• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrap that, it was Heraclius. They weren't a feudal state like France for example, but the organisation of the Empire changed, with no more provinces but theme, who were semi-feudal but indeed very different from Western feudalism. I think the introduction of the themes happened under Heraclius, I think?

Heraclius was indeed the one replacing Latin with Greek in the administration. The themata system is generally atributed to him or Constans II.

I don't know what you see as feudal in the theme system. Themes were administrative provinces not hereditary titles.
If it's the fusing the military responsibilites with administrative one for the strategos then it already began with Justinian's exarchates just put an a smaller and systematic scale with the empire threatened everywhere.
It's not really different to the governor responsibilites of roman provinces before Dioclotean reform.
It's how soldiers were conscripted that really made themata different.

Just a quick question, but would anybody be interested in a forum outside of Paradox through something like reddit? This is just to gauge potential interest and means nothing, I just wanted to see if anybody would like multiple forums like the GoT mod has.

You can't. It's against the User Mod rules to have public discussion platforms outside of the User Modifications subforum and Steam Workshop. Many people abhor it (Mod creators most of all), but its Paradox's own DRM/way of combatting piracy, and they aren't giving up on it.

Much discussion has been done on the subject here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...for-User-Made-Mods-and-Edits-of-PDS-games-***

The alternative as mentioned in that thread, is deleting and abandoning the threads in this subforum and workshop, and setting up shop outside of Paradox's bubble.

You can't. It's against the User Mod rules to have public discussion platforms outside of the User Modifications subforum and Steam Workshop. Many people abhor it (Mod creators most of all), but its Paradox's own DRM/way of combatting piracy, and they aren't giving up on it.

Much discussion has been done on the subject here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...for-User-Made-Mods-and-Edits-of-PDS-games-***

The alternative as mentioned in that thread, is deleting and abandoning the threads in this subforum and workshop, and setting up shop outside of Paradox's bubble.
We (the team) know that and will probably stay here. Pseudocat and the few other people interested in the mod seem also to be a minority willing to have it like that.

Are you considering releasing the mod in the pre-WoL patch ? Not only because of the province missing problem but the last patch is rather buggy and will probably not be patched before the devs returns from their holidays.

So releasing a 2.2 patch seems the best solution.
Not really, Enlil is working like crazy with the 2.3 version. We (the beta testers and devs) only have acess to the old version for testing and modding which we could always share in case of more issues. WoL is really more stable though.

I know GoT, Elder Kings bug reports and I think after the end have outside forums for discussion with no download links. Are those all illegal?

Not really, Enlil is working like crazy with the 2.3 version. We (the beta testers and devs) only have acess to the old version for testing and modding which we could always share in case of more issues. WoL is really more stable though.

I know he works hard but from what I experienced of WoL the AI really lacks aggressivity. It kinda makes me remember Vanilla CK1 for some reason. :p
A feel shared by other poster in the Ck2 forum.

I fear that it may be a problem for the mod.

I've been looking forward to the release for so long now but im having a party on the release. Might just make 30 15-16 year olds watch me play instead of getting drunk :D

I know GoT, Elder Kings bug reports and I think after the end have outside forums for discussion with no download links. Are those all illegal?
Yes, if they are posting links to those here.
I've been looking forward to the release for so long now but im having a party on the release. Might just make 30 15-16 year olds watch me play instead of getting drunk :D
Well, that is one way of doing things, I guess.

Last edited:
Mini-Update #2

Mini-Preview #2: the British Isles

Here you have the second mini-update/preview that I'm doing to inform about different interesting areas and personalities in 480 before the release of the mod. I will only cover areas that have received little/very old info in this thread. This time, it is about the British Isles and the detailed cultural, religious and political setup there. I have a bit of an extra experience concerning this region as I played there in a Mini-AAR in French.

The British Isles are an area of the mod that is very interesting and specific, with a lot of potential conflicts and stories rising up. You may wonder why it is interesting to play them in this mod rather than in Western Europe 479-867 AD - The Winter King by Luca, ols, DC123456789 and heroindog. The answer to this is both simple and complex: that mod being mainly concentrated around the books by Bernarnd Cornwell, so there might be an interest in playing this mod for the historical caracters. Another reason is that if you want to interact more with the mainland and continental Europe, this offers more possibilities. There is also a bit of a scope difference between the mods. We have tried to model the situation on the Isles with different cultures, religions, heresies and realms as usual. Our aim has been to have a historical setup with flavour, but with many dynamic possibilities and a lot of options, both for the AI and the player. I will now go on to a little introduction to the Isles during the timeframe of the mod (476-1453), before going more into detail about the 480 setup.

The British Isles. A land that has countless of times been invaded, before and during the timeframe of the mod. The roman legions invaded it early and subjugated modern England and Wales, making a wall to defend off from the Picts and creating the province of "Britannia". They considered it as the end of the known world and civilisation. When the Romans moved out, the Germanic people invaded and started rampaging once again. But that was not all for the fragile Isles, later more heathen invaders would come, the Vikings! After pillaging big monasteries and etc they would try to establish themselves in the Isles. It would then go on, because after the defeat of the Vikings the Normands from Normandie would take over as the invader in 1066. And that is not all.

f7dDOYY.png

The first screenshot in this mini-update, the political setup of the Isles at the main startdate, 480. Here you can see all of the major independant realms of the area at the main bookmark. We have not modified any provinces so far, except for adding one, the Isle of Wight that Enlil considered as important and relevant. Some interesting realms of the British Isles are:

Kentland/Jutes: The first of the Germanic invaders of the Isles that I will go through. Being arrived in the isles from Denmark and Jutland in the middle of the 5th century, they established themselves in Kent. They are at start lead by Horsa (of which I will talk later in another one of these :ninja:) and have a huge potential of expansion with their event troops that they usually will use, both for the AI and the player. The different "invaders" in Britannia are at start very aggresive and will try to defeat each other and unify, before starting to defeat the old Britons and Romano-Britons. As a player, you need to be careful, and avoid defeats as that could lead to a "backstab" from the AI. The Jutes are probably the ones that have the most potential to try unifiying Britannia. Historically though, they wre weaker and relatively quickly assimilated into the other people. Can you avoid that from happening? Do you want to convert to christianity as the jutes historically did from 597 and later, or stay heathen? It is up to you.

Angles: Originating from Schleswig in modern day Germany, they establisahed themselves in the coast of the old roman province of Britannia around the mid 5th century too. Another germanic people, but more vast and would be one of the founding culture in the Anglo-Saxon Britain. These tribes are shattered and all of germanic religion. The kingdoms present at start would later unify/consolidate into tree bigger ones: Northumbria, Wessex and Mercia. You are free to decide who will be predominant and who will be forgotten by history.

Saxons:The third big group of Germanic invaders present in 480, composed of "old saxons" in the mod to distinguish from the other saxons in CK2. They arrived in Britain during the same period as the others and originated from the Holstein area. Shattered at this start, they would later constitute three bigger kingdoms in the south of the Island: Wessex (partially populated by Angles too), Sussex and Essex. The other part in the Anglo-Saxon culture. It would be their language that would set the base for the old english. In your game though, things can go different. Do you want to stay were you start, near the coast and pillage other realms in Europe, or expand? Is a conversion planned? Historically they resisted more than the other peoples aainst christianity, but would later convert.

Rheged: A briton kingdom at start. Lead by their king Dafydd, they are usually a strong player amongst the insular old Britons of the isles and have a lot of potential. A true kingdom which can and will, both in the hands of the player and the AI to resist against the heathen Germanic invaders. Historically they would become an Anglish vassal state and then later be unified with it through marriage. That is however not set in stone in this mod. Try to fortify your coastlines and defeat/force convert eventual Germanic neighbours to survive or simply ally with a strong state, perhaps the eastern roman emperor? I have personally played with them a bit, and I must say that it is an interesting experience. Saint Patrick is present at the court of the king at start.

Dal-Riada: Gaelic in 480, it stretches across Ireland and Scotland, forming a relatively strong insular power at start. Legendary famous in our history, will you be able to achieve a similar reputation?

RhAticY.png

Moving on with the screenshots, here is another one, this time the religious view of the same area. As you may be noticing, the religious setup is very interesting in this area and none of the religions/heresies present are similar to vanilla. I will therfor go through all of them in detail, heresies aswell as religions.

Insular: A Christian branch to Nicene (not a heresy), it has some unique flavour. It can be considered as some sort of religious melting-pot beetween Celtic and Nicene, unique to the Isles. Historically it was quiet strong and managed to send missionaries across Europe. It dominates Britannia at start, but the Germainc-religioned invaders could be a threat to that domination. All of the Briton and romano-british kingdoms are Nicene, together with all of Ireland except for Tara and Alleich and Galloway and Dal Riada in the future Scotland. In the mod there are some interesting possible council events in relation to them.

Pelagian: An Insular heresy founded by the Breton ascete Pelagius during the 4th century, that was later condemned by an imperial council. Pelagius was then excommunicated. In the 480 startdate it is present in some provinces owned by Luitcoyt, but can expand to other provinces and be a threath to the main Insular branch.

Germanic: To the countrary of the weird vanilla naming, germanic in this mod actually has a sense and is one of the most important religiuons of this area. It is a combination of the diferent regional believes of the Germanic people, present amongst the tribal invadors of Britain, and all of the germanic people in Europe that has not yet converted to Arianism in 480. It is pagan, reformable and has some quiet strong CB:s, aswell as having the ability to raid.

Celtic: The old faith of the Celtic inhabitants of the Isles, that was weakened with the Romans and their later conversion to Christianity. It has a lot of flavour due to the integration of Ancient Religions and is reformable. Some Pictish and Irish realms are still Celtic as of 480.

cYsIxGs.png

This time, to give you a more complete view on the area I also have a detailed cultures map, and I will go through everyone of them (only those not already covered), more or less in detail.

Irish: The Irish culture, present in what we call Ireland. Divided amongst different realms. Will usually stay in Ireland and is Celtic.

Briton: Old culture that existed already prior to the Roman conquest which is still present and can have a decisive role in the fight against the Germanic tribes. It is predominant in Britannia and Strathclyde . Note: Not to be confounded with Breton. Will usually be on the defensive, but can ocasionally unify or even defeat the invadors. Celtic.

Romano-British: Melting-pot culture that was created out of mixes and adaptation by some of the Britons that were romanised. It is partially Latin and partially Celtic. Only present in South-Western Britannia, it is quiet weak, especially since the Romans left.

Gaelic: The main culture of Dal-Riada. Celtic.

Pictish: They were never subjugated by the Romans and have resisted against many invasions. Situated beyond Hadrian's wall and the Roman province of Britannia. At start there are many Pictish kingdoms, but they have the potential of unifying and become a challenge for the other peoples of the Isles. Only present in what we call Scotland. Celtic.

For the next preview, I plan to go through Arabia and the setup there in detail with new maps.

NOTE: the screenshots were made with the French version (WIP). ;) For the old timers of this mod, this might not be the most interesting thing, but hopefully there are not to many errors and it is not too repetitive. You may report any errors or misunderstandings here. More content will come as frequently as possible until release.

Last edited:
Don't take this into account for the release but seriously consider it after :p :

The Germanic religion in the British isle is way too strong. From the picture of it that I saw it always end up converting the whole island to the germanic faith.

And I have to ask if they really were so many pagan in the british isledin 476. I don't know but that's why I ask. :)

Aussi comment tu fais pour avoir les pictes en anglais alors qu'ils sont déjà présent en français dans Vanilla depuis trois mois en moins ! Si c'est pas de la fainéantise ça ! :p

Question: Do the Romano-British have any special flavor, are they just bland mixed culture?

They get some of the Celtic flavor, and my "expansions" are going to be region based, so expect the first one to be focused on everything Britain.

They get some of the Celtic flavor, and my "expansions" are going to be region based, so expect the first one to be focused on everything Britain.

I think he meant something that concretly made them different to the Britons except a -10 penalty and a -us as name's suffix.

I suddenly got two questions in my head here:

Enlil, shouldn't the Saxons, Angles and Jutes be really restricted culture-wise? I mean, wouldn't it it be more appropriate if the Germanics simply rule Celtic provinces?

Also, shouldn't Romano-British be a little more widespread? I mean, Insular Britons in my mind are simply Christian Barbarian Celts, not Romanized Celts

Aussi comment tu fais pour avoir les pictes en anglais alors qu'ils sont déjà présent en français dans Vanilla depuis trois mois en moins ! Si c'est pas de la fainéantise ça ! :p
Our base is different than vanilla and was created earlier so the localization does not correspond.

Translation of the above: How can pictish be in english as it is alreay localised in French in vanilla? If that is not lazy...

How different is the Celtic Faith in your mod compared to the Ancient Religion Mod? any new flavor for them?
It is integrated, so lots of flavour. ;) The main difference is that in this mod they are present from start.

Status
Not open for further replies.