• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Expanded Play for Demagogues:No
Expanded Play for Militarists: Yes
Dynasticism: Abstain
Carrot and Stick: Abstain
Expanded Colonialism: Yes
Easier Bonuses and Penalties: Yes
Franchise and Parties: Yes
Direct Effect of Taxation: No
Party Regionalism: Abstain

capitalist

((I would also suggest a reconsideration on a Traditionalist free-trade policy. This is what happens when we let a Whig run the Reactionaries! :p))

My good sirs, traditionalism does not equal stagnation. Was the united Kingdom of Italy that existed under the Carolings a horrible revolutionary entity? We are one people, we have one faith, one language, we have same heritage and blood in our veins. The supporters of Italian unity within the conservative movement are not advocating revolutionary ways or agressive warfare. Why should not we, in certain aspects, try to return to the times of our glory, to try to achieve, say, cultural and economic unity, acting together for the greater good of our folk? Regarding the free trade - I am a pragmatist and believe that neither way is an economical panacea. In certain circumstances tariffs are useful, in other they are not. However our party is a broad church, consisting both of moderates and more right-winged persons that have different opinions on certain issues. If neccessary, we can deliberate such issues per internal vote. However we agree in principle - we are all conservative monarchists, believing in the Crown, the importance of our holy faith, our ancient traditions, strong and able military and strong and able state. This is what important - and the Right must stay unifed no matter what, on other case our country will be taken over by the new jacobins and all that is dear to us will perish.

It is quite interesting that, as soon as the Count of Vimodrone voiced his concerns, a liberal demagogue started applauding him, trying to lure him into his party - a party that wants to dismantle the royal army with its antimilitary policies, that does not recognise the moralistic Christian ways that were dear to our country for hundreds of years, that wants to completely alter our way of living by countless unrestricted political and social reforms. Be carefull, brothers, for any strifes within our ranks would benefit the opponents of conservatism.

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Leader of the Traditionalists

Last edited:
((I simply believe that conservatism didn't bother with nationalism until 1848. After all, the carbonari are the largest pan-Italian group and they love(d) Napoleon. And we don't like Napoleon. On top of that, my character loves Austria, the Pope and idealizes the Ancien regime. I can't be expected to embrace free trade, modernity and nationalism :p ))

((I simply believe that conservatism didn't bother with nationalism until 1848. After all, the carbonari are the largest pan-Italian group and they love(d) Napoleon. And we don't like Napoleon. On top of that, my character loves Austria, the Pope and idealizes the Ancien regime. I can't be expected to embrace free trade, modernity and nationalism :p ))

((Just about to say! :) ))

Fattori_ritratto.jpg

Name: Enrico Lucio Leone
Born: 5th January 1801 (35)
Place of Birth: Savona, Liguria
Class: Industrialist
Background: Born in Savona, Enrico Lucio Leone is a well-educated and passionate industrialist. The Leone family contains a long line of merchants and the family had recently constructed a minor factory producing small arms and ammunition, much needed in the current war-torn Europe, by 1791. Enrico's father, Sergio Lorenzo Leone, was not only a shrewd industrialist but also engaged in politics, arguing loudly and constantly for the independence of Italy, which often got him very close to his execution. Enrico resmembles his father, loyal to the ideals of freedom and liberalism, but also envisioning an united Italy leading Europe into an age of freedom. As his father now retires and Enrico takes over the family business, his passion for the liberty of mankind is as alive as ever.

In response to the recent statements made by the Duke of Vimodrone, I feel I must point out that even among the more moderate nobles, we are still concerned with avoiding revolutionary change and preserving the old nobility. But, to speak for myself, it seems clear that the traditional order of monarchical absolutism and noble privilege perished with the French Revolution. The world changes and the models of the Middle Ages no longer serve us. Attempts to resist modernization and embrace reactionary policies will not protect Piedmont, they will doom her to revolutionary upheaval that cannot be controlled.

As for the idea of a united Italian state, I can only say that I do not seek violence and war, but rather for the noble Italian people to be united so that we can all share our prosperity. Of course, my colleagues have addressed many of these points, but one point I feel that they have ignored is that the Italian people themselves seem to want unification more every year. One does not need to look very far back into history to see that people are willing to revolt and fight and die for the idea. With that in mind, I believe that pursuing this noble goal through diplomatic and political means will do far more good for the Italian people than dismissing it out of hand.

~Carlo Asinari, Machese di San Marzano

The house was a small and quiet one as seen from the outside, typical of the quarter in which it resided. Only those with the knowledge of what it truly was entered it, going through a door topped by a horseshoe and cross. Upon entering the house, one could see a large rough-hewn table surrounded by papers, people and pictures. Inside everyone is wrapped in a green sash and a man was speaking. A swarthy man, betraying his peasant stock, he brought the (admittedly biased) crowd to a fervour with his words. Using his hands to calm the audience, he addresses them again.

"Brave men of the Confraterita, you have heard the speeches of the men of parliament. Aristocrats born under shade who seem to not understand our livelihoods speak about destroying our production. Men of wealth whom have never pounded a horseshoe into shape or cobbled a shoe spit on our work, declaring it worth of less then the nightsoil we create! Instead of understanding that we must build with what we have he shall sink our nation with cheap foreign goods! What is the purpose of a man with no job and no hope!"

To this the men shouted "NONE!"

"Should we allow men of wealth to deprive us of our homes and our purpose?"

Again the cry rang out "NO!"

"Shall we allow this man to steal the heritage of our fathers and forefathers? Generations of work towards the perfection of our arts?"

For the final time the cry rang out "NO!"

"Then we shall reject these ways. Our fathers were artisans and their fathers before them. The I Tradizionalisti do not represent the ideals of the artisan, and as such the Confraterita shall not support the I Tradizionalisti! Now go, and spread the word of these dangerous men. For even as we speak the nobile hear us. To prove it I speak of the Marquis di Villamarina, who referenced the Confraterita in a recent speech. To which the God given Count Visconti di Morone rebutted with speed and clarity on the need of protectionism. With as God our witnesses, the voice of the artisan will be heard! Avanti!"

The men then started to get up and stretch, as Giuseppe could rant for extended periods of time. However they were excited to be part of an organisation that was genuinely affecting the politics of the nation. Peasants all, the Confraterita meeting broke up for the day, as many if not all could not afford to miss a full day of work and eat later that evening. However the name of Pes was looked down upon while the spectre of Cavalieri brought boos and hisses from the masses.

((The counts of Vimodrone were made dukes in 1816, maybe it's an Austrian title then? Anyhow, as I said if TH feels it must be removed, that's no problem. I don't really want the title - or the mechanical benefits that come along with it, apparently - but I feel it would be weird not to use a historical title.))

((Welcome to the thread!

I'm afraid that Marschalk is perfectly right and you may not use a ducal title in PttP unless it is specifically granted to you by the Privy Council. That is made abundantly clear in the rules. Holding a ducal title puts you unfairly head and shoulders above the other aristocrats and grants a huge PP bonus.

While I am no expert on Italian geography, I think Vimodrone is technically in Lombardy, which is Austrian, not Sardinian. This would explain why he has ducal title while the only Dukes in Sardinia-Piedmont are in the royal family. I would like to say firmly, however, that it doesn't matter. Your character can't be a duke.))

Expanded Play for Demagogues: Yes
Dynasticism: Yes
Carrot and Stick: No
Direct Effect of Taxation: Yes
Party Regionalism: Abstain

Industrialist

- Enrico Leone

((Otto of england, watch your language please. I know profanity seeped into EoE somewhat, but I'd prefer to not have that happen this time.))

((What! No Constitutional Convention?!?))

((No, no constitutional convention. Sorry. I think I've had enough Constitutional Conventions for the time-being, and maybe enough for one lifetime.))

I Pretoriani
The Praetorian Party

Praetorianflag.gif

Ideology: Praetorianism (Liberal Imperialism)

Laissez-Faire/Free Trade/Pluralism/Jingoism/Limited Citizenship

The Praetorians are a political party bound by the patriotic desire to see the Kingdom raised to the ranks of the Great Powers, such as Great Britain and France. Their principles are modernity, prosperity and martial valour. They believe that the strongest shield of the Monarchy is her loyal subjects: the industrialists, who drive the wheels of industry and fill her coffers; the militarists, who fight in her defence; and the politicians, who organise the people in her support. They believe that the people must be given a say in government commensurate to their fidelity to the King, and that the best vehicle for this is a parliamentary system presided over by a constitutional monarch. The Praetorian programme is a synthesis of free capitalism and conquest, which will make this Kingdom the master of the Mediterranean, the Constantinople of European trade and enterprise, and the envy of the globe.

Prominent Members

Signore Constantino Telemaco Parassani ((Syriana))
Generale di Corpo Luciano Salvatore d'Manin-Grimani ((G.K.))
Signore Achille Agostino Costantino ((Sealy300))
Signore Enrico Lucio Leone ((Nodscouterr))
Signore Carlo Ponzo ((mrlifeless))
Generale di Divisione Marco Bernardo Vitali ((oxfordroyale))
Signore Guiseppe Camilleri ((Davout))
Signore Ernesto Granelli ((Somberg))
Signore Lucien Denis ((RyanX))
Ammiraglio Rosario Giorgino Zanetii ((Shynka))

((I didn't want to add anyone without their consent, so if you wish to be added, simply PM me.))

Last edited:
Would you look at that. Not even has the new Parliament signed a single act and already it is overtaken by bickering and strife! How could we ever expect a ragtag group like this to rule our great country? Does anyone here really represent the interests of the Sardinian farmers, or is it only the contents of their own purses they are worried about?

I say you, gentlemen, this farce shan't last for long. One day, the Sardinian people will no longer stand for Turin's dictate and that, hopefully, will be the last day of Sardinian politics. We do not need politicians, we do not need a King and we most certainly do not need the Traditionalist Party. What we need, men of Sardinia, is the freedom to live our loves without the interference of these people. Fight for freedom, Sardinia... and I shall give it to you!

- Don Alessandro Sardegno

ibloh9mtkT4NRb.jpg

Name: Alessandro "Libertà" Zecchini
Born: 1791 (45)
Class: Demagogue

Background: A radical agitator and founder of several Jacobin organizations in Northern Italy.

Much of his earlier history is unknown but it is known that he was born sometimes around 1791, near the city of Nice, and that he became a fanatical supporter of the French Revolution. He joined the French Grande Armée as soon as it became possible and even after Napoleon's downfall he continued to fight for the ideals of Italian Nationalism and popular Democracy (the fact that Napoleon's empire was no longer much fond of radicals and Jacobins never concerned him apparently).

He participated in the Sicilian Revolution of 1820, but after its failure he was forced to flee to Lombardy where he created his own anti-Austrian organizations. It didn't last for long as soon the Austrian authorities attempted to arrest him, he once again fled from his captors first to Central Italy and then to his former homeland of Sardinia-Piedmont.

With the establishment of the Statuto Albertino he hopes that the rule of the Monarchy and the tyranny of the Nobles will finally be weakened, opening the way for a popular revolution that will unify Italy and create true Republic of Virtue based on the ideals of the French Revolution.

Expanded Play for Demagogues:
Expanded Play for Militarists:
Dynasticism:
Carrot and Stick:
Expanded Colonialism:
Easier Bonuses and Penalties:
Franchise and Parties:
Direct Effect of Taxation:
Party Regionalism:

[Demagogue]

A Pamphlet that is seen and read across the City of Genoa

THE STATE OF POLITICS I;

addressed to the

PEOPLE OF GENOA

and

ALL ASPIRING GUILDSMEN

regarding the following important

NOTICES

I. Of the Danger of the Militancy of Il Pretoriani and their Colonels.

II. Of the Danger of the Trade Policies of the Il Pretoriani.

III. Of their Desire to End the Current State of Affairs that Sustains our Livelihoods.

"These Men, taking the Mantel of the Praetorians of Old, are a danger to the Kingdom and the Confraterita and must be Opposed in all ways at all Times. These Men cannot be allowed to Subvert the Kingdom and depose the Order that sustains our Lives. The People will not be Cowed by an Alliance of Capitalists and Colonels. As such all members of the Il Pretoriani are Excommunicated from the Confraterita."

Maestro Giuseppe di Antico

Printed in Genoa

Sold and Distributed by the Confraternita di genovesi Artigiani

MDCCCXXXVI

Last edited:
Expanded Play for Demagogues: Yes
Dynasticism: Yes
Carrot and Stick: No - IMO I think this is just a bit to much meta for me, and it punishes people with busy schedules.
Direct Effect of Taxation: Yes
Party Regionalism: Yes

Discourse delivered to the Chamber of Deputies: Il carattere imperativo della coesione di classe (The imperative nature of class cohesion)

...in certain remote corners of our Old World you may still find the gentle districts that seem to have been forgotten amid the great tumult, and to have remained static amid all the motion. The locals of this fine settlement, for the most part, are extremely ignorant and take little part in the business around them. Perhaps only a few miles away sits the opulent urban paradise, where the candor and concern of its population occupies their world. They are, usually, engrossed in the feverish madness that consumes our world, and will sometimes break their impartiality to let their opinions be know. Although these trinket observations are known to all, we often neglect the dependence we invest towards both communities. A native of the former will provide a royal court with the food to feast upon, while a citizen of the cities will build and manufacture what we so require. Our fault is not so much neglecting these societal motors, but rather, our position in oiling this beating clock. All pieces are required for this ticking burden, and God has bestowed the enlightened nobility, to which all progress is owed, as the overseers. Nor do we, in this vestige of time, claim to be delegated equality of condition, for as Alexis de Tocqueville mentioned five years prior, such concessions are the fire to ignite decadence and folly. When men's minds are polluted by the ambition of tainted equality, as in America, the mighty pillars of society collapse and God's righteous hierarchy falls into the clutches of mortal sin. Total freedom is a step away from God's Kingdom, and when a nation shifts towards the devilish uncompromising democracy, all of human order is to blame.

I now take aim at the place where men's failure is most marked and known. For when we look upon France and its liberal revolution, we see not only the noxious wrath of the masses, but also the failure of the potent aristocracy. This nation, which achieved blissful supremacy through unified social movement, allowed the dangerous literature of change to seep into the minds of content urbans. The condition was further worsened by the gentry, who refused to perform their absolute duty of benevolence. Lacking the love and charity of the aristocracy, the clockwork of the nation chipped away; avaricious preference over benevolent charity hastened the discontent of the masses. Without relief from the decadent gentry, liberalism was drowned upon the French people -- lacking a father to guide them through the world, they found hate preferable over duty. These are the proven conclusions when God's representatives fail to serve his creations, opening the door for the ignorant and foolish plebeians to be swayed by the devil's deputies. And from this failure, the hinges and ticks of the clock no longer followed divine rule, and led themselves into maddening failure. So profound was this failure, that the domestic conflict burst outward -- intending to shatter the cohesive order that permitted other nations of firmer character to hold true. And yet in the end, the classes are reunited, either by necessity or by force. A nation under God's watch cannot endure so long as it defies his chain of existence.

Recently, I have worked with a young English gentlemen, Signore Disraeli, on finding the perfect unity of nature while the world burns with class hatred. The honorable gentlemen, once a Jew and once a Protestant, is nonetheless pure in his truth. So long as the privileged bestow the grace of God upon the lesser classes, we concluded, will His glory and our success, persist. But, arguments are similarly made to the opposite, when the duties of the both classes are neglected -- the privileged refuse the masses charitable relief and the masses allow hatred to consume their hearts -- we shall be at our downfall. The success of society is dependent on acts of charitable benevolence, both adhering to and enhancing God's divine hierarchy from opposite ends of the chain. So long as our nation respects the enumerated powers of the aristocracy and the imperative role of the population, the chaotic wave of disunity will not affect our sturdy metal society of cohesion.

It is the best course of action, in our conclusion, to not stir the sleeping demon by allowing the recalcitrant ideology of Liberalism to take root in our chain. For once this dangerous concept of dissonance is allowed to seep into our minds, it shall stir the lowers with an angry undeserved vengeance that shall be consequence of aristocratic neglect. Let it be known, henceforth, that the sanctity and unity of the nation is dependent on God's love, which shall be distributed throughout our nation by the diligent charity of our divine representatives.

*Federico jots down some notes in his journal:*

It has indeed come to my attention that political parties are starting to form in this Parliament. While the Privy Council and myself have remained on the side of the Traditionalists, many politicians, rabble-rousers, and men of the military have begun to throw their weight behind various factions in the government. I never have been a man of factions and organized political unions in a sense. They seek only to divide, and claim to unite. The only true uniting force in this country is his Majesty King Charles Albert I. It is through the King and God that this nation stand united. A parliament and any government that stands against his Majesty and his decrees will only divide the nation. While I look at this new Parliament with intrigue, the recent development of these political factions have been worrisome. If we cannot stand united in the face of uniting the Peninsular and rescuing our brothers from the Austrians, the French, and other "Pretender" kingdoms, then we will certainly fall into the pit of political factionalism and division. We must look to our King in order to stand united, and without the King and the only uniting factor in this land, our kingdom shall fall.

I tempi di Pedemontis

Annecy Explodes!

land-mine-explosion.jpg
The mines of Annecy continue to churn out what some have called the "black gem" as the latest expansion of Ferrabino Mining yields modest success in terms of increasing production output which in turn has resulted in both a slight increase of demand and employment in the area. Enzio Ferrabino founded the company in Annecy to much initial success in 1833. When asked if this was due to the establishment of Il Concord Sardo, Enzio Ferrabino replied that the plans to expand the mines were already in the works for at least a year and it was only coincidence that the expansion would come at a great convenience particularly at the planned construction of the cement factory to be opened in the coming year. The latest moves by Ferrabino Mining and the foundation of the first Corporazione Industriale have been overshadowed by debates reaching a near fever pitch over both economic policy specifically free trade versus protectionism and the idea of any sort of reform versus the total status quo. When asked on his opinion on such matters in addition to the three newly formed parties Ferrabino found such a question better answered by a political pundit or those residing within the King's Court...-Continued on Page 3

((There are some errors with the parties' names:

"La Sinistra Partito" is gibberish in Italian, a more correct name would be "Il Partito della Sinistra" or just "La Sinistra".
"Il Pretoriani" should be "I Pretoriani", a minor thing but still...))