• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ebel

Recruit
2 Badges
Jun 20, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I'm using Linux (Ubuntu 13.04 raring), and initially when playing EU4 I had some weird map graphics errors and the game would hang after about an hour, crashing my Xorg and requiring a reboot ☹. In the "common problems" thread on the Tech Support forum it says:

If you are running on a laptop it is quite common that the laptop has two graphics card. In some cases the drivers fails to determine the correct card to be used and ends up using the one with low performance.
Please make sure that you set your settings (check your graphics control panel) to use the graphics card with the best performance.

I figured out how to do that on Linux, so thought I'd share.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. You can tell I have 2 graphics cards because of this:

Code:
$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
[b]00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)[/b]
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
[b]01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 525M] (rev ff)[/b]
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev ff)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
09:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] (rev 34)
0b:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)

I have bolded the 2 "VGA compatible controller" lines. There is 2, not one, ergo I have 2 graphics cards.By default it uses the (crappy) Intel one because it uses less power, but when you need the graphics power, you can use the nVidia better one.

For nVidia cards, you can use a system called Bumblebee[/code] to do this. [url=https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation]As per the Ubuntu wiki instructions, install it like so:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bumblebee virtualgl linux-headers-generic

Ensure you are in the
Code:
bumblebee
group.
Code:
 id | grep bumblebee
will tell you. Maybe reboot now, to be sure.

To run EU4 with your proper graphics card:
Code:
cd "~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Europa Universalis IV"
optirun eu4

Voila!

Another option is to use the "Valve proper way" of right clicking on the game you want to run with optirun in the steam menu, select properties. Then in the box that appears you see a "set launch options" button.

In there simply put in;

optirun %command%

Then steam will do it for you.

(A potential caveat is that eu4 and optirun seem to work on 13.04, but 12.04 not so much. I think ill go raise a report, that's not right)