• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 18: The First Sino-Japanese War​

(small note on history vs. the game; in Victoria 2, the capital of Japan is represented as being in Edo (modern day Tokyo), due to the fact that that was the seat of the Tokugawa Shogunate, the de facto rulers of Japan at game start. However, until the Meiji Restoration, Kyoto was officially the capital of Japan, being the seat of the Emperor. Tokyo only offically became the capital of Japan after the Meiji Emperor moved court to Tokyo in the wake of the Meiji Restoration)

A grand invasion army and fleet was rapidly assembling in southern Korea. The 1st, 2nd, and 9th divisions would all take part in the invasion together. And a newly expanded Qing navy would ensure its save arrival.

Finally, all was ready.

As the Qing fleet arrived on the Japanese coastline, the Qing Emperor in Beijing formally issued a decree of war upon Japan. Isolationist Japan didn't hear of the decree until after the invasion commenced, but that was hardly the Emperor's concern. The goal of the war was to take the Japanese capital Kyoto, and the surrounding regions of Kansai. Doing so would split Japan in two, and drive the newly empowered Emperor from his capital.

General Hesehn Shangzhi led the first landing, catching an unprepared Japanese garrison by surprise. The Japanese had been wary of foreign invasion, but they had expected nothing more than a small Western expeditionary force from the Americans or the like, not to be outnumbered by a full scale invasion of 39,000 Chinese.

The Battle of Nagasaki was an absolute slaughter; over 12,000 Japanese soldiers died, with only a few thousand Chinese deaths. The Japanese had rapidly reintroduced widespread usage of firearms in their armed forces after the appearance of the Americans, but they were ultimately still a traditional army of Samurai. They had not the discipline or tactical training of the Chinese forces, nor the more modern firearms that all the invasion forces were armed to the teeth with. Worse, they'd been caught off guard and outnumbered.

Hesehn Shangzhi pursued the broken enemy army relentlessly, and finally cornered them in Yamaguchi, forcing them to surrender without any shots fired.

Yamaguchi quickly fell to the Chinese invasion forces, and Hesehn continued on towards Kyoto, even as more Japanese divisions piled onto the mainland. Soon, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, and Kumamoto also fell.

However, the Japanese rapidly brought up reinforcements and laid siege to Yamagushi. While the Chinese navy guarded against any Japanese crossing at their rear, Hesehn moved to break the siege. The Chinese, however, found themselves outnumbered after further Japanese reinforcements arrived, and General Hesehn was forced to call for reinforcements - the Japanese had learned quickly from Nagasaki, and fought fiercely to repel the Chinese assault.

In the end, the superior Chinese discipline won the day, but it had been a narrow victory, with far more Chinese than Japanese dead. But as always, the Chinese Empire could better afford the losses.

Oboi Xiangying meanwhile had much better success, annihilating a Japanese army utterly and decisively; once again proving his great skills as a general.

The Japanese were unperturbed by their defeat, relentlessly mounting another attack upon Yamaguchi. This time, though, the Chinese generals did not fall for the bait; instead they surrounded the Japanese forces, allowing them to successfully retake Yamaguchi only to find themselves surrounded by rapidly reinforcing Chinese armies. With the Chinese navy dominating the seas, the Japanese were faced with a hopeless choice - either attempt a breakout against one of the Chinese armies only to be flanked on all sides by the other two, or sit and wait until the limitless supply of Chinese reinforcements left them hopelessly outnumbered..

The aging Daoguang Emperor was pleased to hear the bulk of the Japanese army was trapped. He was also pleased to hear that his land reform program was having the expected results, as farmers and peasants increasingly started taking advantage of designs for agricultural implements common in the west, making their own replicas and putting them to use. Fruit and grain production both increased significantly.

After another month passed with the Japanese trapped, the Chinese generals finally felt they had gained enough reinforcements to be sure of victory, and Hesehn took command of the assault, while another division of the New Model Army guarded against any further surprise rounds of Japanese reinforcements.

The victory was an incredibly bloody one, but the Chinese Empire could much better afford the horrific casualties than Japan; despite the Chinese losses being larger, there were less than half as many Japanese survivors.

Fu Shangzhi meanwhile had won a crushing victory against a Japanese relief force, sent to save the entrapped army.

Hesehn and Fu coordinated a furious pursuit into Matsue, and once again the Japanese armies were left so disorganized by their earlier defeat that they put up little fight. The survivors fled once more, but the Kōmei Emperor had finally had enough of the horrific suffering of his people.

The bulk of the Japanese army had been wiped out, and China had access to a seemingly limitless supply of reinforcements. The Japanese Emperor could see the inevitable fate, and knew he must negotiate before the whole country fell and the Chinese expanded their wargoals. The Chinese Emperor demanded Kyoto was handed over before any ceasefire was agreed to, and the Kōmei Emperor reluctantly fled to Edo, former seat of the Shogunate, as Chinese occupation forces took over the Japanese capital without a shot being fired. The Chinese formally agreed to a temporary ceasefire, pending formal treaty negotiations.

Western powers descended on the defeated Japan like wolves, demanding further concessions from Japan, but China rebuffed their attempts to take over the negotiations. Eventually, after much political maneuvering, China and Japan signed a peace treaty in Kyoto under the following terms, with many Western diplomats as co-signatories:

1. Kyoto would be formally ceded to China in perpetuity.
2. Japan would formally send an emissary to Beijing to perform the kow-tow every year, acknowledging Qing superiority. Language implying that Japan would be a tributary or vassal of China was removed at the demand of the Western powers, so the kow-tow would be purely ceremonial. Japan would also accept the presence of embassies from all the European great powers, establishing a Legation Quarter similar to China's.
3. Japan would permanently end Sankoku Law, and all of Japan's Unequal Trade treaties with Western Powers would be re-enforced. China, however, did not seek to be included in these treaties, as the whole concept was foreign and largely abhorrent to the Daoguang Emperor. Concepts like "treaty ports" were nonsensical to the Emperor - Kyoto would not be a "treaty port", it would be a part of China's sovereign territory. Concepts like extraterritoriality were meaningless to a China that had long considered citizens who left the country to be deserters, and China still had little interest in international trade, being largely self-sufficient other than food and weapon imports.
4. Japan would pay extensive reparations for all the foreign property and people harmed or inconvenienced by the forceful expulsion of Europeans they had conducted during the Kōmei Restoration.

The treaty was named the Kyoto Convention, and it would define Japanese foreign relations well into the future.

The Kyoto Convention proved to be the culmination of years of Chinese modernization efforts and diplomacy, as the European barbarians finally began to perceive China as a "civilized nation"; China's decisive action in Japan had made it clear to all that its presence in international affairs could no longer be dismissed, and that the West could gain much from accepting China as an equal. (and stand to lose much if they failed to do so)

(and yes, spoilers, I will hit the Westernize button with the next update, now that I've wringed nearly 10,000 research points from Japan)

Last edited:
Wow! That's a lot of RP! Also, Happy New Years.

Part 19: The Middle Kingdom

The Daoguang Emperor announced the re-centralization of Chinese government, rending the Unequal Treaties signed by local authorities null and void. All provincial militias were dissolved, and the soldiers within would eventually be slated to join the New Model Armies. He expelled all foreign military missions, and announced a sweeping program of state-run healthcare reform. The aging Emperor had decided to cut all ties with the Conservatives and embrace the reformers.

China had finally entered the modern world, as a diverse multiethnic and prosperous state, with a territorial mass it had not known since Yuan. And even the Yuan had proved unable to crush the Japanese. The reactionary old guard was dying out, and a new generation of Chinese elite was slowly growing up to a modernized Confucian curricula. Peasants were increasingly using new, modernized tools and getting dramatically increased crop yields with which to feed their families. The Qing military staff luxuriated in the glory of conquest, a glory many had thought would never again await the Qing.

Under the circumstances of total Qing triumph, both the Chinese people and the West could no longer live in the past. The Chinese people accepted Manchu rule and the introduction of new technologies, or quieted their disagreements. And the West had finally largely accepted China as a "civilized" country, at least officially - though racism in the West was as strong as ever, and the Emperor knew many still looked down upon China with extraordinary disdain. Qing China had survived impossible circumstances, and risen again stronger than ever before.

But the Emperor knew this was not over; many reforms were still needed. He was old, and knew he would die soon - there was no time to waste. And so the Daoguang Emperor formally proclaimed The Hundred Days, a period of drastic state-led modernization to industrialize China.

(OK. The Hundred Days will be in another update, but I wanted to go OOC for a while here, to discuss the situation China finds itself in and what needs to be done)

OK. First of all, China has only 15 years or so until the Scramble for Africa is likely to kick into high gear (the point when Machine Guns become available). China also has an absolutely garbage literacy rate that it needs to fix ASAP. So here are all the technologies China needs to get by 1870, or failing that very soon after 1870:

Everything in the Philosophy Tree up to Empiricism. This will boost my (really terrible) research rate.
Political Thought up to State & Government. This will give helpful inventions boosting plurality, which speeds research. And more importantly the Mission to Civilize invention, which is a prerequisite for colonizing Africa. They'll also give me extra NFs for boosting my (really low) clergy pops, which aren't even at 2% yet.
Social Thought up to Biologism. I need the Darwinism invention for the huge +50% education efficiency boost, which is the #1 most effective way I can increase my terrible literacy. If I want to crush all the European great powers, I need much higher literacy than I have now, so I can surpass them in military tech.
Chemistry and Electricity up to Medicine. Inventions from this tech grant huge boosts to pop growth that will help overwhelm the mass loss of pops I will soon suffer in emigration to America, and I need it for Prophylaxis against Malaria, another invention needed for the Scramble For Africa.
Light Armament up through Breech Loaded Rifles. Again, has an invention that's necessary if I want to participate in the Scramble For Africa; Colonial Negotiations.
As many techs in Naval Doctrine as I can get, as higher level ports mean more colonial power points, means the Europeans won't effortlessly overwhelm my attempts to colonize. I also can't leave these for last, as ports take a whopping three years or so to build.

And I have only 15 years to research all that, so I will be pretty much ignoring all other technologies.

And of course, I need to win a war against Sokoto for a concession, so I can colonize the Delta without having to leapfrog across half of Africa.

So yeah. I will be cutting it verrry close, but hopefully there is enough time.

Also, important note: China has NO Laissez Faire political parties, so late-game the economy is going to become very micromanagement-intensive.

Last edited:
Congratulations, you finally managed to reunite China under a single banner - and as a modern, western state as well! The First Emperors of China would be very proud of you right now!

I wonder, though: If I remember correctly, during your 18th update you had a bunch of reasons for fighting Japan, including taking Okinawa and things. Why did you "only" take their capital? Did you not want to prolong the war needlessly?

Second question: Is taking Africa so important in this game? You could, after all, spend the time on powering China instead to just take the colonies from them during Colonial wars later in the game.

Congrats on Westernizing, but are you really intending to get involved in the race for Africa?

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the game engine. Do colonies in Africa in particular give a bigger bonus than those in the South Pacific?

Congrats on westernizing! Well done!

China colonizing Africa is pretty unrealistic IMO

China colonizing Africa is pretty unrealistic IMO
only because of how hOw it turned out IRL

Had they had the incentive to colonize they could have totally done it. Here the incentive would be to gain access to African goods so Europeans don't gain a monopoly and to gain the respect of the barbarians.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Dragon rises in the east, much sooner than anyone could have expected! :p

Oh, now the "parody" between east and west should be fun to see play out with you at the helm! :cool:

only because of how hOw it turned out IRL

Had they had the incentive to colonize they could have totally done it. Here the incentive would be to gain access to African goods so Europeans don't gain a monopoly and to gain the respect of the barbarians.

Nope. Roleplay-wise, the objective will be turn the African nations into tributaries. The model will be Zheng He's treasure voyages.

My current plan is that ALL colonial provinces controlled by China will be either released as dominions or turned into states by the end of the game, as the notion of China becoming a traditional colonial power in this alternate history is absolutely absurd to me. The traditional Chinese ideal of a Sinocentric world order has no concept of racist colonialism whatsoever. It was instead an ethnocentric idealogy where all the civilized world was expected to pay homage and tribute to the Emperor as the (at least nominal) ruler of the entire civilized world, with China as the center of civilization (and barbarians who refuse to accept the tributary system at the fringes of the world). This Sinocentric world order was completely destroyed after endless humiliations at the hands of the Europeans and Japanese, and these traditional Chinese ideals eventually gave way to communist political ideals and Maoism. And later on China embraced a more traditional Western capitalist ideal, as Nikolai mentions above. But in this alternate history, none of those catastrophic defeats ever happened.

I see no reason why China would completely abandon the multi-millenia model of Sinocentrism in favor of a racist colonial model, in such an alternate history.

Last edited:
Nope. Roleplay-wise, the objective will be turn the Africans into tributaries. The model will be Zheng He's treasure voyages.

My current plan is that ALL colonial provinces controlled by China will be either released as dominions or turned into states by the end of the game, as the notion of China becoming a traditional colonial power in this alternate history is absolutely absurd to me. The traditional Chinese ideal of a Sinocentric world order has no concept of racist colonialism whatsoever. It is instead an ethnocentric ideal where all the civilized world is expected to pay homage and tribute to the Emperor as the (at least nominal) ruler of the entire civilized world, with China as the center of civilization (and barbarians who refuse to accept the tributary system at the fringes of the world). This Sinocentric world order was completely destroyed after endless humiliations at the hands of the Europeans and Japanese, and these traditional Chinese ideals eventually gave way to communist political ideals and Maoism. And later on China embraced a more traditional Western capitalist ideal, as Nikolai mentions above. But in this alternate history, none of those catastrophic defeats ever happened.

I see no reason why China would completely abandon the multi-millenia ideal of Sinocentrism in favor of a racist colonial model, in such an alternate history.

So a Chinese version of the Commonwealth?

Nope. Roleplay-wise, the objective will be turn the African nations into tributaries. The model will be Zheng He's treasure voyages.

My current plan is that ALL colonial provinces controlled by China will be either released as dominions or turned into states by the end of the game, as the notion of China becoming a traditional colonial power in this alternate history is absolutely absurd to me. The traditional Chinese ideal of a Sinocentric world order has no concept of racist colonialism whatsoever. It was instead an ethnocentric idealogy where all the civilized world was expected to pay homage and tribute to the Emperor as the (at least nominal) ruler of the entire civilized world, with China as the center of civilization (and barbarians who refuse to accept the tributary system at the fringes of the world). This Sinocentric world order was completely destroyed after endless humiliations at the hands of the Europeans and Japanese, and these traditional Chinese ideals eventually gave way to communist political ideals and Maoism. And later on China embraced a more traditional Western capitalist ideal, as Nikolai mentions above. But in this alternate history, none of those catastrophic defeats ever happened.

I see no reason why China would completely abandon the multi-millenia model of Sinocentrism in favor of a racist colonial model, in such an alternate history.

Yes, I was thinking of Zheng He too. But you will be doing it to get SOME resources, yes? After all, tributary state implies that tribute is given, and tribute could be anything. Including goods.

This I on my phone, BTW, so excuse any grammar mistakes.

Congrats on Westernizing, but are you really intending to get involved in the race for Africa?

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the game engine. Do colonies in Africa in particular give a bigger bonus than those in the South Pacific?

Yes. Specifically, the Niger Delta has the best concentration of rubber RGOs in the game, and virtually all late-game factories need rubber. (i.e. cars, airplanes, tanks)

And seeing as China has some of the highest pop density in the world, I'll need all the rubber I can get. Ideally I'd love to get a monopoly on rubber and have my factories eat through the entire world supply, but sadly that's not likely to be possible - there are a few large rubber RGOs in very hard-to-get spots, like one in the middle of Russia.

The only thing I'm likely to get from the South Pacific is fish, mainly, and some oil in Brunei. Though admittedly China has a huge unmet demand for fish, so getting ahold of some fish RGOs definitely wouldn't hurt.

Congratulations, you finally managed to reunite China under a single banner - and as a modern, western state as well! The First Emperors of China would be very proud of you right now!

I wonder, though: If I remember correctly, during your 18th update you had a bunch of reasons for fighting Japan, including taking Okinawa and things. Why did you "only" take their capital? Did you not want to prolong the war needlessly?

Second question: Is taking Africa so important in this game? You could, after all, spend the time on powering China instead to just take the colonies from them during Colonial wars later in the game.

Thanks!

Though I don't recall mentioning Okinawa? I did a Ctrl+F and can't find any mention of it, sorry.

But as for why, because I don't want Britain and Russia hitting me with containment wars yet. I specifically targeted Kansai because it has some of the highest population density in Japan. Though I do want to keep wars short, as infamy decay is higher in peacetime.

And yes, I could win Africa with the Place In the Sun cb, in theory. Unfortunately with the Victoria wargoal system, that would take a very, very large number of wars, unless I cheated to raise jingoism; you can only add a wargoal if your pops are jingoistic enough, and jingoism goes down every time you add a wargoal. So without cheating, I'd probably be limited to a handful of colonial states per war.

And even if I cheated, on the grounds that the jingoism requirement is rather ridiculous in many cases, it'd still take an absolutely huge number of diplo points and wars to conquer all of Africa starting from scratch.

Though the Infamy War system from the Total War mod might make that a bit easier, as the Dismantle CB lets you completely dismantle a nation's entire colonial empire. However, it's somewhat buggy and unreliable in my experience. In my last China game, I Dismantled Italy after a 1-on-1 war, and for some reason Germany got most of Italian Africa instead of me. (despite Germany not being in the war)

On the other hand, colonizing provides free prestige and infamy reduction (releasing Dominions reduces infamy, just like releasing Satellites), at effectively no cost.

The Dragon rises in the east, much sooner than anyone could have expected! :p

Oh, now the "parody" between east and west should be fun to see play out with you at the helm! :cool:

The Europeans will regret waking the Chinese dragon, of that I can assure you. =P

Last edited:
I personally regret that you took Kansai and not that southern most Nagasaki and Okinawa province, as it was the only one which, most importantly, didn't destroyed too much pretty borders. But great update nevertheless :)

I personally regret that you took Kansai and not that southern most Nagasaki and Okinawa province, as it was the only one which, most importantly, didn't destroyed too much pretty borders.
That wouldn't do against Japan IMO. The islanders needed a blow that would revert them to a tributary state status and annexing one remote province is not enough to show who truly rules the civilized world. In other words, Japan, the only potential rival for China in East Asia, needed to have its backbone broken.

Yes, I was thinking of Zheng He too. But you will be doing it to get SOME resources, yes? After all, tributary state implies that tribute is given, and tribute could be anything. Including goods.

This I on my phone, BTW, so excuse any grammar mistakes.

Yep. ^^ They'll be spheres, so by default I'll get first claim on their markets. And they'll be puppets of course, so they'll be contributing to my wars against the Europeans. Which will save me a lot of micromanagement hell when I'll eventually most likely be fighting simultaneous wars against half the planet; occupying the African colonies of a European great power provides abysmally low warscore anyway.

That wouldn't do against Japan IMO. The islanders needed a blow that would revert them to a tributary state status and annexing one remote province is not enough to show who truly rules the civilized world. In other words, Japan, the only potential rival for China in East Asia, needed to have its backbone broken.

Well, Kyushu isn't exactly a remote province ^^'
It's one of the most populous of Japan in game.