• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MJF

Lt. General
9 Badges
Dec 31, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
From Orleans. Rommel retreating on his original attack path/ 1.12. Reloaded and still can't stop.

Strange-Retreat.png

Upvote 0
I have seen similar retreats by the AI. But for a human steered country that is a first.
Rommel went all the way, then "Disaster" when he hit the occupied stack. No province turned grey., and i couldn't get another unit to "grey out" a province in his retreat path.

This also happens for naval retreats - if you manually unload troops from TPs at sea to attack an enemy province, then want to call off the attack after entering battle, the attacking units then retreat to their capital endlessly. Normally rehosting fixes this, but it'd be nice for it not to happen in the first place!

This also happens for naval retreats - if you manually unload troops from TPs at sea to attack an enemy province, then want to call off the attack after entering battle, the attacking units then retreat to their capital endlessly. Normally rehosting fixes this, but it'd be nice for it not to happen in the first place!
IDK what rehosting is, but reloading the game didn't stop it. I just figured that, since Rommel ended up disgusted with German leadership anyway, this time he gave up early, decided to take his troops on a whirlwind tour of France (guns down, white flag up) and then surrendered to the army in Vichy.

Can't think of what else would compel him to act so...

IDK what rehosting is, but reloading the game didn't stop it. I just figured that, since Rommel ended up disgusted with German leadership anyway, this time he gave up early, decided to take his troops on a whirlwind tour of France (guns down, white flag up) and then surrendered to the army in Vichy.

Can't think of what else would compel him to act so...
Haha.

I've seen the same land combat retreat issue occur for human players, typically the precursor of it is the human player deciding on a long route of attack, then once those units lose a battle on the way there, they then retreat all the way to the target province.

Haha.

I've seen the same land combat retreat issue occur for human players, typically the precursor of it is the human player deciding on a long route of attack, then once those units lose a battle on the way there, they then retreat all the way to the target province.
It just happened again in France. Different 1.12 game. 2 mobile corps, retreated to occupied Calais then destroyed. Happened after I took Lille, with PAR drop, and a stack in there, with the province not changing color.

Leaving the Beta 1.12 & returning to 1.11 for now. It's too frustrating playing on Hard (which has lately become, well, Hard) and Losing these units. The fact that now the USA joins the Allies as soon as Canada itself is attacked is a great fix!.

Last edited:
I have see enemy fleets pull "long retreats" of several provinces. From around Hawaii all the way to Tokyo is a typical example.
I have never witnessed any of my sea or land units retreating more than one province. Yes, I've tried to retreat them all the way from around Hawaii to San Diego... but no luck.

As regards MJF's "Rommel Surrender" I think he got it right. The war was just too "hard". :)

I have see enemy fleets pull "long retreats" of several provinces. From around Hawaii all the way to Tokyo is a typical example.
I have never witnessed any of my sea or land units retreating more than one province. Yes, I've tried to retreat them all the way from around Hawaii to San Diego... but no luck.

As regards MJF's "Rommel Surrender" I think he got it right. The war was just too "hard". :)
I haven't seen this in the newer 1.12's. Of course I kept updating. I wasn't going to "Surrender" that easy!

So, how are you handling the issue of updating ongoing BETA changes while you are installed "out of program files"? IIRC, Pang gave a rather negative PoV on that - referring especially to the fact that now we not discussing v1.11 but many v1.12 ongoing BETA updates.

Personally I don't see any problem and am thinking about also moving to BETA. AFAIK, it is simply:
1) Delete my AoD 1.11 in Documents
2) Re-install Steam
3) Let it do it's thing regarding grabbing the BETA
4) Un-install Steam
5) Copy AoD folder from files/common/ to my Documents
6) Un-install AoD from C:/Programs

It might even fix a couple "weird things" happening with my keyboard when I type on the units. But I like to know what you advise. Thanks. :)

I have been trying to figure out this observation because I often use "long route of attack". I won't say I never lose on the way there, but I never witnessed such an incredible thing as MJF showed. Well, that's not surprising as AoD has much to reveal.

What I see is that MJF put Rommel on a very exploitative long attack path but lost at or before Cherbourg. Then as you explained, his units retreated wrongly - not backwards but continuing on long attack path. If I got this right, I think this is a rather serious issue - not that the retreat path shows like that - but rather that Rommel was NOT eliminated as soon as he retreated into the enemy he was attacking and which caused his retreat. In fact, if retreating thru enemy frontline units didn't create elimination, why was Rommel even eliminated later?

I can imagine this is a rather challenging "bug" to try to fix. Maybe just easier to teach MJF to never lose when doing "long blitzkriegs". :D