• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pioniere

Field Marshal
17 Badges
May 29, 2006
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Arsenal of Democracy
British Raj after empires end (DH full)
When I played a game with Germany I saw that the British Raj just become and isolated country that did nothing and was neither part of the allies. I think the developers could think of different outcome one this like what about India in terms of Azad Hind nationalists. Perhapes a civilwar setting in India? Its not the first time I have seen that the British Raj becomes isolated, but I think other outcomes might be an idea.

Others things might be to consider Hong Kong as an “independent nation” puppet under Canada. Instead of just having USA to take ownership of Hong Kong.
-
I would recommend that Jamaica (U89) get real ministers/leaders and tech teams. If UK whenever is annexed there is chance that Jamaica revolt.

By the way, I am happy with the 1.5 patch it is just that there is always some small stuff here and there.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
OK, here's something that might actually be doable: Making it possible to change tech team skills via event. At the moment tech teams are very static aside from the occasional event-spawned new one. This is grating because it means nations that don't start with good teams are doomed to always have poor teams without either scripted events or Tech Team Takeover, which is not quite realistic.

Team skills can be easily changed by editing a game's save file without changing the .csv files in the 'teams' folder, so this doesn't sound like a complex change I think.

OK, here's something that might actually be doable: Making it possible to change tech team skills via event. At the moment tech teams are very static aside from the occasional event-spawned new one. This is grating because it means nations that don't start with good teams are doomed to always have poor teams without either scripted events or Tech Team Takeover, which is not quite realistic.

Well...
# there are balancing questions
# while this would equalize research between different countries, they'd also loose their unique/diffeent approaches
# and about realism... mmh, not sure, but some things seem to be quite persistent: 75 years after WW2 and still Russia and Germany suck when it comes to carriers but are still some of the best when it comes to tanks...
# probabyl connected with some geostrategical reasons like landbased (Russia) and lousy ports, Baltic Sea (not really Carrier nor nuclear sub area), UK still an isle, USA still with most of its interests far far away and thus in need of carriers etc.

So I'd think that giving specific countries specific know how / tech teams in some areas and leaving out other areas is rather more realistic (and fun) and adds quite some spice.

Changing tech teams might not be balanced or even realistic, but its totally a good thing to let modders do. I'm in favour because it would allow for interesting alternate history events and generally, more sandbox gameplay.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Team skills can be easily changed by editing a game's save file without changing the .csv files in the 'teams' folder, so this doesn't sound like a complex change I think.
sorry, but why do you need this? This can be implemented by 2 teams - deactivating the old team and activating the new one with any skills that you write to it ...

For instance if you wished the tech team to gain or lose skill depending on a diplo slider. If you wished the team to gain or lose a specialty by event. Tech team switch events are cumbersome. A simple code and event engine change could make the interface and process alot easier. Such as not having to script for every nation's tech teams to switch on certain common events like IC gain or loss. Avoiding thousands of event line reads to reproduce the same effect.

For instance if you wished the tech team to gain or lose skill depending on a diplo slider. If you wished the team to gain or lose a specialty by event. Tech team switch events are cumbersome. A simple code and event engine change could make the interface and process alot easier. Such as not having to script for every nation's tech teams to switch on certain common events like IC gain or loss. Avoiding thousands of event line reads to reproduce the same effect.
I prefer that the developers bring something new to the game, for example, complicating the battles (additional less effective tactics if the main ones did not appear) or tactics from both sides as done in НOI4. IMHO let them make the game a little better and more interesting than a little more convenient for modding.

I prefer that the developers bring something new to the game, for example, complicating the battles (additional less effective tactics if the main ones did not appear) or tactics from both sides as done in НOI4. IMHO let them make the game a little better and more interesting than a little more convenient for modding.
First of all i think it is the mod support that keeps the game "alive" - a strategy game without a vital modding community is dead.
I understand the point here. I would welcome new game aspects too (as long as they can be modded like any other DH added content ;))
but i would shift the focus.
Out of my view DH should add 3 core components for a more challenging experiance:
1.) Air Force Runway attack mission that will damage planes on the attacked air field. Such a change would bring a lot of power, potential and new dynamics into aerial warfare.
2.) AI improvements - army/air army/fleet parameters: We need a kind of AI file where ideal fleets/air armies/armies are defined for the AI. It is frustrating to run into random AI unit stacks that cant deal a solide amount of damage because of bad rations. E.g. AI shouldnt combine large capital ship fleets with submarines or transports or CVEs or any other "bad stuff". Furthermore the AI should be able to work with stack limits because the AI overstacking is another large problem for a solide AI game. Those AI improvements could have a massive impacts on such a game.
3.) New combat missions like artillery barrage (reduce enemy's organisation, deal attrition damage to own troops) and/or new leader abilities like carrier expert (bonus for CVs), subhunter expert (DD bonus/spotting buff), tank killer expert (hardattack buff for infantry armies to stop tank only attacks) and/or stuff like this.

But like i said: I think the workshop should be the last ultimate goal because it would help the remaining community to get new content by mod projects.

And my personal "top dream" would be a reworked multiplayer netcode/mp system with mp lobby but i think that would be way to complicated for the team.
By the way; is DH still working on content?

• 2Like
Reactions:
>is DH still working on content?
Doesn't look like it. AC is still active and Martin pops in now and again. Doubt there is a 1.06 or 1.05.2 on the back burner or planned. If there is you'd think they would at least hint at it to spur interest in their product.

I think that as long as there's an active community that continues to play, mod, post(even here) upload video and other media on the internet, and more importantly choose DH: HOI2 over the newer products paradox offers, there will be someone who sees the value in feeding this hungry gaming community with new hope and products. Whether that's Paradox, a group of the original DH developers with new financial backing, or another company buying DH from Paradox and releasing it, remains to be seen. There are companies that do that.

My group plays Darkest Hour, not HOI3 nor HOI4(Though most of us have them). We're not going anywhere. In fact, we're still growing. I cannot find a youtube nor any other review that ranks either of those newer releases with DH. I've seen HOI4 particularly but also HOI3 brutally reviewed. I find it hard to believe Paradox would abandon this game group unless they overinvested in unsuccessful new releases and are now in freefall. I've seen this with another company I won't mention. They took a while to back on track, but they are now. Paradox right now has the market on this realtime strategy which I think started a revolution in the strategy gaming world. When it's all said and done, a game like Darkest Hour will remain on top.

• 1Like
Reactions:
DH was the first 'paradox' game I actually bought and still is my favorite hoi game. I gave up on hoi IV and returned to DH and realized something everyone here already probably know. I should never have left in the first place. I hope the game is still being developed in some way even if its a very slow work. I even bought DH again but this time on GOG. Long live Darkest Hour ! And for all dh devs out there, a big thank you(to all of you) for creating such a amazing game.

It would be awesome to be able to move your troops to another country without having to declare war first. I'm thinking about the stuff that happens in Syria right now: Turkish soldiers are on syria territory without an invitation or a declaration of war. Maybe it is possible to do something like that in DH. Just violate the borders of another country without a DOW. If you do that, there could be an event that triggers automatically which gives you lots of belligerence and dissent. Maybe other countries can choose decisions then to formally warn you about your actions, maybe resulting in a DOW without getting belligerence against the aggressor.

Some chinese ideas :
As Nationalist China, after annexing Communist China and the warlords, but before Japan declares war (or if Japan doesn't want to declare war) : a decision to send an ultimatum to Japan to give back their possessions in China could be a good idea. This decision could also be divided in 3 possible proposal : Ask it for nothing, Ask it for off map PP (like when Nationalist China is at war with the USSR over Xinjiang and Japan offers to help), or Do not ask.
This could also amount to Germany continuing the Sino-German cooperation pact and Germany suggesting to bring Nationalist China in the Axis against the USSR for the recovery of the old chinese territories (Mongolia, Tanu Tuva and possibly Transamur) and international concessions (Hong Kong, Macao, and the territories in the Raj).

As Communist China, a decision about joining the Commintern or ask for Soviet Aid could be implemented.

As Manchukuo : A decision where Puyi asks the Qing throne over China could be made, leading to China having claims and/or national provinces over the Chinese territories (excluding Meijiang). Japan can accept or refuse the proposal. I suggest claims during the war in China and maybe cores or a coring mecanic after the war (decision where you core a region for some times like 120 days or more, cannot core several at once) ?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Perhaps aircraft carriers should slowly lose org while in combat even if out of enemy range (perhaps in accordance with the enemy's Air Attack values), similar to how they lose org when they do Port Strikes. To represent ammunition getting expended, pilot fatigue, planes being shot down, etc. This would make them slightly less overpowered in naval combat, and mean that a single CVL cannot hold back a full fleet of battleships indefinitely.

Advancing against carriers with a gunnery fleet would still be quite costly, but at least it would be possible.

Reactions:
AI - it would be good to have few things:
- support_attack_prop variable. Often AI will attack from several provinces and moving all units into a new province it just won. That often leaves gaps that are easy to exploit.
- region/area_priorities in front. A the moment it will only use province ids, It would be easier with area/region

Hello, I have realized that some small countries do not have many options to experiment at the naval level, more specifically due to the technological question, playing with the country of Venezuela, it practically does not have any equipment with naval engineering or any other naval specialty, this makes it extremely The investigation of such technologies is difficult, even in advanced years and having the plans.

I know that this is a small country with little industrial and technological capacity for the time, but it should at least have the option of being able to expand and grow individually like any other nation, or at least in naval terms.

that's something I would like to see ..

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ploesti Province Anti Air Event.

Not sure when the event should fire, but at least after Romania has become part of the Axis. The event should cost some resources and upgrade the Anti Air defences, in the province, if not to a maximum, then at least so it is quite strong. Radar should be part of the upgrade. Any computer-controlled Axis Intercepter Airforce in the province should be able to conduct the Air Scramble Mission. Or if not that, then it should be a "garrison" Interceptor unit, that is locked to the province airfield.

In June 1942, 13 B-24 Liberators of the "Halverson project" (HALPRO) attacked Ploiești. Though damage was small, Germany and Romania responded by putting strong anti-aircraft defenses around Ploiești. Luftwaffe General Alfred Gerstenberg built one of the heaviest and best-integrated air defense networks in Europe. The defenses included several hundred large-caliber 88mm guns and 10.5 cm FlaK 38 anti-aircraft guns, and many more small-caliber guns. The latter were concealed in haystacks, railroad cars, and mock buildings. German and Romanian AA artillery at Ploiești consisted of 52 heavy (88 mm), 9 medium (37 mm), and 17 light (20 mm) anti-aircraft batteries. These were divided between the German 5th Flak Division (30 heavy, 5 medium, and 7 light batteries) and the Romanian 4th AA Brigade (22 heavy, 2 medium, and 10 light batteries). Half of the manpower of the German 5th Flak Division was Romanian.[12][13] The Axis had 52 fighters within flight range of Ploiești (Bf 109 fighters and Bf 110 night fighters, plus assorted types of Romanian IAR 80 fighters).[14] For the defense of Ploiești, the Royal Romanian Air Force had aircraft from five Escadrile (Squadrons): 61 (IAR 80B), 62 (IAR 80B), 45 (IAR 80C), 53 (Bf 109G) and 68 (Bf 110).[15] These defenses made Ploiești the third or fourth most heavily defended target in Axis Europe, after Berlin and Vienna or the Ruhr, and thus the most heavily defended Axis target outside the Third Reich.[12]

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Urban provinces turned into rubble, providing the defender with an increased advantedge.

Urban provinces turned into rubble, according to either:

Prolonged battles of a certain amount of time and on a certain scale.
Perhaps army scaled battles, involving at least 12 divisions on both sides?
3426880.jpg

Prolonged air bombardments of a certain amount of time and on a certain scale.
Perhaps air fleet bombardments, bombarding both day and night for at least 1 month?
38740568_303.jpg

remove year limit for technical equipment for longer games with small countries..
as well as the limit of the year of mobilization of the army that only goes up to 63

in general it would be great if you could have the default option and settings for a much longer game than up to 64 .. without the player having to edit the .EUG

Last edited: