• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((On the IRC issue, I tried it in EoE but because of the time difference in Australia, it sucked as everyone was asleep when I was ready to participate and vice versa. I am pretty disappointed in the apparent forming of an IRC cabal engaging in actions which add to the flavour of the iAAR which are not up for the viewing of the rest of us, and would exclude people who are unable or unwilling to engage in the IRC medium. It would not have made a difference to the final result of the vote but it robs the other players of a sense of immersion in the storyline. People should remember that not everyone lives in their little corner of the world and start thinking globally.))

In the halls of the Privy Council, Roberto Vincenzo Pes di Villamarina addresses his peers.

My lords,

I have been informed by the police authorities of Turin, that, during a public discussion with a known radical Mazzini, an officer of the army of His Majesty, Lieutenant Colonel Vitali, has been advocating an aggressive war of conquest against Austria, France and other Italian states. Coming from a high-ranking soldier, it may create the illusion that such views are shared by the General Staff and even our Commander-in-Chief, His Majesty the King. You probably understand the diplomatic incident it can cause - and even be used against us by our enemies. I will not be suprised, if the Austrian Ambassador has already been informed about this episode and is preparing a complaint.

Morever, it severely violates the disciplinary rules, in accordance with which an officer must serve the Crown and the nation, fulfilling their bid, instead of participating in political discussions and trying to formulate policies by himself. I believe that we, the Privy Council, in order to prevent such happening in the future, should advise the King to reprimand this officer for his behaviour. Respecting the patriotic feelings of this gentleman, I beleive that he must be explained, that, in private capacity, he can voice any views that he likes, but, while he wears the epaulets, he must understand the grave responsibility and limitation of his office. In addition, I beliee that we should recommend the Monarch to issue an order to the forces establishing the strictly apolitical role of the military.

What would you say?

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Leader of the Traditionalists

Last edited:
((My modest opinion is that the classes' voting should be done in thread, so that everyone can see what's happening and participate, but that's just my two cents.))

viimanelotildepp_zps89a556d8.jpg

The Kontravarius dynasty had been a part of the aristocratic powerstruggles in the Italian Peninsula for already more than a thousand years, arriving centuries before the last Byzantine outposts in Southern Italy finally crumbled and the Greek ties faded into the silverish twillight of history.
As the centuries passed, the ruthless mercenary captains rose throught the ranks of nobility and spread throughout Europe, establishing cadet branches in Iberia, German states and later in Russia. The Italian branch was never able to achieve the power that the Spanish or North German branches had but was nevertheless still around when the French Revolution ate its children and Bonaparte tore up Europe.
Amadeus_zps548b15f0.jpg

Name: Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Barone of Rubicon
11 August 1806 - 1867
Class: Aristocrat
Ancestral Lands: Annecy
Biography: Barone of Rubicon, once the head of the very minor Savoyard branch of the dynasty, Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien – charismatic and powerhungry, cold and tireless, grandiose and an absolute bastard, he fits right in the family with the rest of reactionary militarist strongmen-stratocrats and manipulative highborn powermongers – his forefathers and kinsmen.
Disillisioned, fighting as much with his inner beasts as liberals in the Grand Halls of Parliament, his whole life was a slow, bloody struggle with his own dark mind, somewhat strangely enough a struggle that never really interfered with his incredibly rise through the ranks of high nobility.
Although never capable or confident enough to run for the leadership of the quickly forming I Tradizionalisti political group, he managed to work his way to the very forefront of the party and become a close friend and ally to Viscount Pes, who, later made him his personal secretary and confidant and whose influence brought him to the halls of Senate.

Not how did he die, but how did he live.
Not what did he gain, but what did he give
These are the units to measure the worth
Of a man as a man, of noble birth.

I lost my closest friend and ally in this world. Here, on this day, I promise to continue his work, devote myself to fighting for his ideals, forever and ever, till the force of life leaves my body.

Senator dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien,
Distressed, Afraid and Alone
The death of Viscount Vincento Pes left its mark on the already crumbling mind of the still quite young Baron. Nevertheless, he stayed in politics, fiercly fighting to keep his place in the very front of the party, continuing on the old course, voting for the right man and following the party line word for word. He stayed loyal, didn't make any mistakes and was rewarded for it - he was made a Duke, first one in the history of Sardinia-Piemonte, who did not have any blood ties to the royal family.
viimanelotildeppprovencigavaumlike_zps88239123.jpg

...And then, suddenly, everybody wanted to meet him and his name was on everyone's lips and party invitations. There had never been any dukes outside the royal family - the Contravarius dynasty was the first to fly that close to the bright-bright sun and they had never even held a county in Regno di Sardegna!
His Grace Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Duca of Provence and Barone of Rubicon, Minister of War and Senator for Life, 42 years of age - in his prime, is sitting in his favorite little study in front of a big pile of congratulations, party invitations and recommendation letters, trying to figure out what exactly did he do to get here, in this situation. He had never been a Prime Minister and probably would never be one, he hadn't won a war, never been the biggest name on the horizon, always playing the second, third or fourth fiddle. The years as the personal advisor and an exemplary lackey to the late Villamarina had placed him in the Senate and the confusing years following the 41' election had earned him the place among the Four Princes of Conservatism. He had been reliable, he had been a solid, easy bet in all situations and most importantly - he had always known his place. He had been the most promising of Villamarina's confidants, but he always knew that this was as far as he was meant to go, never to cross the final border, never to lead the forces of Tradition to battle.
Follow the strongest and don't get overly ambitious. Was that it?
Was that the secret?

*sigh*

"The most promising of His lackeys".

MINISTER OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS – 1836-1841 Pes, 1856-1861 Amat I, 1861-63 Amat II
SENATOR FOR LIFE - 1839 (Under Pes) – 1865
MINISTER OF WAR – 1846-1851 Bonaretti I
DUKE OF PROVENCE – 1846 (Under Bonaretti I) – 1865
PRAETOR OF SAVOY – 1848 (Under Bonaretti I) – 1865
MINISTER OF THE ROYAL COURT – 1853 – 1855 Bonaretti II
DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER – 1856 – 1860 Amat I, 1861 – 64 Amat II
LORD PRESIDENT OF THE PRIVY COUNCIL – 1856 (Under Amat I) – 1865
(SELF-TITLED and ACTING) PRIME MINISTER – 1864 November – 1865 February

Second Class in the Order of Saint Francis de Sales – awarded in 1850
The main organizer of the "Masquerade Ball of Savoy" in 1853

* * *​

The crisis that followed the death of dom Contravarius, the Baron of Rubicon was short and bloody. Austrian, North German and Spanish lines of dynasty all trying to establish their dominance, enforcing their claimants and violently ending the hopes of others. Months of increasingly brutal assassinations and a few extremely violent massacres changed the political landscape little and without a clear winner the Spaniards and Germans had to come to a difficult agreement.
The lonely survivor and thus the only possible compromise candidate was young Alexander Marius Albin-Fabian Maximilian dom Contravarius-Don'Paulus y Rex-Trpimirović-Luzsénszky. The choice was made even more obvious by the fact that young Alexander was already in Annecy, studying in the (in)famous College of Tarentaise, the beating heart of intellectual traditionalism in Italy, once founded by Mario Pedrotti.
eyecandy_zpsud3yzbwz.jpg
Born in the the Corpus separatum of Fiume, Austria, as the first and only son to the head of one of the most obscure branches of the Contravarius dynasty, he was never meant to reach as far he did. His family, this tiny cell of the House Contravarius, had been one of the most important Italian families in local politics for over five centuries and earned the respect, hatred and fear of the community but had really no other accomplishments to show off aside from a few unimportant public offices here and there and a large pile of wealth amassed and protected with loving care and attention.
The violent struggle for power had left the historically segregated blood of Italian Contravarius’s weak and feeble, unable to resist the foreign branches, easy to unite and bend to their will. Following a joint decision the families lands and titles were reorganized, once again uniting the Italian blood under a single Baron, one Baron to rule them all and in the darkness bind them – the Baron of Grande Rubicon.
viimane%20lotildepp%20provenci%20ja%20taumlismaumlnguga_zpsk0ln6kju.jpg
Young Alexander made himself a name, rising through the (still quite rigid) Italian social ranks with a smile on his face and usually making up for his staggering incompetenence in finance and politics with confident attitude and irresistable personal charm, unknowingly gaining a similar position to his predecessor as an important political crony, a confidant to the leadership of the Greater Right, but unlike him holding on to his strange personal beliefs and (to an extent) his own sanity.
A true romantic, he lived all his life lacking any kind of ambition or true political interest except for a few outdated ideals he stubbornly held dear throughout all his life and maintaining deep religious ardor even when his magnificent parties brought together the cream of Turin. However deep his faith and strong his romantic pull towards old ideas of chivalry was, nothing ever disturbed young Alexanders extremely hedonistic attitude or troubled his countless adventures with young ladies both high- and lowborn. Moreover, if one cared to closely listen to the gossip of the day, there was always a chance to hear the evil tongues talk about some of the stranger situations young Alexander had, at points, gotten into with other men. Most people tend not to listen, though.

Name: Alexander Marius Albin-Fabian Maximilian dom Contravarius-Don'Paulus y Rex-Trpimirović-Luzsénszky
Date of Birth: 25. November 1851
Place of Birth: City of Fiume, Austria(-Hungary)
Title: Baron of Grande Rubicon
Ancestral Lands: Annecy and Firenze

* * *​

cnad_zpsggtmniwx.jpg

Ancestral Lands: Annecy and Firenze
Date of Birth: 15. November 1874

Gabriel Severus Drago di Eugenyus dom Contravarius-Mondragones y d’Alathristus-Danzig, son of a reactionary landowner from some godforsaken corner of Southern Germany and a minor Catalan aristocrat would, by the Italian Revolution of 1906, achieve great notoriety among the European counter-Academicist artist groups for his extremely grim dystopian surrealism with strong antinatalist overtones, showing a surrealistic, post-apocalyptic environment with very detailed scenes of death, decay, landscapes filled with skeletons, deformed figures and deserts. These paintings were quite detailed, painted with his trademark precision. At the time, he claimed, "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams".

This all, coupled his highly imaginative spirit and habit of indulging in unusual and grandiose behavior with had a shocking effect to the general public of the time. His eccentric manner and attention-grabbing public actions sometimes drew more attention than his artwork and music, much to the dismay of those who held his work in high esteem, and to the irritation of his critics.

His conquests continued in the musical spheres, where his futurist-leaning pieces rejected tradition and introduced experimental sounds inspired by machinery, creating raging disputes and furore, especially after the so-called “Five Nights in München” – a series of concerts he and the then-unknown “Orchestra of Vibrant Lights” gave in a small concert hall in the outskirts of the city that was, at the time, conveniently also chosen as the new home for the Italian government-in-exile. The concerts took place right after his arrival from Vienna and during five consecutive evenings, managing to double the audience with each time, and turning the more conservative German musical circles decidedly against dom Contravarius-Mondragones, at the same time inspiring and assembling much of the arriving young (mostly Italian) futurist composers and artists around him. A few weeks later, through a series of extremely complicated rules of inheritance, the composer was declared the Baron of Grande Rubicon and thus the de jure head of the dom Contravarius dynasty in the Italian peninsula, making him an important voice in the Italian émigrée movement and, in his own words, “overnight an Italian”.

Last edited:
I don't understand this disapproval of seizing colonies, as colonies give us both resources and population. The former of which is very important if we want to try and make an industrial economy. As at this moment Sardinia Piedmont is horrible starved of all forms of resources excepting that of fruit and grain.

- Riccardo Cavalieri

I don't understand this disapproval of seizing colonies, as colonies give us both resources and population. The former of which is very important if we want to try and make an industrial economy. As at this moment Sardinia Piedmont is horrible starved of all forms of resources excepting that of fruit and grain.

- Riccardo Cavalieri
A random deputy

"But, isn't fruit and grain what we need to feed our population?"

I tempi di Pedemontis

Lord President chosen amid gaffe and rumors of Austrian rankle

Lawrence%20Angouleme%20M.jpg
Francesco Ludovico Costanzo Sforza, Our Lord President​

With the looming elections incoming the Privy Council in accordance to established precedence and protocol have selected Francesco Ludovico Costanzo Sforza, Conte di Trecate e Galliate as Lord President. The announcement was made by Vincenzo Roberto Pers, Marquis di Villamraina and Leader of the Traditionalists. Meanwhile rumors of a planned military excursion to take place somewhere in the Mediterranean region have caused an uproar in many circles including both political organizations and even within the military. Such here say is attributed to men like Giuseppe Mazzini and Lieutenant Colonel Vitali who has been allegedly advocating an outright unification of the Italian peninsula by force of arms which would challenge not only Austrian interests in the area but threaten to upset the balance of power established in the Congress of Vienna. There are also rumors of other proposed military incursions somewhere in North Africa, some say Tunis while others say Morocco, which would threaten the interests of other powers including but not limited to the Ottoman Empire. In response to this the Marquis di Villamarina, Vincenzo Roberto Pes has issued a statement that the views of the Lieutenant Colonel does not reflect the views of the General Staff or even His Majesty the King. The Marquis went on to suggest on behalf of the Privy Council in order to prevent such an incident that can undermine the sovereignty and well-being of the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia that His Majesty the King should reprimand the officer in question for his behavior. Austria is of yet to make any public statement despite rumors that their Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary is preparing to file a formal compliment to the government…-Continued on Page 4

A random deputy

"But, isn't fruit and grain what we need to feed our population?"

Being fed is merely half the battle, for a truely prosperous nation we need to have the ability to produce thing such as furniture, glass, cement, steel, clothes etc. what I seek is the ability for everyone in our nation to be able to purchase everyday items such as these. Yet we lack the ability to do this with the poor resources we have.

What's more, the more resources we have allows us to build more valuable thing such as luxury clothes which due to there very high profitability means that everyday workers will get vastly more wealthy then normal. These thing we cannot do without access to proper resources.

- Riccardo Cavalieri

I will gladly accept any disciplinary actions the wise and just King Charles Albert deems necessary for my words, and I apologize for any diplomatic incident I may have caused. I would like to make it clear that my statement does not represent the views of the military as a whole, only myself, and regret any allusions to the contrary. Concerning my political views - while I will no longer speak of them publicly, you may be assured that they remain close to my heart.

- Lt. Colonel Marco Vitali

Apparently the I tempi de Pedemontis does not realize that my main goal in almost everything is the unification of Italy under a republic. What Vitali wishes is another matter, but I hope he has the right to say what he wants without getting too severely punished. If attacking a random African country will get us closer to a unified Italian republic, so be it. Viva Italia!
-Giuseppe Mazzini, self-proclaimed radical

((
New Rules on Secrecy and Dark Voting

Having listened to various concerns about dark voting, I have decided to ban it. From now all, all voting must be held in thread.

I may allow dark voting in the future if the clutter becomes unbearable, but for the moment, voting must held in the thread. Classes, parties, corporations, or other organizations that want to hold a vote specific to their organization don't need to wait for me to open the vote. They may call and open it on their own in accordance with their own procedures, but it has to be in thread.

More generally on the subject of secrecy:

If you want a post to be secret, mark it at the top with ((secret)) or ((private)). If it's unclear you may also say who it's private to - ie: ((secret - militarists only)) or ((private - Privy Council)). Many meetings, such as the privy council, the general staff, or a corporate board may be held behind close doors. Secret statements cannot be commented on by anyone other than those people who are allowed to see them unless they are leaked to the public.

Anyone privy to a secret meeting may leak the proceedings to the public. Demagogues will also get leak secrets as a possible action. This action will make a ((secret)) or ((private)) conversation public, though it carries the chance of failure and arrest for the demagogue. Someone privy to a private conversation who wishes to leak it secretly may collaborate with a Demagogue to do so, which removes the arrest chance for the Demagogue.

A vote may also be marked ((secret)) by the person who starts the vote, in which case who voted and how is secret.

Certain information is always public, including but certainly not limited to:
-Who holds what office and who is on the Privy Council
-Who is Lord President of the Privy Council
-If the militarists are fabricating a CB and what that CB is
-Who are generals and what units they command
-Who are industrialists and how much money they have
-What industrialists and companies are building
-If a demagogue has been arrested
-What factories are unionized
-The memberships of all parties

If a post is not marked secret or private then it assumed to be public.

...I hope this system is superior to our previous system for secrecy, which was called "guessing and arguing."))

What the honourable gentlemen fail to realize is that the Sardinian farmer and the Piedmontese craftsman do not concern themselves with the power of our Kingdom or the unification of Italy. While you discuss your plans to send thousands of our soldiers to their deaths, the people from Sardinia, my friends, are bothered only with whether or not they will be able to feed their children coming winter. You should be ashamed of yourselves for ignoring the harsh reality!

- Don Alessandro Sardegna

What the honourable gentlemen fail to realize is that the Sardinian farmer and the Piedmontese craftsman do not concern themselves with the power of our Kingdom or the unification of Italy. While you discuss your plans to send thousands of our soldiers to their deaths, the people from Sardinia, my friends, are bothered only with whether or not they will be able to feed their children coming winter. You should be ashamed of yourselves for ignoring the harsh reality!

- Don Alessandro Sardegna
You see, this is why we need a republic. How can a monarch or those in service to a monarch be expected to help the poor man? The poor man must take matters into his own hands and create a republic, where the people rule.
-Giuseppe Mazzini

A series of peculiar events arose today during the announcement by Marquis Vincenzo Roberto Pers regarding the appointment of the Council's leader, Conte Francesco Ludovico Costanzo Sforza. After the announcement, the Council started to deliberate on the issue that certain generals in the army have begun making plans to invade a North African State. I am hard-pressed to find any nation in North Africa that would be a prime target by our military. The Moroccan Kingdom has seen some encroachment by both the French Kingdom and the Spanish Kingdom, with the Spanish wanting to secure the Strait of Gibraltar, while the French have wanted to secure a border with their puppet state in Algiers. Tripoli is currently engaged in conflict with the ancient regime of the Turks in Turkey, which has just lost a war to the Greeks not 15 years ago. The only nation that in my eyes is a target that would make sense would be the independent Kingdom of Tunisia, once an Ottoman Territory. The nation has suffered an epidemic no less then 15 years ago as well. They do not have very many allies in the Middle East. Yet a declaration of war upon Tunisia would draw the eyes of the other powers in Europe. One would remember the Napoleonic Wars of the past. The Congress of Vienna would have to be upheld. I would suggest patience over immediate war. Our fledgling Parliament has yet to actually convey yet, and already our generals are planning to strike? We must focus on internal stability and economic success first then outward expansion.

As the meeting continued on, the Privy Council began to discuss the "Pan Italia" people who want us to unite with the rest of our Peninsular. While I am all for a united Italy, we cannot do it now. Austria and France would not have it (One must remember the important cities of Venezia and Milan are under Austrian Control). This must also be approached with patience and time rather then quick and immediate action. Some Northern Italians do not view our Southern and Central Brothers on equal footing as well.

After the meeting adjourned, I spotted a young Junior Clerk in the back, talking with what seemed to be a journalist. The Clerk's name I do not know, but I was surprised to see in my morning paper the events that I have transcribed in this book.

-Federico D'Ambrosio
Entry #2
Date: January 5th, 1836 Anno Dommini.

((Oh I didn't even see that he claimed it, he can have if he wishes and I'll find another place of the Island to claim as my County.))

((It's okay, I was just afraid you did it on purpose :laugh:

I'll stick with Nice. I sorta hope it gets traded to France :p

Btw I haven't been able to get on the IRC except one time on my new computer, anyone know why this would be? ))

In the halls of the Privy Council, Roberto Vincenzo Pes di Villamarina addresses his peers.

My lords,

I have been informed by the police authorities of Turin, that, during a public dicussion with a known radical Mazzini, an officer of the army of His Majesty, Lieutenant Colonel Vitali, has been advocating an aggressive war of conquest against Austria, France and other Italian states. Coming from a high-ranking soldier, it may create the illusion that such views are shared by the General Staff and even our Commander-in-Chief, His Majesty the King. You probably understand the diplomatic incident it can cause - and even be used against us by our enemies. I will not be suprised, if the Austrian Ambassador has already been informed about this episode and is preparing a complaint.

Morever, it severely violates the disciplinary rules, in accordance with which an officer must serve the Crown and the nation, fulfilling their bid, instead of participating in political discussions and trying to formulate policies by himself. I believe that we, the Privy Council, in order to prevent such happening in the future, should advise the King to reprimand this officer for his behaviour. Respecting the patriotic feelings of this gentleman, I beleive that he must be explained, that, in private capacity, he can voice any views that he likes, but, while he wears the epaulets, he must understand the grave responsibility and limitation of his office. In addition, I beliee that we should recommend the Monarch to issue an order to the forces establishing the strictly apolitical role of the military.

What would you say?

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Leader of the Traditionalists

((Private- Privy council))

Hear, hear! Mazzini is a scoundrel and should probably be arrested and executed. Mazzini's Masonic propaganda should not be allowed to spread to the other soldiers.

I approve of this expedition into Africa, though we must be wary of the reaction of the Great Powers. I also approve of Our Majesty's banning of this nefarious "dark voting".

-Count Bonaretti in the Privy Council meeting

Bonaretti writes a public letter to Mazzini

You see, this is why we need a republic. How can a monarch or those in service to a monarch be expected to help the poor man? The poor man must take matters into his own hands and create a republic, where the people rule.
-Giuseppe Mazzini

A republic where rich merchants dominate the proceedings? Or one where a depraved general seizes all power? You idiot! The people will be destroyed by such a government. Look what happened to Venice and France. Monarchy is the inky way to protect the good people who work the land and feed the rest of the kingdom.

Last edited:
-Giuseppe Mazzini

Really, Signore Mazzini, the government of Sardinia-Piedmont shan't be able to cater to the needs of any of their citizens, Kingdom or Republic. It is the nature of politicians and aristocrats to fight each other and neighbouring nations - and I have to admit, they are good at that. Expect the government to feed their people, though, and things start to go horribly wrong. After two cold winters and poor harvests, the people no longer understand why the taxman comes to their door. Why give our money to a government far away if we can do it better ourselves? The Dons of Sardinia and the Church are willing to take care of their communities; when are we going to give them the means? Stop the extortion of the common man... Turin, give us back our money!

Bonaretti writes a public letter to Mazzini

A republic where rich merchants dominate the proceedings? Or one where a depraved general seizes all power? You idiot! The people will be destroyed by such a government. Look what happened to Venice and France. Monarchy is the inky way to protect the good people who work the land and feed the rest of the kingdom.
You use Venice and France as examples? Venice was invaded by Napoleon and betrayed by the thieving Austrians! France was commandeered by a group of insane warmongerers and secret monarchists. The Reign of Terror was not brought about by the republic, but by Robespierre! Monarchy only protects the rich and the fat, not the poor and emaciated.
-Giuseppe Mazzini

Several pamphlets are distributed at the University of Torino, as well as the famous coffee shops, salons and other public venues:

Who are the
Praetorians?

We, the Praetorians, humble servants of His Majesty and the Kingdom, friends of the people, do hereby present this petition of our grievances. Like all new movements, the League has been subject to scrutiny, suspicion and distrust. Our motives are disputed and questioned, even by those who, we suppose, would do well to share them. We do not attribute this to hatred, or malice, but to ignorance. So let us shine a light on these grievances, and likewise shine a light into the minds of men obsessed by shadows of conspiracy and disorder.

The Praetorians are feared as a force for disruption. Our convention, and our platform, has been misconstrued as one of disorder and subversion. But we are not anti-society - far from it. Rather, we seek to strengthen the bonds of brotherhood between the King and the Nation, and between the Nation and the Government; to bring all men of education and repute into the fold of the political chamber. We have been told that our presence is unwarranted and unwanted. We have been told to the defer to the judgement of those of superior station. But how can they presume to know our interests, when they do not share them? How can they adequately reflect our concerns in their policy, when we have no hand in crafting it? A society which excludes the greatest sum of humanity is no society at all. It is brittle, it is weak and it shall not stand.

Our policy is not one of monopoly: we do not seek to supplant one injustice with another. Our policy is that of fairness. Every man, being sufficiently literate and educated, should have his voice heard. Loyal officers, businessmen, teachers, tradesmen, lawyers, doctors, and all the noble professions - these are the nation incarnate. Do they not execute its laws, instruct its offspring, uphold its prosperity and bleed in its defence? Yet these patriotic men are silenced. In recent times, an officer of His Majesty's Army was reprimanded by the established powers, not for want of patriotism but the opposite. A servant of the Crown, who would inject vitality and vigour into this Kingdom's lifeblood, is shunned and discredited. Moribund institutions breed moribund policy. Can you call these state of affairs tolerable? Sardinia must embrace modernity, or the grave.

Yet is it not just in the political sphere that the bounty shall be reaped, nor exclusively to the Praetorians. Our economic policy is similarly intended towards the relief of the people from desperation and despair. Free trade and commerce shall enrich not just their agents, but the agents of their agents, and so on and so forth. The cities will swell with the affluence generated by the liberal market. New lands and new territories, brought into our reach by the manly exertions of His Majesty's Army, shall spread their luxuries across the fatherland. All shall be made benefit: the proprietors of the shops, and their stewards; the directors of the banks and the great houses, and their armies of clerks and customers; the speculators at the stock exchange and the industrious men who sign their companies; in short, every man, woman and child shall reap the harvest. There can be no better remedy for pauperism and idleness than the infinite engine of enterprise.

We commend His Majesty for His benevolent declaration of 30 April in the Year of Our Lord 1831, which has created the platform by which our grievances may be addressed. How can His Majesty's ministers and functionaries plead blindness to the deficiencies of the present regime when His Majesty offered so lucid a diagnosis? It is in the spirit of His statute and His judgement that we spur on all men to present themselves at this coming election. Your voice shall be heard at last. Let us go together, as we heal the sickness of Sardinia, and build a healthy body that shall stride proudly into the next century.

Who are the Praetorians? The nation. To what do they aspire? Equal representation. How shall they achieve this? Electoral action.

render.php

390px-PatriceMacMahon.jpg

Name: Alessandro Niccolo Gonzaga di Collegno, Viscount of Collegno
Date of Birth: 21 October 1787 (49)
Class: Militarist
Position: Generale di Corpo D'Armata (Lieutenant General) in the Army of Sardinia
Biography: A member of a very distant branch of the Gonzaga dynasty Alessandro's family has been Viscount of the small town of Collegno for several centuries. Originally the second son of the previous Viscount Alessandro was educated in nearby Turin however after the victories of General Bonaparte over the Kingdom of Sardinia and the Austrian forces Alessandro decided to enter to travel to Paris where he finished his education at the Lycée Louis-le-Grand before entering the Ecole Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr. Considered one of the more promising members of his year Alessandro was commissioned as a Captain in the Young Guard in 1809.

His first major campaign was the Austrian Campaign of 1809 where he fought with distinction at Wagram and Aspern-Essling quickly being promoted to Major. After being transferred to the Emperor's Staff in 1811 Alessandro served well in the early part of the Invasion of Russia. After being promoted to Colonel and being given command of the 24th Line Regiment which conducted a decisive assault led by di Collegno and Marshal Ney which forced the Russians off the Bagration Flèches. After this victory Alessandro was again appointed as Chief of Staff to Marshal Ney during which he served an important role in organizing the French Rearguard action that saved a significant portion of the Grande Armée, during these actions he was severely wounded and was out of action for over 4 months.

Following this di Collegno was promoted to Général de Brigade and fought alongside the Emperor in several seperate engagements including Lutzen and Bautzen before serving under Marshal Saint Cyr at Dresden helping to hold off Allied attacks until Napoleon himself arrived with the main force of the Grande Armée. Following Dresden di Collegno continued fighting under the Emperor's direct command as Commander of a Brigade of the Old Guard. At Leipzig Alessandro held off Russian and Prussian assaults on Wachau during which he was again severely wounded losing most of his sight in his left eye. During the final campaign of 1814 di Collegno was sent south to serve under Marshal Soult against Wellington.

Following the abdication of the Emperor di Collegno returned to Sardinia-Piedmont as a private person however this did not last long as Alessandro offered his services to the King during the Hundred Days, his offer was quickly accepted and he was commissioned as a Generale di Brigata and ordered to lead a small Sardinian force into Southern France, a task in which he achieved success alongside Austrian forces. After this service he was quickly promoted to Generale di Divisione. During the following years di Collegno served loyally but saw nearly no actual combat instead marrying the daughter of a member of the local minor nobility and fathering a son and two daughters. Promoted to Generale di Corpo D'Armata in 1830 Alessandro continues to serve as a loyal member of the Sardinian Military while remaining largely aloof from politics.

Last edited:
0de764479b6f4ee384281091193c176b.jpg

Name: Bertrando de Fiore
Date of Birth: 20th October, 1801
Place of Birth: Turin, Piedmont
Class: Labour Leader
Position:[/B] Leader and founder of the Gilda dei commercianti torinesi (Guild of Turinese Tradesmen)

Bio:
((Will arrive sometime))