1.10 broke Vichy's historical borders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironside112

First Lieutenant
64 Badges
Oct 31, 2018
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
mind the colour changes and names, I only noticed this when I was modding, but when Vichy spawns they now lack historical borders due to the new French state added in 1.10. I don't really see the point in it existing to be honest, and if it should, surely just moving the province from one state to the other would be better? It stands out really badly and is really unfortunate considering it does straight up break the historical border.
20201024145854_1.jpg

20201024145921_1.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
This change occurred because in PDX's development of HoI4 both modern borders and alt-history releasables take precedence over borders correct for the time period the game is set in. They did the same thing with the 1939-41 Russo-German border in Poland, changing it in a patch from a near-historical border (the Suwalki area added to East Prussia IRL was missing) to one that matched the modern border instead, as well as with the borders in the Balkans, again changing them in a patch from near-historical to modern ("corrected" in BotB, though they're still not entirely historical).

In this case having a releasable Basque state has taken priority over historical Vichy French borders.

• 12Like
Reactions:
This change occurred because in PDX's development of HoI4 both modern borders and alt-history releasables take precedence over borders correct for the time period the game is set in. They did the same thing with the 1939-41 Russo-German border in Poland, changing it in a patch from a near-historical border (the Suwalki area added to East Prussia IRL was missing) to one that matched the modern border instead, as well as with the borders in the Balkans, again changing them in a patch from near-historical to modern ("corrected" in BotB, though they're still not entirely historical).

In this case having a releasable Basque state has taken priority over historical Vichy French borders.
Unfortunately you're correct, it wouldn't bother me that much, I can mod it out, but it's just putting me off of IM ever so slightly more, y'know? Either way, I'll fix it myself if Paradox wont lol

• 5Like
Reactions:
This was always something that baffled me since the time the change was made from the molotov-ribbentrop border to a more modern one. I always read here and there that they can't please everyone on the matter of borders, but in my humble opinion I don't believe that any kind of borders that aren't contextually correct to the WW2 era should take precedence. I can't speak for other players but I feel the amount of time I spend with borders that break my immersion is too high compared to the time I'm satisfied with the modern borders during or after the war. Which is why I can't understand the logic behind this decision.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I don't get it either.

I think this was one of the territories that Franco wanted to be given to Spain as the conditions of joining the Axis, but that wasn't in the Spanish focus tree and I imagine it still isn't.

This was always something that baffled me since the time the change was made from the molotov-ribbentrop border to a more modern one. I always read here and there that they can't please everyone on the matter of borders, but in my humble opinion I don't believe that any kind of borders that aren't contextually correct to the WW2 era should take precedence. I can't speak for other players but I feel the amount of time I spend with borders that break my immersion is too high compared to the time I'm satisfied with the modern borders during or after the war. Which is why I can't understand the logic behind this decision.
Personally I'm in a similar boat, era-accurate borders (so as far as I'm concerned, 1936-1948) should be the no. 1 priority in making states, to a degree. I've recently made a mod to clean-up Yugoslavia's borders for example, and while they say how they dont want tiny one-province states, imo it's something that needs to be addressed when you make a mod for this era - Memel, Gibraltar and Hong Kong are all one province states, and they are in my eyes as important as some micro states that should've been added to fix the region, and for France, re-creating Vichy's borders should be the absolute priority, not the Basque being releaseable lmao

• 6Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately you're correct, it wouldn't bother me that much, I can mod it out, but it's just putting me off of IM ever so slightly more, y'know? Either way, I'll fix it myself if Paradox wont lol

Could you possibly leave a link to the workshop file, if you gonna fix the border?

Paradox: "no, we can't add historical occupation of Slovenia because we don't want small states".

Also Paradox: "hey let's add a small state in France nobody asked for".

That state is too big for a Basque state. Only the province in the south would be Basque.

• 6Like
Reactions:
That state is too big for a Basque state. Only the province in the south would be Basque.

Wrong.

32827de6b881641047536e0b0211812a.gif

Heck, French Basque Country is even bigger than it is in-game. Hope I didn't just give PDX any ideas.

Technically you could split it into two small states, one with 2 and another with 2-4 provinces, and have both French Basque Country and historical Vichy French borders represented, but I don't know how elegant a solution that would be. Personally I'd just revert the state to pre-1.10 and be done with it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hope I didn't just give PDX any ideas.
Well, if there is one, maybe using the Vichy border to split the French Basque into two

Wrong.

View attachment 645853

Heck, French Basque Country is even bigger than it is in-game. Hope I didn't just give PDX any ideas.

Technically you could split it into two small states, one with 2 and another with 2-4 provinces, and have both French Basque Country and historical Vichy French borders represented, but I don't know how elegant a solution that would be. Personally I'd just revert the state to pre-1.10 and be done with it.
How can it be bigger? Just look at the maps. The problem is that Bayonne is incorrectly placed in the game, and as the Basque state has to include Bayonne, it becomes larger than it should be.

Look at the Vichy map, it's clear it doesn't touch the French Basque Country: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/French_State_1942.svg

Reactions:
Yeah, Slovenia is too small, but Herzegovina and Kosovo which are even smaller were added.

They have for a good while now spent a considerable amount of content creation resources adding all modern countries into the game, even when essentially none of them (the new releasables) make any sense in a WW2 context (and often were not even conceived of as possible political entities as such until decades after the war).

I think what they're doing here is an attempt at catering to every nationality in the world today, making sure everyone can "make their country a superpower", or at the very least not feel "left out" because their modern-day nation isn't playable. But I do believe these kinds of development decisions come at the expense of what the Hearts of Iron series was originally meant to be about: WW2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
How can it be bigger? Just look at the maps. The problem is that Bayonne is incorrectly placed in the game, and as the Basque state has to include Bayonne, it becomes larger than it should be.

Look at the Vichy map, it's clear it doesn't touch the French Basque Country: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/French_State_1942.svg

Not sure why you're linking me a map of Vichy France; I know what the historical borders look like. Perhaps you've misunderstood something, so I'll reiterate:

The new state they added is clearly meant to represent French Basque Country, hence the Basque core and the protrusion into the Vichy borders. Ironically the protrusion should actually be larger, as IRL the Basque territory is even greater than what the single-province protrusion into Vichy territory covers. Provided they gave the area a few more provinces to better reflect this fact, then it may be feasible to split the states into two and restore historical Vichy borders that way.

As for Bayonne, that falls into the French Basque territory as it does in-game.

Reactions:

You got the point here. I'll never understand this priority of modern borders over the historical ones.

... I'll never understand this priority of modern borders over the historical ones.

Based on what @Fulmen says, which makes a lot of sense, it is a marketing decision.

• 4Like
Reactions:
For whatever reason it was done, the change does make it a lot easier for Germany to blitz into Spain after taking the Vichy option.

Not sure why you're linking me a map of Vichy France; I know what the historical borders look like. Perhaps you've misunderstood something, so I'll reiterate:

The new state they added is clearly meant to represent French Basque Country, hence the Basque core and the protrusion into the Vichy borders. Ironically the protrusion should actually be larger, as IRL the Basque territory is even greater than what the single-province protrusion into Vichy territory covers. Provided they gave the area a few more provinces to better reflect this fact, then it may be feasible to split the states into two and restore historical Vichy borders that way.

As for Bayonne, that falls into the French Basque territory as it does in-game.
I don't know which maps you are looking at, so I'll repeat: the French Basque Country doesn't get in the territory of Vichy France. French Basque Country is so small it's not even a department itself. In HoI it's very oversized.

Status
Not open for further replies.