• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Dai Viet
GC, V 1.05
Hard, Aggressive
Missions off
VP's on

Notes:
- try to unite Greater Asian Empire
- do not declare war without CB
- no file editing/cheat codes
- gain colonies/TP in the Americas, Australia, India and Siberia

This is not only my first attempt at an Asian power, but my first AAR as well so please bear with me. Also, my first GC playing hard/aggressive so we'll see how that goes too.

Introduction:

After twenty years of Chinese domination, the people of Dai Viet were ready to unburden themselves from their overlord's suppressive yolk. They found leadership in a fierce warrior, a wealthy landowner by the name of Le Loi. Under his command, they were able to spring forth on the world like a tiger now able to rise to their promised greatness.

Though they were a strong Buddhist society, Le Loi did learn from the Chinese the teachings of Confucius for there was order and power in the message that he taught. However, he did not understand how the Chinese emperor could claim himself ruler of anyone for he could not keep his own people happy and unrebellious. Le Loi thought of himself as the true Son of Heaven and rightful emperor of all the Chinese people. Only in this way could he fulfill his duty, to bring true peace throughout the land, for this was the teaching of Confucius. In this peace he would be able to make this land great so that all may share in such plentiful bounty and his people would be delivered from suffering.

This was no longer to be the kingdom of Annam for they would stand in no one's shadow now. Like a phoenix risen from the ashes, this would be the Great Kingdom of Dai Co Viet.

The Beginning:

The area of Dai Viet is bordered by their overlord China (we are their vassals) to the north, Vientiane to the west and Cambodia and Champa to the southwest and southeast respectively. These last provinces, those that call themselves Champa are traditional lands of Dai Co Viet.

Le Loi is our leader attempting to free us from our vassal state. He is strong militarily, but average in administration and diplomacy. We begin with a stability of -3, no doubt because of the oppressive nature of the Chinese. Le Loi commands 25,000 troops in the capital of Hanoi. They are joined by some 10,000 Chinese troops acting as an occupation force.

Domestically, Dai Viet is a semi-aristocratic society of feudal lords and serfs (Arist. 7, Serf. 7). They are equally addept at both land and sea (Land 5), as well as offensive and defensive battle (Offense 5) but choose quantity over quality in their forces (Quality 2). They are a decentralized people, but what leadership they have is rather narrowminded (Centr. 2, Innov. 3). They have no trade to speak of, but favor mercantilistic policies with other kingdoms (Merc. 9).

Further, they are not wealthy (150 ducats in the till) but their provinces do provide goods that would surely fetch a great price if they could establish a strong trade market for them. This is the position Le Loi finds himself in the year 1419.

With Tet less than a month away, Le Loi burns incense to remember those that have passed and to honor his ancestor's spirit. He asks for guidance in the months ahead so he might be victorious and honorable against the Chinese and gain his people's freedom.

Rebel Leader and later King

Le Loi

Last edited:
Ahhh, interesting. A mainland Vietnamese nation to compare and contrast with my own saga of Brunei. It'll be fascinating to see whether the two histories end up running in parallel or diverge significantly... my guess is on the latter. Be nice to Brunei when you make contact, they're a peaceful bunch... at the start of the game ;)

Nice stylistic start as well... don't forget those screenshots now...

I always shudder when I begin a country that starts with -3 stability. "I wonder," I say to myself, "whether February 1st will give me a stab increase or a civil war. :eek"

I'll be interested in reading this one since I haven't seen a full Dai Viet AAR (only one aborted one that I recall) and frequently find them to be quite the powerhouse when I work my way over their as a European or Middle Eastern country.

I've been meaning to give one of those smaller countries a try. I'm thinking that you try to keep China friendly and off your back for as long as you can while you gobble up some of your more bite-sized neighbours first...growing in size and power until you can give the large northern threat a decent fight. It'll be interesting to see how you handly it.

Thanks guys. I was not too excited when I realized that I started with -3 stab. either, and it has been kinda rough sailing since, though not too bad. I should have a few years up later today (would have more but a storm killed my last two years when the power went out last night - damn).

I may need some help with screenies when the time comes as I have never done that before and am not incredibly computer savvy.

Update later.

I am very interested reading this AAR... in my Scottish AAR, I only scrapped with 3 ROTW nations until near the end of it... China, Mali and of course the above mentioned Dai Viet... so I would like to see the human perspective on it.

M

War of Vietnamese Independence

Dai Viet in 1419

In this year, Le Loi and his advisors met in the Grand Hall in Hanoi to discuss what should be done about their occupying force. The Chinese General Tchen was a vengeful governor and not well liked by even his own men, much less the villagers of Hanoi that had to feed and house his troops. On January 5th, Le Loi received word that the Emperor Yongle would agree to remove his occupying force in exchange for peace in the region. Le Loi had no intentions of following through with such a promise. He would meditate on this dilemma and decide the true path was to freedom and not subjugation, therefore any act that was not in favor of freedom was the wrong path.

Le Loi decided that his troops need to learn more modern ways if they were to fight the strong forces of the Chinese Emperor. (Quality Dom. Slider moved +1 away from Quantity). Further, even though his advisors told him that he could not possibly support more than 13,000 men at arms, he was determined to field a strong enough army that there would be no doubt at the victory that was to be his on the battlefield. He ordered 4K inf. recruited in the neighboring province of Lao Cai, to be known as the Lao Cai Regiment commanded by Ho. Further, to protect the area's southern border, he ordered 6K inf. recruited in Da Nang.

On Feb. 1, 1419, stability increased (to –2) throughout the land as the peasants rejoiced at the last troops of Tchen exiting from the city of Hanoi. As the months went by, Le Loi waited for news that his new recruits would be ready when he chose to strike at the Chinese. He and his advisors decided to draw up a demand for independence and send this to the Emperor Yongle. Regardless of whether the Emperor relented, Le Loi would strike before there was a chance for a reoccupation.

On May 7, 1419, Le Loi received word that the Emperor would not even receive the petition and had taken horse to personally lead an army to reoccupy the area. Le Loi understood the reasoning behind Yongle’s obtuseness. He, himself, would probably react the same way. How else does one maintain power if they do not exert it when necessary? And Yongle was a great Emperor. He had started construction on a great city, Le Loi was told, that was forbidden to all but the Emperor, his consorts and his eunuchs. And further, Le Loi was aware that Yongle had taken power by murdering his own nephew. Surely not a man to be trifled with. But neither was Le Loi and he was to prove this to his people.

The Vietnamese Rebellion began in May of 1419 and would last until March of 1420, a full two months after spring planting was to begin. Excitement filled the air as Le Loi’s forces marched through the city that May. An additional 5,000 men and 5,000 horsemen gathered around the rebel leader and declared their undying loyalty to him. He was told that all over the area, people were taking arms to see to their freedom, spurred on by the fantastic stories of courage they had heard about Le Loi (another 5K men given in Da Nang).

A formal declaration of war was sent out immediately after hearing of the Emperor’s response. Relations were destroyed (-200), vassalage was broken and a new chapter in history was begun. However, there were some peasants that would be apprehensive about taking on the great Chinese leader (stability dropped by 2 to –3 for some reason though it did not say it was part of the event), but Le Loi would prove to them how misplaced their fears would be.

Le Loi ordered his Hanoi regiment to the Chinese province of Guangxi, while also sending Ho to Wenshan as it was not protected by a fortress. At the end of May, Le Loi engaged Chinese forces in Guangxi. The battle would last close to a week until the beginning of June when Le Loi was victorious. He had only fought against 2,100 men, but his forces were apparently weaker than his foes, winning only through numerical superiority. With victory in hand however, Le Loi was further pleased to learn that Ho’s Lao Cai regiment had taken control of Wenshan.

(OOC – this is rather embarrassing really – at this point, I realized that it may not be a good idea to have my only leader involved in long sieges for fear of his death, so I was forced to withdraw back to Hanoi in order to restructure my Dai Viet Army properly).

Le Loi was not a greedy man, therefore he had no intentions of trying to take land that did not belong to his people. He commanded his army to withdraw back to Hanoi in the hopes that the Chinese would see how futile their fight was and sue for peace. In July, stability increased as the people learned of the great victory of Le Loi (stability at –2). Le Loi ordered Ho to guard Wenshan in the event Chinese troops tried to take back the unfortressed land. Le Loi himself took his cavalry army to Yunnan, also unprotected while he sent the Hanoi regiment back to Guangxi to begin a siege under the direction of Lim.

At the end of the month, Le Loi took control of Yunnan (stopping constr. of troops there). He heard rumors that the Chinese were trying to recruit fresh troops across the Pearl River in Guizhou and sent Ho’s forces to destroy them. In August, 9,000 Chinese forces attacked the Hanoi regiment in Guangxi and were joined a few days later by an additional 9K men, however, the Chinese were to lose in only three further days of fighting as these were mostly recruits. In the same month, Ho reached Guizhou destroying all recruitment as ordered, and on the same day Le Loi learned that Chinese forces had liberated Wenshan. Le Loi rode his men hard to reach the province in less than two weeks. As word reached Le Loi’s people of the great victory in Guangxi, stability increased again (now back to –1).

By the 16th of Sept., Le Loi had defeated the 1,600 men guarding Wenshan destroying their army and retaking the province. However, Ho was attacked by 2,500 cavalry, soon joined by 11K infantry, thus forcing him to retreat back across the Pearl to Lao Cai. In the same month, 4K men in Guangxi attack Lim’s Hanoi regiment. Even with superior numbers (3:1), Lim was unable to defeat the Chinese. Though destroying most of the enemy, he was forced to retreat back to Hanoi on the 28th of Sept. Le Loi ordered recruitment of 5K more men in Hanoi to meet with Lim upon his return as his army had been cut in half, down to 12K total.

In October, Loi rode to meet the defeated army in Lao Cai. He would merge and wait for them to attack across the river. On the 15th, the Emperor Yongle rode into Hanoi with 3K men by his side. The peasants were truly frightened as their only hope was the 12K army just returning from defeat in Guangxi. Surely the odds were against them now. When Lim arrived in the city, his men were still weak from their march, but when faced with further defeat at the hands of the emperor himself, Lim’s men refused to bow and in 5 days were able to defeat the Emperor and send him scampering back to Guangxi. There was much rejoicing and celebrating as Lim marched his men in pursuit of the defeated Emperor.

Near the end of the year, Le Loi was sure that the Chinese would attempt another liberation of Wenshan and took his and Ho’s combined forces there to meet the 19K Chinese troops that had amassed in Guizhou and were marching across the river. Lim reached Guangxi on Nov. 21st and was able to inflict further defeat upon the Emperor in 10 days of fighting. With victory in hand, Lim settled down for a siege of Guangxi whilst the peasants back home rejoiced at the further exploits of their army (stability increased to 0).

Le Loi reached Wenshan by early December and was greeted by an emissary from the Emperor. Yongle was offering 62 ducats for peace. Le Loi thought about this offer for a while but decided that this was not tribute enough for his people who had been made to suffer at the hands of the Chinese for the last 20 years. He refused, sending the emissary back with a letter of apology out of respect.

Le Loi was not aware of the 30K army amassed in a neighboring province that he had never been able to infiltrate with court spies. This army marched on Wenshan 3 days later meeting Le Loi’s forces of 12K. In five days of fighting the Battle of Wenshan, hardly a man was lost, but defeat was inflicted once again upon the Chinese and Le Loi sent his own peace offering. He would accept 100 ducats and the province of Yunnan. This offer was refused.

Jan. 1, 1420
Census Taxes: 16.8 ducats for the year
We are promoted to Baron (though this means nothing in Vietnamese hierarchy).

Le Loi was told that his country was losing money rapidly while they are researching stability increases, and he ordered that only 1.1 ducat a month should be lost. By the 28th, Le Loi was aware of an army of 61K gathering across the Pearl River. He decided to gather the bulk of his army in Wenshan to prepare for an attack there. In Feb., Le Loi himself headed to Yunnan to head off a force he was told was heading there to liberate that province. By March, Le Loi’s forces would not make it in time as Yunnan fell back into Chinese hands.

On the 23rd of March, an emissary from Yongle rode into camp asking to see Le Loi. He brought with him an offer of peace in the amount of 275 ducats. Le Loi immediately agreed and his people rejoiced at their victory over the mighty Chinese. Le Loi would meditate for three days before returning his army to Lao Cai.

On April 1, 1420, stability was increased again (to +1) as the peasants poured into the towns in celebration, hoping to see their leader as he returned home in triumph. The Hanoi regiment under Lim was to return to Hanoi. Le Loi merged his forces with an additional 4K infantry and began a march through the countryside. He began a tour to see all corners of his new land, eventually to end up in the ancient city of Hue, part of the Da Nang province.

On his journey, Le Loi sent word back to Hanoi to pour more money back into stability investment as he saw the destruction of the land that the Chinese had wrought. He sent a diplomat to the neighboring kingdom of Vientiane with a state gift (rel. now at +104).

Near the end of the month, a Chinese emissary arrived with the formal treaty and news that China had moved their capital from Nanjing to Beijing upon completion of what is now called The Forbidden City. Perhaps, he thought, this was a lessoning of interest south of the Yang Tse River. Le Loi signed the treaty creating the Foundation of the Empire of Dai Viet, and forcing the Chinese Emperor to recognize Le Loi as the rightful sovereign ruler of his people. The emissary was quite out of sorts to learn, however, that Le Loi would be making no journey to Beijing to pay tribute to the Emperor. Le Loi bowed to no one but his maker. The emissary was sent back, instead, with another letter of apology for the guerilla warfare needed during the war (rel. w/ China +100 – event effect). His was the way of peace and harmony, not bloodshed and suppression. Soon the Chinese people would see this, even if their Emperor could not.

Le Loi signed many government documents in the days ahead. First was the Army Reform Statuettes (land invest. +200, land dom. pol. +1). Then came the internal government reform so long promised. Le Loi set up an office of domestic affairs so that he and his advisors would be more readily able to develop and implement such policies as would make his land great for all generations. (Cent. +1, Infr. Invest. +200). However, with all of the new changes, the people of Dai Viet grew concerned (stab. Drops 2 pts., now at –1) not knowing what these changes might bring. Le Loi would have to continue to gain his peoples trust and devotion, and he would succeed.

On June 2nd, 1420, Le Loi marched triumphantly into Hue surrounded by throngs of celebrating subjects eager to see their new King. The monks of the city offered a crowning ceremony so that legitimacy might be restored to the crown of Dai Viet. Le Loi, even though a very spiritual man, refused. He instead declared himself King that needed no crown. He only needed his people’s respect and devotion. And to gain this, he and his advisors settled down to plan the next step in the growth of the empire.

Coming soon...the reintegration of Champa...

Last edited:
I've dabbled in playing Dai Viet, but could never get that into it. Despite that, due to the fact that all the nations are Bhuddist (and stab doesn't increase with different cultures, just religion) the possiblities become very interesting...

Over the river Kwai, coz!

The Reintegration of Champa:

June 28, 1420
A messenger arrived bringing word from the Kingdom of Vientiane. They wished to join their only daughter’s hand with that of Le Loi’s son (though both were still very young). Le Loi immediately jumped at the chance. Perhaps this could mean an inheritance in the future bringing the lands of Vientiane under Dia Viet’s control. If anything, it provided an amount of influence within the Vientiane court (rel. +119).

As the calendar changed to July, the people felt more secure with Le Loi’s reforms and stability increased (to 0). In August, however; Le Loi was irritated to find out that Vientiane had entered a royal marriage with Cambodia as well. This was obviously the marriage of some lesser landowner of Vientiane, but this would mean that there might be a battle over influence in the Vientiane court, one that Le Loi would just as soon not see come about as he had no desire to go to war with Cambodia.

Before the week was out, Le Loi received word that a country called Korea had established something called Chiphyonjon. All of his advisors were not sure what this meant, but it sounded very learned and perhaps it was something that Le Loi should research as well. Perhaps his own people could find growth through structured learning. In Sept., Korea and China signed a military alliance with one another, not sitting well with Le Loi as he was afraid that China might try to rally all of her neighbors together and then defeat Le Loi and his people.

As the year drew on towards the final months, stability was increased again (to +1) as the grand tales of Le Loi’s exploits traveled the land, inspiring his people.

January 1, 1421
Census Taxes: 28.8 ducats for the year.

Stability increased again (to +2). Le Loi’s spies informed him that a country called Malacca was at war with another country called Atjeh, located not far over the mountains to the west. There was a trade center of note near there somewhere, no doubt the object of the Atjeh peoples. Le Loi’s more immediate concern were the rebellious provinces of Champa, once part of a great culture shared with Dai Viet, but now under the influence of a succession of strong, but misguided kings. It had always been difficult to keep the two parts of the country together, as the south had been influenced more by the Hindus, an ancient religion that came from the far west. This spiritual difference had to be overcome in order to create peace and tranquility in Le Loi’s empire.

He began by recruiting more men in Tanh Noah in order to keep the build up from Champa spies. 4,000 inf. and 3000 cav. were sought by the king to add to his current Dai Viet Army. In Feb., Le Loi learned that a merchant had appeared at court, eager to set out for one of the major markets in the world. Le Loi would have loved to do just that if he only knew how. He knew that research was ongoing and many spies were circulating throughout the known royal houses, trying to find secrets that would allow his country to establish a thriving trade but so far, none was forthcoming. His merchant was told to wait at court and enjoy the Tet festivities. He would be notified when the time was right.

On Feb. 16th, Le Loi was told that a small band of men were threatening peace in the country of Taungu, arguing for peasant rights. Le Loi had spent much time in this area and was familiar with the dissident group creating such a nuisance. He knew their leader and sent notice that, although Le Loi would provide no direct assistance with troops, he would not help the Taungu king in suppressing the unrest. Further, he sent money with the messenger to help with food and clothing for the rag tag group. This would please the King of Taungu even less (Support Dissidents – Rel. w/ Taungu –25, -25 ducats.)

On April 1, 1421 stability increased (to +3 finally!) and Le Loi decided to pour all research funds into trade technology. By July, the Tanh Noah regiment was ready to join with Le Loi and was moved to Da Nang. Le Loi structured the Dai Viet army into two parts: all of his cavalry under himself and all of his infantry under the worthy commander Lee. Le Loi spent three nights meditating on his next move and as the 10th approached, he informed his army of his plan. They would completely conquer Champa, taking Da Lat as part of Dai Viet and vassalizing the Champian king in Saigon until such time as it was appropriate to annex the kingdom directly.

On July 10, 1421, using a valid CB recognized by all other kingdoms, Le Loi declared war on Champa. They would both be forced to fight alone as neither side had any allies. 11K cavalry under Le Loi marched into Da Lat to face the 6K army stationed there. The battle began on July 22nd and was over in five days. With victory under his belt, Le Loi advanced on Saigon in the Mekong Delta while Lee followed into Da Lat to lay siege to the city, begun Aug. 15th, 1421.

Champa immediately demanded 25 ducats. Le Loi refused.

On Aug. 17th, Le Loi reached Saigon, and unopposed, besieged the city. In Sept., Le Loi requested an additional 5K in reinforcements for the Da Nang army in Da Lat. In Oct., Lee defeated a recruit army in Da Lat and continued with the siege. In Nov., Le Loi faced the same thing in Saigon, again ending in defeat for the Champian recruits. On Dec. 1st, Le Loi was imformed that his land technology has reached lvl. 1 in research so his armies would fight better. He ordered war taxes raised as the treasury was starting to drain again. (Stability drops to +2).

January 1, 1422
Census Taxes: 76.8 ducats this year

In Feb., Champa demanded 41 ducats for peace. Again the offer was refused. The recruits in Da Nang marched to meet Lee in Da Lat. In March, stability increased (to +3 again).

By March 20th, Le Loi had noticed a change in the siege. He was finally starting to see signs that the city may fall as a fire broke out behind the city walls.

In May, Cambodia offered to create an alliance with Dai Viet, but Le Loi did not want to be in someone else’s alliance. If he were to ally with another country, it would be in an alliance he would create, so he refused the Cambodian offer. In June, Champa demanded 25 ducats for peace again. Again they were refused. At the end of that month, Le Loi learned disturbing news. Vientiane joined a military alliance with Taungu. Le Loi had hoped to draw Vientiane under the Dai Viet banner but this would have to wait now.

In August, Le Loi was seeing no improvement in his sieges. He thought perhaps that an alliance partner might be of some help so he sent an emissary to Cambodia to offer the same alliance that they had offered not 3 months before. They refused, still angry at the cold shoulder received upon their invitation to Dai Viet. So Le Loi ordered another 5K recruited in Da Nang.

By Sept., however, the walls were finally breached by Le Loi in Saigon. Champa demanded 58 ducats and were refused once again. In Oct., Lee was successful in breaching the walls in Da Lat.

January 1, 1423
Census Taxes: 33.6 ducats this year
War Taxes raised, stability drops (+2)

After raising further taxes, Le Loi was met by yet another messenger from Champa, this time demanding 50 ducats for peace. Le Loi did not send this messenger home but locked him up until the end of the war. He was tired of seeing the Champa messengers over and over again and was growing weary of the sieges that were taking so long. If they took much longer, he contemplated other means to bring the Champian king to the peace table, but he was not an evil man and therefore simply kept the envoy in case he needed him, making no such decision yet.

By March, Le Loi was finally successful, with Saigon falling on the 17th. Champa demanded 25 ducats for peace and this envoy was locked up as well. In April, stability was increased (+3) as the peasants at home learned of the successful siege in Saigon. Finally on May 15th of 1423, the siege in Da Lat was successful and the city fell. Immediately, envoys poured into the King’s camp with messages from the Champian King. This time he offered 104 ducats and the city of Da Lat. Le Loi pondered this offer for a while. He wanted the town and the money, but he also wanted Champa as a vassal, so he refused. He sent back a messenger offering instead to take Da Lat, 525 ducats and vassalage of Champa.

On the 17th of May, the King of Champa entered Saigon from his exile and bowed before Le Loi, paying tribute of 104 ducats, as that was all that he had, and surrendering the city of Da Lat. Le Loi sent word to all the people of Champa and Dai Viet that from now on they were really one kingdom with one King. Le Loi deployed 3k infantry back to Lao Cai to fortify the border with China, left 10K in Da Lat as a garrison and marched triumphantly back to Hue.

When he returned to the city, he held a ceremony, making sure to allow the monks their part this time. In a speech given to the town elders, he declared that from that point on, he would be known to other kingdoms as Le Thai To, founder of the later Le Dynasty. His people would forever remember him as Le Loi the Great and Triumphant, King of Earth and Son of Heaven.

OOC – OK, I would have a bit more here, but a power outage killed the next two years – don’t worry, I’ll replay them (hrmph – might as well have been a CTD!). Probably get to it this weekend if not tonight. Some side notes – I’ve gained 5BB so far, but am 4th in VP’s already because of peace resolutions. But it’s early. We’ll see how it goes.

Just a note on those sieges – thought it might be interesting to show the dates like this:
Siege of Da Lat: Aug.15, 1421 – May 15, 1423 (commanded by Lee)
Siege of Mekong/Saigon: Aug.17, 1421 – March 17, 1423 (commanded by Le Loi)

Sucks to start with no land tech, that’s all I can say!

As for screenshots, I have edited the posts, adding a picture of Le Loi in the Introduction section, a starting political map of 1419 before the war with China and a screenshot of after the Champa War below. Let me know if anyone has problems viewing them. This is my first time and it's taking me a little bit to get the hang of these little badboys. They are important though, therefore all effort is being put into delivering. :D

Dai Viet after the Champa War - 1423

Last edited:
Le Loi's Peace: 1423-1443

Part I: Political Developments through 1441

With the war in Champa over, the King's popularity was at an all time high. Cambodia renewed the invitation into a military alliance and Le Loi accepted, needing an ally in the event China took any hostile action against his kingdom. Le Loi continued with diplomatic overtures, sending a personal gift to the King of Cambodia (rel. to +63) and a letter to the King of Vientiane (rel. to +127) suggesting they might switch alliances from Taungu to the newly formed Cambodian/Dai Viet Pact.

After June of 1423, Le Loi spent much time reforming his government. He set up court in Hue in order to shift focus away from Chinese influence in the north and towards the smaller kingdoms of Southeast Asia. As his reforms took on grander scope, Le Loi was forced to divide his circle of advisors into different ministries. He found a very capable man in Cheng Lee. A former commander who had fought so valiantly in Da Lat, Cheng Lee was to take charge of the economic recovery of the kingdom, urging strong trade and tax reforms that would provide more profit for the King and his people. The economic growth that these policies produced will be discussed in the following chapter as the details are too far reaching to overview here.

There was no less change in the diplomatic practices of the kingdom. Le Loi was impressed with intelligence of a young Muslim diplomat, Tung Ti. He was of Taungun origin, which was to play an important role in the events of the next several years, but his religion was hoped to be an asset. Le Loi had been informed that the Chinese were brilliantly establishing trade and diplomatic contact with several kingdoms far to the west through a Muslim sailor named Cheng He. Perhaps Le Loi might have some of this same good fortune.

As trade and diplomacy required men of strong mind and character to represent Dai Viet, Le Loi found it hard to find men capable of filling these positions. Trade required much more of the manpower available to Le Loi as this was his first priority in the coming years, therefore; Le Loi appointed Tung Ti to the post of Foreign Minister. His position required travel to the various kingdoms surrounding Dai Viet and he was to be the representative of the King to all foriegn emissaries coming to pay tribute. Tung Ti had the authority to structure marriages and alliances without the King's word, though all treaties were subject to approval before signing. With such power, Tung Ti would prove to be both shrewdly effective and deliberately conniving.

His first diplomatic mission was to deliver a letter to the Emperor of China. As the letter did not include homage to the Emperor, it was coolly received by his eunuchs (rel. from -87 to -84). However, Tung Ti was able to glean that the Chinese court had warm respect for Le Loi and that his reputation was not slightly tarnished as expected. In August of 1423, before leaving Beijing, Tung Ti was informed of the Emperor's death. Emperor Yongle had passed as his court party was returning to Beijing. His son Hongxi rose to the throne. Tung Ti offered warm wishes for a healthy reign and then began his long return trip home.

As the new year of 1424 approached, there were stories of Muslim missionaries spreading their religion in the kingdoms west of Vientiane. As the Muslim religion spread, Hindu and Buddhist alike saw unrest in their realms from small bands of rebels. By Feb. of that year, it was learned that Taungu had been plagued by continued resistance of such rebels. These rebels had been mostly peasants until recently. Then the uprisings began to take on more religious zealotry, threatening peace within and around their small mountain kingdom.

Unknown to the King, Tung Ti had been secretly sending these rebels small monetary gifts from the royal treasury in order to fund their revolt. This had been forbidden by Le Loi at the start of 1424 as he grew more aware of the religious fervor spilling over into civil unrest. When Tung Ti's machinations were discovered, the King was forced to find another man capable of handling such strong diplomatic duties. The ensuing months saw much disorder in court as men struggled to gain the King's favor.

(OOC - the above has been part of scandal at court event that gave me -50 rel. w/ Taungu and -3 diplomatic rating for the next 4 mths., though there was also a religious conversion in Chin.)

Soon, one man came to the front in the person of Sung Chou. He would become legendary in the history of the kingdom for his loyalty to the King and his ability in diplomatic circles. Sung Chou had been a Cantonese scholar who had fallen from favor in the court of Yongle. Offering his services to Le Loi after the war with China, Sung Chou rose in importance to the King as his loyalty was proven. By 1425, as Tung Ti fell from grace, Sung Chou slyly moved into his place.

Appointed Foreign Minister in June of 1425, his first mission was to attempt reconciliation with Champa. He had been appointed too late to send an emissary to China congratulating them on the rise to power of Xuande, the son of Hongxi. Sung Chou traveled to Saigon with a letter from the King. His reception by the King of Champa was cordial but strained (rel. from -134 to -132) as there was still much animosity between rulers. Still, his return to Hue was a glorious time as Le Loi showered him with praise and even invited Sung Chou to meditate with him, something no other had done up until then. Perhaps this had more to do with the fate of the former minister Tung Ti, however, as it was learned that he had traveled to Taungu and taken up arms with the rebels there, hoping to restore a Muslim kingdom with himself as it's ruler. Le Loi had been incensed to learn of such treachery and vowed that just rewards would be given to the man that opposed him.

Sung Chou would go on to acquire more and more influence within the royal court. In 1426 he arranged a royal marriage with Cambodia (rel. +86) and continuing formal discussions with Champa, he delivered a personal gift to their King in 1428 (imp. rel. to -144). However, 1427 would prove to be a bad year for Sung Chou. Many other ministers were jealous of his relationship with the King. Another scandal in the court erupted in October of that year when it was learned that another young courtier was a spy from the Taungun King Sawlutthinkaya. (Scandal event again, rel. w/ Taungu -25.)

In 1429, Sung Chou was sent to Cambodia twice, once in January, delivering a state gift (rel. to +101) and again in October with a letter for their King (rel. to +108). By 1430, his reputation had grown and he was able to influence the peace negotiations between Ayutthaya and Malacca, in which the former was forced to pay 50 ducats in indemnities. It was hoped that Sung Chou's influence in favor of Malacca would help the trade undertaken there (discussed below).

In February of 1430, as Sung Chou was traveling from the peace negotiations to China on another diplomatic mission, he was kidnapped by Muslims taking refuge in Myanmar. The King of Myanmar was forced to attack the rebels and rescue Sung Chou in an attempt to keep favor with Le Loi, but it turned out to be a costly attempt and thus soured relations anyway (Scandal at Court event again, Dip rating -3 for 4 mths, rel. w/ Myanmar -50). In July, Sung Chou was released and allowed to continue on his journey to China arriving the following month with a letter from Le Loi (rel. slightly altered). He was to learn that Manchu had joined the alliance with China and Korea. Not sure how to break the news to Le Loi, he lingered in Beijing for a few months. By late December, Sung Chou was informed that the alliance had expired and China had declared war upon Manchu. He was intrigued to learn that the declaration of war had come the very day the alliance expired. He journeyed home quickly to offer this information to Le Loi.

For the next several years, Sung Chou would concentrate on improving relations with Dai Viet's two immediate neighbors, first with Cambodia and as the favor shifted north, to Vientiane. Each year, he would undertake a trip to one of these kingdoms delivering letters and gifts from Le Loi. By 1432, Vientiane had entered the alliance between Cambodia and Dai Viet. Recent gifts had not improved relations with Cambodia thus attention was shifted to Vientiane. By the next year, the alliance would run out and Sung Chou was sent to Vientiane only, offering a renewal, which was accepted. Trips in the next three years would prepare for an offer of vassalization which was sent in December of 1436. The offer was declined (taking rel. from +200 to +170). Though Le Loi desperately wanted to include Vientiane under his sphere of influence, it was a dream not realized in his lifetime.

Another development in the 1430's was China's renewed war effort against her neighbors. Sung Chou had been successful in showing enough respect to China to keep her from hostile action in Dai Viet, but the Chinese Emperor would go to war with Chagatai Khanate in 1432, Arakan and Bengal in 1435 and Taungu in 1441 as part of the Great Taungun War. From the Manchu's, China gained land in the north, but these provinces did not show up on any Dai Vietian maps. In the other wars, China was not so profitable, paying indemnities to the Khanate and involved in long drawn out wars due to commitments to alliance partners (mainly Myanmar) against other foes.

However, China was not the only belligerent power of this decade. The little island kingdom Atjeh would fight with Malacca twice and even declare war upon Champa in 1433, signing a white peace 3 years later. As well, Korea would find itself embroiled in battle, thanks to their alliance with China. Losing land to Manchu after the Manchu-Chinese War, Korea also lost influence in the region, replaced by a strong Manchu King, Fanca. Nippon suffered a series of civil strife involving something referred to as the Eikyo Wars and the assassination of a Shogun.

With events at home over the next several years, Sung Chou would grow in importance to the court as he assumed even greater powers. In 1433, with Le Loi's health starting to fail, it was decided that the young prince, Le Thai, should make his public debut. Le Loi chose to make Le Thai the Prince Regent, sharing in power and representing the monarchy to the people. Le Loi would remain head of the Army, though there were no wars to fight in these years. He would shy away from any public appearances as he was often in poor temperament and many times too sick to rise from bed. Yet one could still see him on good days, parading around his army in full battle dress. There were some that thought Le Loi longed for war and the glories that came with it, as government reform was often slow and sometimes not very popular in opinion. However, Le Loi spent the period in long meditation and spiritual learning and there were plenty that referred to the great man as the Prince of Pacification.

(OOC - Le Thai Tong becomes my monarch, with below average skills, while Le Loi remains as a mil. leader)

His son would be barely 12 years old when he assumed the title of Prince Regent, but had been educated by Sung Chou himself and was thus much wiser than his years. Le Thai Tong, as he was now known, would rely heavily on Sung Chou's experience and wisdom in this time. One of the prince's main concerns, shared by Sung Chou, was the rising cost of the army in a time of peace. By 1435, he wished to disband at least one regiment and possibly defer those funds to further research, but Le Loi, still exerting tremendous influence, would not hear of it. His army would remain his most cherished love in the final years of his life.

In May of 1436, a marriage had been arranged between the Chinese Emperor's daughter and the son of Le Loi. It was to take place the following year when Le Thai Tong turned 16. Until such time, both the Emperor and Le Loi thought it beneficial for the boy to study with one of the leading teachers of Chinese scholarly study, focusing on administrative and military philosophy. The eunuch was sent to live in the palace and give lessons to the Prince Regent daily. As the year went on, Le Thai assumed more duties from his father as well. The combination of study and responsibility proved beneficial not only to Le Thai but the kingdom as a whole as the Prince Regent began to apply his new knowledge to his endeavors (Excellent Minister event, adm/dip/mil skill +3 for next 12 mths.)

By July of 1437, Le Thai Tong reached the age of 16 and the marriage was held in the Great Palace in Hue (RM w/ China, rel. to -23). It was considered a master stroke of diplomacy by Sung Chou. There was great celebration for the next several weeks. Le Loi was even known to make a few public appearances exhibiting newly found vigor and mental acuity.

China would appear to lose influence in the region following their reforms of 1438. In that year, China went with Inward Perfection as a strategic choice following the final explorations of the great Cheng He. Enclosing herself to the wider world, Chinese ministers urged the Emperor to focus on the mainland expansion and strengthening of the empire. There were rival factions, however, urging the continuation of great voyages and overseas diplomacy with what they called Africa. These factions would find an ally in the great Sung Chou.

The great diplomat hoped to create a civil war in China, allowing Le Thai Tong to claim control of the throne through his marriage ties as it was said the Prince had created an heir. Le Loi, still the ultimate arbitrator, decided it would not be in their best interests to attempt such. Though he trusted Sung Chou, he did not trust the Chinese in general, complaining that they had too much influence on the Dai Vietian court as it was. Either faction would, in the end, never support a foreigner for the throne given their history with the Mongol Hordes of the previous centuries. His decision was to take no side at all, allowing the splintered Chinese to come to an understanding without foreign influence. Though unpopular with the people, this decision would prove to be the correct one in time (Support Dissidents event, chose -1 Stab. hit over -25 ducats, -25 rel. w/ China.)

By June of the following year, the leading ministers in the Chinese court had brought reconciliation between the rival factions and a great wedding was celebrated between a younger brother of the Chinese Emperor and a Korean princess. With intrigue in China resolved, Sung Chou was able to make a trip to Vientiane in 1440, delivering a personal gift to the King (rel. to +200). Upon return to Hue in November, several noblemen appealed to the great man to give them positions in return for a monetary reward. Sung Chou refused, however, being the honorable man that he was (Sale of Offices event - chose to lose 5 VP's rather than gain 100 ducats and see the tax value of Da Lat drop -1.)

As the new decade began, the Prince Regent was finally able to convince his father to disband the Da Nang regiment of 5K troops, leaving Le Loi in command of a cavalry only Dai Viet Army. Le Loi reluctantly consented even as he noticed war clouds rising in the northwest. China and Myanmar went to war with Taungu in March of 1441. By November of that year, events had spilled over the border into Vientiane. On the 20th of that month, war was declared and Vientiane asked Le Loi to honor their alliance.

Up until this point, Le Loi had been happy to play both sides in the events of Taungu. However, with relations between Vientiane and Dai Viet so high, he could not refuse their request and declared war as well. Le Loi called the Da Lat regiment to Hue. Arriving there in December, Le Loi merged troops. On December 19th, the Dai Viet Army of 20K set out for the Taungun border on the other side of the valley in Sarakham, the heartland of Vientiane. Le Loi reached the border by February. His pace was slowed by his own health but the old king refused to ride in a wagon, instead leading the march on horseback. By March, attrition was starting to affect the men and instead of waiting for an attack, Le Loi decided to take the battle to them. Le Loi the Great was once again to prove victorious on the field of battle.

OOC - there was not a lot going on during these years, but you wouldn't know it. I felt splitting economic and political might help to sift through all the info. Besides, as you will see, the year by year Census Tax levels off after a while and the point seems moot to keeping pointing that out. Anyway, wanted to get a "little" tease out there...more coming up...

You are doing well coz1....

keep it up....

M

Part II: Economic Growth

Overview

As mentioned, by 1423 it became necessary to take firm steps to shore up the Dai Viet economy. With Cheng Lee's selection as Finance Minister, Le Loi was able to turn his attention towards other royal matters. Cheng Lee was left with the grand task of creating a kingdom of wealth capable of rivaling those of Nippon and China. With the wars of Le Loi's early reign over, Cheng Lee was able to take the spoils of war and utilize them in research. Specifically, he wished to learn more about trade and the markets that surrounded him in Malacca, Shanghai and far off Ganges. Combined with strong investment in infrastructure, Cheng Lee was confident this would produce a thriving economy for their great kingdom.

Population and Taxation

By October of 1423, Cheng Lee had learned much in the field of taxation as research continued in infrastructure (reached lvl.1.) The Chinese had been able to fund their war efforts by better methods of tax collection. Cheng Lee thought this idea worthy and immediately appointed a collector in the capital city of Hanoi. By 1428, he would have collectors stationed in all provinces of Dai Viet. Monthly and yearly, this and the yearly census taxes began to yield a good return. As the population continued to grow, more people were moving to the cities while still leaving plenty to work the land. Census taxes enjoyed a positive increase for each year from 1424 (at 38.85/yr.) to 1429 when it leveled off at 43.8/yr. This was to remain the same tax amount for the next 13 years only falling in 1444 (down to 37.2/yr.) after the tragic events of the previous fall (with stab. loss due to events and revolt in Da Nang discussed below.)

Trade

Infrastructure alone was not going to make the kingdom wealthy. Cheng Lee realized that a system of trade would be the real trick in gaining wealth for the people and their King. By December of 1423, Cheng Lee was finally able to utilize the growing corps of men yearning to travel to the far off markets and trade the fine goods that the Dai Viet people work so hard to produce (trade lvl.1.) He had also learned secrets used by the other kingdoms, mainly that there was strength in numbers. He would always send two merchants each time he wanted to establish another level of trade. This way, the first would compete with another merchant and hopefully move him out, while the second would slide into the position just vacated. For his entire career as a servant to the Kings of Dai Viet, this policy would always yield results.

He had procured maps to the three largest centers of trade in the region. To the north was Shanghai, the wealthiest. Run by the Chinese, Cheng Lee hoped that Le Loi's diplomatic efforts would help their ability to be a presence there. To the south was Malacca. Across the sea was a difficult trip, for the Dai Viet people were not a strong naval power. In fact, they did not even have a single warship. But the journey to Malacca by land was just as dangerous as Ayutthaya lay in between and their people were strangers to the Viet. But Malacca also had a thriving market; one that would prove to be quite elusive as well. Far off to the east was Ganges. The map guiding Cheng Lee there was even more questionable and therefore he decided to focus closer to home.

Shanghai prove to be easier to infiltrate than previously thought. Traders sent in Dec. 1423 and Feb. 1424 were all successful, leaving four merchants at work there. With a few losses here and there, he was able to maintain a presence at that same level for the better part of the next two decades, the last ten of which were spent in competition with the Koreans. As their influence waned, a fifth merchant was finally successful in 1439, though it would shrink back to 4 in the following years.

Malacca proved much harder to gain entry. The story here was one of a roller coaster ride. He would gain a foothold and then lose it. Back and forth it went from Dec. 1423 when the first merchant was sent to 1431 when a new strategy was attempted. By 1428, Cheng Lee had been able to keep between 2 and 4 merchants in Malacca, but with constant war interrupting the flow of goods, and difficult relations with many of the foreign traders, all of his merchants were eventually expelled by 1430. It was in this year that the great Sung Chou mediated the peace agreement between Malacca and Ayutthaya, siding with Malacca in the hopes that this may endear her to Dai Viet. This was not to be the case.

Cheng Lee decided to save his merchants and then send them in a succession of waves, two at a time, one month apart until they were firmly entrenched as that was the main problem. Starting in 1432, he began to see results against strong competition by Nippon. At first one merchant, and then two were able to find success. By 1441, he had 3 merchants there but events of the next few years would curtail some activity, leaving them with one.

Contributing also to the second decline in Malacca was a shift of interest to Ganges. As more knowledge became known to Cheng Lee, he learned that Ganges was on par with Shanghai in terms of money available to go around. He started sending merchants there in Jan. 1441 and by 1443 had 3 doing a fairly good business. Of all the goals set forth by Le Loi, trade was the one Cheng Lee truly wanted to succeed. It can be called a minor success, but more markets would need to be discovered before any true returns were forthcoming.

Budget/Stability/Inflation/Domestic Policy

As Cheng Lee had taken charge of the finances in Dai Viet in 1423, we would make the yearly and monthly budget a priority as well. By 1423, inflation had reared it's head and was at 1% and rising. In that year, Cheng Lee began spending money on research and took a loss in the treasury in order to gain an economic edge on their neighbors. By 1425, however, he had not yet seen an improvement in the monthly balance. Le Loi was growing impatient as he needed money to use for diplomatic overtures. Cheng Lee altered the monthly budget accordingly, sending a small sum to the treasury while maintaining a goodly level of research in both trade and infrastructure.

Though the Malacca trade crisis would hinder growth in 1430, it proved to be a good year in other respects. Cheng Lee was able to balance the budget for the first time in years. Also, Cheng Lee was able to convince Le Loi to lesson mercantilist restrictions on trade (Dom. Pol. slider moved one towards free trade). There would only be one other instance of these eases on restrictions during this period. Some ten years later, in 1440, more tariffs were removed from certain goods (another bump towards free trade.) It was true that there were those that mistrusted the changes made, and thought that it effected the stability of the country, but Cheng Lee thought these people simple and not educated in the ways of money and investment.

In fact, over the nearly twenty years of peace that Le Loi presided over, unrest was truly only in evidence once and stability remained at a constant high dropping only 5 times (2 of which were from Dom. Pol. changes.) The most serious threat came in 1434 as Le Loi's health began to fail him and Le Thai Tong assumed Prince Regent. Many surrounded the court, taking bribes and hand outs where available. (Corruption event, stab lose of -1 and -100 ducats.) Cheng Lee was to snuff this out like a moth on a flame. Some were paid off, forcing the King to take a loan from a fellow noble, however; Le Loi made sure Cheng Lee would pay this off on time, which he did in 1439.

The one problem that Cheng Lee was unable to solve during Le Loi's peace was that of inflation. Beginning in 1423, Cheng Lee would see the rise of inflation reaching 2% by 1426, to 3% a year later in 1427 and hitting 5% by 1430. From that point, it would maintain a steady increase by 1% every two years until corruption forced the loan. Thereafter, it would increase rapidly, swelling to 12% by June of 1443. Cheng Lee continued to maintain a balanced budget approach and was even helpful in convincing the King to disband one regiment of troops as the army was a costly endeavor. However, in the end it proved to be a wise investment as the final years of Le Loi's peace will show.

Last edited:

Part III: The Great Taungun War

In April of 1442, Le Loi's forces were met by Taungun soldiers in Lampang. Though the opposition had numerical superiority in infantry and were much more accustomed to fighting in the mountains, the battle was won in five days, sending a retreating force of 2K Taunguns scurrying to safety in the foothills. Even after their loss, however, the Taungun King demanded 25 ducats to cease warfare. This offer was, of course, refused. In May, the 2K Taungun force emerged to attack the King again. Once again they were defeated, the King annihilating their remaining forces. A siege was begun immediately.

In September of 1442, grim news was received by the King. His son, the Prince Regent had been poisoned, the murderer unknown. Sung Chou had an informant tell him it was another Taungun spy, but Le Loi suspected the Chinese. When Sung Chou sent word that the Chinese eunuch had disappeared from court, Le Loi was sure of it. Immediately, Le Loi commanded Sung Chou to declare Le Thai's 2 year old son, Le Nhan as Prince Regent, with his mother acting as ruler while Le Loi was in Taungu. Le Loi would defeat the Taunguns first, then he would return home to clean up his house.

(OOC - again, my monarch is replaced but Le Loi marches right on. Started to thing it was a bug until...well, read on)

Throughout the events of the past few weeks, it had been unknown that the Chinese had begun a siege of Bago, the capital of Taungu. In a state of vengeful thinking, not to mention strategic planning, Le Loi forced marched the bulk of his army to Bago, leaving a covering force in Lampang. When Le Loi reached Bago in October, the Chinese had combined with a Vientiane force to form a 20K strong siege army. They had almost breached the walls when Le Loi took command, being the only King in the battle (OOC - yes, blatant siege stealing, but if the AI can do it, why not me?!?)

On November 5th, the siege was successful, Dai Viet taking command of the Bago fortress. Le Loi immediately turned back to Lampang to finish the siege there before Vientiane decided to sue for peace. Worried that he may not reach there in time, he sent an envoy to his captives in Bago. Would they accept peace for 225 ducats? The offer was refused. Sung Chou was sent for as Le Loi reached Lampang and resumed siege in December. By February of the following year, the walls had been breached and the city fell on May 2nd. Sung Chou reached camp soon after with an outdated peace offer from Taungu in which they demanded 49 ducats. Sung Chou was sent with a counter offer. Le Loi demanded 700 ducats and the immediate vassalization of Taungu to the Dai Viet King.

Tayapaya, the Taungun King, had no choice. Forced to break a royal marriage with Ayutthaya, he entered camp a week later surrendering 74 ducats, as this is all his royal treasury held, and bowing before Le Loi, the Great King and Son of Heaven. Sung Chou was sent ahead to gain military access through Vientiane, and soon after Le Loi began his long march home depleated of half his forces and his oldest son, but with another vassal and more fantastic tales of exploits.

From Vientiane, Sung Chou was sent to invite Cambodia into the alliance, which they accepted. Sung Chou then returned home to see to the health of his King and the state of the royal house. In June, upon his arrival in Hue, Sung Chou learned that Le Loi had promoted him to the position of Grand Master and First Advisor (OOC - actually promoted to Viscount, but hey - this is better.) In this capacity, Le Loi had hoped Sung Chou would be able to counter the affect of his Chinese daughter in law. The promotion did not please several of the other noblemen and landowners as Sung Chou was of Chinese origin. Many of them attempted to gain support from the King of Champa, a vassal, but still a powerful man (Nobles ally with Foreign Power, Stab. drops -2 to +1, gain CB on Champa for next 24 mths - though we have a permanent one as well.) But as summer came into view, their fears were lifted and their love for the old King renewed.

On June 18th, Le Loi marched into Hue to a throng of cheering townspeople. He was greeted at the palace steps by Sung Chou and his other ministers, the Chinese princess and her newly crowned son. Le Loi immediately held a formal ceremony making the title of Prince Regent official, as the child took the name Le Nhan Tong. Sung Chou's promotion was made official as well, and Le Loi retired to his family farm to meditate on his family, his victories and his last great act, his death.

Le Loi died on July 15th, less than a month after returning home the triumphant military leader he had always been. There was much sadness in the months that followed. It was proclaimed a period of official mourning and Le Loi's ashes were enshrined in the Great Pagoda for all to see and remember next to those of Le Thai Tong, the young Prince. His grandson Le Nhan Tong assumed full royal title of King of Earth and Son of Heaven. The army was turned over to the capable leadership of commanders Ho and Hunan, commanding the Hanoi Regiment and Dai Viet Army, respectively. Sung Chou would remain in his position, as had been planned, and in the coming years, he would prove invaluable to the young King and a thorn to his mother, the Princess. She would be made Regent, but Sung Chou would weald considerable influence.

In September, Sung Chou traveled to China with a letter in the name of Le Nhan Tong to ensure proper recognition of the changes in Dai Viet's kingdom (rel. to -19). However, in November there was an uprising in Da Nang as the people reacted to the less than friendly nature of their foreign regent. The rebellion was put down quickly, but Sung Chou returned home immediately upon hearing the news. On his way home, he visited the Vientiane court, so recently at peace, and offered Vassal status again. Once more they refused (rel. to +170). Dismayed, he returned to Hue in December to face palace intrigue and his now four year old King.

1444 - Dai Viet and vassals

Last edited:
Screenies

OK guys - I've got a few screenshots scattered through here now. I hope everyone can see them. I'm using anycities.com and they are a bit slow to download but that may just be my computer.

And Bismark - thanks for following.:)

Should have another installment up soon.

I like this, one of the best debuts I've seen recently. Good job turning the random events into stories... looking forward to more.

The Reign of Le Nhan Tong

Part I: The Infant King

January 1, 1444
Census Taxes 43.8 ducats

As Sung Chou returned home in the winter of 1443, he wondered what would become of the kingdom Le Loi had worked so hard to found. As the next few years would see, Sung Chou was forced to come to many agreements between himself and Le Song Hi, the Chinese Princess and Regent for the infant Le Nhan. She was an intelligent and conniving woman. Forced to earn her place at court when she first arrived in 1437, she had easily pushed her way into the forefront of the royal house. There were some that even accused her of poisoning her husband, the Great Prince Regent, Le Thai Tong. She had been somewhat older than Le Thai when they had married, and was known to have several lovers as there were no palace eunuchs as were known in her native land.

At the death of Le Loi and the ascension of her son Le Nhan, Le Song Hi would find herself a definite player at court. But with Sung Chou's new position, he would not lie down like a sleeping dog. His job had always been to serve the king and therefore the country and he would do this until his dying day. Before reaching Hue for Tet celebrations in January of 1444, Sung Chou had visited the Vientiane court, offering a personal gift for the king as thanks for his contributions to the Taungun war (rel. to +178.) The Vientiane King had been less than cordial, not even consenting to dine with the great Sung Chou. Instead he was forced to feast upon his Terrier Stew alone, contemplating his royal predicament.

His nation was in a state of some unrest. Stability would improve by April (to +3), but with 36K Chinese troops, still at war with the King's vassal, west of Lao Cai, his was not an enviable position. By mid January, Assam had declared war on Myanmar, dragging China into yet another bloody war. This would take some of the pressure off of Sung Chou, but matters would be made worse that February, as the trade market took a dramatic downturn, destroying all Dai Viet interests in Malacca and Ganges, and losing one position in Shanghai. The loss at Ganges disturbed Sung Chou the most as he knew the effort Cheng Lee had put into establishing a presence there.

By June, Sung Chou had not yet been recalled from the Vientiane court. He assumed it was the result of a Chinese siege on the Taungun capital, Bago to the west. If the King's vassal were to fall under Chinese hands, then The Great Taungun War would have been fought for nothing. No news was delivered by two merchants heading back to the center in Ganges in September, but a messenger arrived with a letter for Sung Chou to deliver in November. This time, the Vientiane King was cordial and invited Sung Chou to see his great circus (rel. to +185.), yet seemed no more inclined to travel to meet the young King as had been requested.

January 1, 1445
Census Taxes 43.8 ducats

With stability back to normal in the kingdom, Sung Chou was delighted to hear that census taxes had been back to their usual level in the new year. His happiness upon returning home was short-lived, however, as news that Bago had fallen to the Chinese in February reached court. A peace offer did not follow, confusing Sung Chou. "What were the Chinese devils up too?", he thought to himself. Throughout the year, Cheng Lee and Sung Chou would become close friends and partners against the princess. As Cheng Lee would complain about his ability to maintain anyone at the trade center of Ganges, Sung Chou would counter with complaints of villagers, wanting to take to the seas, of all places (got a colonist finally, but nothing to do with him.) Both men new that exploration might benefit the kingdom someday, but that day would be after their lifetimes.

In June, the Royal marriage between Le Loi's youngest son, Le Tran the Simple and the Vientiane princess was ended as he succumbed to fever and died in the night. For months, the court was silent on what to do with the Vientiane princess. Neither, Sung Chou nor Le Song Hi wished to see her return to Vientiane, as Dai Viet's influence would return with her. Le Song Hi wished to see her married to Le Nhan. Sung Chou had doubts that the Vientiane King might allow his 23 year old daughter to wed the now 6 year old King. In the end, however, Le Song Hi saw victory as a beautiful wedding was held in November (RM w/ Vientiane, rel. to +200.)

January 1, 1446
Census Taxes 43.8 ducats

As 1446 began, Cheng Lee would spend most of his time sending and replacing merchants at Ganges. He sometimes wondered if the far off trips and thus expense were worth it, but where else was there to go? They knew of only these markets. He decided on a policy of conservation for a time, in order to have a capable storage of experienced merchants. He would spend the better part of the next two years giving training to and even learning from a group of men recruited from his very best merchants. Another merchant would not be sent in that year.

In April, a murder attempt on the young King's life was narrowly escaped. The culprit was caught as he fled the scene, leaving the Princess regent protecting her son at the steps of the palace. Sung Chou was sure it was the only time he saw something resembling affection pour forth from her. He was positive it was more in the nature of protecting a commodity than genuine love, however. The culprit turned out to be a young slave from Ayutthaya, bitter about favoritism shown Malacca by the courts of Asia. Weak indeed, is the man who must murder a child to show his strength. (Scandal at court event, Rel. w/ Ayutthaya -25.)

Good news was to follow bad, as the summer turned into fall. Korea, it was learned, had gone with a new system of writing and thus, turning away from the Chinese influence. It was too bad they were in such a weak state, because Sung Chou would have loved to cultivate relations with a country in such a strategic position. As it was, he was to instead face more disappointment as Vientiane declined to bow before Le Nhan once again (offer of vassalization declined, rel. to +170.) Ending the year on a down stroke, Sung Chou would not be invited to the peace agreements between Malacca and Atjeh that November. Some would say that he was loosing his sharpness. None more so than the princess.

January 1, 1447
Census Taxes 43.8 ducats

The two main concerns for the year 1447 were trade and war. As Cheng Lee's staff worked to increase trade efficiency, he would see men find purchase and then lose it at no different pace than before. One merchant was possible to maintain for a while, but not more than two at any one time. He was able to balance the budget in the early part of the year, but the growing disparity between Dai Viet and other kingdoms began to concern Cheng Lee. Mixed with rising inflation that reached 13% that March, he was afraid of economic ruin in the years to follow.

To complicate matters, summer saw additional aggression in the region. Pegu declared war on the King's vassal Taungu in July, bringing Ayutthaya with her. As tension was already strained between the courts of Dai Viet and the lowly Ayutthayas, it was difficult to convince the princess not to wage war in protection of the poor war-torn kingdom. Pegu, as well, had been a thorn in the side for years at Ganges and was therefore an attractive adversary to Le Song Hi. As the following months dragged on, it became increasingly harder to keep Le Song Hi placated. However, by September, Atjeh had declared war upon the King's other vassal Champa and China had signed a trade agreement with Malacca while still holding the fortress in Bago in her occupation. Cheng Lee was even convinced that inaction could lead to loss of respect.

The Chinese princess was well aware of this possibility. Coming from a proud family with warrior traditions, she would not stand by and watch another kingdom run over her sphere of influence like so many jackals. With full confidence of the court, she would present an ultimatum to Sung Chou in October. Either he prepare the country for war or he would find a new position; one not so comfortable, she assured him. It had finally reached the moment Sung Chou had waited for since the day of Le Loi's death. The princess exerted her power. With Le Song Hi as Regent, there was nothing more Sung Chou could do but try to be in position to steer the wagon away from potential harm once it reached the rocky cliffs. He assented in November and war was declared on Pegu (with Ayutthaya joining) the 3rd of that month.

All throughout the planning stages, it had been assumed that Dai Viet's neighbors and partners would join the fight without question. They were all in the same vulnerable position if the balance of power in the region shifted to the west and thus it would seem natural that they should desire a fast solution to the warring tribes on their borders. Vientiane had even started the war with Taungu not so many years back. Sung Chou would be shocked to find negative responses from both Kings when asked that they honor their alliance commitment. Further, stability would drop in the realm as peasants braced themselves for loss of their loved ones and incursions of the enemy (stab. dropped because Pegu is also Buddhist, but only -1 since I had CB on for them attacking my vassal.)

Sung Chou could not have found himself in a worse position if it were not for the illness that befell him immediately at the outset of war. Some called it anxiety, others a misbalance of the elements but in either case, he was often too sick to rise from bed. Thus it was that the Pegu War was started in disaster for there was no one guiding spirit as there used to when Le Loi was King. Sung Chou would at least have an appreciation for the delicacies of both battle and diplomacy, but war generals fight only for personal honor and bounty. His subordinates ran much interference in the months ahead, often times lying outright to the princess claiming he was at the front instead of taken to sickbed.

The war would not go well for Dai Viet in the opening stages. Both the Hanoi Regiment and the Dai Viet Army headed to the border of Ayutthaya in Vientiane. General Chang, in charge of the invasion force, waited to receive orders on where to strike. There were already 12K Pegu men besieging Lampang with Ayutt reinforcements on the way. As well, 15K Ayutt troops were stationed across the border in Kwai. As the year wound to a close, Le Song Hi would push for a strike on the capital of Ayutthaya in Bangkok.

January 1, 1448
Census Taxes 37.2 ducats

Starting out the year with a loss in tax income, Cheng Lee was to soon learn of heavy trading at Shanghai pushing one of their merchants out. Needing more money to fund a war effort would become even more pressing in the coming months. In Tanh Noah, 8K infantry were recruited as reinforcements and to the north, it was learned that Manchu had cancelled the military access it held with Korea and declared war on her instead. Truly the world was now at war.

On the 8th on January, 16K Ayutt troops began marching from Kwai into Lampang to assist Pegu with her siege. Not wishing to waste a chance, Chang ordered his men to the city of Bangkok and besieged her walls. Had the siege turned out successful, Chang might have avoided the shame that was to follow, but as it was; a 1K force of recruits, fresh from the villages of Ayutthaya was able to defeat his army of 15K men. Pushed back into Laos, Chang prepared for a counter attack by both the enemy and the princess. Perhaps it was the marshy ground, he reasoned, but then remembered that he had a strong infantry force. Chang was simply mystified at his circumstance.

With news coming of an Atjeh attack on Champa in April, Le Song Hi ordered the 8K army of recruits to the front in order to bolster Chang's forces. With them, she sent a small gift. The box contained a small pill. Chang was sure of it's message. Win or choose death. He would be helped by Sung Chou, the great diplomat. The aged Wiseman was aware of the court rumors and knew the fate that would befall Chang if a victory were not pulled out of this impossible situation. He forced himself out of bed and sent word that he would travel to Cambodia to personally request that they join in the fight. The difficult journey was to be fruitless as the Cambodian ambassador left the man waiting for hours, never allowing him to see their King. In even worse condition upon his return, Sung Chou would be humiliated in front of the entire court.

Le Song Hi would finding great pleasure at Sung Chou's misfortune. The war effort was in pitiful shape with not enough men and no money to find them. Further what armies that were on the front were in weak condition and obviously poorly trained as battle victory was not theirs. But it was all to her benefit as not only would Sung Chou surely find little further confidence among the noble families, but perhaps even they might make her Queen if the situation became dire enough that a Regent were not enough to exert influence in the world.

Sung Chou, on the other hand, would be inconsolable. When an offer of white peace was offered by Pegu in May of 1448, Sung Chou desperately wished to grasp at the opportunity to rid himself and his kingdom of this disastrous war. The princess would not consent. She reasoned that Cheng Lee had found success in rebuilding the trade in Shanghai and that surely money would begin to flow in from their Chinese brothers to the north. She even discussed the possibility of joining an alliance with her brother's empire. Though, Cantonese by birth, Sung Chou had no wish to see such Chinese influence in the house of Le. He feared that there was too much already. His ultimate fear involved the princess as a covert agent for her brother, or even, perhaps an attempted coup of power.

As a renewed push was attempted on Bangkok in May, it was learned that Taungu had ceded Lampang to Pegu in exchange for peace. Though horrible news, summer would see victories for the first time against small bands of enemy troops hammering away at the siege in Bangkok. By late June, Sung Chou was informed that Vientiane had invited them into an alliance. But as this meant no involvement in the war effort, the offer was refused. By the end of summer, Chang's army had gained no ground on the siege but had continued to find victory against Ayutt troops. With stability increasing across the realm (to +3), Le Song Hi felt that victory was in sight. But a 9K army marching towards the siege in Bangkok persuaded Chang differently.

It became clear to Chang that with little money for recruitment, the only way to win at this juncture was to avoid direct confrontation as much as possible and focus on siege warfare. Therefore, he hurried his army away from the siege at Bangkok and began a forced march to Lampang, so recently vacated by Pegu troops. The remaining forces at home were put on alert and sent to Tanh Noah in case of a southern invasion. By the end of summer, all at court knew that hope rested in fleeing Bangkok as quickly as possible and perhaps gaining control of Lampang from Pegu. Sung Chou was even less optimistic. He knew the war would fail from the start and as he watched the princess destroy all that he and Le Loi had spent so many years building, he would wonder if the end was near for them all.

Last edited:

Interlude

September 18, 1448
Dusk

That afternoon at lunch, Sung Chou firmly remembered that something seemed different about Cheng Lee. At times he appeared unfocused, confused even. Nothing had registered at the time. The old diplomat sat at the end of his bed and looked at the ground before him. Grey and dank, he heard rats in the darkness.

Sung Chou was old, but he still had a fairly good memory. He faintly thought he heared the name Nghi or Nghi Dan in the hallway not long after they brought him here. He slowly rose from the bed and shuffled over to the door that led to the hall. Not tall enough to look out the window, Sung Chou bent his head and put his ear to the door.

"You will stay here all night if I ask you to, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir. It's ..."

"...yes..."

"...Nothing, sir."

And then footsteps. Were they coming towards the door?...no...away...

His heart beating faster, Sung Chou was forced to sit down on the floor where he was standing. With a muffled thud, he hit his head slightly against the wall causing a knot as his body hit the ground. Slowly shifting his weight so his back was to the wall, Sung Chou noticed that he was in position to see the last of the sunlight over the outside window in his room.

The sun. The Sun. The Son.

As he sat and contemplated the pure tranquility that was his at that moment, Sung Chou nearly blacked out. The door to his room opened and a guard came to his side, helping Sung Chou to the bed.

"Too kind, my son..too kind. I would do it myself, you see...but..."

"It is as well Master Chou...please, lie here and be still. Take this blanket."

"Do you mind if I ask you a question young man?"

"No, sir."

"Well...is it possible you could include a message for someone with my things when you take them from me?"

"No one is planning to take your things Master. Is there someone you would like to see?"

"Well, yes...if it could be arranged...I'd like to speak with Master Lee."

"Master Lee is dead sir."

"Dead...dead, you say..."

"Yes, he died of a disease of the blood. Very quickly apparently. Just three hours ago, sir."

"Cheng Lee??"

"Yes, sir."

"Please...leave me now...please..."

"If you'll lay still and quiet sir. Please don't make a fuss..."

"I'll make no fuss, son. You'll not have to harm me. I promise you this."

"Sir...thank you , sir."

Sung Chou watched the young guard leave the room. He still commanded respect, but not with the right people. And Cheng Lee...dead. Can it be true? Yes, it makes sense now, his behavior. He had not mentioned that he was sick.

And who had kidnapped him? And exactly where had they taken him? Surely Le Song Hi commanded this, but how did the nobles allow such to happen? These thoughts ran round and round Sung Chou's head as his eyes closed. He would sleep for now. Perhaps the answers would come from there.

Last edited:

Interlude

The princess walked down the hall briskly. Following behind her were two guards of the palace. She slowed and quickly turned to face a large door to the left. Gesturing to the guards, one of them opened the door and entered. The princess then continued down the hall, with the second guard following. Stopping at the end of the hall, she slowly opened the door to her right and entered the room.

A boy about the age of thirteen was sitting on the floor, reading an ancient text on warfare. Looking up, he asked,

"Mother? Who is this you have brought to me?"

"This is Phan Ban. He will protect you."

"From what do I need protection mother?"

"Nothing my child. There is no need to worry. All will be right soon. Perhaps Phan Ban will allow you to read for him..."

"Perhaps he will ALLOW me to do nothing!" the boy exclaimed.

"I only mean..."

"Why don't you go see your son, the king? Perhaps he needs protecting," the boy said with much spite.

The princess, not one to be emotional, fought back tears welling in her eyes. Why did her oldest son hate her so much? She had not wanted to send him away. She was forced to by Le Loi. At the time it had been necessary. All attention was to be paid to the new Prince Regent. At Le Loi's death, she had been able to recall little Nghi Dan, but his temperament had changed.

The princess walked back down the hall to her younger son's room. Walking in, she saw the boy asleep on his bed. On the floor, beside him, was his youngest brother Tu Thanh. The boy opened his eyes, rose from the floor and went to his mother. Hugging her around the neck, he said

"Do not worry mother. I will protect him. I will make sure that our king is safe."

"Oh, young Thanh...how sweet a little boy you are. Go, go on to bed now. Come, I will walk you there."

The princess and her young son exited from the King's chamber. Walking out into the courtyard, the princess felt the chill of the night air on her neck. Wrapping her robes around herself and little Tu Thanh, she thought to herself,

"Things will be different now. I'll not have to worry about old, meddling Sung Chou. My son will come into his own and we shall rule this kingdom together. And if he is killed, I have more children."

No man would take this power from her now, she swore. She would see to that personally.

After a really busy week, I'm finally getting around to catching up on my reading...

Wow. You've been busy too! It looks like, overall, you're doing okay game-play wise, though this most recent war is going to be one of those really bloody affairs before it's over.

I agree with Carligula - this is definitely one of the best debuts I've read.

I've finally had a chance to read your work. In a word, awesome. The amount of detail and quality of writing, especially for a first time AAR, is excellent. I really enjoyed the Interludes. Effective dialogue is hard to master, and you've done a good job.

Anyway, you look well on your way building toward the inevitable confrontation with the 'Ferenghi.' :)

Good work.