• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds like it'd be a team effort then.

Well, before you think about a HoI3 conversion you should focus on driving the British off the Asian continent! And North America is still unconquered.

Regarding the whole Vladiwostok(?) story: It would be hilarious if you conquer the whole Pacific coast from Russia and Germany takes their baltic one. Just imagine a land-locked Russia! In any case, you might consider taking their Mongolian lands to renew the role of China as Protector of the Steppe tribes.

Well, before you think about a HoI3 conversion you should focus on driving the British off the Asian continent! And North America is still unconquered.

Regarding the whole Vladiwostok(?) story: It would be hilarious if you conquer the whole Pacific coast from Russia and Germany takes their baltic one. Just imagine a land-locked Russia! In any case, you might consider taking their Mongolian lands to renew the role of China as Protector of the Steppe tribes.

Mongolia is already under Qing control. And more likely Russia's Baltic provinces ones are going to gain independence when I (hopefully) Dismantle Russia later in the game after I've researched Mass Politics. But that won't happen until the 1900s. XD

What's happening with the Panama Canal? Are you looking into building that?

Colombia is sphered, I don't have all the techs yet though. XD Same with Suez and Egypt.

I definitely need to get the canals built ASAP, they will greatly improve China's power projection capability. At the very least, I want them ready for when Great Wars start, so I can if necessary mount a naval landing in the British Isles (since AI Germany seems utterly incapable of doing so).

Speaking of which, I should note a house rule I will probably utilize much later in the game:

If I put a country until total occupation, I will allow myself to cheat and bypass the 100% warscore limit for peace terms. (by consoling in as the AI and forcing it to accept) I will define total occupation as both their homeland, and all major colonies occupied. I will define a major colony as anything easily visible on a map; i.e. I.e. if I want to force Britain to capitulate to wargoals for 200%, I'd have to occupy every last province in British India, every last province in British Africa, etc. but I wouldn't have to hunt down every last tiny Pacific island in the middle of nowhere. This is meant to represent a situation in which the country is so totally occupied that China wouldn't need the enemy to agree to a peace treaty, they can just unilaterally enforce their will and there is nothing left of the nation to refuse it. I'd still get huge amounts of infamy for doing that, so it should realistically simulate the resulting international outrage.

Last edited:
Colombia is sphered, I don't have all the techs yet though. XD Same with Suez and Egypt.

I definitely need to get the canals built ASAP, they will greatly improve China's power projection capability. At the very least, I want them ready for when Great Wars start, so I can if necessary mount a naval landing in the British Isles (since AI Germany seems utterly incapable of doing so).

Speaking of which, I should note a house rule I will probably utilize much later in the game:

If I put a country until total occupation, I will allow myself to cheat and bypass the 100% warscore limit for peace terms. (by consoling in as the AI and forcing it to accept) I will define total occupation as both their homeland, and all major colonies occupied. I will define a major colony as anything easily visible on a map; i.e. I.e. if I want to force Britain to capitulate to wargoals for 200%, I'd have to occupy every last province in British India, every last province in British Africa, etc. but I wouldn't have to hunt down every last tiny Pacific island in the middle of nowhere. This is meant to represent a situation in which the country is so totally occupied that China wouldn't need the enemy to agree to a peace treaty, they can just unilaterally enforce their will and there is nothing left of the nation to refuse it. I'd still get huge amounts of infamy for doing that, so it should realistically simulate the resulting international outrage.

It's not like they could do anything, though, I mean... CHINA!

I approve of that house rule.:)

Part 41: The Tributary Network Expands

The newly restored King of Burma Mindon Min was crowned in Burma's capital, with the full blessings of Xianfeng and several prominent Chinese diplomats in attendance. He had a difficult task ahead of him - British rule had left almost all the Burmese people in a state of dire poverty, and the situation was not helped by thousands of Burmese refugees fleeing from British Burma to Burma proper. He needed to rebuild Burma's economy, and modernize it.

King Mindon Min was grateful to the Chinese for restoring him to his throne, though he was less than pleased at his status as an effective puppet. He did his best to build a new army for Burma, but quite simply his nation was too small; any of his neighbors, even Siam, could effortlessly overrun Burma, leaving the King totally dependent on Chinese protection. He was also forced to send yearly tribute missions to China, which inhibited his attempts to rebuild the Burmese economy. Thankfully, China's advisers did prove a significant help, at least in the King's efforts to modernize the country. And other than demanding tribute, the Qing refrained from any unasked-for interference in Burma's internal affairs, a welcome relief to countless Burmese who had undergone horrific suffering under direct British and British East India Company colonial rule.

Mindon hoped that someday Burmese independence and greatness would be fully restored, but he knew it was unlikely he would live to see such a day.

Meanwhile in China's homeland, anarchists remained a dangerous force. But on a more less rebellious note, a few Qing intellectuals were coming to support even more drastic reforms of the Chinese educational system. They argued that if the exams were ever to become truly meritocratic and ensure the best talents were the ones awarded degrees, China must provide all its people with public education. This however faced serious resistance among the entrenched Qing elite, who did not want to give up their privileges; and it would be many years before the idea of was even brought to the Emperor's attention.

(current great power list, for anyone interested)

In Africa, meanwhile, Chinese efforts were proceeding well. The Sultan of Hobyo had formally agreed to sign a protectorate, in exchange for the Qing giving control of Mogadishu to him. All the peoples of Benin, Zambezi, the Niger Delta, and North Cameroon also agreed to sign, or found themselves conquered by their neighbors who did agree. The new Chinese protectorates effectively came under direct Chinese control, though administered by the natives themselves. China planned to construct new, modern governmental systems that would unite the various small tribes and nations into larger more technologically modernized nations, that could effectively protect their own territories from European aggression.

The Qing also extended their control over central Borneo using similar methods, and established a military and naval outpost on Wake Island near Hawaii.

The Qing economy was still growing steadily, but supply disruptions were very negatively effecting profitability; the British had almost a total monopoly on the world's dye supply, leaving the Chinese textile industry heavily reliant on state subsidies for when those supplies often failed to materialize. The Chinese Emperor offered a rich reward for any inventors who could find a way for China to end its reliance on British dyes, though it would still be many years before Chinese science mastered the production of synthetic dyes. Some generals proposed a full-scale liberation of India as soon as the truce with Britain expired, but the option was rejected as too unrealistic.

At the very least, though, China dominated the globe's luxury clothing industry.

Still, Beijing especially was fast becoming a heavily industrialized city, with tens of thousands of workers hard at work in Qing factories. The Qing also made very large investments in railroads and factories abroad, especially in China's tributaries, in an attempt to both aid in modernizing China's tributaries, as well as to extend China's economic influence abroad. (and hopefully persuade more nations to become tributaries)

The Chinese efforts to civilize Borneo along Chinese lines occurred with shocking speed; the people of Borneo had already had very strong trade ties with China going back into the distant past, as far back as the 500s AD, and Chinese representatives saw much of their own cultural influence present. Soon, the Chinese conferred a convention of all the major Chinese tributaries within Borneo. They elected a monarch to unite them all, and declared a "Republic" of Borneo - to be ruled by an elected monarch with absolute power. China granted the newly united nation total autonomy, and many advisers to assist them in modernizing.

New Guinea soon fell to Qing authority as well. The British had attempted the colonize the region, but that had only backfired - the Chinese had replied to the affront by sending massive quantities of military equipment and a few officers to the island's people to offer them assistance against the British, with the end result being that the British colony's garrison was completely overwhelmed, and the colony burned to the ground with the few survivors being ransomed to Britian at an exorbitant rate. The British threatened retribution with a much larger force, and the various peoples of New Guinea hurriedly signed a protectorate agreement with China that forced the British to cancel the planned expedition.

And China's efforts to modernize its navy continued.

China's rise to power seemed unstoppable, but the Chinese were growing increasingly concerned about America's steadily rising power. Helped by immigration and its vast, rich, territory, America's population and industrial might had been growing steadily, and they still refused to back down from their claims to rightful control over Fusang - or as they still called it, California. Many Chinese military planners argued the United States needed to be cut down to size before they could make good on their threats against China; the barbarians could not be trusted, and would inevitably attack China for Fusang sooner or later. A preemptive strike was not just an option, they said, but a necessity. Various different plans were offered by Qing military planners.

One particularly ambitious one caught the Emperor's attention - New York was the largest city in all the Americas, a vast center of commerce and industry, and a major port. Taking New York would drastically enhance China's prestige, power projection capability, and the vast industrial wealth of the city would prove a model to assist in modernizing China. It would also wreak untold damage to America's power, economy, and prestige, effectively removing the Americans as a threat. More sensible generals called it a ludicrous option, and presented alternate plans for taking the pacific coast or enforcing disarmament on the Americas; New York was too far away to be defensible, they insisted. The closest Chinese bases were in the Niger Delta, and even those were only loosely controlled, with the construction of modern ports unfinished. However, Xianfeng's expansionist ambitions were growing more and more grandiose by the day, emboldened by the victory over the British; and he was enamored with the idea making New York a Chinese city. Some said he even dreamed of conquering the entire United States in the name of China one day, and thus forging a mighty empire that would surpass even the Yuan dynasty in size. Xianfeng approved the plan regardless of the contrary advice, and China immediately began a quiet military buildup in Fusang.

And Chinese diplomacy began fabricating a pretext for declaring it a preemptive strike, so that Germany would be required to join the war. (with mixed success, admittedly)

And in Africa, Chinese and Chinese-aligned forces were meanwhile rapidly extending control into the heart of the African interior.

Last edited:
NY under the Chinese? :eek: That surely will make them your eternal enemy.:p

So you're bringing in Germany - who is the U.S. going to be bringing in?

The United States of Central America is their only relatively important ally at this point, I think. I think they're also allied with Liberia.

New-York ?!

For the sake of pretty borders take the Pacific Coast but leave NY alone :p

They have barely any pops or industry on the Pacific coast, so taking Washington/Oregon wouldn't do me much good. XD

The United States of Central America is their only relatively important ally at this point, I think. I think they're also allied with Liberia.

They have barely any pops or industry on the Pacific coast, so taking Washington/Oregon wouldn't do me much good. XD

But the ... borders :sad:

New York? Take it by all means, but don't forget to give the USA new immigration ports for storyline purposes if you succeed. I don't think you will let them keep Ellis Island, after all.

Can you create that one New York puppet state or is that only in POP Demand?