fire in Europe by telling the scenario to ignore the reformation mod and just use the additions in the .inc file.

I got the Reformed provinces working that way as well.

Stonewall--if you have helpful suggestions on colonial America, please keep them coming. My own focus is on Asian and Islamic history and I know next to nothing about colonial America. The set-up now in existence in the colonies is dependent on what I've been told by others and what I could find through Google and Wikipedia, no doubt it needs work. As for African colonies, Portugal has colonies in Angola and the Swahili coast, the rest is empty as the Dutch didn't settle the Cape until the 1650s.

I'm currently revising the NA colonial setup . If you could send me your files, I can make the changes and then send them back to you. Won't take me more than a few hours to input all the changes.

snyderjb(at)gmail.com

One more thing that needs looking at is the tech setup for some of the far eastern countries. No way they should be at LT 22 and NT 21 when most of Europe is at 25/24 respectively. I'll update my list of stuff.

Some questions about 1648. Maybe answers are obvious but confirmation is needed (at least for me):

Japan's state religion is konfucian and Shikoku and Kansai are "buddhists". AFAIK, there is no event to have this situation in 1648. Is it wad? Am I wrong?

There is no Zimbabwe (ZIM) but according to revolt.txt this state should be able to revolt until 1820. Wad?

I can understand a CoT in Jakarta instead of Malacca but we should have an event (as for Al-Kharam/Mascate move) to handle this situation.
What about shipyard in Jakarta, historical?

Same question about Al-Djazair OE shipyard.

EDIT: is it normal to have Courland as colonial nation => colonialnation = yes in 1648_KUR_Courland.inc?

Last edited:
Not really a bug but all following countries should be counter-reformed in 1648 scenario (maybe only for 2 years but still):
Austria
Bavaria
Berg
Cologne
Genoa
Mainz
Papal States
Spain

As for Counter-Reformed, I have no objection to making those countries CR. Zimbabwe got left out by oversight on my part and I haven't gotten around to correcting it yet. The shipyards in Mascate is historical as Oman was a major naval country relative to its size, Algiers is perhaps more debateable, but there were certainly many ships being produced there. Malacca's trade was more or less dead by 1648 so I didn't see a reason for writing an event moving the CoT.

Thanks for your answers

Zimbabwe to be added
Shipyard in Mascate and Jakarta : ok
Shipyard in Al-Djazair : will see later - no change for now
counter-reformed countries : ok
event to move CoT from Malacca to Jakarta : will see later

Questions:
Japan's religion (post #86)?
Courland as colonial country (post #86)?

Looking in the "links to threads thread" i hae seen this one dedicated to 1648 scenario, which should be the latest in time to be done and still unfinished afaik.

I would like to discuss, firstly about shifting the startdate from 1648 to 1649, that is why the peace of westphalia was reached during 1648, so the map we currently have is representing the european situation on January 1649.

Secondly I would like to talk about DP settings of major powers, at least in the very beginning. We still have to fix this issue as to give continuity to the historical path in the two remaining centuries of the game. I just let it know that if we don't customize the DPs of each nation, the game will use the default DP settings included in country.csv, which are focussing on a medieval situation except for countries which were born after, such as the Netherlands.

In Europe I (we... ;) ) would/should start fixing: Spain, France, England, Netherlands, Ottoman Empire, Austria, Russia and Sweden first and then Poland, Portugal and whatever else, even Venice to some extent.

In the ROTW I believe: China, Mughal empire, Safavid Persia and what else?

Last edited:
OK, I don't know how to move the year of the scenario forward, however I am suggesting following DP settings for England, also for 1520 scenario. I am not going to give reference to the events shifting DP moves as it will be too hard for me without a particular tool...

About England's DP settings.

Here is England in country.csv 8;3;4;6;5;5;7;7

Here are current DP moves in HYW_England and ENG_England event files, according to the historical outcome of the battle of Towtown, historical path and action A only (between parenthesis are the DP moves included in ENG_21112):

Code:
ENGLAND		1419				1520 and after ENG_21112 modified				1648

ARISTOCRACY	8 -1 +1 -1 +1 -1 +1 -1 (-1)	6		8			+1 -1 +2		10

CENTRALIZATION	3 +1 +1 +1 +2 +1 (+3)		10		9			+1 -2 +2		10

INNOVATIVE	4 -1 -1 +1 +1 +1 		5		5			-3 +3 -1 -3 +1		2

MERCANTILISM	6 -2 -1				3		3			+1 -2			2		

OFFENSIVE	5 -2 +1				4		4						4

LAND		5 -1				4		4			-1 -1			2

QUALITY		7				7		7						7

SERFDOM		7 (-3)				4		6			+1			7

following two events below may give some problems as they greatly shift DP settings, both events can happen alternatively only according to the action taken in ENG_21105 Battle of Towton.

So here are my suggestions which are also affecting previous table:

current historical path
Code:
#(1485) Bosworth Field
#by Count Six
event = {
	id = 21112
	random = no
	country = ENG
	name = "EVENTNAME3752" #Bosworth Field
	desc = "EVENTHIST3752"
	#-#

date = { day = 22 month = august year = 1485 }

action_a = {
		name = "OK"
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 240 value = -1 } #Northumberland
		command = { type = provincetax which = 240 value = 1 } #Northumberland
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 241 value = -1 } #Yorkshire
		command = { type = provincetax which = 241 value = 1 } #Yorkshire
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 242 value = -1 } #Lancashire
		command = { type = provincetax which = 242 value = 1 } #Lancashire
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 243 value = -3 } #Wales
		command = { type = provincetax which = 243 value = 1 } #Wales
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 244 value = -3 } #Midlands
		command = { type = provincetax which = 244 value = 1 } #Midlands
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 245 value = -3 } #Lincoln
		command = { type = provincetax which = 245 value = 1 } #Lincoln
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 246 value = -3 } #Bristol
		command = { type = provincetax which = 246 value = 1 } #Bristol
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 247 value = -3 } #Anglia
		command = { type = provincetax which = 247 value = 1 } #Anglia
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 248 value = -3 } #Kent
		command = { type = provincetax which = 248 value = 1 } #Kent
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 249 value = -3 } #Wessex
		command = { type = provincetax which = 249 value = 1 } #Wessex
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 250 value = -3 } #Cornwall
		command = { type = provincetax which = 250 value = 1 } #Cornwall
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = serfdom value = -3 }
		command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = 3 }[/COLOR]
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = 1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = serfdom value = -1 }[/COLOR] 
		command = { type = domestic which = mercantilism value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = innovative value = 1 } 
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 046314 } #Richard III (ENG)
	}
}
#-#Richard III had many enemies, and on 7 August, Henry Tudor landed near Milford Haven with about 2,000 French mercenaries and a handful of Lancastrian lords and knights. He gathered reinforcements as he marched through Wales, then through Shrewsbury, Stafford and Atherstone. Richard was at Nottingham, and moved from there to Leicester on 19 August, and by 21 August the two armies were facing each other about two and a half miles south of Market Bosworth. Richard's army was just under 12,000 strong, but 4,000 of his troops were commanded by the Stanley brothers, whose loyalty was suspect. Henry had only 5,000 troops. During the battle Both the Stanleys turned neutral and withdrew to a defensive position just north of the battlefield, swinging the numerical strength if not to Henry's favor at least improving his situation. The battle was fought on and around Ambion Hill, close to Sutton Cheney, and lasted only two hours. Richard had the better position, but did not take advantage by attacking Oxford while he was still deploying his troops. This allowed Oxford to launch the first attack and the Duke of Norfolk, who was commanding Richard's forward battle division, was soon desperately pressed. For the first hour, the fighting was evenly matched, but Richard lost the battle through the treachery of the Stanleys, who deserted his cause. Even more damaging was of the Earl of Northumberland's failure to bring Richard's reserves into action when he saw the Stanleys withdrawing from the battlefield. Richard made a last attempt to win victory by directly attacking Henry with is personal guard, and almost succeeded, having cut down Henry's standard bearer. Richard's gamble failed, and he was struck down. The battle ended when Richard died. The Stanley brothers and Norfolk immediately started to negotiate with Oxford. Henry fearing that the conflict would spread attended the meeting bringing an end to the miseries of England. It was decided that the Dukes of England was to take part of Government and support their new King, Henry VII Tudor.

current alternative path
Code:
#(1483) Lancastrian Succession
#by Count Six
event = {
	id = 21111
	trigger = {
		monarch = 046001 #Henry VI
	}
	random = no
	country = ENG
	name = "EVENTNAME21111" #The Lancastrian Succession
	desc = "EVENTHIST21111"
	#-#

date = { day = 25 month = july year = 1483 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME21111A" #Henry, Prince of Wales
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = serfdom value = -3 }
		command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = 3 }[/COLOR]
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = 1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = serfdom value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = 2 }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = domestic which = mercantilism value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = innovative value = 1 }
	}
}
#-#In the decades after Towton Henry VI reigned, but the real power in the land was Queen Margaret of Anjou and her favorite the Duke of Somerset. Meanwhile, the Queen's eldest son Edward Prince of Wales grew to a sickly, arrogant and frivolous manhood. However, in 1461 the Queen delivered another boy, named Henry after his father - although the wags wondered aloud if that Henry is the king or Somerset. Henry VI enjoyed a long and futile reign, but his eldest son died before him, in July 1483, of consumption and gall at the long wait - so that when the aged but less than revered monarch passed away, he was succeeded by his second son Henry, the seventh of the name. Meanwhile, the new heir's cousin and namesake Henry Tudor, 2nd earl of Richmond, prefered to remain on his estates and was rarely seen at court, building a lavish residence in the latest Renaissance style near a town called Market Bosworth. He was often heard to grumble about the whims of fortune, and spent inordinate sums on seers and astrologers.

These are the changes according to the modifications above:

Code:
1520_ENG_England.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = [COLOR=Red]9[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]8[/COLOR] 
		centralization = [COLOR=Red]10[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]9[/COLOR]
		innovative = [COLOR=Red]4[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]5[/COLOR]
		mercantilism = 3
		offensive = 4
		land = [COLOR=Red]5[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]4[/COLOR]
		quality = 7
		serfdom = [COLOR=Red]5[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]6[/COLOR]
	}
and here the new 1648 DP settings for England:
Code:
1648_ENG_England.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = 10
		centralization = 10
		innovative = 2
		mercantilism = 2
		offensive = 4
		land = 2
		quality = 7
		serfdom = 7
	}

EDIT: changed 1649 with 1648.

Last edited:
And here is about the Netherlands and France.

The suggestions are made according to current DP moves, so I am just reporting current status. If we need to shift some DPs we should change events accordingly before.
Here is Netherlands in country.csv 5;6;7;1;4;3;7;0

Here are current DP moves in HOL_Netherlands event files, historical path and action A only:

Code:
NETHERLANDS				1648

ARISTOCRACY	5 -2 -1 +1		3

CENTRALIZATION	6 -2 +1 -1 +1		5

INNOVATIVE	7 +1 +2 +1 -3		7

MERCANTILISM	1 -2 -2	+1 +1		2

OFFENSIVE	4 -2 -2 +1 +1 +1	3

LAND		3 -2			1

QUALITY		7 +1 +1 +1		10

SERFDOM		0 -2 +1			1

Code:
new 1648_HOL_Netherlands.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = 3
		centralization = 5
		innovative = 7
		mercantilism = 2
		offensive = 3
		land = 1
		quality = 10
		serfdom = 1
	}

Here are current DP moves in FRA_France event files, historical path and action A only:

Code:
FRANCE		1520 					1648

ARISTOCRACY	8 +2 +1 +1 -1 +3 -1 -2 -1		6

CENTRALIZATION	5 -4 -1 +2 -1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1		6

INNOVATIVE	4 -1 +1 -1 -1 -1 +1 +1 -1 +1 +1		4

MERCANTILISM	7 +2					9	

OFFENSIVE	6 					6

LAND		7 -1 -1					5

QUALITY		7					7	

SERFDOM		6 +1					7

Code:
current 1520_FRA_France.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = 8
		centralization = 5
		innovative = 4
		mercantilism = 7
		offensive = 6
		land = 7
		quality = 7
		serfdom = 6
	}

Code:
new 1648_FRA_France.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = 6
		centralization = 6
		innovative = 4
		mercantilism = 9
		offensive = 6
		land = 5
		quality = 7
		serfdom = 7
	}

EDIT:changed 1649 with 1648.

Last edited:
Here is about Castile/Spain.

According to country.csv Spain starts with: 7;6;1;9;6;3;6;6;

Here are current DP moves in SPA_Spain event files, historical path and action A only:

so according to events, in 1520 Spain should start at 10 aristocracy, 4 centralization, 0 innovative, 10 mercantilism, 7 offensive, 3 land, 7 quality, 6 serfdom.

Code:
SPAIN		1520 					1648 and with fine tuning 

ARISTOCRACY	9  +1					10		10

CENTRALIZATION	3 +1 +1					5		6

INNOVATIVE	1 -1 -1 -2 -2 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1		0		0

MERCANTILISM	6 +1					7		10

OFFENSIVE	6 +1 -3					4		5

LAND		6 -2					4		1

QUALITY		6 +1 -3					4		5					

SERFDOM		7 +1					8		7
current 1520_SPA_Spain.inc:
Code:
	policy = {
		aristocracy = [COLOR=Red]9[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]10[/COLOR]
		centralization = [COLOR=Red]3[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]4[/COLOR]
		innovative = [COLOR=Red]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]0[/COLOR]
		mercantilism = [COLOR=Red]6[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]10[/COLOR]
		offensive = [COLOR=Red]6[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]7[/COLOR]
		land = [COLOR=Red]6[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]3[/COLOR]
		quality = [COLOR=Red]6[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]7[/COLOR]
		serfdom = [COLOR=Red]7[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]6[/COLOR]
	}

Code:
1648_SPA_Spain.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = 10
		centralization = 6
		innovative = 0
		mercantilism = 10
		offensive = 5
		land = 1
		quality = 5
		serfdom = 7
	}

N.B.: But, since Castile forms Spain, Spain will receive Castile's DP setting till there:

Castile starts with 8;4;4;5;5;5;4;7;
Code:
CASTILE		1419			->Spain			1520 Spain					1648 Spain				

ARISTOCRACY	8 -1 -1 		+1 +2			9		+1				10		

CENTRALIZATION	4 +1 +1 -1 +1		-1 -1			4		+1 +1				6			

INNOVATIVE	4 			-2 -1 +1 -1		1		-1 -1 -2 -2 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1	0

MERCANTILISM	5 			+1			6		+1 				7

OFFENSIVE	5  			+1 +1 +1 +1		9		+1 -3				7

LAND		5 			+1			6		-2 				4

QUALITY		4 			+1 +1 +2		8		-3				5		

SERFDOM		7 						7		+1				8
so when trasforming into Spain, we should have as follows:

Code:
current 1520_SPA_Spain.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = 9
		centralization = [COLOR=Red]3[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]4[/COLOR]
		innovative = 1
		mercantilism = 6
		offensive = [COLOR=Red]6[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]9[/COLOR]
		land = 6
		quality = [COLOR=Red]6[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]8[/COLOR]
		serfdom = 7
	}

Code:
1648_SPA_Spain.inc:

policy = {
		aristocracy = 10
		centralization = 6
		innovative = 0
		mercantilism = 7
		offensive = 7
		land = 4
		quality = 5
		serfdom = 8
	}

EDIT:changed 1649 with 1648.

EDIT2: reworked DP changes for Castile and Spain before 1520.

Last edited:
YodaMaster said:
Good work!

Date of a scenario is easy to find. For 1648, open "1648 - The Age of Adventurers.eug" and search for startyear. As simple as that.
Humm...maybe it is not so harmful to use 1648 instead of 1649. The only problem I see is that France tends to DOW Scotland, maybe because of cores in NewFoundland? But Scotland ruled by the Stuarts should be natural ally of France against the Comonwealth, isnt' it?

How should we consider DPs for countries changing tags such as Castile or Aragon to Spain and Moskovy or Novgorod to Russia? Which DPs should be taken as basis upon which we change the settings, the ones included for newborn nations in country.csv or the situation for countries changing tag right before the concerned event?

Bordic said:
How should we consider DPs for countries changing tags such as Castile or Aragon to Spain and Moskovy or Novgorod to Russia? Which DPs should be taken as basis upon which we change the settings, the ones included for newborn nations in country.csv or the situation for countries changing tag right before the concerned event?

what they would be if option a is taken up to the year (1648)