• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think we need some proof that it was party members from Il Pretoriani, before people start to disgrace us.

~Conte Maximillian, 2nd Conte of Annecy

After the Genova Riot, many previously skeptical citizens became convinced by Bonaretti's Hydra Theory. The so-called "Hydra Madness" swept over many of the kingdom's leading newspapers, which has absolutely nothing to do with the generous donations the Count made to each of them. Below is a cartoon from a state-run newspaper.

bSVvCyy.jpg

Bonaretti writes a public letter to Parassani

You say that the proper diagnosis to rebellion is to give more concessions. I say events have proved the opposite diagnosis. Already we have given an inch and the rabble rousers have taken a mile! If we were to give all the way, like Louis XVI did, we would be faced with utter anarchy. We must maintain order, control, and tradition, else blood will pour and heads will roll, just like they did in our neighbors.

You claim your party speaks for the people. Yet this is a falsehood and a lie. The common people wish to maintain order and stability so that their bellies will be full and they can contentedly live out their lives. The Jacobins and Bonapartists can only give them misery, despair, and bloodshed. They wish to maintain their Catholic traditions they have practiced for centuries, which the Freemasons and rationalists wish to strip from them.

You wonder why the Praetorani have been condemned. How could we, the Traditionalists, not condemn you? For you preach the return of Bonapartism and the forcible reunion of Italy, which will only drag us into war and chaos. I understand your desire to restore the glory of our kingdom- I too am shamed by our defeat at the hands of the mad emperor. But the way to rectify this injustice is to repudiate his ideology, not emulate it. Renounce Bonapartism for good and I will embrace you like a brother.

-Conte Bonaretti

Last edited:
((Attempting to leak secrets))

((Yeah, you just post with the thing you want to do. Be sure to bold it.))

((Did the Praetorians killed Maestro Antico's puppy or something?))

((No, they just run a rival political party.))

((They had time, I posted my vote for Independent several times (after not understanding the regions :blush:)). I was running in absentia and TH3 also said that, once elected, I couldn't be arrested, since Mazzini would be a deputy.))

((Caveat - you can't be arrested without the consent of the Parliament. It doesn't privilege you from all arrest whatever... So it might be better if you got out of town before they decide to carry out that death sentence.))

I think we need some proof that it was party members from Il Pretoriani, before people start to disgrace us.

~Conte Maximillian, 2nd Conte of Annecy

We (Il Pretoriani) have proved that it was Mazzini who started the riots and while the riots were supported by Il Pretoriani voters they were never party members.

We (Il Pretoriani) have proved that it was Mazzini who started the riots and while the riots were supported by Il Pretoriani voters they were never party members.
((Actually, you haven't. Mazzini is the main suspect, but it has not been proved.))
Mazzini decides that he should probably flee. Again.
"Damn you, aristocracy!"

"Geno,-a think I shall go and have a walk, eh? Have some fresh peas of ayre." —Mr. Anchovie

The crowd boos

"Oh, come now! That wasn't a joke?" —Mr. Anchovie

((Possibly a brick joke now, I suppose))

Last edited:
((Actually, you haven't. Mazzini is the main suspect, but it has not been proved.))
Mazzini decides that he should probably flee. Again.
"Damn you, aristocracy!"
((your own words "hah! These fools are chasing their own tail, crying wolf at the praetorians and ignoring us!"))

Address to the people of Val d'Aosta by Marzio Pedrotti...

...It has come to my attention that many individuals of Piedmonte support aggressive expansionism, but they fail to see that the very fabric of the idea is wrong on many levels. They simply do not care for the lives of their people and would rather them die in fruitless conquest than live peaceful, happy lives in their home country. I do not propose that we abolish the army, rather, I would argue that we should maintain a strong military, but rather than use it to terrorize other nations we should use it exclusively for our defense. I would encourage my comrades in isolationism to reach out to me.

Last edited:
A Description of the Flurry of Propaganda in 1836
By: Samuele Genitore, PhD in History; Early Italian Propaganda

When one looks back onto the history of Italy, we see a rich and powerful trend to ignore any signs of censorship in an attempt to spread the word of whatever memetic political ideal existed at the time. While many contend with this assumption, the true beginning of this devil-may-care attitude towards state censorship begins in 1836, during the Pamphlet Explosion. Presses across Piedmonte, most noticeably in Genoa and in Turin, produced an absurd amount of print. Some estimates state more paper and ink were used in this year alone then in the entirety of the years between 1000-1400 in the same area.

Considering this, it is amazing to see that the vast majority of this print was centred around the slandering or defending of the Praetorian Party, a Bonapartist party that was founded that year much to the consternation of the aristocratic Traditionalists and the whiggish Left....

The Pamphlet Era (1836):

Lupa ~ By L. V. Balbo

The State of Politics I ~ By Giuseppe di Antico

The Imperative of Class Cohesion ~ By Claudio Ferrero Gabriele

Who are the Praetorians? ~ By Constantino Telemaco Parassani

On an Open Market ~ By Enrico Lucio Leone

Popolo e Libertà! ~ Anon - Attributed to the Figli della Rivoluzione

The State of Politics II ~ By Giuseppe di Antico

The Commons Against the Hydra ~ By La Croce Bianca - Attributed to Giacomo Bonaretti

I Tiranni ci Hanno Conquistato ~ By Antonio Bagnoli

In Defense of the People of Genova ~ By Frederico Mopurgo

Ruler of the King's Navy ~ Anon

Sulla La Nobiltà, Il Volgo, ed i Pericoli di Genova ~ Benito Carli

On the Situation in Genoa ~ Constantino Telemaco Parassani

The State of Politics III ~ By Giuseppe di Antico

The State of Affairs I ~ By Giuseppe di Antico

The Jacobin Serpent ~ Anon

imageNotFound.jpg

Name: Giovanni (Gian) Ferrero
Born: 1799
Class: Labour Leader
Background: Born to an Italian father and a French mother in Savoy, Giovanni managed to avoid most of the strife of the Napoleonic Wars by keeping his head down and leveraging his knowledge of both regional tongues and his organizing ability to keep his hometown safe from the depredations of French soldiers. Now middle-aged, he is used to representing the workers and laborers of Savoy despite harsh resistance from the aristocratic and industrial interests running the country. As such, he generally publishes his work anonymously and stays out of the public eye as much as possible.

Urlo per la Libertà by Antonio Bagnoli

“My greatest wish is for a world without Tyrants.”

After several Tradizionalisti are startled by the publication of Bagnoli’s revolutionary pamphlet, I tiranni ci hanno conquistato (The Tyrants have won). Soon, the pamphlet travels across the nation and overseas to places such as England, France, Austria, Germany, Russia, Spain, and America. Many call for Bagnoli’s imprisionment.

Bagnoli, hoping to capitalize on his half-awakening of Sardinia, starts construction on another pamphlet. He is already a National name, both loved and hated. His pamphlet, hopes to discuss the entitled liberties of the people and that God wishes the good-willed to rule the Earth. Bagnoli, now in exile hopes to continue his efforts for change. Below are a few excerpts.

I am surprised that so many have heard my voice. Some though, have chosen to ignore this voice. But they cannot ignore the screams of all of Italy. The fact that they believe that God would willingly appoint a Tyrant to enslave his people is preposterous. Matthew 5:5 states,” Blessed are for the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” The Tyrant of Turin is neither meek nor gentle.

The only people who have divine right to rule are the people themselves. Rule by popular sovereignty is necessary. All men were created equal, and they should stay equal and die equal. Children are taught “Do to others what you would like them to do to you.” What a better place the world would be to live in if this simple concept would be applied to governments.

If I had to choose between Old Europe and this New Europe, I would choose the Old Europe. Because in Old Europe Tyrants were upfront and did not hide behind the sword and the mask. Both Europes are still not preferable and are a violation of the unalienable rights of man.

Some label me a radical Jacobin or a Bonapartist. That Corsican barbarian is the last person (second to last, there is still the Tyrant in Turin) I would associate with. The Reign of Terror is nothing I wish to repeat. My greatest wish is for a world without Tyrants.

I also will address the riots in Genoa. I do not condone or wish violence onto the innocent people. They have done nothing to deserve such ill treatment. I am not a mindless demagogue.
As for my exile… I will return to Italy once Freedom and Liberty harken for my assistance or they are restored to the people. I will continue to agitate against this tyrannical regime that camouflages their sinful aims.
Italians scream for Freedom, scream for Equality, Scream for a united Italy. Scream so loud that the Tyrants all across the world cannot drone you out. Scream so loud that the ear drums of oppression be popped! Scream so loud that the Tyrants will be forced to step down. So that the throne be occupied by not one man, but all men. In the 17th chapter of Saint Luke it is written the Kingdom of God is within man, not one man, nor a group of men, but in all men, in you, you the people have the power!

My raison d' être shall be this. I am the one who will move the masses against the Tyrants. I will try my best to wake those asleep and unchain those enslaved. I call forth to all Italians. DO NOT BE SLAVES TO A TYRANT! DO NOT BE SLAVES TO ONE MAN OR ANY MAN. DO NOT BE DECEIVED BY THE TYRANT OF TURIN! RISE UP! IN THE NAME OF LIBERTY AND ALL THAT IS GOOD. RISE UP! To quote Patrick Henry, “If this be treason, make the most of it.”

Abbasso il Tiranno!

- Antonio Bagnoli

((Secret))
Our government has yet to still be formed. We are running around like a chicken with our heads cut off trying to get as many votes as possible for the position of Prime Minister. The Privy Council Leader is no where to be found and many aristocrats are absent from the vote. We have to get a government going to stop the mad rise of liberalism in this country. These riots have also shown the true backing of many liberal party members, including some members of the Praetorian Party. They claim to be an oppressed people, a people that have been under tyranny. Regardless, his Majesty has yet to do anything truly oppressive. He has granted a parliament to the educated masses of our country, the ones that deserve a voice. We cannot expect to run a country off the whims of the uneducated, illiterate, people who think that their way will save this country. We need a country based on intellect, and I do not trust the uneducated masses to run this country. Only a strong King may run this country, a King that has been ordained to rule by the highest authority in the universe.

They say they are going to create a nation for the people, yet their words are in the form of bombs and guns. They should respect the will of God to give us a strong leader. Which is why I appreciate the ideas of the new "Catholic League", a league that claims to be more conservative then the Traditionalists. I respect the league in upholding the authority of the Catholic, Roman, and Apostolic Church, yet I disagree with them on the aspects of Protected Trade. We do not have an established trade to protect, and we must allow the industrialists to grow our economy out before putting mass tariffs on them.

I still wish I was home in Cagliari. My sister writes to me she found love in another aristocrat. I hope that they are married. My wife writes that Giovanni is learning to take his first steps. I wonder if after we have a government going I may take leave and go home.

Federico D'Ambrosio
Entry #21
March 20, 1836

((Secret: Privy Council))

My lords, we must make haste in selecting a Prime Minister. That is why I am officially calling on all members of the Privy Council to come to Turin to vote on the Prime Minister of this country. We must make a government before the liberals cause the masses to destroy this country.

-Conte Federico of Cagliari

((GET YOUR VOTES IN PEOPLE, WE NEED ONLY 2 MORE VOTES FOR A MAJORITY :D))

Pamphlets from the "Figli della Rivoluzione" distributed in Turin:

Is the Privy Council impotent?

Many citizens of this country might have asked themselves: "what is the Privy Council doing? Where is the government, where is the Prime Minister?"

And indeed, what are the Nobles doing? The time passes and we have yet no government at all. The elections were already a fraud, and it is known, but it seems that even with an overwhelming majority in the parliament the Nobles just can't agree on who to appoint as Prime Minister. Is it sheer incompetence? Infighting? Fear of the riots in Genova? All of the above?

The Privy Council has showed to be a slow, disorganized mess who's incapable to rule the country. Are the Nobles really that petty that they prefer to squabble against each others rather than give the country some order, even if illegitimate and unpopular? Or maybe their long inaction is actually part of a more vile plot: are the Nobles trying to restore Absolutism by willfully mismanaging their sovereign body? Are they trying to prove the inefficiency of Constitutionalism so that the King will disband a useless parliament and restore the Autocracy? It wouldn't be a surprise considering the rumors of several Reactionaries lobbying for a return to the "Old Ways". Or maybe they truly are that incompetent!

In any way the Privy Council is proving to be an incompetent and useless body that obstruct normal Constitutional rule and further stop reforms. Any educated citizen of this country should be rightfully infuriated at their prolonged inaction and their incapacity to rule the country even with an overwhelming Traditionalist majority. It is for this that the writers of this pamphlet humbly suggest the Disbanding of This Mess of an Organization.
The country needs good rulers more than ever, and scheming nobles who plot in the shadows against each others and against the nation itself are in no way qualified for this Job!

Down with the incompetents, down with the schemers!

- A Concerned Citizen

• 1Like
Reactions:
((Secret - to the Tradizionalisti and the Privy Council))

Invito allav Teatro Regio
Presentando - Don Giovanni di Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Condotto da Don Claudio Ferrero Gabriele

tBzvOD3.jpg

Rappresentare
Don Giovanni - Baritone (Francesco Miltatano)
Leporello - Bass (Francesco Albertiana)
Il Commendatore - Bass (Carlos Linchiana)
Donna Anna - Soprano (Maria Beletona)
Don Ottavio - Tenor (Pedro Novionema)
Donna Elvira - Soprano (Caterina Caviallea)
Masetto - Bass (Francesco Bussani)
Zerlina - Soprano (Luisa Mombelli)

I would like to pledge my loyalty to the League of the Public Weal. It is imperative that we remind the elite of the Traditionalists that the conservative majority of this country is not entirely composed of the nationalists or economic liberals that seem to flock to it's banners, but of men whom wish to stand firm against the tide of liberalism, needless removal of his Majesty's authority, and the destructive and dangerous provocation of the great powers that neighbour us, notably that of Austria, with calls for so-called "Italian Unity".

~ Camillo Asti Angelino

wL5ONi8.png

COMMUNIQUÉ TO THE GENTLEMEN OF LETTERS OF TURIN
Public

Even while in exile, Sig. Bagnoli continues to spout venom, most recently quoting holy texts as the basis for his diatribes against the King. We would do well to remember that The Devil can cite Scripture for his purpose. An evil soul producing holy witness is like a villain with a smiling cheek. The anti-monarchist rhetoric of Sig. Bagnoli warrants some response, the intention herein being to furnish such a rejoinder.

It must take a peculiar alignment of the stars to bring about such circumstances in which a determined Liberal such as I should find it necessary to not only defend the powers of the Crown but to employ Scripture as the chief instrument in the task. Yet such is the case.

Amongst the stories of the Old Testament, we surely cannot forget that of David, a central figure in the ancient world. Yet, did not the prophet Samuel anoint David as King, elevating him to the high office to rule the people of Israel?

fybqZrU.png

Anointing of David

TULIT IGITUR SAMUHEL CORNU OLEI ET UNXIT EUM IN MEDIO FRATRUM EIUS ET DIRECTUS EST SPIRITUS DOMINI IN DAVID A DIE ILLA ET IN RELIQUUM

Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.
1 Samuel 16:13

For the office of King, God did not hold an election. He had a High Priest anoint a monarch with sacred oil, a tradition honoured to this day by all crowned heads in Christendom.

aykPv1H.png

Judgement of Solomon

And what of David’s son, Solomon, who succeeded his father? We are told that he was “wiser than all men,” a fact we come to learn not from the Book of Politicians but from the Book of Kings. This great man, a man of unparalleled wisdom, was a monarch ordained by God. Perhaps had an elected politician adjudicated at the Judgement of Solomon he would have asked that the innocent child [deemed too young to vote] be partitioned equally amongst the two women to pander to a divided electorate.

Now, some may believe that the lessons of the Old Testament have no place in the brave new world in which we live. Those willing to set aside ancient texts and forsake, unwisely, their sturdy teaching may yet find that the wisdom of the Old Testament is echoed in the New.

bUhworE.png

Jesus before Pilate

Let us turn then to the example of the Saviour Himself. When Jesus is summoned before Pilate, did not He inform us that the Roman Prefect’s authority had been given to him from above (John 19:11). Indeed, at the very same meeting Jesus acknowledges that He is Himself a King (John 18:33).

And what of Plate, whose powers have been granted him from above. Find no fault against the accused, he tried to release Jesus. It is at this juncture that Sig. Bagnoli demands that we listen to the screaming voices of the masses. The same voices of the same multitude that cried out: “Away with this man. Release Barabbas!”

Such was the chilling refrain of that o-so-sacred Voice of the People. It was then that Pilate, despite his authority from Heaven, yielded to the wishes of the People and washed his hands of the whole affair. Are we to wash our hands and let the People have their way? How will we respond when the People, with great democratic zeal, should the words: “Crucify Him! Crucify Him!”

MONTEZEMOLO

Last edited:
wL5ONi8.png

VOTES IN THE THE PRIVY COUNCIL
Privy Council -- Private

Gentlemen,

I understand that I am amongst the last to cast a vote in this Chamber on two important matters: first, the selection of a Prime Minister and second, the choice of a Chief of the Army.

Having conversed with many members of the Privy Council, and understanding the urgency of having a government form, I vote:

Vincenzo Roberto Pec, Marquess of Villamarina, for Prime Minister

- and

Sebastiano Giovanni Pico della Pec, Count of Santa-Maria di Leuca, for Chief of the Army.​

MONTEZEMOLO

agLsuP2.png

Dear Vincenzo Roberto Pec, Marquess of Villamarina,

I write to you today wishing you well. I know that turbulent times have swept the countryside, and I hope that this letter finds you in good company. As always, I expect my younger cousin is hard at work in the Privy-Council, yes? Who would have thought that my junior of seven years would lead the largest political party in Savoy. I remember the time where you were quite fascinated of my military uniform, to think I had you painted as a officer. How old were you, nine? Eight? No matter, times have changed certainly from whence we were boys. I write to you today not in fondness of childhood memories, but of important matters that threaten our very state.

As you know, I have commanded the Arma dei carabinieri for some time now. We are the King's Police force, and I have kept order in Turin for as long as I can remember. However, ever since I defeated the supporters of Young Italy I knew that times were changing... We executed, and imprisoned most of those that rose up, many of the men however fled our grasp. There were sixty-thousand reported followers of Mazzini, and I was sure to tract each and every one down... My other missions derailed my poor conscious and I was unable to defeat all of them. Namely the culprit himself. Yes, it is true, Mazzini sulks in the corners of Parliament, likely getting into the lower house using a name not his own, perhaps using another person to gain entry into parliament.. I plan on arresting him in nary a week's time, and execute him on the spot by the King's decree.

I write to you today so that you may find yourself to safety. Genoa is not safe, and has been faced with liberal uprising ever since it was acquired, I would suggest retreating into the alps until this whole business is done with, who knows what they may up their sleeves yet... If, however, you feel up to the task, I could use an helping hand in the Privy Council. I have heard of your suggestion for promoting me to General of the Army, and I am dearly flattered, nonetheless I still require assistance from a man with direct contact with the king.

Perhaps we shall discuss it more, over brunch perhaps, at your estate in the city?

Yours truly,
Brigadier-General of the Arma dei carabinieri
Honoré Sebastiano Giovanni Pico della Pec, Count of Santa-Maria Di Leuca

~~Private~~​

Last edited:
"It appears that the good man of Montezemolo is exceedingly good at spouting self-righteous, superstitious and fanatical balderdash.

Unfortunately such an attempt only serves to prove once again the collusion of the Catholic Church with the tyranny in Europe and the (unfortunately) vastly successful attempt to keep the illiterate masses in bondage through the exploitation of said superstitions. It is a tradition as old as the Dark Ages and only recently such a vile legacy has been challenged by the wise and the philosophers, and indeed the times when such words would cause questionless submission are quickly coming to an end.

The vile ideology of Montezemolo has no place in a modern rational world and soon the illusions of superstitions and dogmatism will fade away, like darkness repelled by the Light of Reason."

"Montezemolo cites myths, legends, old tales who have been used through history as a mean of legitimacy to justify the worst dictatorships. He boldly claims moral superiority, but his is the side of fanatics and inquisitors, witch-hunters and murderers of countless innocents in many foolish war of Religion. Indeed, it seems that to him the idea of a rational Deity who made all men equal and wished only liberty and prosperity to His creations constitutes a blasphemous heresy, but at the same time the excesses of the fanatics and the murders in God's name seems to be perfectly fine.

How can such a man truly claim to be any better than the worst extremists of the Revolution?"

"And once again we have to witness the venomous influence that the Papacy and the Roman Clergy have on our society: pushing back literacy, rejecting modernity, denying truths, supporting tyrants. These are the crimes of the Roman Papacy that the avalanche of modernity will wash away to build a rational society based on Reason, Science and National Brotherhood.

The Medieval, backward fools who still try to restore the horrors of the Dark Ages will be inevitably defeated by the unstoppable march of progress."

- Several Jacobins commenting Montezemolo's last declarations

((Ya'all, PM shouldn't be considered appointed until the vote closes, and I directed Marschalk not to close the vote until either everyone had voted or two days elapsed. So just because a majority of the council backed him is not sufficient cause to declare that he has been appointed...))