1/4th of the World is Missing. Fixing India, China, and the colonies.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So with game mechanic fixes/patches being sold with expansions; why does Paradox think that will be a reason to buy instead of a reason to not buy? What I'm seeing here is that I shouldn't buy this game because one or more parts of it won't even work right.

People buy new cell phones yearly because they are 'new' and 'improved'. Why should a game be different?:rofl:

Heck I only got my first cell phone ever last month. I think everybody under 25 should be required to use a 'dial' phone to honor
their ancestors (like me) and to learn patience!:D

So with game mechanic fixes/patches being sold with expansions; why does Paradox think that will be a reason to buy instead of a reason to not buy? What I'm seeing here is that I shouldn't buy this game because one or more parts of it won't even work right.

That actually what they stopped doing since CK2.

For HOI1 2 and 3, Victoria 1 and 2, Crusader Kings 1 and Europa Universalis 1 2 3 you HAVE TO buy the expansions to get the latests patchs. With CK2, EU4 and HOI4 you can always have the free patchs with the base game. Only optional and additional content is unlocked with expansions (for instance, Hindu rulers in CK2)
Most of the fixes/updates and content is available in the free patches.

EU4 is a little more a grey zone I find in that there didn't START as being as much unplayable content as in CK2. It was the unplayable content from the start because the focus of the game started as limited as it was in CK1, only being able to play Christian feudal lords. (in fact, they said that the only reason Orthodox Christians were playable from the start is because they were in CK1, otherwise they wouldn't have had them playable, as the game mechanics are really most suited to Christians).

While I like the DLC/Expansion strategy, I feel like it works way better for CK2 than with the other franchises where the base gameplay is applicable to every country (though playing an Asian country in EUIV strikes me as about as flavourless as playing a Muslim in pre-expansion CK2 would have been)

Heck I only got my first cell phone ever last month. I think everybody under 25 should be required to use a 'dial' phone to honor
their ancestors (like me) and to learn patience!:D

They should make them take a course where they have to ask the operator to be put through ;).

Egad! I had forgotten them! Nuuumbbber Pleaaase!
lilly.jpg

I want a mobile phone app that gives me that wheel you had to turn to input numbers ^_^ .

@Porkman: I feel I have a good representation of war in China right now in my dev version of CCIP for Darkest Hour, but it's not out yet.

-Locked divisions for minor warlords that aren't countries, get's unlocked a while after the war with Japan and war going poorly for China.
-Huge supply drain on CHI for those divisions which ties up IC
-An 'army shatters' event that fires to represent Chinese army unpreparedness against Japanese troops, early morale defeats in the Battle of Shanghai, and being overrun by tanks (no effective weapons vs tanks).
-Accurate OOB
-Experimental Japan AI that can win vs China (not yet finalized, still areas to improve) in ~2 years.
-(Future) Chinese Civil War (code cleanup from CCIP for DH 1.02)
-(Future) Emergency Conscription system (new)
-(Future) Japanese Supply Shortage system (new)
-(Future) Partisans and Collaborationist system (code cleanup from CCIP for DH 1.02)

The Warlords wouldn't be very well represented as colonies- in fact, I honestly feel like Semper Fi era- HoI3 was probably their best representation. For starters, it wouldn't make sense for Japan's gameplay- When they came into China, they didn't just replace Yan Xishan and call it a day- they smashed it into one part puppet state (via Mengjiang) which was supposed to be an Inner Mongolian government, and one part direct occupation area. The outer cliques I could see more, but I think the whole annexation-occupation concept works pretty well for them- after all, if Japan was able to capture, say, Ma Hongkui (represented in game as occupying Xibei San Ma's capital), I'd imagine that'd be the trigger for collapse of the entire Ma Clique army- after all, people are serving them instead of Kai-Shek for a reason. Then it'd just be yet another front Chiang now has to stretch his forces to.

On that subject, I don't think Japan's starting territory would be very well as colonies. Korea was treated as a direct part of Japan (no occupation or colony or anything) after the southern expansion plan started coming to fruition- maybe it spends a few years as a colony until being annexed fully when Marco Polo Bridge happens?- and Manchukuo was a proper enough government that I think it itself would be better as a proper puppet than a colony- I'd compare its level of independence more to the likes of Slovakia than I would the Raj, just more of a Japanese military presence there for those rebels and the like. Mengiang and China-Nanjing, however, I think would definitely work as your definition of colonies (which I think is a pretty good idea, myself).

The real question comes down to colonial size and scope. It's easy to point to, say, the Raj, and say "That's a colony". But what of British Africa? After all, by this point, there's an unbroken line from Sudan to Botswana (I think I'd agree with Darkest Hour's definition that Egypt would be better represented as a Puppet State than colony), as well as from Morocco to the modern RoC. If we draw them at every country, British Africa would be an outright nightmare, especially given modern nations that are the size of one traditional HoI province, and they wouldn't even be particularly useful for the UK. On the other hand, having a massive "British Africa" wouldn't be quite a good representation either. Sudan'd be the trickiest case, I think, since Britain and Egypt technically shared ownership.

So, what were you thinking on that, then?

The irony is that this thread is well over a year old with no responses.

We do not approve of thread necromancy around this forum. If porkman wants to start a new thread based on new information we've seen since September 2014, by all means let him do so.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.