• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

zubozrout

Second Lieutenant
18 Badges
Oct 6, 2012
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
Hello,
I am glad Paradox Interactive is taking Linux seriously and is starting to support Linux via Steam. I noticed you've just released Crusader Kings 2 for Linux. It is great to see that, but unfortunately this is really not my favourite genre.
According to phoronix.com there are more Paradox Interactive titles coming to Linux in the future, which is great news if true. For long time I am suspecting Cities in Motion may eventually be ported over to Linux as well, but I give it even more chances now. (CiM Linux support)

My question is whether someone can confirm CiM2 will be available for Linux on Steam or not? I would really love to be able to play that game, please - Wine is not a perfect solution and I don't use/like Windows, though I had to purchase them with my new laptop :'(

Sure, I agree. It may take some time until more games are available for Linux but I really hope they'll come. It is not only about desktop, but also about Valve's Steam Box, which will be powered by Linux. And since one port will run on the console and on desktop (and eventually on Ubuntu Phone and with some tweaks on Android too), it may certainly pay off :)
In addition, I would be so much happy to be able to play such an awesome game like CiM2 on my favourite platform.

Technically moving from Mac to Linux is "easy" - we will be making Linux a priority as go along. So sooner or later all games where it's technically/financially feasible to do Linux will see linux support.

/s

Technically moving from Mac to Linux is "easy" - we will be making Linux a priority as go along. So sooner or later all games where it's technically/financially feasible to do Linux will see linux support.

/s

Awesome news. Thank you very much for your support. As to CiM2, I am looking forward to this one in particular, but I am certain I can try other titles if it is going to be at least a little bit interesting to me, just to support your initiative.

can only agree with the guys above. Linux might become a more and more important OS for gaming (depending on what way Microsoft is going to take with Windows in the future...)...

can only agree with the guys above. Linux might become a more and more important OS for gaming (depending on what way Microsoft is going to take with Windows in the future...)...
Since Win8 was announced I'm dual booting Win7 and Linux Mint, and I'm spending more and more time with Mint, and I love it. Only starting Win7 for games and so on. So hearing news like this is really great.

Linux support would be amazing! Especially now with Steam for linux. Gaming needs to move to a more open platform.

I know for a fact if you have Mac support, linux support will be easy.

Cim1 used the OpenGL engine instead of DirectX (I believe), which means that Cim1 actually works perfectly on Linux (I run Ubuntu 12.04... the program Play on Linux is very useful in installing games such as this). Mine crashes occasionally but that is a small price to pay when you consider the vast number of games that are not compatible with Linux.

As long as CIM2 uses the same engine (as I think it is called), OpenGL, the game should theoretically run perfectly on Linux with the help of an emulation program such as Wine or PoL as I mentioned earlier.

Gaming with Linux is really getting somewhere, especially since my two most-played games (CIM1 and CK2) both work perfectly on it!

Cim1 used the OpenGL engine instead of DirectX (I believe), which means that Cim1 actually works perfectly on Linux (I run Ubuntu 12.04... the program Play on Linux is very useful in installing games such as this). Mine crashes occasionally but that is a small price to pay when you consider the vast number of games that are not compatible with Linux.

As long as CIM2 uses the same engine (as I think it is called), OpenGL, the game should theoretically run perfectly on Linux with the help of an emulation program such as Wine or PoL as I mentioned earlier.

Gaming with Linux is really getting somewhere, especially since my two most-played games (CIM1 and CK2) both work perfectly on it!

Cities in Motion is available for Mac OS X as well as the upcoming version will be, so it uses OpenGL. CiM runs well under Wine, but crashes occasionally as you write, which is why I don't want to play it as such.
However, it seems Paradox Interactive will provide Linux port of CiM (don't know if both versions, but I am especially looking forward to the upcoming title :D ).

Native version is always better than any Wine version.
Right now I have native Steam on my system and few more games which works without Steam in Wine.
Steam doesn't allow to run same account on two systems (Wine + native) together, so I don't really won't to keep two steam version on same computer.

OpenGL and Direct3D are not engines. They are renderers, hardware-accelerated software which provides the actual rendering and display using the GPU. Graphics engines are a separate thing...

Yes, Wine is fairly unstable as it is, let alone for games. A Linux version would be very little effort on the developers part, it just requires the go ahead from the publisher. I feel a petition coming on to show paradox there is a reason to supporting linux with CiM2. Not a "WE DEMAND" petition, just a number to give to Paradox to show there is a valid business reason to give a linux version a go ahead. Especially now with Steam being on Linux, purchasing one copy gives you all the platforms I believe? Would be perfect for me!

Would be great to see this game and more Paradox games on Linux. Wine isn't really the answer in my opinion, not very stable in some cases and causes problems if the game uses Steam for example (logging into two locations at once). Native's the way to go if at all possible, and sounds like it could be with it already be on OpenGL

Any new news about this on CIM2?