• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes!! No more Christian overlords!

Its only the Duke of Skåne that I am rebelling against, I will probably avoid becoming independent until I have enough power. Don't want that insane crusade pointed in my direction just yet.

Are you going to model this after Wiz's playthrough in that it's a megacampaign?

Yes I will, my plan is to later have the Fylkariate use the HRE mechanics in EU4.

I'm sorry, but could somebody give me a link to Wiz's AAR. While this one is coming out with new updates, I'd love to read it.

Yes I will, my plan is to later have the Fylkariate use the HRE mechanics in EU4.

Cool, ill be sure to follow it until the end :)

I'm sorry, but could somebody give me a link to Wiz's AAR. While this one is coming out with new updates, I'd love to read it.

He is doing one currently with Azerbaijan as a mega campaign on the SomethingAwful forums, but unless you have an account you can't read it (and it costs money to get an account).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429306 if you have an account here it is.

There is also his even older mega campaign here were he played the Hohenzolleren dynasty in CK1 and all the way into HoI2, which is archived and can be read without an account! :

http://lparchive.org/Paradox-Hohenzollern/

Cool, ill be sure to follow it until the end :)

He is doing one currently with Azerbaijan as a mega campaign on the SomethingAwful forums, but unless you have an account you can't read it (and it costs money to get an account).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429306 if you have an account here it is.

There is also his even older mega campaign here were he played the Hohenzolleren dynasty in CK1 and all the way into HoI2, which is archived and can be read without an account! :

http://lparchive.org/Paradox-Hohenzollern/

Thanks! reading the Hohenzollern one, the one I can read.

Currently I am porting over the chapters to SA as well but as soon as I am done chapter 6 will come up.
It kinda annoys me that I can only do 5 years updates most of the time so I might start doing chapters double as long, but save up half the part to post a day or two later.

How does that format sound?

Fine by me, as long as content keeps coming out I will continue to read.

There we go, freshened everything up with banners. Time to start writing.

This looks awesome man!

So, you shagged your boy's lady, huh? I feel so sorry for him...

This looks awesome man!

So, you shagged your boy's lady, huh? I feel so sorry for him...

Ey you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the family going :D

Ey you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the family going :D

I hope your overall intrigue beats your son's, then. I did what you did once just for fun and let's just say Daddy's heir took over a little too early.

I guess Odin condones adultery more than Tengri does.

Well if you go by Hávamal then Odin himself did some very questionable things.

Last edited:
In my absence you really started writing. How fun!

yBd2uOB.png

The Scanian Duke had several allies in the Danish Kingdom, he quickly rallied the Count of Lybæk and the Duke of Jylland to his defence. Henrik cursed at the name of Harald, obviously having quickly forgotten how Henrik and his housecarls bled for the Duke of Jylland's failed uprising against the Danish king. However no matter how many Duke Egil of Skåne rallies to him it would be of no concern for our Chieftan. Henrik has grown to strong being able to fight of all of the Kingdom but the King himself at the same time.

Henrik's former liege stands no chance. The massive army amassed by Henrik has earned their experience fighting in Ireland and only a few troops are lost to the enemy skirmish.

wONBNX0.png
z1scxA1.png

The war was clearly already over, Jylland together with Lybæk had no way to defend the island of Bornholm from the Scanian soldiers, the only ones allowed to call themselves to be Scanian's. Jylland not wanting to lose his levy sends it off to siege Dunasead in Ireland instead of facing off in glorious battle!

Western Europe has actually become stable, the Kingdoms of Aquitaine and France were after several years of infighting at peace. However the Scandinavians are plenty busy meddling in the British isles. The Iberian Kingdoms partaking in the Reconquista has been quite successful without any help from the French, it will be interesting to see how that develop.

As predicted, as Bornholm falls a year after the war starts, so does the Duke of Skåne, and Henrik earns his position to yet again be a vassal under the tyrannical king of Denmark....

AhamaXR.png
tWJOnCJ.png
THiKQ3o.png

The King of Denmark knowing the threat that Henrik is starting to pose immediately gives him the position Master of the Horse in hopes it would pacify his bloodlust somewhat. However it doesn't matter Henrik who still starts his Faction to lower the crown authority of Denmark. As it is right now with these laws Henrik can't claim what rightfully belongs to Skåneland and thus Henrik, Blekinge, Halland and Bornholm.

But the constant wars and the many years has taken a toll of our Chieftan and in the end of September, 1092 he passes away to the afterlife. Even if it wasn't a warriors death, his sons are sure that Odins welcomes this great warrior to Valhalla none the less.

The title of Desmond goes to Karl, the third son of Henrik. The primary inheritor that takes over Skåne is his second son Grim.

nRCmcoW.png

G5ykkHb.png

OgzfEMR.png

The two brothers ruling together their fathers old demesne together. The transition went quite peaceful and Karl was quite happy with his seat in Desmond.
However Karl he doesn't get to keep his county for long because of a greedy tyrant for King and has to flee for refuge at his brothers keep.

O3VnfnJ.png
jt56Ydc.png
aglXKol.png

Grim was furious, to take away what was rightfully their fathers and that he and his closest and worked hard to build up. Now ripped away from his children as if it was nothing, it was despicable. The greedy king Knud "The Great" of course couldn't wait to also get ahold of the perl of Henrik's demesne, Skåne. Grim and Karl went together to their men to lead them. They were looking forward to facing the foolish Danish king at battle, each hoping to cleave his skull with an axe.

- "Tonight, Copenhagen shall burn to the ground my brother" Karl said to his worried brother Grim preparing to defend his fathers land. "Father will welcome us in Valhalla after we've struck down Knud like the pig he is."

HMNwbdu.png
zk77jaB.png

About 2000 men who were loyal to Henrik swear to Grim and Karl to fight for them and take revenge upon the name of their father.They begin their assault on the island of Själland, raping, pillaging and destroying it for what its worth, punishing the very heart of the Danish king.

The fortress of Ringested is sacked and the Princess of Poland, Wisna of the Piast family is dragged out and presented in-front of Karl and Grim. She's brave and big mouthed and in broken Danish proclaims how her father, the king of Poland, and her husband who is one of the many princes of Knud will kick them down and burn his home to the ground. A fitting woman to take as concubine and a humiliating defeat to the Estrid family and their allies.

However Grim receives message from home that his newborn child named after his father Henrik has died as a sickly infant.

dmU1v6D.png
Q809qZg.png

However he has no time to grief, the Danish army is starting to move and King Knud is emptying out his treasury to fund his already drained armies. 4 000 Royalists are advancing on Själland, 3 000 is about to land from ships in the sound. Grim quickly spends a big chunk of his wealth to hire the Bulgarian Band to defend Själland. The battle ensues and the tired soldiers in the middle flank immediately falls making the core of the Danish army, the 2 000 soldiers on the right flank exposed and they start loosing troops by the hundred.

With that initial loss the Danes are broken and the rest of the army is quickly swept up by the Scanian troops with minimal losses. With that one battle the Danes have nothing left to defend themselves. Knud has no money left, no troops and his subjects tired of his constant warmongering, he is forced to accept the demands.

All hail the new bastard king of Denmark, King Eric of Denmark.

aZS57HI.png
hCf0nK9.png
jTdcyNC.png

...Continuation of Chapter 6 will be posted in the weekend...

This chapter is quite big so for the paradox forum its split up in two parts.

yBd2uOB.png

He soon shows his worth being as horrible as his predecessor. After the war against the Tyranny of Knud Estrid, the law of autonomous vassals was once enacted again as their father wanted. But Erik's first order of business is to yet again remove this right they deem to be theirs. At least some good news come as the chamber maiden tell Grim that he is father of a baby boy named Inge.

However with a whole Kingdom still tired from endless battles King Erik follows in the footsteps as expected of King Knud.

- "HOW DARE THESE ESTRIDS DEMAND THIS YET AGAIN" Grim screams to his warriors, "I know you are tired, I am tired but these christians believe they can do whatever they want against us Norse. But I tell you, the Vogelius house shall be the true faiths last defence! We shall never falter in our never ending task of protecting you and your families."

ZE1KZ7t.png
58uUuEe.png
enNas6h.png

Its to war again, both sides weary of the last one so its quite quick. After the Scanians make short work of the remnants of the Kings Army, Erik quickly agrees to a white peace. However the wound is already too deep and both Grim and Karl now view the whole of the Estrid family as their mortal enemies.

The Vogelius family from here on out sat in motion everything they can to hurt their new enemies in whatever way they could. Being the second most powerful family, being far behind Estrid's, it wouldn't be an easy task. But it had to be done in honour of Henrik's memory.

oQ6hREB.png
5o2el81.png

As the focus for the two brothers switched to plotting instead, the years ahead was quite quiet and peaceful as they prepared for their revenge and waited for their opportunity.

Looking outwards in the year of 1096, the world remains the same, however the HRE has inherited a big chunk of the Kingdom of Aquitaine, namely the duchy of Bourbon and Aquitaine. A small revolt for some law change but nothing major. The fighting in Iberia is still going on, neither the Muslims or the Christians can get a decisive win so far.

EaiADam.png
UY7Y3hA.png

First and foremost the Vogelius brothers are going to need a power base to fight the Danish king from. Yes the two brothers were the only one next to the king in power, however it wasn't enough because they had to also potentially fight the allies of the king, Sweden, Norway and Poland. Though Poland was no longer an ally of Denmark since the previous Danish King failed to protect his daughter, it was still something that could possibly be mended by the new King.

Anyway the first step they took is to start trying to get a hold of the title 'Duchy of Skåne', feeling no one else should be allowed to be calling themselves rulers of Skåne. It would also give them legal claims to Halland and Blekinge, both which conveniently belonged to the Crown.

Also while Grim is on the Hunt with his brother a strange bearded elder approaches their camp. Grim and all his companions are sure of it that it was Odin the Wanderer and he immediately abandons his hunt and seeks of the tales that this mysterious figure told of. However no great treasure is found, however they come home instead happy with a new kind of joy as the one found when children, perhaps that was the treasure he spoke of?

At his gates his wife stands waiting for him with yet another child in her arms, she tells him she named her Grethe. Over-joyous he orders a feast in the castle!

jIsbrTd.png

XAaxgnD.png
4r97K4A.png

The years pass, in midsummer of 1099 news reach Grim of the Hashshashin Order of Assassins spreading their tentacles to Syria trying to exert control over the Holy lands. The despicable King Erik's reign wasn't for long, 6 years after his acquisition of the throne he dies and Denmark is now ruled by Queen Helena. May she not be as despicable scum as her predecessor.

Also another child is born to Grim, this one named Emilie. The gods certainly seem to be smiling upon the Vogelius family at this time, after all their struggle they've gone trough it is certainly a nice change of wind.

cfKycPP.png
EmXfGgq.png
JsLh9l9.png

The new Queen is not an idiot, by far she is the most competent of the regents of Denmark in a long time. The first thing she does is recognize the threat the Vogelius family is, but instead of actively going after them she makes them vassals of the Duke of Skåne, preventing them from immediately attacking the crown again. The duke afraid of what they can do tries to please them and throws a feast to the two brothers which they happily attend to.

4gLF9hS.png
3unHFHF.png
xCZv2eo.png

However later that year the Duke of Skåne is imprisoned by the Queen for plotting against the crown. Grim thanks Loki and uses this opportunity to hire a professional killer to take care of the Duke.

enf0vjC.png
AVliIyz.png

More time passes, several more children to Karl and Grim are born, however what is interesting is that the Queen of Denmark dies under "suspicious circumstances" and shortly after the Ynglings of Horway start a war to try and put their own on the throne, an old lady that won't live for long. However the Norwegian King is supported by both Sweden and the Holy Roman Empire so the Danish army doesn't last for long.

It ends as quickly as it was started, close after this event the Pope declares a new era of the Crusades.

eG6LWN7.png
h0r1gcy.png

The old Norwegian hag dies of age quick enough and is replaced by a new Estrid family member elected by the dukes. However, Själland is inherited by a Swedish duke, Grim and Erik sense that the opportunity to gain their power base to fight the Danish king has at long last come upon them...

KCyDV7E.png

A boar that fought valiantly is sacrificed in the gods honour for this.

Looks like you're having a blast, Groogy!

I myself only just found out the joys of playing the Norse as Jorvik. Gavalkind can be such a pain, but it sure shakes up the game!

plUF4T0.png

Our chapters begin with the vile Duke of Skåne imprisoning our dear Grim for some easy money to his coffers. Grim of course pays the symbolic tribute to not get his head chopped of. This was however the Duke's gravest mistake as Grim immediately upon arrival calls upon his Housecarls to grab their weapons and head for Bornholm to yet again declare their superiority over their liege. Of course the Armies of Bornholm are but a joke in comparison to Grim's army and they fall easily. The Duke even shows being incompetent at leading his small army.

7lbq1PZ.png

m3JwXxO.png
[
YuDqQqs.png

Grim without fear or hesitation charges in leading his army against the Bornholm Army, his men beside him inspired by his courage. After the defeat of the Bornholm armies, Grim doesn't settle only with that, but he forces also upon the af Bornholm family that the new Duke Jens shall be promised to be married with Emilie Grimsdatter and put under guardianship of Grim. These measures were to try and force the Bornholm's to stop abusing the rights the Vogelius family has been claiming for so long.

qwxxJb0.png
WRVxBzn.png

With peace to the county now, and Grim sure that Jens won't dare to go against him. Grim goes forward with marrying his heir Sivard to Gunhald, the daughter of the Åland Chieftan, one of the last holdouts for Norse believers in Sweden. Grim eventually hear his Christian subjects chatter about that their religious leader down in Italy has declared some sort of holy war against some other religion.

Unfortunately Ulvhilde of Frille dies of an illness she caught while travelling down to Skåne and dies young without bearing any children. But Sivard proposes to his father a courtier that he had been courting for a while as a possible bride, Grim reluctantly accepts but realizes the family legacy is more important than prestige.

nXW7upS.png

D2xW8DV.png
14vMucD.png

With all the problems out of mind and the county of Skåne stable and strong, Grim and his brother Karl decides to head out for glory and to seize the golden opportunity the gods have given them. The Vogelius family is now at war with the King of Sweden and all her subjects to take back Sjælland for Denmark.

They are fully aware that this war will be different, they are now facing a big strong King capable of fighting them and crushing them. Grim being of a more deceitful nature has been making sure to be well informed of the courts of Scandinavia, and the King Henrik of Sweden has been fighting all of his neighbours, having no allies to call upon in case war at this moment happens, added to that the wars he has been waging has left Sweden bankrupt, having a deficit of 400.

As war is declared the Scanian army crosses the sound and rages over Sjælland yet again however this time to claim the land for themselves.

NU76yzS.png
qBvkN3k.png

Grim has been laying siege for the last 3 years now without any resistance of the Swedish Duke owning Sjælland or even the Swedish King. The only news he hears of that is of any interest is that the holy war of the Cross worshippers has failed and their Pope's ambitions of conquering distant land remains dead.

outW1Kl.png

But finally, as all of Sjælland falls under the control of Grim, the Swede's show up with just about a thousand men to fight the Scanian's, believing that a lowly chieftain and heathen would be of no threat to the army of a King. Seeing it as a joke, Grim decides to command his army himself as he faces the Swede's. Not before long the Swede's are forced to route by the tactics employed by Grim and a little less than 300 men manages to survive the onslaught as the Scanian cavalry pursues the fleeing soldiers.

loe5JZN.png
EURiNgs.png
cvqSY2h.png

The remnants of the Swedish Army comes back to their king telling how the Norse showed no fear fighting them and fighting beyond what they expected, not being just mere peasantry adhering to a false religion. Henrik of Sweden having lost face, is furious and mounts his entire army even if he can't afford it, even going so far to call in the King of Norway in the conflict, refusing to lose to a chieftain. However Grim is prepared, knowing he can't win facing both the fury of the Swedish King but also the famous Norwegian army that has been giving victories to the Yngling King constantly in the British Isles since 1066.

Grim is deceitful, and does not cower from using unorthodox tactics and does not face the enormous army head on. Instead he orders his men to board the longboats and head out to sea and wait for their opportunity. The Swedish army standing foolishly in the looted land of Sjælland, starving and unable to maintain a proper siege, the Swedish soldiers die every day.

Grim hear of ill news, the Chieftan of Åland has been executed by the Swedish King and now Henrik rules there instead, having killed of all of the Norse population living there. Our Chieftan decided to steer his 27 longboats and army there and lay siege to the undefended land of Sweden. The Nobles of Sweden getting unruly over Henrik's lack of success and his inability to defend their land starts pressuring him to just give up Sjælland. A year later he finally agrees and Sjælland now belongs to the Chieftain of Skåne, Grim Vogelius.

8Ro99x1.png
KY1IqG5.png
oTFA8af.png

As the war ends, Grim comes home to see his son Sivard and his wife Gunhild with a child, Sivard hearing of the victories of his father had decided to name him after him in hopes that young Grim shall become as good of a man as his grandfather. Sivard's twin sister has also been making progress, her husband has inherited the crown of Lithuania, however she has yet to bear any children for him.

pSguUbL.png
FupfgXj.png

Chapter continues in the next part....
I've started to use too many pictures

Last edited: