• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

neondt

Game Design Lead
Paradox Staff
103 Badges
Jul 24, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Novgorod_torg.JPG

As the title says, this mod makes the Novgorod Republic playable after January 2nd 1136.
If you start earlier than 1136, there's a good chance you'll see the Novgorod Republic form during the game, between 1126 and 1146.

The republic is a titular king-tier title. Inland provinces in the duchy of Novgorod have been given to the historical Archbishop Nifont, and the 4 northern inland Komi provinces have been given to lowborn feudal rulers. The 5 patrician families are the dynasties of the first 5 princes after 1136. I've also given Ingria to Novgorod, to give them a more sensible capital and enough coastal provinces to allow for 1 trade post per patrician.

Download

Updated screenshots:
Independent Realms and Republic

ck210.jpg

Direct Vassals. Each patrician family has a White Sea county and trade post, except for the Knyaz who controls Ingria. The Archbishop (and Patriarch) controls inland Novgorod, and lowborn counts control Romny and Ugra.

ck211.jpg

Event: The Novgorod Republic. Under certain conditions the Republic can form during the course of a game started earlier than 1136

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Update: Added history for Patrician dynasties up to 1167, and history for Archbishops of Novgorod.
Update 17/1: Patrician dynasties well into the 13th Century. New Stepanovich and Nerevinich dynasties replace Ivankovich and Mikulinich dynasties when they cease to be relevant.
Update 25/1: Yet more Patrician, Knyaz, and Count history. Should be playable up to 1240 (The Mongols bookmark) Russian Mayors are now Posadnik. Changed the k_novgorod flag to distinguish it from d_novgorod.
Update 2/2: Added an event that creates the Republic under the right conditions for earlier start dates
Update 6/2: General fixes and improvements
Update 1/6: 1.1 Compatibility

Attachments

• k_novgorod.jpg
    k_novgorod.jpg
    3,9 KB · Views: 26
  • novgorod republic.zip
    41,2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
That must have been easier than I thought it would be. ;)

I request permission to integrate this into VIET.

So... that means I got Yemen, Iceland, and Novogorod without doing any work at all MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That must have been easier than I thought it would be. ;)

I request permission to integrate this into VIET.

So... that means I got Yemen, Iceland, and Novogorod without doing any work at all MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Please do :)

It was actually quite frustrating, but that was likely due to me not having a damn clue how it was supposed to work until jordarkelf and richvh gave me some pointers. Making republics is somewhat unintuitive.

Please do :)

It was actually quite frustrating, but that was likely due to me not having a damn clue how it was supposed to work until jordarkelf and richvh gave me some pointers. Making republics is somewhat unintuitive.

I certainly understand. It sounds pretty weird and all.

So glancing at your files quickly, since you don't have the histories for post-mid 1100s, will the game randomly generate patricians and the like?

I certainly understand. It sounds pretty weird and all.

So glancing at your files quickly, since you don't have the histories for post-mid 1100s, will the game randomly generate patricians and the like?

Good question, no idea. I'd planned to do more histories anyway, so that the patrician families at least had an heir each. I'll get right on it in half an hour or so. Shouldn't take long, as all characters will be entirely fictional (except the Archbishops of Novgorod)

I've written history file for the Archbishops of Novgorod. I'll add it to the mod when I've done more history files. While playing as Novgorod in 1136 works fine, until I've got enough history done no date after the death of Konstantin Mikulinich will function properly, and Novgorod is an unplayable standard republic after 1167. What I'll do is try to get everything up to 1167 finished very soon. The rest can wait until tomorrow or later, as that'll require adding new patrician dynasties.

Edit: Everything's working for start dates up to 1167. Updating first post now. Later start dates to come.

Last edited:
I've written history file for the Archbishops of Novgorod. I'll add it to the mod when I've done more history files. While playing as Novgorod in 1136 works fine, until I've got enough history done no date after the death of Konstantin Mikulinich will function properly, and Novgorod is an unplayable standard republic after 1167. What I'll do is try to get everything up to 1167 finished very soon. The rest can wait until tomorrow or later, as that'll require adding new patrician dynasties.

Good luck with that! :)

I've written enough history for Novgorod to be fully playable for start dates up to 1218. I'll probably do some more this evening so I won't update the link yet. In the meantime, I think the Novgorod Republic needs a new colour and I can't settle on anything. Suggestions?

I've written enough history for Novgorod to be fully playable for start dates up to 1218. I'll probably do some more this evening so I won't update the link yet. In the meantime, I think the Novgorod Republic needs a new colour and I can't settle on anything. Suggestions?

White or a light blue maybe?

the blue is way too much like Sweden. The color of novgorod should be in contrast to Sweden; after all they were historical rivals. What's wrong with green?

I did run a hands-off game for about 100 years just to check everything was working properly, and I have to admit that blue doesn't look different enough to Sweden, which it will almost certainly border quickly. Currently the Archbishop has the duchy title, so it's hard to distinguish between land held by the Knyaz and land held by the Archbishop; so it needs a different colour. Could be another shade of green, but shouldn't be too similar to anything else in Russia.

I wonder if it might make sense to make Novgorod province itself coastal by redrawing provincial boundaries, rather than putting the capital in Ingria. (Might not - I know nothing about map modding.)

It wouldn't be too difficult to do (just add the top half of Ingria to Novgorod and define where the port is), but doing so would make it incompatible with any other mod that changes the map, which is bad for a lot of mod users and modders who want to incorporate it into their own projects. I'd probably be alienating more people than I'd please. At least this is better than having the capital in Samoyedia, as it was in my early beta :p.

Fun fact: quite a lot of the province CK2 defines as Ingria was in fact settled by Novgorodians relatively early in the game's timeframe. Novgorodian Ingria should be in vanilla somewhat earlier really.