• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Simcity5

Major
18 Badges
Aug 24, 2014
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
New here so forgive me if all this has been answered only just heard of this game a few days ago.

I love a good city building game, I still play Simcity 4, I was hoping for a simcity 5 but as we all probably know maxis had other ideas :)

I thought all hope was lost for a true successor to simcity 4, Then last week I spotted this game and the trailer made me laugh, its was like, how to make a good city building game is basically just do the opposite of what maxis did.

But then as I got deeper into researching it I soon realised how remarkable similar they sounded, like restricting population so they can sim each sim. So some sort of agent system?

Are they going to need to pretend the population is higher like SC13 because of limitations?

I heard there is only 2 density of building. I have seen pictures of small and medium, so can you not make skyscrapers?

I know the obvious mistakes SC13 made have been rectified, like the no offline, no mod tools, insufficient map size.

But what else?

I imagine all the Simcity 2013 insults have been done to death, but as a bit of background probably the only thing I liked about Simcity 2013 was the resource, mining part.

Apart from that I dont think the game got anything right whatsoever. It was awful from the ground up.

I'm hoping this is closer to simcity 4 but with 10 years of advancement. But from what Ive read so far its sounding remarkably similar. Even some of the quotes I read sound exactly like what maxis said.

I would love to see this be a proper city building game, and really stick 2 fingers up at maxis 'vision' as they called it, and if it is done well sell millions to show maxis what they could have won if they hadnt sold out.

I'm not after a Simcity 4 clone with modern graphics but I would certainly settle for that. The most important thing to me is simulation and a sort of realistic approach.

So basically...

Does it have resources?
Do buildings grow if you meet their needs?
Does it only have 2 densities, small, medium?
Can you eventually grow skyscrapers?
Does it have a demand and RCI rule?
Do sims remember where they live? Do they get better jobs with better education and then maybe move into a better house?
Farms?
Wonders? I read those were in, not a fan of them in SC13.
Any other things you might think is relevant?

I dont know how much is actually known or what is speculation at this stage.

Thanks.

Does it have resources?
Do buildings grow if you meet their needs?
Does it only have 2 densities, small, medium?
Can you eventually grow skyscrapers?
Does it have a demand and RCI rule?
Do sims remember where they live? Do they get better jobs with better education and then maybe move into a better house?
Farms?
Wonders? I read those were in, not a fan of them in SC13.
Any other things you might think is relevant?
I might be wrong with some stuff

Yes it has resources.
Yes the buildings change according to whats happening around them (almost 100% sure)
No I did not think that it has only two densities or if they have for sure you will be able to build skyscrapers since they were in CIM2 (Previous game from CO on city transportation and this game is build on similar grounds)
Yes you can see something similar to RCI in the screenshot
Yes sims should remember where they live since in CIM2 every citizen was also simulated and each had his house, job, leisure activities and etc. I think it will be very similar. No I do not think moving into better house for sims will be in since it is nice details not adding much to the simulator but you never know.
Yes agriculture is in the game.
Yes wonder are in the game.

Last edited:
Thanks. I couldnt really get into CIM2, but a city builder based on CIM2 sounds pretty good. I preferred the realistic-er look and scale, than the cartoon simple style sc13 went for. More gritty, although the screenshots look like a cross between CIM2 and simcity. More colourful and easy to look at.

I think it will be very similar. No I do not think moving into better house for sims will be in since it is nice details not adding much to the simulator but you never know.

I mean sims can evolve, get better, get wealthier, therefore can afford to move to a better house which I think would add alot to the sim.

Districts will be placed according to traditional city builder zoning rules (with two different zone densities,)
http://www.incgamers.com/2014/08/ci...ty-builder-not-just-kick-simcity-in-the-balls

Thats where I read there was only 2 densities of buildings. And I dont think Ive seen a screen shot of a skyscraper yet.

I just realised the release date is next year. I thought it was a 2014 game. But some sort of early access coming soon.

My best hope is that second density + policy = skyscrapers or not.

Something like
- light density + sub-urban policy = houses
- high density + sub-urban policy = apartment buildings max
- light density + city center policy = apartment buildings min
- high density + city center policy = skyscrapers max

I mean sims can evolve, get better, get wealthier, therefore can afford to move to a better house which I think would add alot to the sim.

This is, in its own way, in the game. The citizens get wealthier and upgrade. :)

Man I still boot up SimCity 3000 Unlimited! That's circa 1999/2000 game. SimCity 4 was really great too. But SimCity 3000 is my personal favorite.

I loved simcity 3000, but when 4 came out it was hard to go back to 3, then 5 came out and it was very easy to go back to 4 :).

I enjoy a good city builder game, but SC4 is in desperate needing a replacement.

Cities XL, It was missing something for me, not sure what but it didnt have that magic. I played banished which was ok, but kind of basic, Anno similar.

I'm hoping this game fills the hole in the market.

Oh, And thanks.

Cities XL, It was missing something for me, not sure what but it didnt have that magic. I played banished which was ok, but kind of basic, Anno similar.

Banished was amazing, but had only half the content it needed. The simulation, UI, feels, music etc. were great though. Their sole (!) developer just opened up for modding so I'll be revisiting that game in a year or so and see what has happened.