• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vann the Red said:
You realize, Incognita, that only like 17 days have passed since the game's start to the present day at Pippy's current rate of one game day per real life month, right? It's hardly too late. ;-)

Excellent post followed by interesting reflection by AF.

Vann
The group of AARs which take more time in real life than in game time is a small and elite brotherhood. *nods*

• 1Like
Reactions:
50,000 Views! It's madness, madness I tell you! :wacko:

Atlantic Friend - You hit the nail on the head, it's the reaction to world events that will prove the problem. It takes time to determine a coalition's response to new challenges (if a consensus is ever reached that is), time France may not have.

Incognitia - The long term strategic problems of France and the Empire are aligned, there's minimal conflict of interests and no reason why they can't rebuild the Entente Cordial. So, obviously, it won't go that smoothly ;)

Vann the Red - Hush your mouth sir! This epic has been going for 26 whole months and has already reached May. That's damn near one real month per game week, thus I'm seven time better than you claim. :p

Jalex - Rest assured, it's stopped again. But with good reason.

Fulcrumvale - I do like to consider myself a senior member of that group, I think still hold the best (worst) real:actual ratio. :D

Why no update? Well I've been modding the game, partly events for Spain but mainly this;

workwx9.jpg

May not look much, but it's taken long enough. Hopefully an update for next weekend at the latest.

Reactions:
Interesting mod. I look forward to the story version of the picture.

While hyperbole can be a disastrous debating strategy, in some cases it is valid. ;-)

Vann

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:
Communist International) and Lebrun's Section Française de l'Internationale Ouvrière (SFIO, the French Section of the Workers International)

Don't you mean Blum?

Anyway, good update, and I'm glad to see Spain coming into the forefront :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Funkatronica - Opportunities for many but disappointments for most is probably the best way of describing it. ;)

Vann the Red - True, true. I only complain because it's so near the truth. I never even vaguely imagined this AAR would end up taking more than two years.

GeneralHannibal - Whoops. :eek:o Fixed now.

You do indirectly raise a question I was wondering about. Acronyms or full names for political parties? Personally I'm still undecided and, as this issue will crop up again, I might as well ask.

Do people particularly want to see the full names (and English translations) of the various parties OR do they just clutter the update and the acronyms alone will do. I think the former fits the 'style' I'm going for but the latter would make it easier to read. Thoughts anyone?

Reactions:
El Pip said:
Do people particularly want to see the full names (and English translations) of the various parties OR do they just clutter the update and the acronyms alone will do. I think the former fits the 'style' I'm going for but the latter would make it easier to read. Thoughts anyone?

Personally, I prefer the full names.. Not so much based on whether it reads easy or not, but simply because my memory tends to slip a bit over time.. ;)

I hate it, when I see an update full of acronyms and I've long since forgotten what they actually stood for, if I ever knew.. Some people never write anything but the acronyms. It detracts from my enjoyment of an update, since I might not understand all of it, due to not knowing whether it details something about a political party, a military branch or something else..

So for me, full names all the way, or at least once every update, and then acronyms for the rest in that post.. That way I'll still know what it is you write about. ;)

Did that make sense?

Oh.. And of course.. Excellent AAR and update.. I bow to you..

applause-038.gif

Reactions:
Doge Robert - Thanks for the praise and, as the only person to reply, the full names will continue.

As for the current update, it's a bugger frankly. I've got a beautiful idea, something which once I thought of I had to do. Sadly I just can't get it down in a way that makes sense, not without a major re-write which I've been reluctant to do. However the bullet has been bitten and chunks of update deleted, so hopefully a clean(ish) sheet should produce something I'm actually happy with.

Or in other words: This isn't dead yet. :p

Remember Duggie Bader...

...And fight on! (strains of inspirational music in background) :cool:

Where would we be today, without Our Chaps going up against hordes of scheming hun, eyeties, and er, disgruntled international politicians? :rofl:

Please keep up the good work, and I'll ensure that the Tangmere Wing watches your Six!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XLVI: For King or Country - Part I.
Chapter XLVI: For King or Country - Part I.

Had the freshly re-elected French Prime Minister, Albert Sarraut, wished to influence, or even understand, events in Spain he would have been ill-advised to send diplomats to Madrid. Event after Manuel Azaña's ascendancy from Presidente del Gobierno (President of the Government or Prime Minister) to Presidente de Espana (President of Spain, the head of state) he would remain confined to the role of catalyst, the trigger for events that others would attempt to control. If the French government had possessed slightly more knowledge of the situation, Sarraut may have been tempted to send agents to Spanish North Africa, to monitor the meetings of army commanders. While he would find plots and conspirators in abundance, he would also find that the centre of power lay elsewhere. To put our notional French leader out of his misery, to find the eye of the coming storm he would not have to look any further than King Charles Street, Westminster and the palatial buildings that housed the British Foreign Office.

R8XQ16I.jpg

The Durbar Court in the heart of the Indian Office, which shared King Charles Street with the Foreign Office. While the Foreign Office was still a stronghold of appeasement, pacifism and a generally timid approach to dealing with European matters (the Far East being a different matter) things were beginning to change. A combination of political pressure from the cabinet and competition from the Indian Office would force a return to the more expansive policies of the Victorian era.

That Britain was in a position to exert such influence over the future of Spain was not the product of cunning intelligence or diabolical intrigue, but the result of a lucky find by an Army Intelligence unit and basic geography. The former came in the aftermath of Operation Templar, searching the over run Italian Army HQs indirectly revealed the coup plot by way of the Regia Aeronautica involvement. The latter can be summed up in one word; Gibraltar. Sitting slap bang between the coup leaders in Morocco and the Spanish mainland any attempt to move from one to the other could be stopped dead by even a modest force operating out of 'The Rock'.

In summary Britain had the means, the opportunity and, due to the vast scale of British interests in Spain, the motivation to get involved. The problem for the cabinet therefore was what not if to get involved, but how to intervene, which of the many possible outcomes were best for Britain and how to bring it about. As previously discussed the two obvious options available; supporting the government or supporting the coup were both considered unattractive (dislike of the communist and far left elements of the government and concern over the violent reputation and Italian links of the plotters respectively). The other option, doing nothing, despite leaving the vast and important interests in the country at considerable risk of being seized or falling under hostile control, had been the front runner, if only due to being 'least bad'. Such an option had been utterly unacceptable to Churchill while Prime Minister, so he had instructed that all efforts be made to delay the coup until a fourth option could be found, one that Britain could whole-heartedly support. After Churchill's rapid fall from power it would be Chamberlain who would inherit that fourth option, a typically bold and ambitious scheme but one that would have the most unexpected side effects.

While the delaying efforts was spectacularly successful, partly because Italy's defeat in the Abyssinian War had curtailed their ability to assist and partly because the coup's main financial backer, the extraordinarily wealthy Juan March Ordinas, was a British agent in Gibraltar and so controllable, the fourth option appeared an impossibility. The polarisation of the country during the election had reduced Spain to two colossal factions on the left and the right, the few remaining centrists were too small a body to be of any account. The key to the British solution was the realisation that they did not need to create a new faction if they could make influence either of the existing ones to more acceptable policies. With this in mind the coup chief planner, General Emilio Mola, naturally came to the fore, having been sent by the Popular Front government to the backwater province of Navarre he had forged links with one of the largest groups in Spain, and one which would be vital to the British plans; the traditionalist pro-monarchy Carlists.

As a group to support, the Carlists were attractive for a variety of reasons; quite aside from their large size and diverse membership they possessed their own milita, the Requetés, who had been equipped and trained by various governments throughout the Second Republic era, They had strong links to the Catholic Church (another important anti-government group) and had a non-military political organisation with a strong presence in the Cortes. Despite these advantages, or perhaps because of them, they punched well below their weight in terms of influence, the coup plotters being reluctant to give concessions to any political party when there was the prospect of forming a military Junta, with one of their own as Caudillo. The political leader, Manuel Fal Conde, while aware of the problem could see no solution, with the army providing the muscle, plans and, indirectly through Juan Ordinas' network, the finance for the coup they were in the driving seat. In summary they were a sleeping giant, potentially very powerful but, through circumstances beyond their control, unable to leverage their advantages into power and influence.

zzb3fYr.jpg

The man who would be King? Francisco Javier de Borbón Parma y de Braganza, Duke of Parma and Piacenza, was the Carlist Regent under the name Javier I. With the senior claimant, Alfonso Carlos, Duke of San Jaime, undesirable due to age, he was over eighty years old, and his lack of children, the Carlist Communion accepted the logic of skipping straight to the regent, to the relief of the British.

The decisive factor in favour of the Carlists was, perhaps, more emotional than practical, certainly it would not have been as influential to other nations as it was to Britain. Put simply the Carlist aim, a restored Spanish monarchy, appealed to the British sensibility; Britain had bult her empire and thrived under a constitutional monarchy, clearly it was the best of all possible systems and could only be good for Spain. That is not to say there were not practical benefits from a British point of view, supporting the restoration of the King as a constitutional monarch would, by definition, remove the possibility of a military Junta running the country. The restoration would also help put the Carlist political wing, the Comunión Tradicionalista, into power hopefully providing a further bulwark against extremism and, of course, ensuring that the British help was remembered and suitably rewarded by the new government. These carefully assembled plans were shattered with news from the intelligence networks in Spanish North Africa;

gpqes1k.jpg

Although far from as extensive as Admiral Hugh 'Quex' Sinclair wished the SIS spy networks across Europe, and in Spain particularly, had expanded considerably thanks to the extra funds provided by Churchill. This investment would pay off, the new agents providing invaluable information to the British government throughout the entire affair. In the spring of 1936 the key agent in Spain would be Major Hugh Pollard; with agents scattered across Spanish North Africa his work would keep Whitehall better informed than the Republican government in Madrid.

As worrying as the initial reports were, the details proved even more disturbing. While the exercises were a genuine government idea, an opportunity the plotters had dismissed as being too soon and forcing them to act before they were ready, it appeared that the former chief of staff, General Fransicso Franco felt differently. After Franco had been sent to the Canaries by the Popular Front government he had, naturally, been approached by both Mola and the coup figure head José Sanjurjo. However at the time he had been decidedly ambivalent about it, to such an extent the plotters had planned to proceed without him. The mystery of why he had so dramatically changed his mind had an alarming answer; Major Pollard reported the presence of a large contingent of Abwehr agents in the Canary Islands.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good to know that Britain is steadfastly guarding her interests in Iberia. Go Carlists and Francisco Javier de Borbón Parma y de Braganza! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
A good solution to a pickle of a problem. Will it worth though?

• 1Like
Reactions:
What a devious move from Hitler and Franco! Is this to be Chamberlain's pretext to making this civil war international? Will Orwell have to fight the forces of fascism with unworthy allies that will feature in his future writing? Will the Condor Legion return with valuable combat experience or just bruises? Will the British ever stop drinking room temperature beer? :wacko:

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:
The mystery of why he had so dramatically changed his mind had an alarming answer; Major Pollard reported the presence of a large contingent of Abwehr agents in the Canary Islands.

Dun, dun, DUNN!!!!

That can only mean one thing...

TheExecuter

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ooh, an update! And a fun one. Not to mention one that taught me something - I was all ready to call you out for muddling the 19th-century Carlist movement with the 20th-century royalists until I checked the facts and found that yes, Carlism was alive and kicking into the 1960s. Never would have thought it. I do wonder slightly why the British are cozying up to the Carlists rather than the legitimate Isabelline Bourbons - is Alfonso XIII too close to Franco or is he just too unpopular in Spain?

Anyway, on with the story. Cloaks and daggers ho, boys!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Karelian - First order of business; Get him a shorter name! :D

Jalex - Calling that an excellent update was a most intelligent thing to say.
ja.gif

Sir Humphrey - It is a fine solution, although I fear other nations will also have come up with 'beneficial' solutions.

C&D - Lager = Cold, Beer = Room Temperature. It's an easy system to remember, the less taste something has the more you've got to chill it before it's drinkable. ;)

Relevantly the questions perhaps are; Will the Condor Legion even leave Germany? Would Chamberlain be able to stop the conflict going international even if he wanted to? Who else has agents in Iberia?

TheExecuter - Indeed! Such a revelation can only mean......

RAFspeak - Well it wouldn't be a fun AAR if it followed a predictable path would it old bean?

Carlstadt Boy - Such praise, you'll make me blush if you aren't careful. I can only say I'm very glad you've enjoyed it and I hope you don't mind the erratic update schedule too much.

merrick - I too was surprised as the longevity of Carlism, the Carlist Party is even today putting up candidates for election, although not with much success it must be admitted.

As I understand it Alonfso XIII was not popular, his part in supporting the dictatorship of Miguel Primo de Rivera had not been forgotten. Moreover he lacked a supporting organisation, those who supported his restoration (or that of his son) just wanted A King, I don't believe they were much bothered about which succession or bloodline was used. (Cue someone who knows the period correcting me ;) )

The Carlist on the other hand were bothered, very deeply, about the succession and had a political party and an armed militia; powerful reasons to support their candidate over an unpopular deposed King or his son. Moreover a King installed by Britain, rather than one returned to his throne, is more likely to be grateful later, a not unimportant advantage.

Reactions:
I think Pip chose Juan because the other branch of royalists is not available to Republican Spain. Unless he is rooting for Nationalist Spain under carlists because he doesn't like Republican Spain under carlists. Though the difference is merely map color. Does Pip think it's worse to be a more red Spain than to be a yellow Spain? If that's it, don't expect any help from those Spanish, they'll be more yellow than the French.

• 1Like
Reactions: