• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zamensis

Second Lieutenant
74 Badges
Jun 8, 2011
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
Hi,

When renaming armies, neither 'Shift' keys, nor 'Caps lock' allow me to use 'uppercase' characters like (in my case) ? - . - / - + - ¨ - * - £ - % - °
Game language doesn't matter, same bug.

The 'lowercase' characters of the 'number' keys (1, 2, 3, ...), i.e. characters like & - é - § - ! - à
...aren't correctly mapped.

The letters themselves aren't affected by this bug. I have checked my Windows settings, everything seems fine.

It works fine in 1.08 though, as in all other apps.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I have been able to use shift and cap locks to name units with uppercase characters when playing 1.12, but perhaps it's different as I'm using a UK keyboard.

I found that I can't use some uppercase characters for the multiplayer username in AOD 1.12 as well.
Such as c, a, whatever I use shift or not, they all appear with lowercase.

Find the issue is with the right shift, in AOD 1.12, the right shift doesn't work, need to use the left shift.
Tested with DH 1.05.1, the left/right shift both works.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I use a US English keyboard and this happens to me. I installed a fresh AoD 1.11 and the problem does occur in 1.11 nor in versions 1.10 and 1.08. The 1.11 change log states:
Added more keyboard special key support like "!%/ etc

Unfortunately makes a difference whether you use left shift or right shift.

Unfortunately no, neither work.

In might indeed have something to do with the fact that I use a Belgian keyboard (much like the French one). It worked perfectly before.
Well at least I have the left shift key allowing me to capitalize. The right doesn't.

So when I a game, I like to do Austria_Latest or Germany_L....guess I'll play only countries that begin with letters on the right side of my keyboard so I can use the left shit :D

Another issue with the keyboard is the ability to turn on & off seeing the routes the divisions are moving. The * key use to do this now doesn't work. Neither the Numpad *, Left Shift + *, nor Right + * works.

Is it a bug or the key get reassigned?

If it's a bug, then it's definitely a show stopper for me to use the 1.12 patch. How do you plan your attacks?

Last edited:
Probably i am missunderstanding what you are trying to do. I mean what is not simple about planning attacks?
I use to use the * to toggle between seeing the units routes (in green arrows below) and not seeing them. That key doesn't work anymore and was wondering if it's a bug or just reassigned.
51213819851_846ef965d3_m.jpg

and here's the assignment in the ...\config\buttons.txt (it's the default value....haven't changed anything):
Code:
press = {
    id = "BUTTON_SHOW_ARROWS"
    background = "showArrows.bmp"
    bitmap = "empty.bmp"
    lower = "BUTTON_SHOW_ARROWS_IN_DRO"
    upper = "BUTTON_SHOW_ARROWS_IN_IRO"
    shortcut = *
    }

Last edited:
OK I got it to work by reassigning it a different key (a) instead of the default of *

It errors when loading a scenario when using ! or #. It won't show the arrows with @, *. And I didn't check every key.

Does the application look for the character code or the key codes?
So I'm wondering if the application is looking at the keystroke pressed, not the character. A good example would be the *. it can be obtained three ways:
  1. Right shift key and 8 resulting in an * being placed
  2. Left shift key and 8 resulting in an * being placed
  3. Using a Num Pad and * resulting in an * being placed
All 3 print/place an * but the actual key codes are different. This could also explain the reason why others have issues with their shift keys. Yes, by looking at the character instead of the key code you now have 1 shortcut option for the *. Whereas by looking at he key code you have 3 shortcut options.

This would also explain why I can do a right shift and * that clears the left sidebar and the left shift and * that doesn't do anything. The code appears to be looking at key code, not the actual character. Evaluating the characters (alt 0008 through 0254) should fix this issue people are having.

Last edited:
I would like to keep the keyboard issues current in everyone's minds since it really needs to fixed. The keyboard issues started after release 1.09 and still haven't been fixed through 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12. We should be addressing these in the 1.13 patch.

I know that there was/is talk that it's hardcoded and that's find. But there have been changes to the hardcode as anyone can see with a simple size comparison between the patches, meaning that the executable (hardcode) has been updated/changed.
• 1.108 AODGame.exe file size is 4.21 MB (4,421,632 bytes) - No keyboard issues
• Sorry but I don't have the 1.09 patch - Keyboard issues started
• 1.10 AODGame.exe file size is 3.23 MB (3,393,536 bytes) - Keyboard issues remain
• 1.11 AODGame.exe file size is 3.78 MB (3,964,416 bytes) - Keyboard issues remain
• 1.12 AODGame.exe file size is 3.70 MB (3,888,128 bytes) - Keyboard issues remain

So the executable has reduced in size from the stable keyboard patch 1.08 to the current released patch 1.12 by 533,504 bytes. Which shows that someone/company/whatever is making changes to the executable. So why can't this, and all of the other "these are hardcored and can not be fix" issues not fixable?

Reactions:
  1. Right shift key and 8 resulting in an * being placed
  2. Left shift key and 8 resulting in an * being placed
  3. Using a Num Pad and * resulting in an * being placed
All 3 print/place an * but the actual key codes are different. This could also explain the reason why others have issues with their shift keys. Yes, by looking at the character instead of the key code you now have 1 shortcut option for the *. Whereas by looking at he key code you have 3 shortcut options.

This would also explain why I can do a right shift and * that clears the left sidebar and the left shift and * that doesn't do anything. The code appears to be looking at key code, not the actual character. Evaluating the characters (alt 0008 through 0254) should fix this issue people are having.
Since you made me curious I've done some testing with my German keyboard: I can safely use TAB and the left Shift key to capitalize names in v1.12 while the right Shift key doesn't work any longer. Typing 'uppercase' characters (!, ", §, $, %, &, /, (, ), =, ? and à) the ", % and / don't show up any longer while à is replaced by the Greek µ. Very irritating. >, ;, : and ' are also gone.

* is (was!) the last key in the second row if you hold the SHIFT key. * can no longer be typed, it's entirely gone. Holding that key and the left SHIFT key now brings up the "Search province" pop-up which IIRC was formerly placed on the first key of the upper row.

I would like to keep the keyboard issues current in everyone's minds since it really needs to fixed. The keyboard issues started after release 1.09 and still haven't been fixed through 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12. We should be addressing these in the 1.13 patch.
Something has been severely broken by one of the earlier releases. Fixing that would be ... nice.

Keeping in mind that the original release version of AOD already truncated the usage of the keyboard, namely for exiting the Quit Game and the Main Menu screens, any further development in this direction is not exactly welcome...

I've done some additional testing on a clean v1.12 install without mods:

German QWERTZ keyboard
^ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ß ´
'uppercase' characters
° ! " § $ % & / ( ) = ? `
AOD v1.12
^ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ß µ
'uppercase' characters with Caps Lock
> ! # $ & ' ( ) = ß µ
'uppercase' characters with left Shift
> ! # $ & ' ( ) = ß µ
'uppercase' characters with right Shift
^ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ß µ

German QWERTZ keyboard
ü +
ö ä #
< , . -
'uppercase' characters
Ü *
Ö Ä '
> ; : _
AOD v1.12
ü +
ö ä #
< , . -
ü +
ö ä #
< , . -
ü X
ö ä #
< , . _
ü X
ö ä #
< , . -
(X: search province)

Numeric keypad
/ * - +
AOD v1.12
- +
- +
- X
- X
(X: search province)

Finally I've also checked the Function keys:

German QWERTZ keyboard
F1 - F4 F5 - F8 F9-F11
AOD v1.12
Y b a ` _ ^ ) \ ( Z A
Y b a ` _ ^ ) \ ( Z A
Both Shift keys show unexpected behaviour with a mixture of TAB and Enter plus large deletions of existing text.
(Y: Space, A: TAB)

I'm well aware that there are some differences between the German QWERTZ and the US QWERTY layout, but I would not be surprised if the behaviour of AOD v1.12 is "similarly" irritating. Something has been broken in the code. The observed behaviour of AOD is not WAI.