• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Norrefeldt said:
Automatic ceding in ahistorical cases, like what IDLF suggested for POR-SPA, isn't a good idea IMO.

IMO I agree with Norrefeldt.

As a compromise, I can agree to an event having TUR allies, if not to large, give Constantinople to TUR. But not the other events. I also think we should get OE take it in the first place more often, by raising enemy to perhaps 10 in their AI file. Having all nations holding Constantinople declaring war or ceding it to OE is taking historical plausibility very very far. Letting OE get them automatically when the province is taken in war would be to set aside the peace rules for a ahistorical thing, so I don't like that event either. :(

My games, that problem arises in that OE does take thrace always (eventually) but the year of the capture is critical. Anything after 1460 is bad for the OE. My games have OE usually taking thrace between 1445 - 1455. This does sometimes cut it short though.

normal sequence ie
OE wars Serbia
OE wars ghazi
OE wars moldovia
OE wars Hungary (hun usually start it)
OE wars trabiz
OE wars candar
Now is when the OE finally take on BRZ.

In my last playtest, Malacca DOWed Cambodia. He had no border to him, although his ally did, and of course the "areas for expansion" in his AI file are blank.

This proves that AIs will DOW both without a border and without the victim being in the "areas for expansion." Although this doesn't rule out conclusively that "areas for expansion" has zero effect on DOWs, it does show that DOWs happen with non-neighbors regardless of them.

I'm becoming extremely skeptical that "areas for expansion" has anything to do with DOWing at all. The top part of the AI files seems to be clearly related to colonization and exploration. The bottom part is related to AI behvaiour for war.

The amount of testing it would take to defintively say that "areas for expansion" has an effect on DOWs hasn't been done yet. What has been noticed so far could just as easily be explained as sheer coincidence.

Besides all of this Daywalker, who most likely knows much more about this matter than all of us, has been cited as claiming that "areas for expansion" doesn't have an effect on DOWs.

doktar

If you need a view on the maps for OE (my games), I will send via your email.
I seem to not have permssion to place them on this forum.

These maps show OE progress with area for expansion on balkans only and another with Balkans and levant only.

idontlikeforms said:
Besides all of this Daywalker, who most likely knows much more about this matter than all of us, has been cited as claiming that "areas for expansion" doesn't have an effect on DOWs.

Can you let me know where he cited this?

Daywalkers files are an excellent base for the AGCEEP to manipulate/amend.

I would like to know If I can amend the starting and ending dates for these files.

Toio said:
Can you let me know where he cited this?
I wish I could bro but I don't know where he said this myself. Fodoron, in the Iberia thread, claimed that he said they have nothing to do with wars. I PMed Daywalker asking him to respond on this matter, but unfortunately he hasn't even looked at the message yet.
Toio said:
Daywalkers files are an excellent base for the AGCEEP to manipulate/amend.
I agree. When I run into AI trouble spots, I check out how his AI file for the time period is set, and just assume he ran into the same problem. When I see what he did, I often realize why right away and then test it and sure enough he was completely aware of the same problem. I find his AI files to be very useful in this way.
Toio said:
I would like to know If I can amend the starting and ending dates for these files.
You do it by AI only events. Check the AI file list then look at which countries have many AIs. Then search their event file for that AI file name. You'll see how the event is supposed to look. At what time an AI file kicks in is pretty darn important.

idontlikeforms said:
You do it by AI only events. Check the AI file list then look at which countries have many AIs. Then search their event file for that AI file name. You'll see how the event is supposed to look. At what time an AI file kicks in is pretty darn important.

Sorry, i will explain clearer.

In the AGCEEP events folder there is a folder called AI , these are the sequences of ai event numbers for nations. I want to know if I can add, delete, change dates and if I can do I need to do anything else, elsewhere?

Toio said:
Sorry, i will explain clearer.

In the AGCEEP events folder there is a folder called AI , these are the sequences of ai event numbers for nations. I want to know if I can add, delete, change dates and if I can do I need to do anything else, elsewhere?
You change the date that an AI file kicks in by changing the date on the event that triggers it. The currently active AI file remains until a new AI switching event triggers another one to start in it's place.

idontlikeforms said:
You change the date that an AI file kicks in by changing the date on the event that triggers it. The currently active AI file remains until a new AI switching event triggers another one to start in it's place.

cAN i ADD EXTRAS?

Toio said:
cAN i ADD EXTRAS?
You can do with them whatever you can do with any other event. I have some with specific conditions. I also have some that are attached to regular historical events and don't have "ai = yes" in the trigger conditions too. The command to switch AI files won't show up for humans.

Norrefeldt said:
I think someone should explicitly ask for a HC vote to take a submission to HC vote. Sometimes a HC member can object to certain things, and get persuaded the current submission is fine as it is, or realise there isn't enough support to vote it done anyway, or that the objection wasn't important enough to take it to a vote. In all those cases it would be unnecessary to have called a vote and having HC members to ask for it explicitly would also keep the number of votes to a minimum.
agreed, but I don't think this alters ordinary circumstances or precedents. In other words, if someone objects to a submission, implementation should be put on a temporary hold until we sort out the objection.

The objection itself should, ideally, be made in the submissions thread of origin. Sure, someone may make a crazy objection, but do we take it seriously? No. But if someone has a valid objection, then the submitter or someone who agrees with the submission, should answer the objection, and ordinary debate/discussion should ensue, ideally.

doktarr said:
\AGCEEP\Events\AI

Open any of the AI shift.txt files.

You can figure it out.

Easy to figure, but is it linked to anything else ie other files other than the AI.

Anyway I will leave as is until I have comleted the tests.

So here's my opinion of the BYZ/TUR situation. I should say beforehand though, that I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, and mean no offense; just straight up opinion.

Alright, so I've looked at the 4 events...why is there an AI event? I don't see any reason to have one. I can see reason for an automatic seceding event, but with perhaps more triggers (for instance, why should TUR get Thrace if a country other than BYZ ownes it? - read on before you rush to answer that). I'm not prepared to vote to give a carte blanche in this situation to any tag, regardless of anything, that would no wbe able to hand Thrace over to TUR based soley on TUR controlership. Not just yet anyways.

One would think that including the times that BYZ actually keeps Thrace, this should boost the overall probability of TUR acquiring Thrace by the CoT deadline to acceptable levels. At the very least, we attempt the light handed approach first, and this fails, we then have better reason to go to the heavier solutions.

Also, there was a mention about scripting an event in case of the BYZ/TUR vassalage being broken early (a few posts after doktarr's post #88). That would be simple enough to do, and I think that's a good idea (I believe it may have been doktarr's but I'm not sure). At any rate, you'd post an interpretation for what that vassalage meant historically, then use this for the basis of formulating an plausible ahistorical implication/consequence of what it would then mean to have such a vassalage broken prematurely. Finally, you'd translate such consequences into the action commands of an event that is based on no existing vassalage between BYZ and TUR (maybe use a relation and stability trigger in there?).

I'd guess that this would probably give TUR grounds to DoW BYZ, though the event should not, IMO, force a DoW (that'd be unfair to the BYZ player) but rather, the A choice should lower relations terribly, provide a casus belli (if not a core, if there isn't already one there) and maybe even some troops and gold for the influx of hawks at Court, eager to teach BYZ a lesson in submission. B choice would be to let the issue drop.

Perhaps, if doktarr considers the above suggestions, we might be able to hammer out a compromise set of events. Again I stress they're only suggestions.