• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The righteous should not suffer the Roman Bishop's little pawn desecrating Constantine's throne.

If all the frightful demons and monsters from Eastern European lore were to be set upon a hapless target, you wouldn't find a better choice than this heathen David, curses be upon his Rat-faced miserable person.

The irony is that Basileus David is considered "Blessed" by the Catholics, despite his Cruel personality...

Wish there was a way to detach the Ecumenical Patriarch and make him join Wallachia or be independent entirely, as the game is near 1390, movements need to be precise!

Interlude: Status Mundi 1390 – Overview of the Basarab World

In the Curtea de Argeș Monastery, the scribes worked feverishly to redesign once again the Map of the World Anno Domini 1390, as well as compile a Chronicle of the Basarab Wars and the Genealogical Tree of the Wallachian rulers.

Wallachia stands proud between three great empires: the Holy Roman Empire, the Golden Horde Khaganate and the Basileia Romaion- which went into apostasy and converted to Catholicism. Hungary has been reduced in size and with the enactment of elective monarchy, there is the potential that the throne will pass to a Basarab.

The Golden Horde stretches vastly till the Siberian plains, however it faces an invasion from a Borjigin Tengri branch from Turkestan, threatening to fracture the Asian lands.

In Europe proper, Scotland and Norway are united in a personal union with the Scottish de Bruce family. The Italian City states prosper and all is pretty much calm in Western Europe.

In Northern Africa, the Sunnites rule in relative peace, as the Hafsid Dynasty- Sultans of Africa, adopted Catholicism and face rebellion from discontent Sunni vassals.

Finally, in the Middle East, the Ilkhanate Shia rule supreme and pose a potential threat to Christianity, should the Khagan wake from his slumber.

Here are depicted the de-jure lands surrounding Wallachia: by ancient tradition, Timis, Transylvania, Pest and Ungvar are part of the Kingdom of Hungary but are held now by the King of Wallachia- needing at least 2 more counties or so, to have a rightful claim on the Kingdom of Hungary.

This is the Genealogy Tree of House Basarab: each of those marked had a more or less important role in Basarab history whether they sealed alliances with their marriage or through their position in Wallachian court. Of particular interests are Prince Dracul, who is the Boyar of Heves and Bihor and elected successor(so far) of Wallachia, Queen Ioanna of Byzantium- wed to Basileus David, cousin of Nicolaie II Alexandru from the maternal line and Valeriu, a Basarab kinsman, independent Duke of Pecs in Hungary

This is the current King of Wallachia, Nicolaie II Alexandru the Holy: gregarious, charitable and a game master, his diplomatic abilities suffer only from his wroth outbreaks and zealous rhetoric. His gluttony is well known for and he has been currently stressed from the recent events of Constantinople.

On the other hand, his cousin and current antagonist, Basileus David, is considered Blessed by the Catholics and is also zealous of his faith. Diligent and humble, he strives to preserve what he has been given and lend a hand to the Catholics in need, especially at Jerusalem. However, his slight with the Ecumenical Patriarch has given him a reputation of cruelty, making him stressed of receiving ill word from the Pope.

Finally, a chronicle of the Basarab offensive wars is listed, with the year of conclusion:

*County Claim on Feher- 1314- with this war, Ioan Basarab united the Vlachs to the north with Wallachia

* Claim on the Duchy of Transylvania -1325- marking the first war of rebellion against King Karoly d’ Anjou, Ioan Basarab became Duke of Transylvania and enhanced his position.

* Wallachian War of Independence- 1328- the Vlachs broke free from Hungary

* Wallachian De Jure war on Bihar- 1337- Bihar was united with the rest of Transylvania

*County Claim on Bacs- 1344- with the conquest of Bacs, the Vlachs could establish one day the Duchy of Timis

* County Claim on Csanad- 1356- the count of Timis had a personal claim on neighboring Csanad, part of the Duchy of Pest.

* Claim on the Duchy of Moldau- 1359- taking into advantage a Mongolian Civil War, King Nicolaie Alexandru Basarab pressed his claim on the entire Duchy of Moldau, enabling him to become King of Wallachia

* Péter’s claim on Pecs – 1370- The Basarabs essentially pressed the independence of one of the largest duchies in Hungary, who along the line the descendant would be a Basarab kinsman.

* Holy War for Karvuna – 1373- the Duke of Karvuna became an Iconoclast and became independent from the King of Bulgaria. Of course, an opportunity to expand even more to the Black Sea coast could not go unchecked.

* Claim on the Duchy of Ungvar- 1378- the Chancellor of Wallachia, the Duke of Timis, also had a claim on the entire Duchy of Ungvar and with a Regency Council, it was the best time to press the claim. Even more so when with the death of the Chancellor, the duchies would be split between the brothers.

* Claim on Heves- 1383- Prince Dracul became Count of Heves and King Nicolaie II proclaimed himself Duke of Pest , in addition to his other titles. The claim on Hungary was becoming near.

* Claim on Constantinople – 1389- in a gamble to reinstate the Ecumenical Patriarch as a guiding moral figure of Orthodoxy, King Nicolaie II Alexandru Basarab took the City from the Genoese merchants, who had ousted the Byzantine authorities when they were still Orthodox. However, Basileus David revoked the County and Hagia Sophia from the Patriarch .

Last edited:
The Hafsids went Catholic? Nice! But how did that happen?

The Hafsids went Catholic? Nice! But how did that happen?

I have no idea to be honest... the Sultan, who is facing a a Jihad for his lands by the way, does not seem to be a "sympathizer to muslims" so I cannot decide if he was forcefully converted. Everyone else on the family is Sunni , except 2 brothers who have joined Catholic Holy Orders

If anyone else wishes to see a particular place on the map or dynasty, let me know! Although I have played a bit so another "overview" will be in order ;)

Last edited:
From now on, the game is patched with 2.3.2!!

Chapter 10: Divine Providence?

“That arrogant and cruel lout! Not only did he steal Constantinople and Hagia Sophia from the Patriarch but he also castrated him for example!!”

Nicolaie II fumed and the letter trembled in his hands. He then violently threw it in the fireplace for it to burn and exclaimed:

“Summon my army! I shall face him in the field of battle and give him a piece of his own medicine!! I’ll...”

His wife, Princess Agne of Byzantium, embraced him and tried to calm him down

“My love, yes you are true, my brother has always been fascinated with cruelty even from his years as a child...but he is also your cousin, he has part of your blood. And even if that does not mean much to you, the whole Europe will be upon you for breaking the laws of conflict and attacking a fellow Christian without a just cause!! You will be the pariah of Christianity! Not only to the Catholics but to Orthodox as well, which you aspire to become a Protector of”

He thought about it some more and she was right... Constantinople was given to the Patriarch who was a vassal to the Basileus. In the end, it was an internal affair of Byzantium of how it’s emperor treated his vassals, even if that vassal was the highest religious authority of his own religion in the end.

A dark cloud though crossed his mind... there was another way that he could depose David and without open conflict...

Nicolaie II looked at his wife and saw her with new light. What if he could combine the laws and his new thought to assassinate the Basileus...

“Agne...what would you say if...you would be the Basilissa of the Basileia Romaion... I would be the sword which would protect you and you will bring again the Greeks under the light of Orthodoxy...”

She looked at Nicolaie II...did he imply to...

“Fratricide..? Then I will be accursed to Hell forever..!”

Nicolaie II was not pleased with her answer...however he used his warm tone to convince his wife

“Why are you negative about it...I am sure the Ecumenical Patriarch would give you absolution for your sin, if there is any! The man castrated one of the holiest men on Earth, the representative of Christ!!”

She looked troubled...it was not an easy thing to do...

Nicolaie II insisted

“I know of your ambitions Agne...you are my queen yes, but of Wallachia. A strong realm but it is not the Basileia Romaion, the glorious everlasting light of the world! Would you rather command a court and ladies in waiting or the City of the World’s Desire?”

He hit the strings of pride and ambition in her heart and her few sentiments of love for her kin dissolved. She agreed to travel back to Constantinople to see if a plot could be hatched to remove David from the throne. In the right circumstances, her claim could be utilized.

Already the Ecumenical Patriarch was more than willing to participate as well as some other disappointed vassals of the Basileus. Time would show if they would succeed or fail...

Meanwhile, the Pope had called a Crusade for Jerusalem, apparently to strengthen the Kingdom from Muslim attacks

The scheme hatched and with the influence of Princess Agne and his Chancellor, it grew in strength. Some of the conspirators were Orestes Palaiologos, a Fraticelli kinsman , the Ecumenical Patriarch and the Mayor of Deuteron. Ioan Telegdi of Timis did his best to convince Doux Konstantinos III Palaiologos that Basileus David was not what he seemed...

The conspiracy to murder Basileus David did not occupy though all the time of Cneaz Nicolaie II and his wife, who brought him good news. She was with child!

On the 21st of April 1392 Princess Agne gave birth to a son, who was named Mircea. The Wallachian populace was joyous!!

Cneaz Nicolaie II Alexandru had many dreams for this young boy, hoping one day to teach him the art of war and succeed him when he came of age.

For the time being though, news from his kinsman provoked his interest. Duke Valeriu Basarab of Pecs began to play the power game himself, wishing to install a Hungarian Orthodox noble instead of the current Duke who served under the Hungarian King. Intrigued by this move, Cneaz Nicolaie II send word that he would aid his kinsman in his effort and decimate the Hungarian forces

Bertalan Istvánfi was not known for his intellect or for any great skills, but that did not matter if the goal was to weaken the King of Hungary furthermore..

Of course, when the messenger of Nicolaie II Alexandru came to dispatch the news of joining the war in aid of Valeriu Basarab, he was most pleased

Already Hungarian and Sicilian forces were fighting against the daring Duke, who was heavily outnumbered.

Alas, the relief forces did not make it in haste to help Duke Valeriu, however they were assembled to give a major battle and aid the besieged in Nitra

29 September 1392, Niytra, Hungary

The Hungarian plains stretched broadly, the fields left unharvested because of the war. Upon them the two armies skirmished for days and death harvested his crop. The siege was put to a hold, since Nicolaie II Alexandru Basarab descended with his troops to break the siege that the Hungarian and Sicilian army had begun, after they defeated the majority of Duke Valeriu’s army.

Already there were numerous dead on the field and judging from the size of the armies, many more would meet their end eventually.

The trumpets blew and it was time once more to gamble on swordpoint. All it mattered was to stay alive and maybe make a name for themselves by taking the lives of the enemy.

Nicolaie II Alexandru assembled his flank, he would attempt to break the enemy and then focus on the center, hammering them like a nail.

As the archers fired their arrows, Nicolaie II led a unit of light cavalrymen unto the enemy, harassing them and causing disruption. It was then that he saw the royal banner of the King of Hungary and he saw an opportunity to engage him and conclude the battle more quickly, with the eventual rout of the enemy.

Fixated on him, Nicolaie II became isolated as nearby the cavalrymen engaged the enemy skirmishers, before the infantry could move in...

...it was then that he felt excruciating pain on his right arm and he looked to see a bloody mess: a crossbow bolt had penetrated his arm to such a degree, that he immediately threw his sword to the ground and lost his balance. His horse rose high on the air and threw him over, as truth be told, he was above average in weight. As he fell, the world became black...

....fortunately, the battle went in favor of the combined forces of Duke Valeriu and Cneaz Nicolaie II, despite the latter’s war accident. Unfortunately Nicolaie II , although the medics did their best to help their king, had suffered much from the crossbow bolt and a part of it still remained in his arm, leading to its eventual paralysis. This was the end of the days of war for Nicolaie II...

...but not the end days though of scheming and conspiring, putting more effort to see rebellious vassals being taken care of and as always his arch enemy, Basileus David.

Not always with success though

As the days passed and the war effort continued, his arm was taking a turn for the worse...it begun to take a color of black and the medics were most concerned. Nicolaie II however dismissed them, saying that the proposal to amputate his arm would cause the men to lose heart and that he would cover it until he could return to his castle and if there was need, attend it there. Not much was required after all to conclude the victory over the Hungarians.

He did though hope this war to end in haste as he was beginning to feel even more tired and the desire to succeed with his plot consumed him more... until one day, he was brought a letter

He read the letter with his left hand over and over again... the plan was to kill Basileus David with a pile of...manure... truly, he deserved such a death!! If only he could have been present when this happened... of course he would give the gold, he thought to himself!!

As the messenger left, he became more and more anxious for time to pass by and learn the resolution...would it work? Would someone leak the plot?

A month or so passed when another letter, this time from Basileia Romaion came..

As he commanded to open the letter, a foul smell filled the air and a piece of manure fell from the scroll

“Dear cousin!

I am truly impressed! Not only did you wish to assassinate me but also with...manure...? How ironic! It seems you Vlachs know well of manure but not how to utilize a plot, you see everyone knew along what you were doing and I had been informed but we wanted the coins to fund our wars so we led you to believe that it would go for you to kill me...I apologize...

You will have to do better than that next time but how will you, with one arm!

Basileus David of Basileia Romaion”

Nicolaie II cursed and spoke with obscenities... he would now be the ridicule of everyone! He immediately left back to Târgoviște, to the Curtea Domnească to recollect his thoughts, leaving in charge his marshal to command the war campaign.

The days that followed had not been any better for Nicolaie II Alexandru. The arm had become entirely blackened and the smell of decay was becoming more and more intense... his medics applied ointments and balms but to no avail. To Nicolaie II Alexandru it was the punishment of God for straying from his path: the scent of the blackened arm reminded him of the failed plot and how from greatness he fell to the pits...one day though he did not rise from his nurse bed and he fell into eternal sleep, leaving the realm to his uncle Cneaz Dracul and his little son Prince Mircea fatherless.

Last edited:
Hmmm, the king is dead and his relative still in power in the ERE. Will his successor continue the plot, or wait? I bet he will be amply rewarded when his mother then possible Basileia, dies...;)

Hmmm, the king is dead and his relative still in power in the ERE. Will his successor continue the plot, or wait? I bet he will be amply rewarded when his mother then possible Basileia, dies...;)

As Agne had a Weak Claim on the Empire, it would need either a child ruling the realm or some already succession war going on to join the fray...with Basileus David on the throne that was highly unlikely, he has placed good Catholic Palaiologos kinsmen as his vassals and they wont budge! The Empire has become a family business :)

But who knows what can happen, certainly though the manure plot was most fitting to happen in Nicolaie's reign!

Chapter 11: Let my rule begin!
Cneaz Nicolaie II Alexandru was no more. The Hand of Orthodoxy, as he was called by some, had perished by a battle wound, as it befitted a hero of his station. Of course, there were some who murmured that he attempted to kill his own cousin, with manure no less but that was pure slander. Nicolaie II Alexandru had proven himself as a worthy warrior of the faith and honored his blood bounds, proven by his deeds in aiding his kinsman Valeriu of Pecs.

Wallachia now though had a new ruler: it was Cneaz Dracul, brother of Vladislav the Strange and uncle of the late King. Who was King Dracul, fashioning such an ominous name?

He was a proud man and a cautious master diplomat, tutored by the famed Telegdi family into the art of court etiquette and diplomacy. He was known to be particularly handsome too, although his devotion to his family and being named Patriarch of the Basarab lineage did not cast a doubt about his fidelity to his wife, a Mongolian kinswoman to the ruling Golden Horde Dynasty which he chose himself when he became Boyar of Bihor a long time ago. He had dark sides though such as his famed arbitrary way of choosing decisions and his cynical view of religion, in contrast to his nephew. And, of course, as any master diplomat, he could evade subjects and give double meanings to his words, so he could annul them later on.

His wife on the other hand was athletic, brave, just ,zealous and kind. The only thing that perhaps kept her in the marriage, was her content attitude of life, otherwise a more goal driven woman would have had severe disagreements over her husband in decision making.

Crowned King at his 43rd year of his life, Cneaz Dracul would be the one to shape the destiny of Wallachia to even greater heights. Let us see though from where everything began:

13 June 1393
Curtea Domnească,Wallachia

I am King! Who would have thought this to happen when my name was chosen from many of Basarab lineage to ascend the throne? Yet again, the other possible candidate was my brother Iosif, but who would have chosen him though? I have had won the Council of Boyars with my rhetoric and promises of better and more prestigious seats and titles to fill their vanity. How easy it was to persuade them, some gold here, a promise there, and it was done.

It was truly sad for my nephew to find this fate. He was though overly idealistic and endangered himself..who cares about Byzantium’s domineering attitude towards the Ecumenical Patriarch? I have mine own Patriarch to ask favors of!

Speaking of favors, my kinsman Valeriu did not forget our kingdom’s aid on his little war to install a Hungarian noble as a Duke. He called yet again to the same war that claimed my nephew. Well, I will be more clever and accept, however I will stay right here in my castle!

Since I will stay in the castle, I better do useful things...like taking care for instance a matter that always annoyed me: my firstborn and most skilled son decided to marry a lowborn woman... I would have forgiven him if she had skills or she was most attractive but she is neither... it is time to set a task to my new spymaster, as well as delve myself into court intrigue!

22 August 1393

“Father! I need to speak to you immediately!!”

Cneaz Dracul was seated on his throne and rose when he saw his favorite son come to him with an angry look upon his face.

“Yes my son what is it... why are you so angry?” said Dracul looking at his son with genuine curiosity

“I cannot believe you decided to play dumb...with what right do you murder mine own wife?! I loved her with all my heart and...you ruined it!! Have you no shame?”

Prince Stelian, like his father, was brought up with favoring diplomacy over the sword. However this had gone too far... the whole court was appalled with this act of unjustified...death

“What are you talking about...did your wife die...how..?” replied Dracul, trying to hide his involvement

“Really now?! Why don’t you ask your carpenter who sawed the railings when Clara observed the view of the Carpathians, as she did each morning, and the next minute..she...she... I cannot describe it...” said Stelian, with tears beginning to fill his eyes

“My dear son...I am so sorry... I am innocent I swear, would you believe your father or some drunk carpenter looking to grab some easy money...”

Stelian looked at his father blankly.

“Why would the carpenter do such a thing... risk his head, accusing the King though father? This is a serious offense!”

Dracul smirked at the words of his son. He knew how he would convince his son

“Why my son, I am sure the carpenter did not do his work to repair the railings as he should have, which resulted with your beloved wife’s death...and what is more easier than to blame someone for a murder plot, ever since my nephew’s manure scandal, the king plots for everyone to die... well, the carpenter will, of course. He accused his king of murder and what is more, he failed at his work and led to the death of the wife of the royal prince, also punishable by death... I will carry the sentence immediately!!”

Stelian was baffled...

“Try to forget about it my son, will you? You will mourn, but already luck will shine upon you! You are the son of a great King! Already, the Khagan offered to present one of his family as a potential bride...she might be arranged to another of your brothers but think about it yourself..and as wedding dowry, I shall give you the Voivodate of Karvuna!”

Stelian mellowed. An entire Duchy would be his, just to forget Clara... his instinct told him that father was not entirely innocent but the payoff was too good to be denied...

3 September 1393

“Măreție(Greatness)! Măreție(Greatness)!The Princess from the Golden Horde Khaganate has arrived!!”

Today would be a day of joy! My son will marry someone important and not lowborns... indeed, the Mongolian Princess is a solemn nice young lady, kind, humble, gregarious... although her religious ambitions do make me concerned, hopefully she will not make my son a fanatic and she will constrict herself only to Bible reading... now though, we are allied to the Golden Horde and its great steppe warriors!!

22 March 1394

Cneaz Dracul held session with his Council of Boyars, who all saw with great admiration their King, although doubted some of his spur of the moment decisions.

“Domnul meu(my lord), our war against Hungary was a success and the Hungarian noble claimed his rightful seat as Duke...However...it was rumored and it came to be true that he was an imbecile...he swore fealty and became a Catholic the second he sat upon his ducal seat.”

Dracul let a sigh. Then he thought about it over... an imbecile or clever man? He took the throne and for protection he swore fealty to the King of Hungary. In terms of changing the boundaries of Hungary though, the war was a failure

“So much for my nephew to lose his life for... what else is there?”

“Nothing else my liege, although the Khagan requests sooner or later for you to send troops as you promised for him to fend off the invasion of Cumania from his kinsman, a tribal warlord from Turkestan...”

“Yes..yes..I will someday...session dismissed!”

22 April 1394

At the Throne Room, a large map covering the areas of Wallachia, Hungary and the nearby realms, was open upon a table. Various wooden soldiers were stationed and Dracul with his Marshal talked about a new war the king had begun for Pest, to appease a troublesome vassal.

The Chancellor though burst in and called for the King

“My Cneaz! I am sorry to barge in but I have news for you that are... the least peculiar!”

“So you say...a virgin wears armor, professes holy war upon Catholics and heathens alike and wishes to speak to me... dear Lord, what else will I see... very well, let her in”

The Maid Vasilica spoke on and on about the trampling of Orthodoxy by the Catholics and how the other Orthodox rulers are doing nothing for it, save for the Basarab family and Wallachia with their war to restore the Ecumenical Patriarch to his rightful position, and then the deliberate insult of Basileus David to his person.

Dracul looked Vasilica with awe. He could not believe what effect all these actions could have to the common people... he was so impressed that he decided to play along the zealot, only so that he too will get to be admired in the same fashion as it was done for his nephew Nicolaie II!!

(It helped Dracul raise the taxes to his feudal vassals, who became inspired by the newly founded zealotry of their liege)

With time Vasilica became a heroine to Vlach tradition as she also tutored Prince Mircea, the son of the late King Nicolaie II Alexandru, to become a great warrior who one day would also defend the faith with his prowess.

But this story is about the Basarabs and Dracul now in particular.

After therefore the meeting with Vasilica, Dracul considered the great gift he had in his hands and saw opportunities to expand once more.

He was informed that the brother of Valeriu,the Duke of Pecs, Costin had come of age and he too had a strong claim to the Duchy... in fact should his claim was pressed, he would acknowledge Dracul as his liege lord and add Pecs to the Wallachian domain.

Dracul, the cunning grey eminence he was, invited Costin Petrescu to his court and wed his daughter to him.

He would prepare in time to declare war on Valeriu.... however, the celebration of the wedding was in order and the wishes to be bestowed upon the newly wed for their marriage!

Truly a splendid feast was held and dance and music lightened the Royal Court. However as with all feasts, ale and wine flowed freely to enjoy and toast to the couple... goblet after goblet and it did not take long for awkward situations to arise and bring temptation to the devout...

Last edited:
Vasilica the Maid proves that Dracul's approach to being an ally in a war may pay off. Marmaros surely suffers the most from the Tengris in Cumania.

A sad thing Nicolaie II died for nothing, but what does one expect from a cynic, imbecile or not, else then using faith as means to an end? As plotting is not crowned by success in Wallachia, it certainly does Dracul some good to return to feasts - that always had some positive surprise for the Basarabs.

Vasilica the Maid proves that Dracul's approach to being an ally in a war may pay off. Marmaros surely suffers the most from the Tengris in Cumania.

A sad thing Nicolaie II died for nothing, but what does one expect from a cynic, imbecile or not, else then using faith as means to an end? As plotting is not crowned by success in Wallachia, it certainly does Dracul some good to return to feasts - that always had some positive surprise for the Basarabs.

The appearance of Vasilica the Maid could not have come at a better time: the realm relied on its warrior kings and had no need of a supply of able marshals, leading to the appearance of statesmen, stewards and whatnot. It is yet to be seen if the zealous facade of Dracul will last and hide the flaws of cowardice and arbitrary decicions that characterize him.

As of Nicolaie II, perhaps his game master nature took over and decided to gamble with the plot for Basileus David...but as with gambles, there is victory and loss, and he paid with his life. I must say though I did not expect him to die at 35 , his health was probably affected by his stressed nature and his maimed arm dealt the mortal blow. Perhaps a less immediate action would have been to support Orestes Palaiologos, the Fraticelli kinsman, but he had been inflicted by a disease so he probably would not have the time to pursue his claim.

Thank you for following! I try to simplify the claim wars and explain how they came to be, because in CKII and at that time era, they are the most important way of gaining land. I have to admit though that I see the arbitrary trait in the Basarab as hereditary from Ioan at the start!!

Is the king hitting on his stepmum, or am I misunderstanding the last picture?

Chapter 12: An Empire of Carpathia

“My lord, ah, how handsome you are once more this evening!! Truly your Highness knows how to win the hearts of the ladies without even lifting a tip of your finger!!”

Princess Agne of Byzantium burst out laughing. She was obviously drunk.

“Why have you forsaken your marital duties all this time... Am I not as attractive as I once was before I gave birth to our son, Mircea? The one to restore Orthodoxy to the world!! Was it because the manure did not kill my brother, Basileus David? Of course it did not, he is manure himself!! Fighting fire with fire?!”

Again she laughed on her own, then she sobbed to tears.

Dracul took pity on her. The poor woman became devastated with her husband’s death, his nephew, and obviously due to drinking she thought it was him. In fact, it was not the first time someone mentioned their resemblance....

....he could of course take advantage of the situation and have an heir to Basileia Romaion one day. It was an interesting prospect.

As he was thinking, she made a move to kiss him, although a clumsy one. It was then that he made his decision....

“Agne, you are drunk, I am sorry I am not Nicolaie II... guards, escort her to her room and see that she is well.”

The guards promptly took her to her chambers, while she protested laughing and crying in between. Fate had struck her cruely.

Two years later

The war for Pest was concluded with the help of Vasilica the Maid, who God knows how, had excellent knowledge of castle siege and by digging tunnels underneath the stronghold, she captured the main tower from the Hungarians and victory was complete. The Duke of Ungvar and Pest, Carol Telegdi was most pleased, although his stout declaration of the Catholic faith disturbed the other Wallachian nobles.

Cneaz Dracul summoned a Council of Boyars to assembly to inform them of the new war Wallachia will participate

As the Boyars and Voivodes took their seat, Dracul from his throne began his speech

“As you well know, among our court is an able young man, of Basarab lineage named Costin Peterescu. In recognition of his talent, I have married my daughter to him and he in return has promised to pledge his allegiance. To fulfill this pledge, it is necessary for us to declare war on Valeriu Basarab to press the claim of Costin upon his Duchy...”

Some of the Boyars protested, saying that this could be considered a breach of the oath of alliance amongst kinsmen, to help each other in times of need.

“I do not really care... I know that Costin Peterescu Basarab has pledged the Duchy of Pecs to become a vassal of the Wallachian Kingdom and to this reason I see it more important than a verbal promise. Besides, we have helped Valeriu in the past to install the imbecile Hungarian Duke of Niytra, who then returned to the Kingdom of Hungary...so my obligation has been done. Besides he refused in repetition the call to become my vassal on the grounds of him being Hungarian and not required by law to become one...”

The Council was divided. A part insisted that this was a stab in the back while others agreed we had every right to declare war on Valeriu Basarab.

In the end, the decision was made and the war for the Duchy of Pecs to be a vassal of Wallachia had begun.

Some months after

“Măreție(Greatness)! The forces have been gathered and we are ready to march to Pecs! However, it is with great regret that I tell you that the King of the Bulgars, Tomislav, decided to declare war upon us for his claim on Karvuna!!”

Dracul Basarab grew pale...his forces were not enough to fight both Valeriu and Tomislav at the same time. Besides, the Bulgars had a marginal superiority in numbers and should they cross the Danube...

Once again, the war would be decided which force would hurry to pass the great river. The warleaders estimated that Tomislav would need a few months to gather his troops and then move against him. Therefore, as they advised, Dracul could weaken the armies of Valeriu and then proceed with haste to Severin and make their stand.

The King agreed, as his wisdom was only restricted in politics. For better or worse, he gathered the Jews of Wallachia and imposed a mandatory loan of 300 gold coins, to fund his war.

Indeed the first signs of this plan were filled with hope: Vasilica the Maid achieved victory over the forces of the Duke of Pecs in Ursova.

With a forced march, the Wallachian troops positioned themselves on the banks of the Danube river where it was reported that the Bulgarian army would cross from Nikopolis, into the Wallachian mainland.

26 January 1398
Craiova, Wallachia

The Wallachians had deployed their troops along the Danube awaiting the influx of the Bulgarians who had not only the task to cross the major river, but also to defend themselves while they landed across it. King Tomislav of Bulgaria dismissed the advice of his counselors, saying that the Wallachians were merely some mountain skirmishers and once the Bulgarian heavy infantry took in charge, they would scatter in the wind.

Besides, the Wallachians had in their employment the Bulgarian Band and their allegiance was fickle. He had arranged at the most decisive moment for their defection, if not their turn of cloak and attack on the Wallachians themselves.

Vasilica the Maid inspired the troops in their defensive war against the Bulgars, raising their morale and giving them focus on targeting with flame arrows the rafts that would cross the Danube.

The speech was interrupted when news arrived that a part of the Bulgars had already crossed from the night the Danube and were heading towards the army.

What happened next was a bloodbath for equally both sides.

The morale drifted from both sides and as expected, the Bulgarian Band routed at a time when it was most needed. Fortunately though, Vasilica’s passion and demeanor held the lines and with the charge of the Wallachian Gusars, the remaining Bulgarians suffered considerable losses.

In the end, the battle was won by Wallachia and this decisive victory set the course for the war!

After the victory of Craiova, the Paulicians of Moldau decided it was a good time to rebel against the Orthodox Wallachians, a revolt though which was short lived despite the considerable size of the revolutionaries.

The Bulgarian-Wallachian War for Karvuna lasted only 2 years and King Tomislav was obligated to pay war damages, which part of them were given back to the Jews, with interest.

Meanwhile, as all these wars were engaged, the King of Serbia was troubled by an internal war of his own, when a pretender to the throne was fighting for his place to rule Serbia. Verily, this was another opportunity to expand to the south as Cneaz Dracul had a weak claim on the throne himself, being a descendant of Malina Nemanjic, Princess of Serbia!

“King of Vlachs and Serbs...I like the title already! Of course I shall pursue my birthright!” thought Dracul

As months passed, the great deeds of Vasilica the Maid were recognized both from the Church and the Nobility and the people worshipped her as a living Saint.

Without the preoccupation of the Bulgarians, the war was directed entirely to the claim of Costin Peterescu for the Duchy of Pecs and after capturing the main castles, as well as the captivity of Duke Valeriu himself, the war was concluded.

The addition of the title of King of Serbia was to follow

Cneaz Dracul Basarab, through conquest, diplomacy and opportunity had managed what would only have been a wild dream: to expand Wallachia into the majority of the Hungarian lands and also be the King of Serbia and its Orthodox people.

To crown this major achievement for himself and his family, in a grand ceremony where each and everyone of his vassals attended, he was crowned by the Patriarch of Wallachia as the rightful ruler of the Empire of Carpathia!

Dracul Basarab was now Împăratul Carpației(Emperor of Carpathia)!

With this new role in the stage of medieval politics, Împărat Dracul Basarab now held the power to determine whether Orthodoxy would survive and grow strong or perish in a clash of religious upheavals and doubt by its followers. One thing was certain though: as long as Vasilica the Maid inspired the religious fervor of the Orthodox, Dracul Basarab would have to gain even more!

Last edited:
The Empire of Carpathia! Congratulations and well done!

Diplomacy and lies coupled with the miraculous Vasilica blessed Wallachia under Dracul. Now Emperor, facing the Khagan, Kaiser and most importantly Basileus as equal, the proud Vlach people as fervent defenders of the Orthodox faith have earned God's help to reach greatness.

It would be nice if the Ecumenical Patriarch would choose another protector now, but this would need David to fall to the Vlachs..

That's the best playthrough I've seen starting out with Wallachia in CK2. You were also quite lucky, despite the Byzantine assassination setback.

BTW: Here's some corrections to the grammar/names and some tips:

Curtea Domnească din Basarab -> Curtea Domnească de Basarab (din means from, as in location, so unless you intend to rename Curtea de Argeș to Basarab, it's going to be de)
Gusar -> Husar (pronounciation of slavic X falls squarely in the H camp)
Împăratul a Carpatia -> Împăratul Carpației (posessive is enclitic for the feminine, and the t is palatalized to ț - Empire of Carpathia = Imperiul Carpației / Carpathia = Carpația)
Timis -> Timiș (since you're using diacritics why not?)
Curtea de Arges -> Curtea de Argeș (same)
Galatz -> Galați
Tirgoviste -> Târgoviște
Birlad -> Bârlad
Iasi -> Iași
... and of course Wallachia in local spelling is Valahia

Try using more "Măria ta" to address the King/Emperor. The others work, but would be less common.

As for naming other provinces that don't have Romanian names:
Belgorod -> Cetatea Albă
Peresechen -> Soroca
Torki -> Baia (Suceava works too, but Baia is older)
Karvuna -> Cărvuna
Durostorum -> Dârsta/Dristor
Constantia -> Constanța
Feher -> Făgăraș
Bihar -> Bihor
Marmoros and Ungvar (duchy) -> Maramureș
Csanad -> Cenad
Bacs -> Baci
Pest -> Pesta
Spis -> Spiș
Heves -> No equivalent, but they'd probably call it Ieveș

The Empire of Carpathia! Congratulations and well done!

Thank you very much! Was it not for Serbia, the Empire would not have been formed as the King of Hungary is preoccupied fighting in wars he does not belong to, grasping his chair from the ultimate usurpation

Diplomacy and lies coupled with the miraculous Vasilica blessed Wallachia under Dracul. Now Emperor, facing the Khagan, Kaiser and most importantly Basileus as equal, the proud Vlach people as fervent defenders of the Orthodox faith have earned God's help to reach greatness.

It would be nice if the Ecumenical Patriarch would choose another protector now, but this would need David to fall to the Vlachs..

Dracul's charms surely have helped and especially Vasilica with her siege skills: the castles are well fortified and cannot fall so easily.

The conflict with the neighbors is inevitable, although I kind of doubt the Kaiser would have much interest in Wallachia, he is more interested at the moment to expand into Italy once again and reaching the Adriatic

That's the best playthrough I've seen starting out with Wallachia in CK2. You were also quite lucky, despite the Byzantine assassination setback.

BTW: Here's some corrections to the grammar/names and some tips:

My thanks, I am glad I have caught the attention of the Romanian viewers with this AAR! I have to admit there have been quite a few lucky moments such as the Mongol War of Independence which allowed me to grab Moldau, then form Wallachia and then the split of Serbia which otherwise I wouldnt be able to take the title. Vasilica too the Maiden did add to the AAR

Fortunately with one war or the other, Hungary was not able to recover and do a counter-attack, considering they had strong claims to all the Wallachian lands in the begining!

As of the grammatical propositions, I wil take them in mind and correct them where possible, as I am not a Romanian speaker at all and trying to read through translation from pages did not really help much, I am sure I would have made a mistake in the end :)

Glad to see that Feher was the famed Făgăraș that I was reading about! It was the very first county I expanded in with Vlach population and Orthodox religion!

This has been a great read. Magnificent ability to capitalize on fortune there! I've subbed this, and am looking forward to what is hopefully a bright and glorious future for the Orthodox Empire of Carpathia.

Great AAR, I've enjoyed it a lot as you've managed to succeed with a very difficult country.
I appreciate the effort of using Romanian language to give flavour to the AAR. You did very well!

I find it quite odd that the game gives "Dracul" as a choice of first name, given that "Drac" is the Romanian word for "Devil" while the suffix "-ul" is the definite article (so that makes Dracul = the Devil). True, historically it was the surname given to Vlad II of Wallachia (1436 - 1442, 1443 - 1447) after he was inducted into the Order of the Dragon by Emperor Sigismund of the HRE, and to the simple Romanian folk a dragon looked a lot like a devil. It eventually became the unofficial family name of its descendants, the "Drăculeşti" (sons of Dracul) branch of the Basarab dynasty, but it was never, EVER used as a given name in the Romanian lands, where the forces of religion and superstition still play a major role even today and the given name is a major part of the cult of the Saints and Archangels (many Romanians still regard the feast day of their own Saint-protector to be more important than their birthdays). Thus, having the first Emperor of Carpathia and protector of the true Orthodox Christianity named "The Devil" is a bit peculiar, though you could definitely use it for some more role playing.

Last edited:
This has been a great read. Magnificent ability to capitalize on fortune there! I've subbed this, and am looking forward to what is hopefully a bright and glorious future for the Orthodox Empire of Carpathia.

Welcome to this AAR and thank you for subscribing!

So far the Orthodox Empire of Carpathia has a sizeable army but nothing compared to Byzantium and of course the Holy Roman Empire which can command as much as 50 thousand troops.

Great AAR, I've enjoyed it a lot as you've managed to succeed with a very difficult country.
I appreciate the effort of using Romanian language to give flavour to the AAR. You did very well!

I find it quite odd that the game gives "Dracul" as a choice of first name, given that "Drac" is the Romanian word for "Devil" while the suffix "-ul" is the definite article (so that makes Dracul = the Devil). True, historically it was the surname given to Vlad II of Wallachia (1436 - 1442, 1443 - 1447) after he was inducted into the Order of the Dragon by Emperor Sigismund of the HRE, and to the simple Romanian folk a dragon looked a lot like a devil. It eventually became the unofficial family name of its descendants, the "Drăculeşti" (sons of Dracul) branch of the Basarab dynasty, but it was never, EVER used as a given name in the Romanian lands, where the forces of religion and superstition still play a major role even today and the given name is a major part of the cult of the Saints and Archangels (many Romanians still regard the feast day of their own Saint-protector to be more important than their birthdays). Thus, having the first Emperor of Carpathia and protector of the true Orthodox Christianity named "The Devil" is a bit peculiar, though you could definitely use it for some more role playing.

Thank you for your kind words!

I have to admit I am guilty of naming the son Dracul, the game does not have such a name(I think it has Dragan or some sort), more with the interpretation of a localized-Romanian version of "Dragon". Of course, in the Middle Ages a Dragon could have been related with dark forces and the Devil, but I was not so aware the latter interpretation was the major one. In the next chapter I have a semi-plausible explanation for the name, although the name did serve its purpose very well!

Quite interesting information on the origin of the name as I did wonder if the famed Vlad II Tepes had the above name given to him as in baptized but I see this scenario is now excluded :)