• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The difference now is that ~150 Soviet units won't appear if the Germans take Moscow in time. And most of these units are better equiped than the Germans (MOT42,...). If Moscow fells, it is a piece of cake. If Moscow resists, the situation changes from "let's finish the Soviets" in 42 to "run for your life!". A situation that we have both experienced, apparently :)

Last edited:
Wait wait wait, spearhead thrust to Moscow is a winning strategy now? Back in the day (old WiF), it would be a suicide. The only way to win against USSR I remember was to encircle and destroy as many Red Army units as (in)humanely possible in the first months of Barbarossa. Headlong rush towards Moscow would most likely have resulted in your being overwhelmed by the Soviet onslaught pretty quickly. I clearly remember one of my games where I annihilated most of RA in 1941 and expected an easy 1942 campaign to finish off the USSR, only to find out that the Soviets hd completely replenished all the losses during the winter and in the spring started counter-attacking all along my thinly-manned front. That wasn't a good feeling...

I had 46 motorized and 10 tanks in my latest German game, all with armored cars, and throwing them all at Moscow DOES result in taking it within a few months, even without forward deploying infantry. You just have to be a lot more bold, and aggressive than usual, in those first opening months.

Later, if you don't win by winter, and the Soviets have already fired off general mobilization and have a decent amount of land left, your best bet is to bleed them dry, in a more cautious and methodical game than usual. Or, you end up burning up too much oil before they're sufficiently neutralized. You also probably need to have taken South Africa at minimum, hopefully full blown Sealion, because rare materials also begin to look sketchy if it's going to be a long war. Without a good navy, you really need to kill USSR before winter to secure the win.

The emphasis really shifts on maximizing manpower damage if the blitz isn't going to work. You start out by doing garrison/motor combos like Maginot, and then to infantry stacks as you run low on oil and they simply put out too many divisions to surround reliably. Eventually it breaks them before it breaks you, as long as you avoid losing any divisions to stupid moves. Never leave a man behind, and you will come out ahead.

By the way, not being full authoritarian takes a bit of the partisan pressure off of you.

You're speaking of WiF2 or the old version? Because I don't remember it was *that* deterministic in the old WiF (but then, maybe I forgot). In a game I remember best, I surrounded the Red Army in about 4 major 'kessels' in 1941, with a HUGE encirclement in Belarus (my proudest moment). Then I advanced towards Moscow, Leningrad, and Rostov, pretty much according to the historical sequence. The winter came and I failed to isolate Moscow. Next year, the Soviets were throwing at me dozens of new units, so I shortened the front a bit in some places and created mobile reserves to defend weak spots. I launched an offensive in the South (again, pretty much the historical path) and seized the Caucasus. I still had time to swing north and advance along the Volga to surround and isolate Moscow. I think I won over the Soviets that year or the next, I don't remember exactly.

My point is, without the HUGE encirclements during initial Barbarossa, I would have been TOAST. The Red Army would have steamrolled me. Only because I had captured so many Russians was I able to maintain the front and go on another offensive the next year; otherwise I would have been totally outnumbered and all my reserves would have had to deal with Russian counter-attacks, leaving nothing for any strategic initiative on my part.

Anyway, this isn't really relevant, since this is a new game. I am following mainly because I want to see how it works there, and watching an experienced player is always more fun :)

You're speaking of WiF2 or the old version?
I was speaking of WiF2. During my previous attempt, I destroyed ~90% of the Soviet forces, didn't take Moscow, and found myself in a totally defensive situation right after.

oR0hHx3.jpg

Last edited:
Long ranged subs to bring more butter to east Prussia, and also giving all troops the opportunity to travel the world with the Wehrmacht for 3 year for free.

Sigh, my "favourite" moment in every Germany game is inexorably approaching...

The dismemberment of Czechoslovakia. I am always a bit conflicted about that ;)

Long ranged subs to bring more butter to east Prussia, and also giving all troops the opportunity to travel the world with the Wehrmacht for 3 year for free.
I am afraid that you are being sarcastic. Every knows that the Fuehrer is concerned for the safety of the cargo's crews. And what is safer than a submarine during a storm, I am asking you? Germany will have the first underwater cargo fleet.

Do even 1933 subs still have ridiculously high range and same attack/defence stats as 1937 subs? If that's true, then there is not much point in researching 1937 subs IMO.
You are correct. I could say that I was not supposed to know before developping it that the only improvment for the new subs is an extended range of 3000 kms. But to be honest, I didn't know until you wrote about it.

Yes, but it can be done extremely quickly later, because of post-historical-year bonuses.
Once again, you are correct. Nevertheless, I would have developed the new subs; I prefer their icons, and I may need the extended range.

The dismemberment of Czechoslovakia. I am always a bit conflicted about that ;)
What are you talking about? Austria was the Fuehrer last territorial claim.

(PS: You are Czech. Imagine about me, when I still hear that the French didn't fight during ww2. Anyway, this is a game, so I can make fun of it.)

Great AAR. How large are your naval and air forces?
Thank you, glad that you enjoy it.
Not on the record, Germany will have at the outbreak of the war:
24 FTR, 12 CAS, 12 TAC, 1 INT, 4 TR
3 battleships, 3 heavy cruisers, 5 light cruisers, 3 destroyer groups, 8 transports
I have only kept what was in the queue at the beginning of the scenario, in 33, except for the 10 CLVI which will arrive in October. Don't forget that Germany cannot build a real navy so far, as long as she abides to the Anglo-German Naval Agreement.

This AAR will continue to WWII or its pre-war guide for Germany?
Hopefully, it will continue after the pre-war period. Perhaps no so extensively except for some specific war time events. I have not decided yet.
After this week, I will have to travel so there will be no update, or sporadically only.

W7CAlYX.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hopefully, it will continue after the pre-war period. Perhaps no so extensively except for some specific war time events. I have not decided yet.

Well, I hope so.

I'd LOVE to see campaign updates - you know, to explain the strategy and then screens with how it went in reality; plus a post-mortem analysis of what went wrong if things don't work out as planned :D

If you could keep it up until the final victory/defeat of the Third Reich, it would be a perfect tutorial material for DH/WiF2 players.

Well, I hope so.

I'd LOVE to see campaign updates - you know, to explain the strategy and then screens with how it went in reality; plus a post-mortem analysis of what went wrong if things don't work out as planned :D

If you could keep it up until the final victory/defeat of the Third Reich, it would be a perfect tutorial material for DH/WiF2 players.
I can't promise to do all of that. That would be a lot of work added to an already substantial amount of time spent on this. We will see what will happen.

OZL1PLt.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is a great idea, lets make a film about a brave German in Tibet, extra drama could come if the perfidious British declared war on Germany.