• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I made YodaMaster's province file change, and now when I load the game save, I get an error saying the game can't find catholic.txt. When I choose "ignore" the game crashes.

I tried starting a new game, and the same thing happens.

I'm running Japanese WinXP, and when I look in province.csv and other files, international characters with umlauts and so on get converted into 2-byte Japanese characters, even if I change the font to a Unicode non-Japanese one in Notepad. I had a problem editing the province file in Victoria for the same reason. With Victoria, I just wanted to reassign a province to a different state, but my simple changing of numbers (not province names) and saving with Notepad would crash the game.

YodaMaster, could you post a link to the corrected province.csv file so I can be sure it's not my OS causing the error? In any case, there are others with the same Cantabria problem, so maybe the 1.8 download should be updated with the new province.csv, I think. ;)

Last edited:
Armandeus said:
I'm running Japanese WinXP
PM me your email and I will send you the corrected province.csv. Anyway, the change in province.csv for Cantabria is purely cosmetic (only army position). Revert to the original 1.38 province.csv in the mean time.

almoravid said:
Whenever you start hungary in 1520, you still get Janos II. Zapolya instead of a proper Jagiellon king.
Problem is for Hungary then, not for Bohemia, isn't it? I will take a look at monarchs.hun

EDIT: seems that your post was forgotten in 1.38 compiling. I checked, there is no problem with new monarch 18785.

Last edited:
in event PAP17406 "Charles V's Mercenary Army Sacks Rome" the tag in the trigger is wrong, iirc YodaMaster told me it should be FRA...
core = { province = 389 data = NAP } #Milan
core = { province = 393 data = NAP } #Naples
core = { province = 394 data = NAP } #Apulia

Bordic said:
in event PAP17406 "Charles V's Mercenary Army Sacks Rome" the tag in the trigger is wrong, iirc YodaMaster told me it should be FRA...
core = { province = 389 data = NAP } #Milan
core = { province = 393 data = NAP } #Naples
core = { province = 394 data = NAP } #Apulia
Right, but it was too late for 1.38. According to Garbon:
Garbon said:
Bugs starting with post 241 and up are not accounted for...additionally, I'll put up a listing of all the bugs in the 1.37.1 thread that I also didn't address. I don't want to delay 1.38 anymore, so we can always resolve them for 1.38.1
Your post was #270.

Not a bug, but events.txt and revolt.txt are still duplicated in Reformation folder. Good ones are in db folder.

EDIT: another unnecessary file in events folder, AGCEEP_Specific_Ragusa.eue

Last edited:
dharper said:
"We've lost the loyalty of Normady for good" happened to England twice in my game.
That's WAD. One is for Caux and the other for Normandie...the following 'repair' would be for clarfication and aesthetics, really...simply paste over the old event.

#We've lost the loyalty of Caux for good...

event = {
id = 1000150
random = no
country = ENG
trigger = {
atwar = no
NOT = {
event = 1000062 #English Final Victory ->ENG
OR = {
owned = { province = 384 data = -1 }
vassal = { country = ENG country = NRM }
}
}
}
date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1447 }
deathdate = { day = 31 month = december year = 1483 }

name = "We've lost the loyalty of Caux for good..."
desc = "As the War of attrition in France dragged on, the foremost victims were the common people who lived off the land. The taxes, raids, counter raids and levies had tried and tested the people's tolerance for the harsh rule of the English Kings. Centuries had passed since the English Kings were Dukes of Normandy. It was clear that with the last English presence removed from the province, Caux was forever lost."

action_a = {
name = "Our claims fall on deaf ears..."
command = { type = removecore which = 384 }
}
}

Also, the "Normandy is ravaged by war" happened to England, even though they didn't own Normandy at the time (the Dauphin won it from them early, but lost it later).

Ok, can you confirm that this was the event? If so, what's bolded below should be added...

#Normandy is Laid to Waste

event = {
id = 164007
random = no
country = ENG

trigger = {
event = 1000014 #The Legacy of Charles VI ->ENG
OR = {
owned = { province = 384 data = ENG }
owned = { province = 413 data = ENG }
}

}
date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1429 }
offset = 200
deathdate = { day = 31 month = december year = 1430 }

name = "Normandy is Laid to Waste"
desc = "Besides the subsidies granted to the Crown by the estates there was a gabelle, a quatrieme on wine and cider, and a sales tax on all goods. In addition the guet was levied, a hearth tax to pay the troops. The peasants in Normandy suffered fromt he English garrisons -- foraging, looting and kidnapping for ransom, and the patis. By now, the plundering grew still more oppresive. The English freebooters and ecorcheurs laid waste to peasant life across the Norman lands. Lancastrian France was becoming a wilderness laid waste by its garisons, by deserters, by erocheurs and by Dauphinist raiders. At the end of the 1420s, the revenues from Normandy began to fall drastically, with vast swathes of fertile and arable lands now barren and deserted. A series of bad harvests only exaserbated the crisis, fueling a bread shortage and adding to the peasants' misery. It would not be long before a series of revolts would break out across the vast Duchy territory..."

action_a = {
name = "Is there nothing we can do ?!"
command = { type = provincetax which = 384 value = -2 }
command = { type = provincetax which = 413 value = -2 }
command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 384 value = 4 }
command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 413 value = 4 }
}
}

I'm not sure if it's a bug or WAD, but England granted Burgundy champagne, even though Dauphiné owned it at the time.

Since Provence lost Maine by event to England while Provence itself was occupied by Savoy, it ceased to exist very early on in the war.
I'd recommend playing without forced annexation. I think most use forced annexation, but my guess is that it's a contributing factor for why minors get eaten up so easily.

Thus, it came as a surprise to have the "Anjou is restored to Rene I" event happen to me - but not as much of a surprise when Rene found himself in Languedoc without Anjou.
Is this an event that fired for you playing as ENG? I'm having some trouble finding the event.

I just downloaded 1.38 and have noticed that the Deluxe version which is supposed to include EGUFSM is adding old stylee vanilla shields for the following tags...

KUS. NOG. PAM. POM. STT. SYR. THU. TYR.

It wasnt like this in the previous download - I fail to see why it has suddenly appeared in this one.

EDIT:
I should note that i use the latest EGUFSM in the vanilla game so there really shouldnt be any of the old stylee shields at all...
It must be AGCEEP.

In events no. PRO262009 and PRO262010 concerning #The battle over Naples (1442)#
the line command = { type = breakvassal which = NAP } in action_a doesn't work if Province annexes Naples or vassalize it!

I think that adding the line command = { type = breakvassal which = PRO } in event no. NAP239010 could solve the problem as it seems that this command works only when a vassal use it...not the other way around.

In fact, in one test I made, it happened that Province inherited Naples and then made it independent but still vassalized and the new monarch in Naples wasn't Alfonso I but someone called "Foggia"!? :confused:
What does it mean? Foggia afaik is a city in Apulia!

In # The will of king Alfons (1458) the event no. ARG7114 triggers the event no. 7118, what is it about?

Last edited:
To Bordic: wait for 1.38.1 and/or correct it yourself in the mean time ;)

Bugfix for PRO262009 and PRO262010 in vassal-breakvassal Thread post #10.

Other vassal-breakvassal bugs and isues should be discussed there.

Last edited:
Inheritance command missing in ARG111024

Code:
# Fernando and Isabel kings of Aragon #
# by Twoflower and Fodoron #
event = {
	id = 111024
	random = no
	country = ARG
	name = "EVENTNAME111024"
	desc = "EVENTHIST111024"
	style = 1

action_a ={ # Fernando & Isabel
		name = "ACTIONAME111024A"
		command = { type = addcore which = 431 } # Cantabria
		command = { type = addcore which = 432 } # Asturias
		command = { type = addcore which = 433 } # Galicia
		command = { type = addcore which = 435 } # Leon
		command = { type = addcore which = 436 } # Castilla
		command = { type = addcore which = 438 } # Murcia
		command = { type = addcore which = 439 } # Toledo
		command = { type = addcore which = 440 } # Extremadura
		command = { type = addcore which = 443 } # Andalucia
		command = { type = addcore which = 444 } # Gibraltar
		command = { type = addcore which = 445 } # Granada
		command = { type = addcore which = 817 } # Canary Islands
		command = { type = add_countryculture which = iberian } # Castilian
		command = { type = remove_countryculture which = amazonian } # to order them properly
		command = { type = remove_countryculture which = italian }
		command = { type = remove_countryculture which = basque }
		command = { type = add_countryculture which = amazonian }
		command = { type = add_countryculture which = basque }
		command = { type = add_countryculture which = italian }
		[COLOR=gold]command = { type = inherit which = CAS }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = stability value = 2 }
		command = { type = wakeleader which = 150007 } # Fernando of Aragon
	}
}

Last edited:
ribbon22 said:
Ok, can you confirm that this was the event?
Sorry, no. As I was playing Dauphine and England didn't own Normandy, I wasn't sure what was going on.

However, since reading your event text, I see that since they did in fact own Caux, the event was working perfectly - it was just a bit misleading.

I'd recommend playing without forced annexation. I think most use forced annexation, but my guess is that it's a contributing factor for why minors get eaten up so easily.
I don't have any experience playing with it off. Wouldn't that make it impossible for nations of differing religions to conquer each other (except by event)? I'm thinking that's a bad thing - it would seriously muck with history in many parts of the world.

Does it work differently than I thought?

Is this an event that fired for you playing as ENG? I'm having some trouble finding the event.
No, I was playing Dauphine/France. This is the event in question (specific_France):
[CODE#Anjou is Returned to Duke Rene I

event = {
id = 170032
random = no
country = FRA

trigger = {
event = 2200008 #Bedford is Granted the Duchy Lands of Anjou ->ENG
owned = { province = 412 data = FRA }
control = { province = 412 data = FRA }
atwar = no
}
date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1445 }
offset = 60
deathdate = { day = 31 month = december year = 1450 }

name = "Anjou is Returned to Duke Rene I"
desc = "Having recovered the heartland of Anjou's estates, Charles VII rewarded his long time ally and friend Duke Rene I of Anjou and restored to him his estates in Anjou and Maine"

action_a = {
name = "Grant Rene I his lands as agreed"
command = { type = independence which = PRO }
command = { type = trigger which = 262031 } #Maine and Anjou are Recovered! ->PRO
}
}[/CODE]
The event triggers an unimportant event for Provence:
Code:
#Maine and Anjou are Recovered! (triggered by 170032 ->FRA )

event = {
id = 262031
random = no
country = PRO

name = "Maine and Anjou are Recovered"
desc = "Duke Rene I, landless and poverty stricken, had been rewarded for his years of faithful service to his King, Charles VII. The King recovered the Duke's counties of Maine and Anjou and now granted them to Duke Rene I."

action_a = {
name = "Great !"
command = { type = stability value = 1 }
command = { type = relation which = FRA value = 50 }
}
}
It doesn't make any sense at all. Looking at the event text, France should be ceding Maine to Provence, perhaps granting independence to them as a backup in case they're destroyed.

Instead, there's no possible way for Maine to be given back to Provence after it loses it by event earlier (I suppose it's possible it will never be occupied by England, but really...).

My impression is that it was meant to be a backup in case Provence was wiped out, but then there should have been a trigger with that condition. Honestly, I'm stumped - there used to be an event that (I thought) worked fine for this, and now it's gone.

A minor Ottoman bug:

"The Barbarossas" event (event 50024) has the action names missing, so I wasn't sure what I was doing (the effects don't make it terribly clear).

almoravid said:
Crimea should be blue - If Shirvan conflicts, give Shirvan a different colour.

Why must Crimea be blue? Crimea was changed as it conflicts with the Safavid Empire which is now blue. Shirvan is light blue so it doesn't conflict with either.

angelscotboi said:
I just downloaded 1.38 and have noticed that the Deluxe version which is supposed to include EGUFSM is adding old stylee vanilla shields for the following tags...

KUS. NOG. PAM. POM. STT. SYR. THU. TYR.

It wasnt like this in the previous download - I fail to see why it has suddenly appeared in this one.

EDIT:
I should note that i use the latest EGUFSM in the vanilla game so there really shouldnt be any of the old stylee shields at all...
It must be AGCEEP.

Actually, KUS NOG SYR don't have EGUSFM shields yet as they use shields that are in the EGUSFM which I didn't have, so I didn't correct them. I downloaded the deluxe version and the problem was there already for POM, STT, THU, TYR.

YodaMaster said:
Not a bug, but events.txt and revolt.txt are still duplicated in Reformation folder. Good ones are in db folder.

EDIT: another unnecessary file in events folder, AGCEEP_Specific_Ragusa.eue

These things happen when the compiler is biased towards one version. Only an issue in the deluxe version, as I was working off the base but forgot to remove them from the deluxe. :p Thats what happened with the Theodoro graphics as well...the base has the correct version but I forgot to modify the deluxe. :eek:o

In that event:

Code:
event = {
   	id = 390000
	trigger = { exists = ITA }
   	random = no
   	country = MAN
   	name = "The Kingdom of Italy threatens the balance" , etc...
MAN should be PAM as it is in Agceep_specificParma. MAN has already its own event, no.220008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#The Enlightenment arrives: the Cafè# Event VEN326006 The newspaper is called "Il Caffè" in Italian language and was founded in 1764 in Milan (under Austrian rule) and first published in Brescia (under Venetian rule) in 1766. so my suggestions 1763->1766 and the Cafè->il Caffè in eventname and -description.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

COFFEEDESC;Coffee was used as a stimulant by the Aztecs, Incas and Indian rulers since the early medivals. It was popularized in Europe in the early 16th century when the Spaniards imported it from its American colonies. For many hundred years coffee was considered a luxury product until it finally was used on a daily basis by the common people.;;;;;;;;;;10081

This description confuses Coffee with Cacao which was effectively used by the Aztecs.
Coffee was well known in Arabian peninsula in XIV/XV century (the city of Moka in Yemen gives the name to the proceeding how to make coffee) and was introduced in Central and Southern America by the Dutch through their colonies (Dutch Guyana) because of ideal conditions for growing up.

More Ottoman bugs

Turko-Persian Conflicts: The war between the Ottomans and Safavid Persia in 1603 (Persian event triggers TUR3363) probably shouldn't happen if Persia is an Ottoman vassal, as happened in my game. The Ottomans would have been heavily penalized for attacking their own vassal and ally!

Kosem Sultana: Having Kosem be the power behind the throne is fine...but from the event description and commands given, it's clear she's meant to be the power behind the throne for 20 years - not the 5 or 6 that Ahmad lives for. Since monarch modifiers are cancelled when a new monarch takes the throne, this means the 480 months in the event are misleading. Either we need to script new events for each monarch to give bonuses (possibly lessening as reaction against her increases) or we need to make her a dormant monarch that can replace several other monarchs when Ahmad dies. Removing two-thirds of the intended effect makes this event and the Ottomans quite weak.

The Conquests of Mehmed IV: The action name for this event is missing.

Ottoman Cores: I don't know if it's intentional, but when the Ottomans get a core on Podolia, they don't have cores on any province touching Podolia - neither Moldovia or Wallachia are ever considered Ottoman cores. This makes it hard for them to conquer Podolia, since keeping Moldovia as a one-province vassal usually means Poland adds it to their holdings.

In addition, one Ghazi bug:

Ottoman Rule is Returned: This event happens even if Smyrna is conquered by a third nation (Byzantium, Karaman, the Knights, et cetera). The event text doesn't make any sense in that case and it triggers an event for the Ottomans that won't have any effect. We should add the trigger that Ghazi (or the Ottomans?) own Smyrna to this event.