• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd say he's only getting stronger. It's the Kind trait and my personal laziness. And if I had tried to imprison the rebel lords, some would've managed to evade capture and risen in revolt. I simply didn't want to spend the next year or two in-game running around the Crownlands.

Haha-fair enough

Reactions:
The Little Cub
Part 11 - Long Awaited Spring

The fighting stopped for the moment, and life returned back to normal in my kingdom. Lord Baelish had refused to acknowledge me as the King of Westeros, and ruled the Riverlands as an independent realm. Time would come to return it back to the realm and make Littlefinger answer for his crimes, but the time was not now. All my subjects needed a moment to catch their breath after having been fighting a war for the past five years. Mace Tyrell returned to the capital and resumed his position as the Hand of the King, and uncle Jaime came back as well with a companion called Brienne of Tarth, who by his suggestion replaced him as the Master of Arms. My uncle was not the same he had been the last I had seen him, I soon came to notice. After my mother's death he had started drinking. I let the matter be, hoping that time would clean his head.

At first I was taken aback that a woman would continue overseering the training, but after I saw her fight against Ser Godry and easily overpower him, I was no longer surprised. She carried the twin to Widow's Wail, I noticed, yet Uncle Jaime refused to tell me why he'd given it to her. So I asked Brienne instead, who told me that my uncle had sent her to search for the missing Stark girls and armed her with his sword for the dangerous journey. She had not found the younger Stark girl, her traces ending to the raided ruins of Saltpans. After Littlefinger had revealed Sansa Stark, though, she had headed to the Vale, only to find out the she didn't want to leave. ''Ser Jaime told me to bring the girls home. Yet the Vale had become her home, and she was already carrying Lord Harrold's child inside of her.'' So Brienne had come back to the Crownlands and met up with Jaime in Duskendale, and they'd decided to return to the capital together.

Princess Asha occasionally joined the yard as well, and I quickly noticed she was excellent with a sword - although according to her own words, she preferred axes. We often exchanged words, and once I asked her about his uncle Victarion, who according to rumours had returned to Iron Islands on the back of a dragon. She explained to me that the relationship between Crow's Eye and Victarion was complicated, and that Victarion would unlikely take orders from him any longer. The Iron Islands had been quiet after the rebellion of Great Wyk ended, and I preferred if it stayed that way.

Lady Margaery, my regent and the master of laws and her father, the Hand of the King, decided to send a word to North that a council seat was reserved for Lord Paramount Bolton. Riverlands stood on the way to the North and Littlefinger had closed the borders, so trading and moving withing my kingdom had become a lot harder. The Tyrells wanted to reunite the kingdom, being well aware that there still were people in the North who thought following a King in the North was a better solution serving a King in the South. I had heard stories about Lord Bolton and his son, about how they'd mutilated Lord Davos Seaworth and Prince Theon Greyjoy. But I was their liege now, and as long as they acknowledged me as their king and followed my laws, I was satisfied. Once Lord Bolton came to King's Landing, I heard more about what was happening in the North. Apparently the Wildlings had chosen a fearsome and cruel raider called the Weeper as their new King-Beyond-the-Wall. There had also been a peasant revolt in King's Course, south of Winterfell, but Lord Bolton assured it was nothing and that it had been easily dealt with. He didn't say how, but I somehow knew..

gydl.png

The wife of Lord Mace Tyrell passed away not long after the Hand of the King had returned to King's Landing. My lady-wife took it heavily, and I did my best to comfort her as she had always comforted me before. I didn't know the right words, but my presence and complete attention seemed to make her feel slightly better. I knew what it felt like to lose a mother; nothing could make it all go away, no matter how many kind words were said. Ser Loras didn't show his emotions, but spent most of his free time out on the yard, unloading his distress by giving bruises to others. Lord Mace tried to look emotional, yet I saw it was all but an act. There were whispers that the Lord of Highgarden had been paying visits to the bed of a married woman for a while.. And none else's but his son and heir, Willas'. The woman was with a child, too, and it was unclear whether it was put inside of her by the father or the son.

Soon after Lord Mace came talking to me, suggesting that Joy Hill, a bastard girl from House Lannister, would be wed with him. He also let me know that he'd lent money to the crown back when my brother had been the king. Five years had passed, and once again I had to dig the coffers to pay for the mistakes of my predecessors. Keeping the Tyrells satisfied was important, Ser Balon assured me, so I agreed to both requests.

One evening my wife Margaery told me she was carrying a child. The thought of becoming a father frightened me, and I began to wonder how I could take care of the child when I hadn't yet even become a man myself. Still, I was happier than in a long time, and I even saw my lady wife smile for the first time after her own mother's passing. The winter that had lasted almost six years was finally coming to an end, and the world seemed a bit brighter than in a long time.

5tr6.png

I had forgiven the men who followed Stannis to war, and some still remained at the court in King's Landing. I had not demanded them to re-embrace the Faith of the Seven, so there was constant arguing about which religion was the right one. I encouraged the subjects of mine to be tolerant towards each other, saying that one's religion was their own business - as long as practicing their faith didn't involve anything that would break the law. Ser Axell Florent, one of the men who had followed my uncle, approached me, asking for my blessing on taking the black and joining Stannis Baratheon at the Wall. Although Ser Axell was old already, I decided it was the best to let the man spend the rest of his days the way he wanted.

My attempts to live a peaceful life were in vain. The Martells of Dorne were sworn enemies of mine, yet Princess Arianne was still a subject of the Iron Throne. Her cousins had only been trouble, and one day Lord Bolton informed me of how Tyene Martell was planning my assassination. I ordered Lord Bolton to immediately send a warning letter to her, and it seemed to be enough to stop her from plotting my demise. Lord Bayle of Rollingford also proved to be a traitor. I'd forgiven him despite starting the Crownlander rebellion in the False Dragon's name, yet he had grown tired of his life and pursued to find evidence about my questioned parentage. Instead of writing a warning letter, I sent four thousand men - including the King's Justice - led by Ser Godry to root Lord Bayle out of his keep.

7lm8.png

Everything was finally in it's right place. Life was peaceful, and the kingdom's coffers were slowly filling up. The war had taken it's toll but in time we'd recover, I knew. Lord Bayle's fate seemed to have an affection on the rest of the Crownlands that been surprisingly quiet after the execution of Lord Rollingford. The holding had passed to the me as Lord Bayle didn't have any heirs, and I decided to give it to a lesser nobleman named Gabriel Darkholme who posessed a vast knowledge in the art of war.

Although the fighting was done, I had not taken part in it personally. The training yard was my battlefield and the war raging in there was never-ending. Every day I spent hours sparring with others, preparing for a war that hopefully would never come. I did not posess the strength Brienne, Ser Godry and Ser Balon had, yet my skills in swordplay had reached their level. It was something that I had dreamed about when I was little: to be able to fight like the Warrior himself. Now that it had come true, I was not sure what to do. The word of my prowess reached the ears of the High Septon. He invited me to the Sept of Baelor, and I first presumed it was just a customary call to discuss matters related to state affairs. When instead he offered to grant me knighthood, I was taken aback and didn't know what to say. I had always imagined it would be Ser Balon who'd finally knight me as he'd been the one whose squire I was even though he'd relieved me from certain duties such as taking care of his gear for the sole reason that I was the king. I decided to talk with Ser Balon before accepting the High Septon's offer.

When I confronted Ser Balon about the matter, he agreed that I was ready for knighthood. I had seen but fifteen namedays, yet I already had skills that only few men posessed. The High Septon anointed me with holy oil and Ser Balon made me swear the oath. After that I decided to stay vigil over the night in the Sept, leaning to my Valyrian sword while kneeling in front of the statue of the Warrior. My mentor Ser Balon kept me company over the night, yet we didn't say anything to each other until the first light glimmered through the mosaic windows of the Sept. My body was aching and I could barely stay awake, yet as I walked out of the building with Ser Balon beside me, I felt I was born anew.

vc8s.png

Formidable fighter! A tough one to get when you start late like Tommen had to, but it's good that he managed to pull it off. Must be those Jaime-genes. So what's the state of the realm right now? Did Littlefinger form a Kingdom of the Trident? Are there any remaining holdouts now that the mega-war is over?

It was possible only with my guardian himself being a formidable fighter as well, and I had that fourth fighter event appear not long before the character turned into an adult. So it was very close. Since I started playing from a point where Tommen was already 9 years old, he missed three years of stat increases. I think he has like 3-7-2-2-2 base at this point, so all of his skills suck pretty much except for martial. Ironically, he has stats very similar to Jaime. Luckily Tommen has not yet gained any negative traits. Comes from Ser Balon Swann having only positive traits, which makes him an ideal guardian. I'll post a screenshot of Tommen in the next update to show you what main trait he was given.

After Stannis' war ended, the revolt to put Aegon on the throne began almost immediately so the event where lord paramounts join the Iron Throne faction came late. Littlefinger never declared a war for independence, and simply remained a realm of it's own after Aegon's loyalists were defeated and the war ended. I am not sure why. Most likely it was due to a bug, but I have already used it as an advantage to spice up the story and didn't bother to do replaying. He currently has the title of Lord Paramount of Riverlands and hasn't declared himself a king.

The rest of Westeros is tied to Tommen's rule.. except for the sole province of Wycombe in Riverlands. Some Qarth lord declared a raid for slaves, and the province stayed independent due to being in a state of war. Still, the slavers never arrived and I'm patiently waiting for the defenders to get 100% warscore for holding the province. It makes no sense, though, so I left that part out of the AAR.

Last edited:
Wow, really amazing Tommen. Certainly matured up from the Tommen of the canon. It'll be interesting to see how his reign turns out, and how the history of Westeros diverges :)

Also, when you post the screenshot, mind pointing out the non-vanilla traits, for those of us who can't get the mod to work?

Will this help? Some of the traits are not in the list, like the religion ones. The unique Valyrian swords are also not in the list. But basically every trait with a colored sword in it is a named Valyrian Sword. The one Tommen has is called Widow's Wail.

s954.png

Last edited:
Great update. This Tommen is really shaping oi to be someone eh?

As Sandor Clegane mentioned back in ACOK, "The boy has courage."

It's more praise than he's ever given... well, pretty much anyone. Cersei's every move was to stifle his potential, hardly a stretch to see him growing strong without her.

The Little Cub
Part 12 - Ours Is Fury

--

Nine moon turns had gone, and the child inside my wife was coming out. I waited hours outside her chambers, but after walking across the room more times than I could count, I realized I couldn't stay there all day long. So I headed to the training yard to do the only thing that I knew would wipe the thoughts from my mind. Ser Meryn Trant was my first opponent. We were wearing armors and using actual steel, which made the fight way more serious. It was the first time I carried Widow's Wail to an actual fight. I engaged Ser Meryn in close combat as soon as he had his sword raised, giving him no quarter. My strikes were ferocious and utterly without mercy, and Ser Meryn's blocks came slower every time. In his last desperate attempt to turn the tide of the battle, Ser Meryn rushed forward with his shield raised up, attempting to tackle me down. I easily stepped aside and left my foot on his way, succesfully managing to get Ser Meryn lose his footing. The Kingsguard came staggering to the ground, and I put an end to the fight with a brutal kick in the head.

I pulled the visor of my helmet up and shouted ''NEXT!'' and two squires dragged the unconscious Ser Meryn away. Ser Rolland Storm, also known as the Bastard of Nightsong, stepped from the crowd and I pulled the visor down, raising my shield as a sign that the fight may commence. We circled each other and I realized I couldn't use the same simple tactics against Ser Rolland, who was far more skilled fighter than my previous opponent. I charged against Ser Rolland, but he blocked my attack with his sword and tried pushing me away with his shield. I held my ground and fierce clashing of swords against shields followed. I was young and full of power, whereas Ser Rolland was already in his forties and not quite so fast as he had been in his own youth. It felt good to have Widow's Wail in my hands, and it felt lighter in my hand than any other sword that I had used before.

Ser Rolland took a few steps back, attempting to catch a breath, yet I followed his every movement. As he swung his sword towards my left side, I easily moved my shield to block the strike and right then saw a hole in his defence. I struck Ser Rolland straight in the face with the handle of my sword. The distraction served it's purpose, and he never saw the shield that I bashed against his chest. As Ser Rolland layed on his back on the ground, coughing violently, I pulled my visor up again and walked around restlessly, looking for a new opponent in the crowd. For the first time in my life I felt like the words of my house were actually my own. ''NEXT!''

Then came Ser Ronald Bolling. The fight between us was over almost immediately, so I ordered two opponents for the next practice fight. Ser Daven Lannister and Ser Horas Redwyne entered the circle, and did their best to succeed in where everyone else had failed so far. After disarming Ser Horas and breaking Ser Daven's nose, I noticed all other fights out on the training yard had stopped and everyone had gathered around me. I saw a few serious and concerned faces among the cheering crowd, but I didn't care. The day had gotten a new purpose for me: beating the sense out of everyone who dared to face me until I could fight no more. Four squires came next, but the result was as definite as before. Half a dozen fights later I was brought the news I had waited for the whole day; my wife had finally given birth to a child. Her battle had finally come to an end and along with that mine as well.

05w2.png

A girl. I along with the rest of the court had hoped for a son and heir. From the first look Margaery gave me, I could see she was thinking of it too, but there was no need to say it aloud. I am a father now, and that's all that matters. We decided to name her Anora. She had the eyes of her mother and my golden hair, I immediately noticed. It was silencing to see something as perfect as her, knowing I had made her. Margaery was tired and weak from giving birth, so I ordered the chamber to be cleared and us to be left alone. I wanted a moment alone with her, knowing she would need the rest and a moment of peace. So we spent what was left of the day together, looking at the tiny person she had brought to this world. We didn't say much, and I knew this moment to be one of those where words simply weren't needed. For the rest of the day we were a family, and everything else in the world was forgotten.

When the sun came down, Margaery told me I should present the child to the court. An heir had born to my kingdom, and the rest of the world should see her as well. I asked if she was alright with that, knowing that as a mother she may not want the child to be taken away from her. ''I'm a mother only to her, but to the rest of the Seven Kingdoms I'm the queen'', she replied dutifully and tried to smile. It was for the best if she stayed abed, so I took the child carefully in my arms and left her alone in her chamber. The whole Kingsguard awaited on the other side of the door, and I ordered Ser Loras to remain guarding my wife, knowing that my earlier order to keep the chamber empty from visitors had also prevented him from visiting his sister and see his newly-born niece.

I walked across the throne room towards my rightful seat as I didn't know where else I should go, carrying the swaddled baby in my arms. There were only a few people present as the hour was growing late, but somehow I preferred it that way. I nodded gratefully to courtiers who presented their congratulations as I walked past them, but remained silent otherwise. The throne was as crude as ever. I had never liked to sit on it. It was not a comfortable seat, but then again a king should never sit well, I found myself remembering the old saying. It is for the best I don't get too attached to it, for I need to give it up one day. But that day can wait, I reminded myself and looked at the newborn in my arms. Only now I realized I was still wearing my armor: the black enameled masterpiece with it's gilded ornaments. Everything in the world had faded to grey after I had been brought the news out on the yard. It's time I wake up, I commanded myself and turned my gaze from the child in my arms down to the throne room.

The first eyes I met were uncle Jaime's. After my mother's passing, her brother had began drinking. Now, however, The Lord Commander of my Kingsguard seemed sober, and we shared a long, quiet moment, just looking into each other's eyes. Though he smiled at me, I wasn't sure if he was happy. I'm going through something he never will, I realized. He'll never have children of his own. My mother was the only one he ever counted as family. I'm her son, and remind him of her. The more I had grown, the more I had come to notice the emotional looks he sometimes took at me. I tried smiling back at him, but made as horrible work of it as he did.

I got up on my feet and walked down the stairs, heading back to Margaery's chamber to join her for the night. My uncle followed me like the a white shadow, protecting me like he always had.

ystk.png

When I next time sat on the Iron Throne a few weeks later, I was finally ruling in my own name. Margaery had regained her strength and as my regent was present to witness the event and to officially grant me my rights. She sat on my right side in a chair, holding our child in her arms while I held court for the first time. I had been king for about seven years, yet now was the first time I actually got to make decisions of my own without anyone's consent. People had treated me royally before, so the only change was the one in me and my attitude. I had been groomed for command and to lead, and knew my duties. I was finally ready. I had become a man.

As my first command I ordered the city of King's Landing to be improved. The kingdom's coffers had filled after War of the Five Kings and its aftermath, and I decided to put part of it to repairing the capital. I don't want my daughter to have to dodge pigshit when walking through the city as she grows up. The task of completely rebuilding the city would be too expensive, so improving the living quarters closest to the Red Keep did have to suffice for now. ''And there's none better than Ser Horas Redwyne to overseer the task - and the city itself. I hereby name him the new Commander of the City Watch of King's Landing.'' I could sense how Ser Osmund looked at me, but I didn't care. His brother and the former Commander of Gold Cloaks, Ser Osfryd, was inexperienced at leading and unable to read. Although Ser Horas isn't skilled enough to become a Kingsguard, he is well suited for the Commander's position. And I just earned his loyalty, whereas Ser Osfryd's was questionable.

Next I expressed my desires to hold a coronation in a moon's turn from now on. All my vassals were summoned, and they were to bring their men with them. ''The people should see their king. They live and die in my realm, and fight my wars for me if they must. It's only right they also get to look upon their king at least once in their lifetime'', I said. Most in the court seemed touched my by words, but I saw a few men exchange looks. It's a call for war and they know it. Lord Baelish has held the Riverlands for far too long. It's about the time the lands are returned back to the realm.. and for Littlefinger to pay for his crimes. Darry's fate hadn't been the only concerning news we had heard from the Riverlands. Lord Baelish had grown into a colder person, and didn't tolerate if anyone denied his right to rule. Lord Edwyn Fray, Lord Jonos Bracken and Lord Marq Piper had been imprisoned by their new liege, and turned into warning examples of what happens to those who oppose Lord Baelish. Like Martyn Lannister, they all had been blinded.

5m8e.png

The small council was to meet after the court session. My wife Margaery went to take Anora to her wetnurse before joining the session. Even though she had just given birth, she already continued her work as the master of laws. On my way to the small council chambers, I saw Lord Roose Bolton waiting for me: ''Your Grace.. A moment if you will.'' I looked over my shoulder at the kingsguard escorting me, and nodded to him as a sign to stay put for now. I slowly walked to a nearby window and turned to Lord Bolton, saying: ''Tell me.'' The Lord Paramount of the North opened his mouth and spoke with a serious voice: ''There are things you should know, your Grace, now that you've come of age. I know it may be hard to believe this, but.. your wife Lady Margaery has been unfaithful to you.''

I looked at Lord Bolton in disbelief and replied to him with a calm and serious voice ''With who?'' The Leech Lord was quiet for a moment before he went on; ''The court jester, commonly known as Moon Boy.'' I turned to the window and looked outside, hardly believing what I had just heard. Lord Bolton was my master of whisperers, which explained why he'd come to me with this information. Then I realized it.. Anora.. I closed my eyes and remembered my thoughts after seeing her for the first time. She has her mother's eyes.. and her father's golden hair.. Moon Boy shared that with me. I opened my eyes and sighed, asking Lord Bolton: ''Are you certain?'' The man beside me replied: ''Yes. I do not know for how long the affair has been going on. I got to know of it a week ago, but deemed it wise to inform you of it only now. She's no longer your regent, meaning you can act against her. What she's done is vile treason, and she must be punished for it. ''

''I.. need to think about this'', I found myself saying and continued walking towards the small council chambers before the Leech Lord could answer. The next hour that the council spoke about state matters, I spent hoping that the woman beside me was innocent of the accuses.

9gy6.png

Last edited:
... Haha, Moon Boy, of all people... Wow, what a weird turn of fate, given what Cersei was accused of...

And thank you for posting the list of traits. Definitely helps. I hope I can get this mod to work for me again soon :)

Good grief! Moon boy???

Great update

The Little Cub
Part 13 - A Crown For A King

--

The doors of the throne room were pushed open, and the King's arrive was announced. Tommen took the first step towards the Iron Throne, and saw the room was full of lords and ladies from all around Westeros. The crowd had gathered on both sides of the room, leaving an aisle in the center, leading all the way to the Iron Throne. The young king of Westeros slowly walked forward, his lady-wife Margaery Tyrell carrying their newborn child beside him. Six of the seven kingsguards surrounded the royal family, two on each side except the front. The seventh, Ser Meryn Trant, remained at the steps of the Iron Throne, standing in guard next to the High Septon who awaited for the King to arrive.

Melwyn Lannister, Robert Arryn, Mace Tyrell and most of their vassals were present. But not Arianne Martell or Roose Bolton, Tommen knew even with his eyes were fixed to the front. A letter had come from south, saying that the Princess of Dorne and her vassals wouldn't attend the coronation. It was an open declaration that the Iron Throne no longer had the support of Dorne, although the region was still formally part of the kingdom. Tommen had known to expect refusal from Princess Arianne, but had hoped that his sister would come to the capital nevertheless. It was unclear to Tommen whether she'd been forbid to leave, if she even had been informed or if she simply didn't want to leave her new family. Still, it was a reunion Tommen had been looking forward to, and it was a disappointment his last sibling hadn't come.

She now has her own family.. as do I. Tommen was halfway to the throne. My wife, my betrayer. Hearing that his wife had an affair with the court jester had hurt Tommen more than anything he'd ever gone through before. Lord Roose Bolton wanted to act against the Tyrells, but imprisoning the queen was a serious matter. Speciously when her father was the Hand of the King and Lord Paramount of the Reach, her cousin the Commander of Goldcloaks, a relative the Grand Maester and her brother one of Tommen's own bodyguards. I am surrounded by Tyrells. So instead of making a move against her, Tommen had decided not to. Lord Bolton didn't agree with the boy king's decision and had departed for the North the next morning even though it was known that the coronation would take place not many days later. I'll be needing a new master of whisperers.. and a court jester.

They reached the steps of the Iron Throne, and Tommen with his wife kneeled before the High Septon. All the seven kingsguards automatically moved to a line, facing the crowd. Ser Meryn, who had been guarding the Iron Throne for now, joined the line as well like King Tommen had ordered when they'd gone through with the event at the planning phase. The people need to see that there's trust between the High Septon and the King, Tommen thought and looked at the man who a year back had knighted him. Two servants walked from the side, bringing each a crown on a pillow. ''In the name of the Seven, I, King Tommen of the House Baratheon, promise, pledge and guarantee that I will be the protector and defender of the realm in all ways useful to it, however many, in so far as I am supported by divine assistance according to my knowledge and ability.'' The High Septon took late King Robert's crown and placed it on Tommen's head.

10c9.png

The young king rose up and took the smaller crown, placing it on the head of his wife himself. The Seven are behind my crowning, yet she's in her position only because I will it.. My queen, my betrayer. Tommen gestured her to get up, and she rose by herself even with the child in her arms. Little Anora was sleeping. Better that than crying, Tommen thought. The realm needed to see the fruit of their union.. although Tommen himself had his suspicions about who the father truly was. Still, leaving Princess Anora with her wetnurse would've raised certain questions and just for now it was for the best if none knew about Lady Margaery's past affair. Tommen was unsure whether Lord Bolton had told anyone, and hoped from all his heart he hadn't. It would be a heavy setback to his own reputation if the whole realm got to know that the queen had been fucking the court jester behind the king's back.

Tommen walked up the steps and took a seat on the throne. He looked down at the crowd for the first time, searching for three certain faces. ''Lord Melwyn Lannister, Lord Mace Tyrell and Lord Robert Arryn.. step forth.'' Tommen looked as each of them left the crowd and stopped in front of the line of kingsguards. Lord Melwyn was the first to arrive, and bent his knee: ''The Westerlands are yours, your Grace.'' The Hand of the King, Lord Mace Tyrell also kneeled: ''The Reach is yours, your Grace.'' ''And the Vale is yours, your Grace'', followed the young Arryn after the other's example. A smile climbed on Tommen's lips as he knew he now had all he needed. ''Yet the Riverlands aren't'', the young king replied from his throne.

Lord Tyrell raised his eyes from the floor to Tommen in surprise, and the King could see people exchange looks and mutter to each other. ''Rise, my lord Paramounts'', Tommen spoke and silenced the crowd. Lord Melwyn and Lord Robert were quickly standing, but it took a while for the fat Lord Mace to finally get back up on his feet. ''You were summoned to the capital with your men not only because of the coronation, but also that you could prove where your loyalties lie. In my own name, I hereby accuse Petyr Baelish of treason against the Iron Throne, and strip him from his title of Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. You've given me your oaths, my lords. Now ride with me, and let us together bring the justice to Lord Baelish!''

Lord Melwyn Lannister, a man to whom Tommen had bestowed the Westerlands shouted: ''All hail the king!'' Some other lords took up the cry, and from their banners Tommen realized they were Lord Melwyn's vassals. Soon the shouting grew louder, and eventually almost everyone - even the other two Lord Paramounts - followed the example. Tommen turned his eyes to his wife and exchanged looks with her. The King got up to his feet, and his queen did the same. The child had woken up to the shouting and began crying. Tommen walked down the steps and the kingsguards got to the moving formation, whereas the Lord Paramounts simply stepped again into the crowd. The shouting was still loud, but now standing closer, Tommen saw serious and quiet faces among the crowd. None dares to call me a bastard, yet the looks on their faces are more than enough.

When they were outside, Tommen stopped and turned to his wife. ''There's something I need to do before I join you and Anora in Maegor's Holdfast.'' Margaery fell quiet, and Tommen could overhear his uncle say to his comrades: ''Ser Balon and Ser Robert with the King. Ser Loras and Ser Meryn with the queen and the child. The rest of you are dismissed.'' Ser Jaime nodded to Tommen and went back inside the Throne Room. For what, that Tommen didn't know, and already turned around to leave. His footsteps led him to Traitor's Walk. Ser Robert opened the door of the half-round tower, and the gaoler sitting at a table beside the entrance got up to his feet. Tommen opened his mouth; ''I'm here for Edmure Tully.'' The gaoler got up to his feet and gestured Tommen to follow him. ''Highborn prisoners are kept in the tower cells which are more comfortable than the actual dungeons under the tower.. Far more comfortable'', the gaoler explained and began ascending up the stairs. After taking more steps than Tommen could count, the gaoler stopped in front of a door and almost without searching found the right key in his ring and with it opened the door.

Tommen stepped inside but gestured the kingsguards to wait outside. The cell had a bed, table, chair and a window but not much else. Edmure Tully was on his feet by the time Tommen turned his eyes to him. ''I believe we haven't met before'', the young king said. The bearded Riverlander looked at the kingsguards by the door and then turned his eyes back to Tommen. ''I know who you are. Why are you here?'' Tommen was pleased that Lord Edmure cut straight to business - the king had other matters to deal with anyhow. ''A courtesy call. I'm riding to war over the Riverlands, and I am taking your son Ryan with me as my squire.'' Edmure was silent for a moment, but then he seemed to realize what that meant, and Tommen saw a hope in the captive's eyes. ''I wanted you to hear it from me personally. I'll take good care of the boy'', Tommen went on and turned around, heading back outside. ''Thank you.. your Grace'', he could hear Edmure say before the gaoler closed and locked the door.

Maegor's Holdfast was a castle within a castle; a stronghold inside the Red Keep, and inside of it was the living quarters of the royal family. At it's entrance he told Ser Balon: ''Inform the lord paramounts that I will organise a war council at noon. We'll march after that.'' The kingsguard nodded and headed towards the throne room, whereas Tommen proceeded inside. There he entered the royal bedchamber where he found Margaery, trying to put Anora back to sleep. Tommen closed the door after him, leaving the three whitecloaks present to stand guard outside. Margaery looked over her shoulder when she heard the door being opened, but turned back to the child when she noticed who it was. Tommen moved behind her and touched her neck. She never turned, and Tommen could see how she twitched from his gentle touch. ''You should've told me you meant to ride to war'', Margaery said. Tommen slowly pulled his hand away and remained quiet. His silence clearly concerned Margaery, who turned around and looked at him. ''What is it?''

Tommen turned his eyes to the child sleeping in a cradle just next to them. A chill climbed up his back when the boy king wondered if he wanted to know the truth. He raised his eyes and met hers. ''Is she mine?'' At first Margaery appeared as if she didn't know what he was talking about. The serious look on Tommen's face was enough to break her act, though, and she collapsed on a nearby chair, hiding her mouth behind her left hand. Actually seeing that it was all true made the thought one step harder to bear. Tommen didn't have the temper of his father and instead of striking her, he patiently repeated his question; ''Is she mine?'' Margaery nodded hastily as an answer, her eyes shunning him. Tommen nodded once, feeling a relief build up inside of him. He turned around and walked towards the door until Margaery finally found her words and with them stopped him; ''Tommen.. we need to talk about this. I need you to hear my part.. Please.'' The king didn't face her and held his hand on the door handle. ''He told me everything already. I don't need to hear it for the second time.'' Tommen could hear concern in her voice when she finally got the desperate words out of her mouth; ''What have you done to him?''

Tommen opened the door and turned his head to the side so that she would see his face, even if he didn't see hers. ''What do you think?''

6eta.png

j49u.png

Last edited:
As Sandor Clegane mentioned back in ACOK, "The boy has courage."

It's more praise than he's ever given... well, pretty much anyone. Cersei's every move was to stifle his potential, hardly a stretch to see him growing strong without her.
I couldn't have said it any better.

...so, Tommen is going to become a "good" version of Jaime? Joffrey must be rolling in his grave. ^^
Something like that, yes. As ironic as it is.

... Haha, Moon Boy, of all people... Wow, what a weird turn of fate, given what Cersei was accused of...
I know, right? When I noticed this, I bursted into laughter.

A Lannister always repays his debts. Even if he is a Baratheon.
That he does. ;)

Really good aar. I usually follow all the ASOIAF AARs and I'm really enjoying this one. Please keep it up.

Are you just going to follow tommen? Or are you going to continue the story after his death?

Are you just going to follow tommen? Or are you going to continue the story after his death?

That depends on my motivation. If I'm still interested, then why not. But considering I've already released 13 chapters about 7 in-game years, there'll be plenty more material for Tommen's story.

The Little Cub
Part 14 - Cold Steel

--

Tommen sat on the back of his horse at the head of an army and looked over the field at the enemies. The intelligence had been right; the army that waited ahead was about twelve thousand men strong. The young king turned his steed around and looked at his men. I have seventeen thousand men here who are well trained.. and hopefully well led. The odds are in our favor and hopefully the Gods too. Tommen turned in his saddle, facing the retinue beside him. Lord Gabriel Darkholme of Rollingford was there with him, along with the kingsguards Ser Loras Tyrell, Ser Osmund Kettleback, Ser Meryn Trant, Ser Robert Strong and the Lord Commander Jaime Lannister. ''Present the white flag, Ser Meryn. I wish to parley with the opposition.'' The Kingsguard did as he was bid, raising up a white flag. The King looked over the field and saw that the sign was answered to. He spurred his steed to a gallop, knowing that his retinue would follow him.

Over eighty thousand men had rode to war with him. Thirty-thousand Tyrell men and twenty thousand men from both the Westerlands and the Vale. Tommen had ordered Lord Tyrell to bring his forces to besiege Harrenhal, whereas Lord Lannister moved for Riverrun and Lord Arryn for Blackwood and Bracken lands. King Tommen had taken all the Crownland men and some from Stormlands with him, heading up towards the Twins, knowing that on the way to there he'd meet Littlefinger's army. Orders were clear: as long as the castles opened their gates and it's people surrendered without resistance, the people were to be kept from harm's way. It's Littlefinger I want. Though the Riverlanders are now his folk, they are my people too. There's no need for excessive violence, as ruling over people who want to murder you may prove hard. That's why he'd brought Ryan Tully with him. The name of his house was well known in the Riverlands, and by granting the land back to it's old rulers Tommen would earn their loyalty. Edmure's a wild card, and can't be trusted. But my squire.. he's but six years old and therefore easily controlled. I can teach him to be a better man than his father, and one day he may take his rightful place as the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands.. if everything goes well. To ensure nothing happened to the boy, Tommen had ordered his ward to remain at the camp for the battle.

Five men left the army on the other side of the field and rode towards King Tommen, one of them carrying a white flag. Tommen was wearing his black and golden plate armor - the colors of his house - and knew there was no doubt to the enemy who the king was. As they reached the middle of the field, Tommen stopped his steed and looked at the men riding towards him. Littlefinger had spent many years at the court in King's Landing, and Tommen knew what he looked like. Still, the king didn't see Lord Baelish among the five who were getting closer. Some hundred feet from Tommen and his kingsguards, the four riders stopped, and only one of them kept on approaching, now riding slower. The king looked at his men as a sign to stay put, and rode forth to meet the lone knight.

Tommen had the visor of his helmet already up. ''Who are you, Ser?'' The knight pulled up his own one, revealing his face to the king. ''Ser Lothor Brune, the commander of this army'', he answered. The Apple Eater, he's called.. after the sigil of House Fossoway, Tommen remembered. Ser Lothor was but a lowborn freerider in the service of Littlefinger, who was anointed a knight after the Battle of Blackwater for cutting through several men-at-arms of House Fossoway, and eventually slewing brothers Edwyn and Bryen Fossoway and capturing Lord Jon Fossoway. He's one of the best swordsmen in Littlefinger's service, and clearly not a man anyone wants to have on their wrong side.

ld9f.png

''Well then, Ser Lothor Brune. Your men are to surrender immediately or it will come to a battle. The Riverlands are being taken back the moment we speak, and I do not wish for any more lives to end than is necessary'', Tommen began. The knight looked at him in silence, calculating his words before finally saying them: ''Nor do I, your Grace. There's only one life that needs to end.'' Tommen smirked and looked back at Ser Lothor: ''A battle it is, then.'' Ser Lothor turned his horse around and replied: ''Aye.. I'll look for you in the field.'' The Apple Eater galloped back to his army with the four other men. Tommen looked after them in disbelief, not understanding why they would want to fight. Even if they somehow win, they'll still lose the war. Still, thinking of the upcoming battle was somehow a welcome thought to the king. It'd be his first battle, and a great opportunity to prove what he was capable of. Tommen turned his horse around, and returned to the rest of his army.

The King stopped a good distance before his army, and his retinue gathered around him. ''Ser Loras, you have the right flank. Lord Darkholme has the left. I will lead the vanguard personally, and make the first contact. We have superior numbers, so strike quickly and strike hard. One third of the cavalry will be with the vanguard, and the rest is divided between each flank. They are to stay defensive and ensure that no sudden attacks will take the light infantry from flanks. If some line seems to be breaking, the cavalry is to move to reinforce them. '' Tommen looked at his commanders, who each gave him a nod. ''Very good, my lords. Now, good luck and see you on the other side.''

Ser Loras and Lord Darkholme rode to opposite directions to assume the command of the flanks, whereas Ser Godry, Ser Meryn and Ser Jaime remained by Tommen's side. He turned his horse around and rode towards the line of his men. ''Here we are, men.. On the field of battle after three years of peace'', the Young King began his speech. ''Lord Baelish knows that the battle is already lost to him and is not present today. Still, he has ordered the Riverlanders to fight for his lost cause.'' The King sat on the back of his horse and held a moment of silence, looking at the four thousand infantry soldiers in front of him. ''They love him not, and will not die for this lord-who-fled. So fight well and fight hard, and I promise.. the enemies will rout before us, and we'll get to return to our families!'' When the men began shouting out their warcries, Tommen thought of Margaery, who he hadn't talked to after he'd confronted her about the affair she'd had with Moon Boy. Ser Balon Swann and Ser Boros Blount had remained in the capital by Tommen's orders to protect the royal family, but also to keep an eye on Lady Margaery.

The plot he'd created to capture Moon Boy in all silence had succeeded, and to the rest of the court it seemed as if the jester had simply vanished. The Moon Boy had first denied everything, but Ser Ilyn Payne had gotten him to talk.. When the king left the torturing chambers - the fourth and deepest floor of the Red Keep's dungeons - he wasn't the same person as before. Needless to say, the Moon Boy never did. The kind boy I once was died down there, Tommen thought and bared his Valyrian steel sword, raising it in the air above his head. ''Infantry, forward!''

Tommen turned his horse around and slowly rode at the head of the army. He looked at Ser Osmund beside him, saying him: ''Bring word to the cavalry in the rearguard that the infantry will engage first. The horsemen are to charge after that from both sides of the vanguard before the left and right flank join the fight. The infantry will first punch a hole in their spearwall, and the cavalry will take it from there on.'' The Kingsguard nodded and galloped towards the main army. Then the king turned to his silent giant; ''Ser Robert, you'll join the infantry and represent the King in the frontline. That spearwall needs to break before the cavalry arrives. Make sure of that.'' Tommen turned his gaze to the front and looked over the field at the enemies who held their defensive position. The mere sight of Ser Robert should be enough to encourage the men, Tommen thought hopefully and turned his horse around, riding to the middle of the heavily-armored vanguard as they were approaching the range of enemy's archers. ''You know what to do, men! Break their formation, and our cavalry will get to sweep through their whole army'', Tommen shouted to the men at the frontline of the vanguard when riding past them.

Arrows came whistling through the air, and the infantry raised their shields up. ''Keep on marching, men'', Tommen shouted. The king looked to his both sides, and saw the flanks were moving little bit behind the centre - as planned. The rearguard of the center was lined up with them, though it consisted mostly of cavalry. All the light infantry and archers were in the flanks, whereas most of the heavy infantry was placed in the center under Tommen's command. The enemy was lined up in a straight line with spearmen and at the front, heavy infantry behind them and archers at the rear. They only had little cavalry and it was placed in the flanks. They're Lord Darkholme's and Ser Loras' problem. Tommen pulled his visor down as more arrows flew across the sky. The first casualties were sustained as arrows found their marks. Tommen held his shield up as well, and caught one arrow in it. The sudden shock coming from the arrow hitting the shield surprised the young king, and made his heart beat faster. ''Quick march! Keep the formation!''

0efz.png

''Your Grace, perhaps it would be the best if you led from the rear'', said Ser Meryn after an arrow hit his shield as well. Tommen looked at the kingsguard and shaked his head; ''I'll lead the attack from the front, but join the fighting personally only once the cavalry attacks.'' The King and his bodyguards - with the exception of Ser Robert who had dismounted and joined the frontline afoot - were all on horseback, whereas the vanguard consisted of only heavy infantry. As they were closing on the enemy lines, Tommen gave the command to charge. The four thousand men that the vanguard consisted of began running and shouting out their warcries. Tommen could hear a loud crash when the lines met. The Riverlanders had moved their own heavy infantry to meet the vanguard as it wasn't Tommen's cavalry who charged first. From horseback Tommen could see over the heads of the infantry how Ser Robert led the attack, hacking down enemies left and right and carving a path for the rest of the men. As the enemy archers from their left flank began to target the king and his retinue, Ser Jaime shouted; ''We need to move, now!'' It's either falling back and leaving the men to fight alone, or getting closer to action and danger, Tommen realized. The decision of abandoning his men was out of question, so Tommen galloped forward.

The center of the enemies was beginning to collapse. The sight of Ser Robert decimating their comrades was far too much for the Riverlanders, and they seemed to lose their courage. The men in the enemy frontline tried to get back, but were blocked by the men behind them. The King looked over his shoulder after hearing horses approach and saw Ser Osmund ride at the head of the five hundred heavy cavalry that had been placed in the rearguard. Tommen turned his horse around and rode towards Ser Osmund, joining the cavalry with the rest of the Kingsguards. Instead of riding over his own vanguard, Tommen's cavalry split in two and rode forth through the gaps that had been left in the enemy's spearwall with the center having been pushed back. The cavalry had gotten an entryway to ride down the enemy army, and Tommen knew his plan had succeeded. Some spearmen tried to block their way, but it was too late; though the first riders lost their horses, the cavalry coming after them rode down the spearmen and punched their way through.

Tommen went for the left, assuming the kingsguards followed him and raised Widow's Wail in the air, only to swing it down again, again and again while riding down the Riverlanders. The Valyrian steel felt light in his arms, yet it bit through steel and plate like no other sword. Tommen lost the sense of time and his surroundings, and all the sounds in his head fell quiet. There was only his sword and the next enemy to hack down with it.. until a Riverlander shoved a spear in Tommen's way. It went through the armoring of the horse, and next Tommen found himself lying on the ground next to a dying horse, trying desperately to get up. The same spearman who had lethally wounded the King's horse now approached Tommen with a short sword in his hands, but Tommen managed to move his shield on the way right in time. Widow's Wail cut the spearman's left knee, and as the man lost his balance, Tommen moved from behind his shield and landed a finishing blow in the man's neck.

The King looked around, realizing he was in the middle of the enemy army. A few cavalry men were fighting against the Riverlander infantry, yet Tommen realized he'd need to get back to his troops unless he wanted to end up dead, knowing that his armor attracted would-be-kingslayers like shit flies. His Kingsguards were nowhere to be seen. An enemy swordsman approached with his weapon held high, but Tommen leapt forward and thrusted Widow's Wail through the man's heart before he had a chance to land the blow. The King pulled his sword outside and let the man fall on the ground. That's when he saw him.

hdeb.png

Ser Lothor Brune's armor was unmistakable. ''Leave him to me'', the knight shouted as if to make sure none else would get the honor of killing the king. Tommen and Ser Lothor began to circle each other, looking for weaknesses in each other's defences. The battle raged all around them now. The short moment Tommen had been allowed to catch breath ended abruptly when Ser Lothor leapt forth and utterly without mercy did his best to undermine Tommen's defences. The knight gave him no quarter and hacked at him all he could. Tommen blocked each strike and returned a few blows which however were to no good. He's good.. and stronger than I am, Tommen realized.

The King was slow in his black-and-gold armor, and Ser Lothor was in surprisingly good shape considering he was in his late thirties. They fiercely exchanged blows, yet his opponent didn't get windy. I can't tire him to death, Tommen realized and began a counterattack, forcing Ser Lothor to take a few steps back. The knight replied with a riposte, but the King countered it and pushed on harder, landing a few blows which hit Ser Lothor's armor, not penetrating it. Realizing how close his death had been, Ser Lothor seemed to get more strength and let out a warcry, followed by a fierce slash from above which Tommen dodged by stepping to the side.

It was as if a beast inside Ser Lothor had woken. He landed heavy but swift strikes, forcing Tommen to do his best to keep the blade away. When Ser Lothor's sword scraped Tommen's chestplate, the King felt a chill climb up his back. The knight kept pressing on, and with a shield bash sent the king staggering backwards. Stumbling on a corpse behind him, Tommen came staggering to the ground on his back and lost his helmet during the fall. My sword.. The King had lost the grip of his Valyrian steel sword, and now looked desperately around, knowing he only had two seconds before Ser Lothor would be on him again. Too late.

Ser Lothor swung his sword at Tommen, aiming for his unarmored face. Unlike out on the training yard of King's Landing, there were no rules in a true fight. You'd use every possible card you have unless you wanted to die. Tommen only had one. He let go of his shield and rolled to the side, attempting to dodge the incoming sword. Tommen felt warm liquid gush out from his cheek, and realized the hit had reached it's target. I'm alive, Tommen realized, and found his hand accidentally touch the familiar grip of Widow's Wail. The King forced himself up on his feet and with the back of his swordhand brushed the hair away from his eyes.

insi.png

Tommen met the eyes of Ser Lothor, who had pulled his visor up and stared at him in disbelief. ''My turn'', Tommen said defiantly and took a step forward, holding Widow's Wail with both hands. Ser Lothor pulled his visor down just in time to block Tommen's strike with a shield. The young king roared like a lion and forced his opponent to take a few steps back. To Ser Lothor's luck, there were no corpses on the way this time. For the second time in his life, Tommen felt like the Warrior himself, forcing his opponent to defensive approach and giving him no chance to return any strikes. With his helmet on and while hiding behind his shield, Tommen knew Ser Lothor could barely see anything. Using that as an advantage, the king leapt to the side, forcing his opponent to search for a moment where he'd gone.

When the knight turned, it was already too late for him. Widow's Wail sunk to Ser Lothor's leg, forcing him on his knees. He let out a moan from the pain, and Tommen kicked his shield, sending him on the ground on his back. The knight tried to rise, but his heavy armor made the effort hard. Tommen stepped on the knight's sword hand and with the other foot kicked Ser Lothor in the chest, forcing him again on his back against the ground. Without mercy, Tommen thrusted the blade of Widow's Wail through the knight's armor where he knew the man's heart would be. The Valyrian steel bit through the armor, and Ser Lothor took his last breath.

b2q9.png

Ser Lothor was no more, and Tommen put his foot on the deceased knight's chest, pulling the sword out of the body. When he looked around, he met the eyes of Lord Gabriel Darkholme of Rollingford. The battle around them had already turned into a victory, and the only Riverlanders Tommen could see were either running away or being butchered. Lord Darkholme steered his mount next to King Tommen, who now cleaned the bloody blade of his sword to the shirt of the spearman he'd killed earlier. The Lord of Rollingford stared at him with a concerned look on his face. ''Your Grace.. you're wounded.'' Only now Tommen felt the pain, and remembered how Ser Lothor had opened his cheek. The king wiped the blood away with the back of his armored hand, asking ''How bad is it?'' Lord Darkholme grimaced before answering: ''Looks gruesome.. but you'll live.''

Ser Osmund arrived next to the scene on foot, and had just as serious look on his face as Ser Darkholme before once he noticed Tommen's blood-stained face. The young king walked back to the corpse he'd stumbled, sheathed Widow's Wail and picked up his helmet and shield from the ground. He handed them both to Ser Osmund, who apologised; ''I could not keep up with you with the battle raging and you pushing deeper, and soon lost the sight of you. I'm glad to see you're alive, even if not.. unharmed, your Grace.'' Tommen patted the kingsguard on the shoulder and replied: ''The timing with bringing in the cavalry was perfect. You did well.''

''Any word from the right flank? How did Ser Loras fare?'', Tommen asked from Gabriel Darkholme. The Lord of Rollingford gazed to the other side of the field from the horseback and then turned to look again at Tommen: ''From the looks it seems he did just as well as we did. Bringing in the cavalry through the center made the flanks all nervous, and breaking their lines was almost too easy. All I can see is routing Riverlanders and loads of corpses.'' Tommen nodded as an answer and then went on: ''Give the men order not to pursue the routing Riverlanders. We'll return to the camp and tend to the wounded. Tomorrow morning, we leave for Harrenhal.''

''But what about the Twins, your Grace?'', asked Ser Osmund and then went on: ''The plan was to head all the way to there and take it. Mace Tyrell is already besieging Harrenhal.'' Tommen gave a nod to Ser Meryn who joined their company on a horseback and then went on: ''It was Littlefinger I wanted, not the Twins. He was not with the army, though, so my guess is that he's either at his seat in Harrenhal or already across the Narrow Sea. Question the captives to find out the truth as soon as possible. Whatever the case may be, his army is now shattered, so our men may besiege the keeps in peace without having to worry how twelve thousand men may fall upon them at night.''

Tommen and Ser Osmund were brought new horses, and the king left the battlefield with his two kingsguards. The day was theirs, yet the King had received a harsh reminder in his first battle that war was no game.

Last edited: