• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

McRev4

Sergeant
74 Badges
Jan 13, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
RUTHENIA

1358FBB45A6B111104DEE6E1A260B7B787722E6A

==============================
Version 1.4
==============================
Steam Workshop Link
ModDB Link
Manual Download

This mod dedicated to make playing in Ruthenia region more interesting. For this purpose I'm changing cultures, religions, titles, decision and events.
For most of the content DLC "The Old Gods" is required.

Main features:
  • East Slavic tribes have their own cultures.
  • East Slavic Culture Conversion process.
  • New duchies, kingdoms and empires.
  • New decisions and events.
  • 2 new feasts for Slavic religion.
  • Dieties for Slavic and Norse religions.
  • End date moved to 6.28.1569.
  • East Slavic cultural names for titles.

Detailed features
  • End date moved to 6.28.1569 (Date of Union of Lublin and creation of Commonwealth).
  • 9 east slavic tribes instead of 5 (4 of them don't exist at the start but can be created via decisions). East tribes have their own cultures.
  • 12 new east slavic cultures: Ulich, Polianian, Volhinian, Dregovich, Severian, Radimich, Vyatich, Ilmen Slav, Krivich, Ruthenian, Ukrainian and Rusyn.
  • East Slavic cultural names for titles.
  • Empire of Russia split in Rus and Siberia.
  • Titular empire of Commonwealth.
  • Kingdoms of Ruthenia and Rus replaced by Kiev, Novgorod and Vladimir.
  • Formable kingdom of Carpathian Rus. After creation it will become de jure part of empire of Carpathia.
  • Titular Kingdoms of Galicia-Volhyinia and Crimea.
  • Part of duchy of Moldau separated into duchy of Bessarabia.
  • Part of duchy of Crimea now known into duchy of Lower Dniepr.
  • Duchy of Cherson integrated into Crimea.
  • County of Tmutaracan moved to duchy of Azov.
  • New decisions and events.
  • 2 new feasts for Slavic religion.
  • All Slavic and Norse rulers can choose one of four deities as the primary one to receive opinion boost and some other bonuses.
  • Not reformed pagan emperor of Rus can convert into Christianity or Islam.
  • East Slavic Culture Conversion system (Details under the spoiler).
    • First wave of conversion in 867-967. Conversion of all tribal cultures into Ruthenian.
    • Each tribal culture can be saved from assimilation into Ruthenian by this conditions: tribal duchy title still exist; tribal duchy title still controlled by a character with appropriate tribal culture (tribe of Ilvem Slavs by Ilmen Slav character, for example).
    • If previous conditions are TRUE than capital province's culture converting back to tribal.
    • If conditions are FALSE then tribal duchy title removes and all characters and provinces with this tribal culture converting into Ruthenian.
    • Second wave of conversion in 1250-1400. Conversion of Ruthenian into Ukrainian (in de jure kingdom of Kiev or under control of ukrainian ruler), Russian (in de jure kingdom of Muscovy or under control of russian ruler) and Rusyn (in de jure duchis of Nyitra, Ungvar, Moldau and Transilvania or under control of rusyn ruler).
Technical information
Checksum: XMJR

Compatible with 2.2 patch.

Replaced files:
  • common/culture/00_cultures.txt
  • common/landed_titles/landed_titles.txt
  • common/on_actions/00_on_actions.txt
  • common/defines.lua
  • common/defines.txt
  • events/culture_conversion_events.txt
  • events/misc_old_gods_events.txt
  • history/characters/russian
  • history/provinces/ 401,402,406-410,412-415,417-419,534-536,541,545-555,567-578,580-587,598,933,934

Changelog
Version 1.1:
  • Fixed bug regarding germanic names of Kiev and Novgorod.
  • Fixed bug regarding missed icons for new decisions.
  • 4 new general events.
  • 2 new events for pagans.
  • Titular empire of Commonwealth. To form it you need to control kingdom titles of Poland and Lithuania.
  • Slavic rulers can choose Dazbog, Jarilo, Lada or Perun as their primary deity to receive opinion boost and little bonuses.
  • New culture for second East Slavic Culture Conversion wave - Rusyn.
  • De jure kingdom of Carpathian Rus that doesn't exist at the start. To form it Rusyn character needs to totally control one of this duchies: Nyitra, Ungvar, Moldau or Transilvania. After creation all 4 duchies will become de jure parts of new kingdom.
  • New cultural names for some titles.
  • Duchy de jure assimilation reduced from 100 years to 75.
  • Titular title creation cost reduced from double to normal.
Version 1.2
  • Added east slavic cultural title names (such as Grand Principality instead of Kingdom, Boyar instead of Baron, etc.)
  • Added 2 new feasts for Slavic religion: Kupala and Koliada.
  • Jarilo Feast moved from May-July to April-May.
  • Not reformed not Tengri pagan emperor of Rus has a decision to start religion reform and change religion to Catholic/Orthodox/Shia/Sunni.
  • Norse rulers can choose Odin, Thor, Freyja or Loki as their primary deity to receive opinion boost and little bonuses.
  • Changes "Hard Times Have Come" description.
  • New CoA for Kingdom of Kiev.
  • Culture conversion's first wave's mean_time_to_happen reduced from 1000 to 800 months.
  • Changed icon for Slavic diety trait.
  • Corrected Lithuanian name for Commonwealth.
  • Fixed wrong pictures for some events.
  • Added tooltip for event RUTH.100 (Additional tribute from vassals).
  • Fixed event RUTH.101 (Additional tribute from province).
  • Fixed event RUTH.107 (Comet).
Version 1.3
  • Reduced amount of cash you can get at the end of Koliada.
  • Returned East SLavic unique buildings.
  • Fixed East Slavic cultural names for some titles.
  • Added dynasties for new cultures.
  • Name of kingdom of Muscovy changed to Vladimir.
  • Fixed some localisations.
Version 1.4
  • Mod compatible with DLC Charlemagne and patch 2.2.
  • De jure dukes in Empire of Rus in 769 and 867 bookmarks replaced with titular tribal dukes.
  • Volhynian, Polianian, Dregovichian, Radimichian, Vyatichian, Krivian and Ilmen Slavian tribes in 769 bookmark. One Ulich province controlled by Magyars.
  • Fixed names for East Slavic Tribes.

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions and criticism below.

Last edited:
Neat. Are volhynians in here? Im in love with their name lol

You might want to add this to the User mod index.

Neat. Are volhynians in here? Im in love with their name lol

Yes. At the 867 bookmark there are 3 volhynian counts under the Lendian liege. You can try and play with one of them, gain independence and form Volhynian Tribe to ensure your culture will survive the culture conversion.

Well, looks like I have a small bit of competition on the Slavic mod front! ;)
The stuff you made seems really interesting, honestly.
Best of luck! :3

Well, looks like I have a small bit of competition on the Slavic mod front! ;)
The stuff you made seems really interesting, honestly.
Best of luck! :3

Competition forces to work better;)
But seriously I think I have somewhat different ideas for improvement also I'm focusing on Rus and East Slavs.
Anyway thx for wishes and good luck for you too!)

When it comes do Dynasty names are you just going to use the Russian ones?

Do you have any ideas about dynasty names? I thinking to change them a little bit maybe but not in the next 1-2 updates.

Competition forces to work better;)
But seriously I think I have somewhat different ideas for improvement also I'm focusing on Rus and East Slavs.
Anyway thx for wishes and good luck for you too!)
Thanks! :D

New version is available!

v1.2 Changelog:
  • Added east slavic cultural title names (such as Grand Principality instead of Kingdom, Boyar instead of Baron, etc.)
  • Added 2 new feasts for Slavic religion: Kupala and Koliada.
  • Jarilo Feast moved from May-July to April-May.
  • Not reformed not Tengri pagan emperor of Rus has a decision to start religion reform and change religion to Catholic/Orthodox/Shia/Sunni.
  • Norse rulers can choose Odin, Thor, Freyja or Loki as their primary deity to receive opinion boost and little bonuses.
  • Changes "Hard Times Have Come" description.
  • New CoA for Kingdom of Kiev.
  • Culture conversion's first wave's mean_time_to_happen reduced from 1000 to 800 months.
  • Changed icon for Slavic diety trait.
  • Corrected Lithuanian name for Commonwealth.
  • Fixed wrong pictures for some events.
  • Added tooltip for event RUTH.100 (Additional tribute from vassals).
  • Fixed event RUTH.101 (Additional tribute from province).
  • Fixed event RUTH.107 (Comet).

May be you should add conversion into Belorussian (name's off, need better) for Ruthenians under Lithuanian (or any Balt?) ruler? Not that it ever happens in ck2 :closedeyes:
Also perhaps Rutenians should become Ukrainian under Polish rulers too.

McRev, great mod! Check your Private Messages!

May be you should add conversion into Belorussian (name's off, need better) for Ruthenians under Lithuanian (or any Balt?) ruler? Not that it ever happens in ck2 :closedeyes:
Also perhaps Rutenians should become Ukrainian under Polish rulers too.
"Belarusian". It is spelled "Belarusian" in English. And the event for changing culture to Ukrainian looks written in a way that, no matter the liege's culture, a Ruthenian character in k_kiev can change to Ukrainian.

Duchy of Cherson integrated into Crimea.

I'm sorry. but the area was Byzantine/Genovese for most of the game's timeframe, and it was very separate from the northern Crimea, and that should be under Anatolia, at least in earlier start dates
Tmturtakan should be in its on duchy, as it was again an independent polity. if not quite its own area.

McRev, great mod! Check your Private Messages!

"Belarusian". It is spelled "Belarusian" in English. And the event for changing culture to Ukrainian looks written in a way that, no matter the liege's culture, a Ruthenian character in k_kiev can change to Ukrainian.
Write to Apple, iPad autocorrects it to Belorussian, those Russian spies are just everywhere.

Anyway the name's off because it's period inappropriate. Anytime in the game timeframe White Rus meant something different, while most of modern day Belarus was known as Black Rus.

Oh, and perhaps you can use Zaporozhian Hetmans' surnames as Ukranian dinasties.

Ruthenia is latin for Russia/Rus. I have no problems about making loads of regional cultures but the name Ruthenian is like if we started calling Catholic Germans teutonics/allemandes or non-Muslim Syrians Assyrian's (their latin names). This name in fact started life in Polish as a tactic to convert Russians to Catholicism and so to control the region.

Now I have nothing against Poland (I wish they colonized us so we could use the latin alphabet) or Ukraine (great country) but pretending the "Ruthenians" existed before the Polish priests who spoke Latin uttered it is silly. It is like making a kingdom of Nigeria or Sudan while forgetting who invented their names. If France had taken over Ukraine Ruthenia would've been known as Russe and we would be splitting Russe early history from Russian early history.

My last point is you know something is seriously amiss when the wikipedia article highlights gleefully
"In the game Crusader Kings 2, a kingdom of Ruthenia can be formed by accumulating enough lands corresponding roughly to today's Belarus, northern Ukraine and western Russia."
:blink: From now on I know it doesn't sound as cool but we're speaking English, lets call Ruthenia by it's english name Russia. What I think you should do is make Ukrainan the inital culture and make Ruthenian an event culture that triggers if your a catholic country and you convert Ukrainians to Catholicism.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. but the area was Byzantine/Genovese for most of the game's timeframe, and it was very separate from the northern Crimea, and that should be under Anatolia, at least in earlier start dates
Tmturtakan should be in its on duchy, as it was again an independent polity. if not quite its own area.

It is true. The reason I integrated Cherson in Crimea and moved Tmutarakan is I wanted to give a king of titular Crimea to become de jure with exact border of Crimea peninsula. I'm planning to do a very big update in which I want to divide Crimea and Cherson again for more historical accuracy.

Write to Apple, iPad autocorrects it to Belorussian, those Russian spies are just everywhere.

Anyway the name's off because it's period inappropriate. Anytime in the game timeframe White Rus meant something different, while most of modern day Belarus was known as Black Rus.

Oh, and perhaps you can use Zaporozhian Hetmans' surnames as Ukranian dinasties.

I'll think of it for the next update in which I'm planning to improve culture conversion mechanics and change it's core idea a little bit.
Actually I have some ideas for cossacks to be represented somehow in game. Anyway thanks for idea.:)
And yes, for now any Ruthenian province in de jure k_kiev or ruled by Ukrainian character can be converted into Ukrainian in 1250-1400.

Ruthenia is latin for Russia/Rus. I have no problems about making loads of regional cultures but the name Ruthenian is like if we started calling Catholic Germans teutonics/allemandes or non-Muslim Syrians Assyrian's (their latin names). This name in fact started life in Polish as a tactic to convert Russians to Catholicism and so to control the region.

Now I have nothing against Poland (I wish they colonized us so we could use the latin alphabet) or Ukraine (great country) but pretending the "Ruthenians" existed before the Polish priests who spoke Latin uttered it is silly. It is like making a kingdom of Nigeria or Sudan while forgetting who invented their names. If France had taken over Ukraine Ruthenia would've been known as Russe and we would be splitting Russe early history from Russian early history.

My last point is you know something is seriously amiss when the wikipedia article highlights gleefully :blink: From now on I know it doesn't sound as cool but we're speaking English, lets call Ruthenia by it's english name Russia.

I understand that since the name of the county was Rus the best way we can call it's nation is Russian. The problem is I think that it is incorrect to call east slavs of Middle Ages as Russians since Muscovy took that word to represent only it's own people, to say to the rest of the world 'Hey, we are the true Heir to the Rus and we have the rightful claim on it's lands so we can conquer them and all of you stay out!' or something like this.
Also the people we know as Ukrainians are not exactly the same as their ancestors but as many of historians think they are the closest of the modern east slavic nation to the old people of Rus. To represent this difference between Ukrainians and old east slavs I use the Ruthenian culture.

Anyway I'm already started to work on the next update. It will be very big overhaul of already implemented mechanics with even new ones. In a nutshell I'm planning to create new provinces, change some titles, fix and somehow fill history files, improve culture conversion, improve Slavic paganism and Orthodox Christianity and some other things.

What I think you should do is make Ukrainan the inital culture and make Ruthenian an event culture that triggers if your a catholic country and you convert Ukrainians to Catholicism.

I will think about your suggestion. I had some thoughts to do something like this (to use Ukrainian as the initial culture) but wasn't sure it will be historically right.