• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Next part of chapter 9 are in a few more hours, even though I'm a dev I'll still hold up to the rules of the forum :glare:

Ow yeah this is from before Way Of Life, when I catch up to my backlog I'm going to start use focuses.... Hmm I wonder what focus would be the favorite in the Vogelius Family? :D

Ow yeah this is from before Way Of Life, when I catch up to my backlog I'm going to start use focuses....
Is it with CM and 2.2?

Is it with CM and 2.2?

I think chapter 10 or 11 will be with CM, in patch 2.2 I think it was when I changed so if you are a strong duke its harder for your liege to imprison you. This AAR is exactly why, I'm like more than half of Denmark and the King of Denmark just constantly willy nilly imprisoned me and forced me to pay him ransom. Was really annoying.

I have a big backlog of already prepared stuff so I'll be pushing out updates quickly now over the holidays.

I think chapter 10 or 11 will be with CM, in patch 2.2 I think it was when I changed so if you are a strong duke its harder for your liege to imprison you. This AAR is exactly why, I'm like more than half of Denmark and the King of Denmark just constantly willy nilly imprisoned me and forced me to pay him ransom. Was really annoying.

I have a big backlog of already prepared stuff so I'll be pushing out updates quickly now over the holidays.
OK, Great! :) Continue like this and I will be happy during the holidays.

VykRGfK.png

Sivard is ready to march his troops against the man who betrayed him, Maslaw of Piast, now reigning in Sweden as King of the Swedes. Unfortunately King Maslaw was prepared and his troops overwhelms the Scanian troops.

INmciTO.png
wxvnPPh.png
5JzPWxh.png

Maslaw being a member of the royal house of the Polish Kingdom of course gets promised assistance from his family but they being busy with a huge revolt will pose no threat to the Scanian campaign. As a way to try and make the Swedes split their troops thin, Sivard decides to go and raid Uppsala and later actually siege Öland.

U3LckDi.png
rB0jFeN.png
LaoGylI.png

But this strategy don't pay off and the Swedish troops soon enough catches wind of it and engages the Bulgarian mercenaries put on Öland and defeats them. The Bulgarians even manages to find a bottleneck to fight out of but it is not enough as they are still overwhelmed.

GkLhhn0.png
okbEnFA.png
ox19nfl.png

As Sivard has grown old, his wounds pain him and with the string of defeats he looses his status as a berserker. With the morale of both Sivard and his men down he have no choice but to end the war and surrender to King Maslaw.

JmGbhH6.png
wRmhIQc.png

As the war ends and Sivard returns home he sees his son Grim in his bed dead and murdered. Inge the brother of Sivard didn't even try to hide the fact he was the culprit, confident that he being righteous christian and as such nothing can happen to him. Sivard immediately chases after him but Inge flees to the court of Valdemar in Norway, the count of Bergenhus. In return Sivard takes Inge's wife Bodil from his dungeons and hangs her in the name of the Allfather, may she enjoy her life in Hel as Inge has to enjoy his in the mountains of Norway.

bkoA96X.png
fn1SAJX.png
YaBPjmi.png

The years pass and the catholics talk of a great war for the holy land where their god was born. In the meantime Sivard starts his own war against the Finns in order to expand himself before the Valkyries come to fetch him. Not much resistance is met as the Vikings land and seize the county.

4Ar0xgv.png
PHWMjeo.png
vjSsyZ9.png

And as we end this chapter, we can see the Rus kingdom and the finish Kingdom being formed, and it will be interesting to see the future of this region.

ggFpzaq.png

Yahoo! The Rising Raven is back! Looks like I'll have to reread this as I don't remember how you got to this point.

2sVWU5W.png

Our Jarl, Sivard, great news of the year 1145 is that his concubine gives birth to two healthy babies, twin brother and sister. Less so great seems to be that the cross worshipers was successful in their holy war against the moslem about a city in the land of sand. The main contributor of these wars were the German Empire, the emperor declares the Kingdom of Jerusalem, named after the city and places one of his dynasty members, a Salian, on the throne.

enw7MWm.png
0Aul4K8.png
glBKIPU.png

I created and released Jerusalem manually later, thought it would be more interesting.)

The Jarldom rarely saw peace and as such Sivard saw it fit to expand upon the training grounds to field a even bigger and stronger army of housecarls. The loss of the holy city of Jerusalem was taken quite hard by the local nearby Arabic rulers and the caliphate soon enough decides to strike back at the German invaders.
hXi95WL.png
29gDRHE.png

However Jarl Sivard has been struggling with his horrible wounds from previous wars and finally succumb to a horrible fever. His two sons inherit this titles and the new Jarl of Skåne is his oldest son Gnupa. Long live Jarl Gnupa! Amusingly the one that takes the place of Regent for Gnupa is the last descendant of the af Bornholm family, the catholic family that once ruled the Duchy of Skåne that fought against the Vogelius.

Christian Jensen, the last living of his family has since long realized his fore fathers mistakes and adopted Norse paganism as the one true faith. Being highly skilled in stewardship he had served as the late Jarl's steward for a long time. And now he continues on in service of the Vogelius Family as the regent of Gnupa.

mh1Loox.png

However being a young boy holding Skåne the King Ernst of Denmark hopes that this would make Skåne weak and with a regent of a former catholic and rival family that the matter would be easy to push trough. However he was wrong, Christian shows his zealous dedication to the new ways he had adopted and his loyalty to the Jarldom of Skåne and refuses the demands of his liege. The war is over before it even started, Christian charges with the troops into the capital of the Danish king situated on Halland.

Rumors are spreading from Desmond that the Vogelius member placed there to rule has been out raiding and brought back home loads of gold. The Danish king just been defeated can do nothing to enforce his law to the distant parts of his realm. The regent decides that a member of that part of the line would make a suitable wife for Gnupa as he grows up. The sister of Martha of Desmond is chosen, a quick little girl that would serve the coming Jarl well.

TNyfhn5.png
DH76Ere.png
9ZMS0dO.png

Even though as an achievement raising a rune-stone is, it is quite cumbersome as new ways to write down history are conceived. The latest fad being to write down using ink and parchments. The people of all of Scandinavia quickly adopts this new revolutionary way of writing. However Regent Christian is very inclined in still teaching little Gnupa in how to write with runes as per tradition, so all that changes for the Jarldom of Skåne is the medium on which it is written.

While Gnupa is still being educated in Trelleborg Christian sends of a Viking commander eager for adventure to fight in Finland and grab more land before it gets taken by someone else.

Gnupa don't know what Zoroastrian even is but he is still taught how the Mazdaki, once a heresy, has come to replace the Zoroastrian faith.

rg473G8.png
4dMNWeT.png
RagUdIJ.png

Gnupa as a young boy loves food, more than anything giving his guardian various of problems to deal with. While the young boy is having fun in the kitchen Christian launches an invasion of Åland, aiming to get a beach head on the Swedish capital for the next time they have a war and end it quickly before the future allies of Sweden can come to her aid. As the Scanian troops gears for war, so does the rest of the Catholic world as the Arabs declare their holy war for their sacred city.

So much blood for a city in the sands, it puzzled the Vikings of Skåne. however it couldn't have been better timed as this meant that Sweden would have no holy orders at their disposals in order to fight the pagans invading their island.

ARwzUWI.png
XZwvmxb.png
q54G9rf.png

The first battle does not bode well, the Swedes have the advantage in numbers and military expertise. However the soldiers of the battle spoke off how an one eyes old man rode with the cavalry to victory against all odds. A second wave strikes against the Vikings however their morale was soaring from the initial victory and they chase the Swedes back down to the water and follows them to Uppsala.

xzVx62I.png
ErHdhEO.png

ErHdhEO.png
qLiEWX4.png
G7H8ZHr.png

While the Scanians are busy fighting Sweden, King Ernst find it perfect time to raise the law of crown authority in the kingdom.

gxp8bAH.png

The education of Gnupa continues, however he grows a quite bad trait for being the leader of the Vogelius family. He grows cynical of the norse ways and starts questioning the Gydja's of their practices. Luckily the Guardian takes notice of it and beats this horrible behavior out of Gnupa.

yel36dP.png
ViW9jbo.png

Though suddenly the Queen of Poland passes away, wife of Einar of Denmark, Father of King Ernst "the Fat" of Denmark and the only legitimate heir to the Polish throne. As such King Ernst realm more than doubles in the blink of an eye.

5lPZlkV.png
cF6dsu9.png

Now.... The Jarl of Skåne is no longer the largest ruler in the no longer weak Kingdom of Denmark....

Reactions:
This chapter was short as it was written during the last phase of Charlemagne's DLC development so I was quite busy. So its only in one part. From what I understood the old rule of 20 images per post has become a guideline rather than an enforced rule? So I hope I'm not stepping on any toes right now.

Anyway I'm quite interested in how many actually reads this? I'm gonna keep writing even if no one reads because I enjoy this too much and I'm looking forward when the Vogelius are guiding their nation in World War 2 in 1935 :D

This chapter was short as it was written during the last phase of Charlemagne's DLC development so I was quite busy. So its only in one part. From what I understood the old rule of 20 images per post has become a guideline rather than an enforced rule? So I hope I'm not stepping on any toes right now.

Anyway I'm quite interested in how many actually reads this? I'm gonna keep writing even if no one reads because I enjoy this too much and I'm looking forward when the Vogelius are guiding their nation in World War 2 in 1935 :D

Count me in !

Is that an Empire of Lithuania?

Is that an Empire of Lithuania?

No still a Pagan Kingdom, but just very very very large. Its the dominant power in the region. Being my old ally I do my best to protect them and they get some troubles in the next chapter and I give them my aid in my own special way :D

I read it and will follow you through colonization, renaissance, absolutism, industrialization, dictature and democratization!

I read it and will continue to do so unless it becomes a Realpolitik. In that case, I would skip the story.

zjJWAmN.png

Ernst of Denmark now as well King of Poland a lot more families are introduced to the realm of the Estrids. The Kingdom of Denmark is no longer just a struggle between the Estrids and the Vogelius families fighting over power in the kingdom. With this influx of polish noblemen with their own ambitions, the stability of the realm were threatened. The Jihad of Jerusalem ends in failure as the King of Jerusalem is a close kin of the Roman Emperor, as such is given his support to defend their sacred city. The growth of our Jarl Gnupa continues on and he becomes content with his position in life, being one of the wealthiest subjects of the Danish King and most influential he doesn't see the need of expansion.

AdW43HY.png
zZQZ8R2.png
Zy8m5t5.png

In the following year of 1159, it seems to be a year of war and conflict. The Queen of France goes to war with England over some of the old Normandy demesne and half of Norway raises in revolt against their king, led by the Duke of Trøndelag. Regent Christian sees his opportunity to do a right wrong, take back Mære from the cross worshippers in Naumdal. An old site of worship by the norse faithful, Christian saw it time to take it back under a ruler who would revive the place to its old use.

i25v3sQ.png
bEkeHhG.png
zobEyG4.png

The warriors of Skåne sail in on the fjords of Naumdal, the morning mist still hanging in the air as they land and head to the settlements to seize them from the Norwegian rulers. As news reached the Norwegians they all started converging of beating back the heathens, putting aside their squabbles internally. The lords reach the army of Christian in May as the warmth is returning to Scandinavia. The army started as Four-thousand men strong but thanks to the cold 200 dies off so the Scanian Vikings are facing 3800 men against their own 3300. Its a long series of skirmishes before the Norwegian soldiers have enough and retreat away to let Naumdal to fall to its faith.

During the conflicts in the north however, in the year of 1160, Gnupa's mother dies of Smallpox.

X5sifjw.png
4q8tiq6.png
UDD0fTv.png

Two years later, Gnupa and his twin sister reaches adulthood, he becoming a detached priest while his sister turning into a grey eminence. Now grown up, Jarl Gnupa follows through his Regent's bethrothral and marries Ellinor, the smart and promising daughter of the Chieftess of Desmond. However shortly after this marriage, a woman claiming to be Vølva named Anna arrives at our Jarl's court, Gnupa decides she is more than welcome to stay, so far to even taking her into his bed. Rumors spread around the court how she has put Gnupa under her galdr, or as the non-norse would say, spell or witchcraft. She is eventually also given the temple of Mære and the entire county of Naumdal as a reward for her "services".

oqpfPHX.png
jFZEfXn.png
SvNxx5M.png

As Gnupa takes on the reigns of the Jarldom, the focus changes to internal matters and taking care of his subjects and demesne, caring for his family's legacy. He starts with handing out the responsibility of managing the county of Satakunta to his vassal, Chieftain Kolli of Finland. News come from Halland that Ernst, King of Denmark has expelled all people who adhere to the Jewish faith from his realm. A caravan from far away land arrives at Trelleborg asking to enter the fortress, Gnupa curious of these different looking men invites them in to hear of their tales and stories.

C30QrTr.png
ODhTUVb.png
2LQ1Cr3.png

The merchant tells amazing stories about his home, a land so far away that not even the old Vikings traveled there, being even beyond Miklagard and even Særkland and Baghdad. The Norse court listening in on the stories and description of "Hindustan" were enthralled by the idea that there were still more places to discover, even further away than the furthest a Norse man has ever been, even further away than Baghdad. Some even started to dream about going out on adventure yet again, however Gnupa was content with just hearing these stories with a goblet of wine in his hand and the fireplace crackling.

As the merchant has to leave yet again, he offers his host a lavish gift, a complete loyal thrall who would serve Gnupa at all times. With the Hávamál having strong stanzas on disloyalty and the foul deeds of deception, loyalty was something very highly regarded within Skåne and as such Gnupa accepts the gift. The thrall reveals his name is Gao, coming from a tribe in Blåland and that he would serve the Jarl until he meets his end. Gnupa appoints him Marshal and Hirdsman, keeping him at his side at all times they grew a deep friendship and trust over the years.

jQV2lba.png
8CLHKeE.png
v9r5AEa.png

zjJWAmN.png

The King of the Holy Lands, Hermann of Jerusalem is yet again at war with the Fatamids in the year of 1163, however his kin and ally in the Holy Roman Empire does not seem to aid him any support in fighting that war so it might be the end of the Christian Kingdom in the land of Muslims. The Reconquista seem to still be at a stalemate, the Argonese realms have united again under one banner and the Kingdom of Léon is the strongest one with the Swedish Kingdom of Castille being the wildcard.. The Queen of France won the war against the English taking back land from Normandy, the English now also seem to be under pressure form upset vassals.

A closer look on Vogelius own demesne show terrible news, Martha of Desmond, daughter of Karl the original Chieftain seem to be the last Vogelius to rule in the county. The heir is her son, but of her late husbands dynasty. He's faithful to Romuvan religion, a pagan predominant in the Baltic coast. The marriage came from Karl and Grim's alliance with the Lithuanian Pagan King to get his aid and it has now ended with Karl's legacy disappearing, never did they think that it would end like this.

5vd9q2H.png
9rDvRCE.png
mlvEX62.png

The population of Skåne's realm is growing as it is stable under the rule of Gnupa without war and with a steady increasing wealth. Several Scanian men and women decide to pick up merchant profession and migrate to the nearby island of Rana for the opportunities it poses and how much closer it is to the German empire where most of Europe's wealth lie. The problem however this causes is strife and conflict between the Pommeranian nobles and the Scanian nobles. Catholicism was still the major faith of the population, and even though the population viewed themselves as Vikings, going to new places for trade, adventure or exploits they were still faithful Christians. But the duke of Obotritia ignored this and used the excuse of heathenry to persecute the Scanian merchants.

It does not take long before this dispute ends in war, with the huge Scanian Heathen army have to fight of the Holy Order of Knights Hospatilier once again. Gnupa takes heavy losses but the right flank manages to find a narrow point to fight the Knights on to keep them at bay while the center of the Danish troops press forward with full strength.

0BVBDo2.png
gx4KIDf.png
lsnSXn8.png

The narrow point was all that the troops on the right flank needed, it gave time for the center front to break their enemies and then force back the right front enemies from the battlefield. With the right front under pressure from two flanks it eventually succumbs and they flee off the island. After that the fight ends quite shortly with only 2 000 troops surrounded by almost 10 000 Vikings charging at them. However the army surrounded, nowhere to flee the Duke is captured and as retribution of his crimes he's forced to cede Rana to Gnupa. The bishopric of Arkona on the island is transformed into a temple for the gods and given to Gnupa's twin sister Gudrun.

AHkAi5w.png
8S6himc.png
7Q3M4xL.png

With this peace, stability returns to the people who calls themselves Scanian and security is ensured. Gnupa takes pride in the fact that you can freely travel to any part of his realm and that his subjects are safe. Later it becomes known that his first child is born, a daughter named Sigrid.

With peace returned the Jarl can go back to studying the realms far away from the north and a newly formed Andalusian Emirate peaks his interest. Yahaff known as "The Liberator" has formed his own catholic land inside the Muslim southern part of Iberia and he has been quite successful in establishing his own dominance.

zsNalqM.png
BNVWo1N.png
kgASxo6.png

The other Iberian kingdomss, bar the Argonese one have had Swedish influences, even so far to have Swedish people migrate there. The ruler of Castille have adopted the local culture but for a long time was Swedish and they still keep their Swedish dynasty name of "Stråben". The core realm of Skåne still remains the same, bar the inclusion of the island Rana, or Rügen, to the south.

However soon enough the peace is broken and the Danish-Polish kingdom declares a "Holy War" against the large Lithuanian Pagan kingdom to the north.

xzJnDv8.png
fVxcKMf.png
asRtDzI.png

The battle lines are quickly drawn and the Lithuanians are quick to mobilize their tribes to defense. However the pagan nobles of Skåne demands action to be taken, the King is relying heavily on the levies that Gnupa provides through the feudal contract and they demand that we do not tolerate that our troops, our men are used for something so foul as to slaughtering of innocents based on their beliefs.

So Gnupa feels forced to refuse King Ernsts call to arms, citing his family never agreed to pointless wars that does not concern the safety of the realm. The response is a bit harsh..... and we are yet again at war with our own liege.....

XEhRS6c.png
rZL87Z9.png

There we go, almost caught up with my backlog, should have the next chapter up here tomorrow, then we'll be up to speed and I'll do a update on the world, religion, independent realms and such.

Suffer not the Heathens to live!

Spread the faith of the old!

Reactions:
Ugh getting a bit too many updates in one page, so instead I'll try and get you guys to discuss, what should I do with the Fylkariate when I eventually form it?

Try and make it my primary title? Create the custom empire of the Fylkariate? Give Uppland and the surrounding area to the title and make it independent? Just keep it for myself and proclaim the Vogelius family as the descendants of Odin?

There is also the case with what should happen with the title when the game becomes converted to EU4? I could potentially script some special stuff for it, maybe use the papal system for it.

I'm leaning towards making the Fylkariate independent and use the college of cardinals system from Sons of Abraham, however how would a Fylkir be elected? The Fylkir isn't a gydja, so it would have to be chosen among the lords who adhere to the Norse faith right? Maybe replicate the "Imperial city" mechanic of the HRE in EU3 so you have some holy lands transferred with the duchy title if you win it? What do you guys think would fit for Vikings reborn?

A small spoiler of things to come....

cdcvsuo.png