• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So far... so so; did the VVS do this much damage against on the Luftwaffe in your last attempt? It has looked pretty odd, considering there have got to be more Soviet divisions elsewhere, but you are thrashing them on the ground, which I suppose is what counts.
Funnily enough, planes being destroyed on the ground is what caused the most damage to the VVS OTL, so it's a pretty non-gamey strategy :D
I have a bet too.... 86 days. I wanted to go 94, but 86 feels better to me.
Push forward, oh mighty Wehrmacht!

So far... so so; did the VVS do this much damage against on the Luftwaffe in your last attempt? It has looked pretty odd, considering there have got to be more Soviet divisions elsewhere, but you are thrashing them on the ground, which I suppose is what counts.
Funnily enough, planes being destroyed on the ground is what caused the most damage to the VVS OTL, so it's a pretty non-gamey strategy :D
I have a bet too.... 86 days. I wanted to go 94, but 86 feels better to me.
Push forward, oh mighty Wehrmacht!
So so?!?!
I see, we have a candidate for Siberia :laugh:

Regarding the last attempt, yes the VVS damaged the Luftwaffe a lot but I eventually succeeded to destroy all its FTR except 4 if I remember correctly. After, I enjoyed an air superiority which was almost useless considering the amount of enemy divisions and the poor status of the airbases (infra + level, all ruined). I won't say what I had planned for this game since I may be able to use it later.
I agree, the VVS has to be destroyed on the ground as history requires it. That is why I came up with this story of a lack of pilots.
86, it is noted!

IpG2ild.jpg

<- Erich Hartmann | 80 divisions! ->

Last edited:
I miss full scale maps sometimes, though your mode of presentation is great anyway. And your updates are frequent, which is no small deal for an AAR junkie like me. I was somewhat reluctant to read this, because of GAS ("Germany Again Syndrome"). My mistake :)
I try to find (and improve) innovative ways to report the situation graphically, as English is not my native language and that I could never hope to reach Teivel's narrative quality for example. Nice to read that you like it. Germany can be very interesting AND challenging once you put some constraints on the most obvious gamey tactics; then, this country becomes a totally different one.
Full scale maps are nice when an update if for one (or more) month ingame. It would not be viable here. But I drop from time to time a more global map to reframe everything, but not that often.
And welcome!

By the way, how's the Asian theatre progressing? It's been a while since we heard of that, or I may have missed something (in which case I apologize).
No apologies required! Nothing really happened, that's why there is no update. In China, the front is static even if there are full scale battles ongoing. There have been few minor naval skirmishes but with no ship sunk yet if I remember correctly. Note that the US entry in the war is very recent and that fleets didn't have time to cross the Pacific yet :laugh:

I may write a quick update tonight as I have almost no material left (but that's good ones). But it would be a light one.
Tonight, I expect to be able to resume the game. Then another day to create and save the new material. Only after that I will resume compiling things for the updates, perhaps this week-end or next week.

Considering the Abwehr is full of British agents, wouldn't they deflate the numbers to make the Germans even cockier to the point of making mistakes?

Now that's a scary thought.

No, I don't think so - as Clauswitz said, the best way is to destroy the enemy's will and ability to wage war. Warning the Germans of of an invincible enemy, overpowering them, outnumbering them, outgunning them, outfighting them is the best way to demoralize. If anything, an overly-cocky Germany is what has brought victory to Hitler so far - an invincible Luftwaffe in Scandinavia/France/USSR, and unbeaten Heer, etc.

Great update! Glad to see your pockets closing.

At least the Hitler in your timeline realizes that Russia won't be a cakewalk after all.

Luckily, ours didn't.

*shivers*
He has more realistic ministers in this AAR. :(

I love the presentation in the last update. In general, I think that one zoomed out screenshot helps to put things into perspective. I expect to see casualty reports after the big pocket is destroyed :].
Thank you, I like it as well. I think that have found the various ways required to render the Eastern front (and built the macros in Photoshop to lower micromanagement). I can't use zoomed out screenshots very often. First, they are not and I have to merge various screenshots. Secondly, they are not always available. And third I think that it is better to focus sometimes on some areas, to only then zoom out and show to the readers how the pieces are merging together. At least, that's how I see it.

Soon the entire might of the Soviet Union will come down upon the Fascist Invader! Za Rodinu! Za Stalina! URRAH~!
Yes, please, bring us more to destroy! It would be tiring to have to look for them one by one, and far deep in the country!

Its only the incompetence of the Abwehr that inflates the numbers!
The Fuehrer is mad, wondering how Abwehr could have miss 80 divisions; almost the size of the French army!!

Considering the Abwehr is full of British agents, wouldn't they deflate the numbers to make the Germans even cockier to the point of making mistakes?
Now that's a scary thought.
Perhaps it is time for a loyalty sweep?

No, I don't think so - as Clauswitz said, the best way is to destroy the enemy's will and ability to wage war. Warning the Germans of of an invincible enemy, overpowering them, outnumbering them, outgunning them, outfighting them is the best way to demoralize. If anything, an overly-cocky Germany is what has brought victory to Hitler so far - an invincible Luftwaffe in Scandinavia/France/USSR, and unbeaten Heer, etc.
Great update! Glad to see your pockets closing.
This will only steel the German resolve to liquidate such a threat. One doesn't build such a force to keep it idle. This can only justify the decision to pre-emptively attack this rat nest of the Communism!

The sheer amount of tanks and equipment the USSR was able to produce in real life (around 40 000 tanks!) was absolutely horrifying, yet still the Germans managed to somehow stand up against them with less than 4000 tanks.

Operation barbarossa may have been the greatest mistake in military history but the Germans still managed to make it seem like a huge success, if you compare the losses

Wars are not won by causing losses to the enemy; Germany had pretty good kill ratio in the East up to ~1944, but it still lost.

80 "new" divs, that's scary. Hopefully it's just an Abwehr mistake or the German generals overestimate the strength of the enemy to make their victories seem bigger and more glorious ;)

Oh, and I knew you'd use Fallschirmjägers to close the pocket. Good, good.

I stand corrected; I failed to see the envisioned encirclement of the Byelorussian front. Forgive me for my lack of vision, Fuhrer >.> Perhaps I should transfer from strategic observation to a command of one of Stumpff's squadrons? :p
Nonsense! The Abwehr are being fooled just as Stalin was by liars in the Bolshevik ranks seeking to inflate the Soviet ego. Methinks the rank and file operatives embedded in the Soviet armed forces have gotten too friendly with their commissars; when we pick them back up after shredding their units, they are due for a *thorough* debriefing. How would the Soviets be sending 81 divisions at us, are they only arming half of them and training a quarter? Unsinn, ich sagt!

Forum policy specifically requires that, if you use a foreign language (that is, not English) that you supply a translation, and that it be used sparingly. More importantly, abusive words in any language are not tolerated. Thank you.

Forum policy...
Thank you Avindian for the quick intervention.

To anybody, what had happened won't be tolerated, and I have no qualm to report troublemakers myself. So please, don't break the rules here. Should this happen again, please also let me deal with it; no need to expose yourself to a reprimand. Just PM me.
Chapter closed :)

I apologize for not updating this last week as intended, RL didn't allow it. But you can expect a daily update next week.

those almost 500 divs seem just on abwehrs paper... it seems kinda too easy :D
Kinda! :laugh:

The sheer amount of tanks and equipment the USSR was able to produce in real life (around 40 000 tanks!) was absolutely horrifying, yet still the Germans managed to somehow stand up against them with less than 4000 tanks.
Operation barbarossa may have been the greatest mistake in military history but the Germans still managed to make it seem like a huge success, if you compare the losses
I won't share the 'huge success' gist because they have been ultimately defeated, but I perfectly see your point. These last years, there has been quite a lot of writing showing that what was perceived before as military fumbles were not. Before, the orders of no retreat in front of Moscow was a huge mistake; now it saved the Wehrmacht. Before, stopping the push to Moscow was another strategic failure; now it is more and more commonly admitted that it would not have been possible anyway with an entire Soviet armies around Kiev (and which have been destroyed when the German offensive shifted to the South) Etc. No to say that the German made no mistakes, but everybody did.

Wars are not won by causing losses to the enemy; Germany had pretty good kill ratio in the East up to ~1944, but it still lost.
80 "new" divs, that's scary. Hopefully it's just an Abwehr mistake or the German generals overestimate the strength of the enemy to make their victories seem bigger and more glorious ;)
Oh, and I knew you'd use Fallschirmjägers to close the pocket. Good, good.
50% of the German losses happened during the last year of the war.
If Stalin want to send more divisions to die for their country, I am fine with that. Albeit I am afraid that +80 is a very low estimate :(
I wanted to use the Fallschirmjägers for Operation K. I won't :sad: Not now.

I stand corrected; I failed to see the envisioned encirclement of the Byelorussian front. Forgive me for my lack of vision, Fuhrer >.> Perhaps I should transfer from strategic observation to a command of one of Stumpff's squadrons? :p
Nonsense! The Abwehr are being fooled just as Stalin was by liars in the Bolshevik ranks seeking to inflate the Soviet ego. Methinks the rank and file operatives embedded in the Soviet armed forces have gotten too friendly with their commissars; when we pick them back up after shredding their units, they are due for a *thorough* debriefing. How would the Soviets be sending 81 divisions at us, are they only arming half of them and training a quarter? Unsinn, ich sagt!
Dofon, I missed your ass-kisser comments! :D Hmm,hmm... Is this were you did your strategic observation?
Well, according to Abwehr, the Soviets had apparently started to rearm since 1917, methinks that stopping them was overdue. Now, you may be correct, it may be nonsense.

Last edited:
That Lithuanian pocket looks dangerous indeed. Are you still going to attempt to starve them? I imagine even if the supply chain can be disrupted, that would tie down a lot of your ground units to as Reserves to contain them.