15 Empire Mode mods, and 10 core game improvements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coodav

Banned
9 Badges
Jul 3, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Empire mode adjustments:

1. ALLOW THE THERIAN DNA INJECTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU SUCK FOR NOT DOING THIS ALREADY!!!!!!!
2. Allow starts with varying colonizers and/or races (get those games moving)
3. Allow starts with cities at higher populations (starting with a 24 pop city, would be epic)
4. Allow starts with animals or NPC pieces, not normal units
5. Allow maps with no cities; you 'eat what you kill.' *needs balance*
6. Allow cities with crazy defenses (fighting against cities is suicide, without major firepower)
7. Allow maps where you cannot build units, you can only hire mercenaries, or multiply with existing units (psy-fish; psionica, xenoplague, etc...)
8. Allow survival maps (nearly unstoppable invading forces attack a critical landmark you must keep, staring on turn 20+/-)
9. Allow maps with double+ unit HP / all weapons do less damage
10. Allow maps where mods are cheap / free to add
11. Allow maps where units can have 1+ extra/less mod
12. Allow maps where doctrines are 150%+/- more effective/weaker
13. Similar to 12 max pop, alternatively allow cities to grow indefinitely +/-
14. Allow cities to have 1+more/less sector specializations of that type (up to 3 industrial / 3 energy, etc...).
15. Allow starts where you are / start with an NPC unit, controlling NPCs, and have to take over the enemy Dwellings, not cities

Universal improvements:

1. Allow building colonizers that include pre-built buildings or just have cities found with several buildings done (T1+ defense, turrets, basic building, rec dome, etc...)
2. Some/all covert operations can be toggled on/off: AI covert operations are broken
3. Allow construction bonuses to survive unit metamorphosis (believe it or not, it still doesn't work): Evolution of units steals your bonuses
4. Allow a UI toggle where enemies are all red / exaggerated OR, allow the player to control enemy empire colors: There are two types of problems with Empire Mode...
5. Allow cities to change sector specialization AND sector upgrade at once (you do not have to unbuild both, then rebuild both manually): Alright - it is good. Still, there is a ton of obvious issues.
8. Have computer-controlled cities build generic buildings / build according to the sector: Check this out, and it is every time - zero plan for computer cities
8. Have cities found on water / mountains: With 'water 2,' allow cities to found on water
9. Have a better / longer build order que: It is time for an advanced build order que
10. Have city governors that automate production: It is time for an advanced build order que

What would you like to see?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It is more like new DLC than simple "adjustments", too much work to ask for free IMHO. Also as far as I know empire mode improvements are expected to be done via Steam mods.

Edit. First item makes me worry why I am replying, obviously I would not pay attention to this thread if I was a dev because of that offense.

Hm. I was thinking that these would be virtually zero effort. Some of the bigger "universal improvements" maybe, but "allowing Therian DNA injectors?" You'd have to wonder why they kept them out in the first place. It's just another mod.

Alternatively, saying "it's too much work" is a bit too easy. Can I assume you don't really know?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Hm. I was thinking that these would be virtually zero effort. Some of the bigger "universal improvements" maybe, but "allowing Therian DNA injectors?" You'd have to wonder why they kept them out in the first place. It's just another mod.

Alternatively, saying "it's too much work" is a bit too easy. Can I assume you don't really know?

Devs said it is much work to copy existing options for advanced setup from random maps to empire mode and here we have completely new functionality. Therian DNA injectors have influence cost for every hero, they are unique.

Last edited:
To be fair, the DNA ones are pretty strong IMO. It is one of the few T4 weapons, and it would be really easy to aquire...
You're messing me up, Nordos. You're supposed to say, "yeah, sounds perfectly reasonable. No worries."

Therian DNA injectors have influence cost for every hero, they are unique.
Ok, it's like an purchasable weapon or craft. Functions exactly the same. How would it be harder or different than any other weapon or craft that they want you to buy? You spend influence, then get it in your inventory. How is that "unique?" I don't understand why it is not available ever.

If it's a problem, make it expensive.

Oh, and if they want you to work for it, have a near-impossible challenge world to unlock it. That may take a DLC, or some real picky work to find an adequately difficult one. That said, I did a few worlds that were near-impossible already, so it shouldn't be that tough to find.

Or perhaps you have to finish the Sharkarn campaign on the hardest settings or something. That absolutely requires the Therian weapon to do with any speed. Fitting way to unlock the weapon.

If the Therian injectors were available they would cost renown. It seems like it is currently 100 renown per tier. 400 renown does sound kinda cheap for a Guaranteed T4 weapon. But if it is just the apex that is a problem that still doesn't mean none of the Therian injectors should be purchasable with renown. Perhaps have the injectors become available for renown purchasing after you purchase unlock the unit with renown? This would make buying an injector cost at least 800 renown and it would cost you one of your unit loadout slots. You certainly aren't going to get that early so it would mostly serve as making the injectors available on world's without a Therian Dwelling.

I think the main problem is the way the weapons are handled.
No other faction (or relic in general for taht matter) gives anything that is solely equipable by heroes. This means, the infrastructure for weapon purchasing would need to be revamped in a way, that unlocking a relic would turn specific weapons into 'earned' weapons. To be honest, I can't remember how it was handled previous to the beta, did you need to load out the hero weapons as mods? Would you then purchase the blueprint?

I am actually more peeved that certain modifiers are not avaible (for example the one that gives the unit and all indentured 25% critchance) while others that target only specific units (for example the wraith one) are in. I just want to have each and every mod, operation and unit avaible! I wouldn't honestly not mind the Therian DNA injectors either, though it does feel like they would be more work than the other regular mods.

This would make buying an injector cost at least 800 renown and it would cost you one of your unit loadout slots. You certainly aren't going to get that early so it would mostly serve as making the injectors available on world's without a Therian Dwelling.
Seems like just allowing it like a vehicle or weapon purchase now would be easiest. The system exists for it already. You just buy the item with renown, and equip it like a weapon. You can currently buy almost any T1-3 weapon this way now. I have even accidentally selected a few of these when equipping my heroes normally.

I am actually more peeved that certain modifiers are not avaible (for example the one that gives the unit and all indentured 25% critchance) while others that target only specific units (for example the wraith one) are in. I just want to have each and every mod, operation and unit avaible! I wouldn't honestly not mind the Therian DNA injectors either, though it does feel like they would be more work than the other regular mods.
The empire game at a certain point works like a puzzle. You are exploring combinations with each race and mod combination. Allowing maximum flexibility seems like a good thing. I have no idea about the logic of allowing certain mods buy denying others. Seems so random.

24 pop city on turn 1? Isn't that a recipe for eternal revolution anarchy in your capital? For you would need to build the happiness improvements first.. Inb4 they are prebuilt for u in advance.

Reactions:
You're messing me up, Nordos. You're supposed to say, "yeah, sounds perfectly reasonable. No worries."

Ok, it's like an purchasable weapon or craft. Functions exactly the same. How would it be harder or different than any other weapon or craft that they want you to buy? You spend influence, then get it in your inventory. How is that "unique?" I don't understand why it is not available ever.

If it's a problem, make it expensive.
You can't buy it instantly for all your heroes, that's how it is unique. Consider they are already available, they just cost 5 million renown and are not displayed to save our sanity :)

You can't buy it instantly for all your heroes, that's how it is unique. Consider they are already available, they just cost 5 million renown and are not displayed to save our sanity :)
For a 60 cosmite 140 energy item you can buy in any game with Therian. Sounds fair.

Also, if you include injectors, you ought to include the chaos vehicles, too. The tier 2 vehicle may be totally fine, but the T4 one.... I think it would be the only 'avaible' T4 vehicle? IIRC; all other vehicles are max T3