10 restarts and Castile always rivals Aragon

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Delpheus

Colonel
51 Badges
Feb 26, 2017
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
So I'm trying to play Aragon, and I can't even get past the first button click. As soon as i click Castile, I see they rivaled me, so I have to press restart. Again. And again. And again.

I have not had one load when Castile did not rival Aragon. Not once. I am still in the process of loading and restarting as I type this. I'm past 10. And I am still getting rivaled always.

I do not remember seeing a patch note that said "Castile AI now always rivals Aragon" but I might have missed that change since there was so much chaos in the leviathan release.

So what's going on? Is this a new change, or is this a bug?

Reactions:
I think it's more of a AI always rivals the player kind of a thing.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Funny how when I play Portugal I'm restarting until Castile and Aragon are rivalling each other. As Godd Howard mentioned it is likely because there is bias against the player. If you are not playing ironman start as Portugal then tag switch.

Reactions:
Why is Castile rivaling Aragon an issue? It won't stop the Iberian Wedding, unless that got fubar'd in 1.31?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Why do people think everything is a bug? Why would that be a bug? You're neighbors. They're of similar power. They rival you. It's kind how the game works.
I thought it was a bug or change because it happens 150% of the time. The game will rival Castile against Aragon before I even boot up my computer. It will always happen. Which is a massive change from the random flip of the coin we had before. So it seemed like a bug or change.

Reactions:
I thought it was a bug or change because it happens 150% of the time. The game will rival Castile against Aragon before I even boot up my computer. It will always happen. Which is a massive change from the random flip of the coin we had before. So it seemed like a bug or change.
No its just your sample isn't large enough

• 2Like
Reactions:
So I'm trying to play Aragon, and I can't even get past the first button click. As soon as i click Castile, I see they rivaled me, so I have to press restart. Again. And again. And again.

I have not had one load when Castile did not rival Aragon. Not once. I am still in the process of loading and restarting as I type this. I'm past 10. And I am still getting rivaled always.

I do not remember seeing a patch note that said "Castile AI now always rivals Aragon" but I might have missed that change since there was so much chaos in the leviathan release.

So what's going on? Is this a new change, or is this a bug?

Why do you need to restart because Castille rivals you? and repeatedly too, at that? If it bothers you, just tag play Castille, rival someone else, tag switch back to Aragon. If you just wanted the achievements that badly and wanted to keep restarting for optimal starts, then you can just save yourself the trouble and Google online on how to cheat ironman etc.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I just tried it and started the game as Aragon and I was not rivalled by Castile. Instead I was rivalled by Hungary, Ottomans and Burgundy. And Castile rivalled England, Morocco and France

Edit: the first test was non-ironman. Now I did an ironman and Castile rivaled Austria, Morocco and England.

Why do you need to restart because Castille rivals you? and repeatedly too, at that? If it bothers you, just tag play Castille, rival someone else, tag switch back to Aragon. If you just wanted the achievements that badly and wanted to keep restarting for optimal starts, then you can just save yourself the trouble and Google online on how to cheat ironman etc.
Don't be deliberately dense, allying or having castile neutral massively helps your early game massively. You'll get them during Iberian wedding for free so don't want to waste any resource taking land, as well as them then expanding in more useful directions

• 1Like
Reactions:
Don't be deliberately dense, allying or having castile neutral massively helps your early game massively. You'll get them during Iberian wedding for free so don't want to waste any resource taking land, as well as them then expanding in more useful directions
This. The last time I tried to play as Aragon when Castile rivaled me, they attacked me in the middle of one of my wars and ruined my game and wasted hours of my life. Yeah. Stop pretending like it's not a big deal.

This. The last time I tried to play as Aragon when Castile rivaled me, they attacked me in the middle of one of my wars and ruined my game and wasted hours of my life. Yeah. Stop pretending like it's not a big deal.
I mean you should have it set to have an allaince Web strong enough, or relations (if not rivalled) high enough, to prevent them joining, but yeh, it can be cancer.
You could've always merced up with loans tho

Reactions:
Actually it is not a big deal. Do not go to war so Castile attacks you. This is basic standard playstyle. I've actually very seldom get attacked by the AI. Make sure you have big allies and and no one can safetly attack you.

Make sure to ally their allies so they can't drag other dangerous AI into a war against you. A simple trick that even the AI uses.

It's more of a challenge and fun to load the game once. And accept what has been given to try and reach your goal. If you fail - just try again.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
That's what they're doing and you're telling them off for it
Why waste my time with the rivalry if I can just restart and play a new game without the rivalry? There's no point In playing if you already know the result is going to be bad. It's much smarter to click restart until the rivalry is not there. It's so simple. Any other "suck it up and suffer" comment is just pointless.

Reactions:
Why waste my time with the rivalry if I can just restart and play a new game without the rivalry? There's no point In playing if you already know the result is going to be bad. It's much smarter to click restart until the rivalry is not there. It's so simple. Any other "suck it up and suffer" comment is just pointless.
I'm agreeing with you Delpheus

I've never played Aragon, but in general I derive more enjoyment from attempting a start, even if it is more difficult than it could be, than re-starting until I get the most favourable game state.

Reactions: