• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A succinct update, but very well done nonetheless. I'm liking the style of this a lot - it reads well and isn't dry, which can sometimes happen to the more history book oriented AARs.

The map as a little addendum was a nice touch as well - your battle plan looked rather similar to that of one Graf von Schlieffen. Good thing it worked this time ;)

Looking forward to the next update.

Interesting, are you planning to annex the are around Dunkirk too?

Nicely written AAR you've got going here :) I'll be following with interest

I like your idea of setting up Lorraine as a buffer state, does it complete cover your border with France?

Interesting, are you planning to annex the are around Dunkirk too?
Probably not (I plan to create a Wallonian puppet state), but if I get into another war with France I might hand it over to Wallonia. I generally aim to annex Germanic areas, Dunkirk was part of the Holy Roman Empire (I think) but is more French.

Nicely written AAR you've got going here :) I'll be following with interest

I like your idea of setting up Lorraine as a buffer state, does it complete cover your border with France?

It does! Here's a map I neglected to include:
3057fb30-8adc-4067-b6f1-fc07504a0f23_zps76deac06.jpg

Probably not (I plan to create a Wallonian puppet state), but if I get into another war with France I might hand it over to Wallonia. I generally aim to annex Germanic areas, Dunkirk was part of the Holy Roman Empire (I think) but is more French.

[/IMG]

Actually, the Dunkirk area, was flemish, so germanic, even today, after centuries of french rule, they keep speaking a dutch dialect

PD: What about the Swiss? Are you planning to bring them into the German Motherland?

Actually, the Dunkirk area, was flemish, so germanic, even today, after centuries of french rule, they keep speaking a dutch dialect

PD: What about the Swiss? Are you planning to bring them into the German Motherland?

Ah, I see. A target has been acquired!

And yes, Switzerland will be included.

About the regions in Italy, France, etc in non Eastern Europe to be included in the Empire, I recomend you to read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Germanic_Reich

Thank you! I had a few brief glances at that before, but didn't realise the information included. It's a shame, it would be pretty cool if it didn't involve Nazis and genocide (and a whole host of other things).:sad: That's why I had to put a note about Nazism on the introduction.

Thank you! I had a few brief glances at that before, but didn't realise the information included. It's a shame, it would be pretty cool if it didn't involve Nazis and genocide (and a whole host of other things).:sad: That's why I had to put a note about Nazism on the introduction.

I know, and I didn't mean to turn it that way, just wanted to share information about regions that might (or not, that's up to you) be included in a Greater Germany... and I agree with you, waht could have been a great idea, was turn into a horror

I know, and I didn't mean to turn it that way, just wanted to share information about regions that might (or not, that's up to you) be included in a Greater Germany... and I agree with you, waht could have been a great idea, was turn into a horror

Don't worry! Thank you, the information was a great help.

VII - Crisis in the East
1856-1858

With everything nearly in place for German unification, it was perhaps months before the final country, Austria, was to be "convinced" to join the union. So it was of great annoyance to the Confederation when, in May, the Ottoman Empire decided to again invade Montenegro. Austria was not currently in a position to allow military access and Russia was undergoing a violent uprising on the border. Germany did not have the capacity to transport troops via the sea, so the last option was to enlist the assistance of Hungary and Egypt, both being heavily under German influence.

But this plan soon failed. Hungary experienced a large Transylvanian uprising and could not help. Egypt, Montenegro's last hope, was pushed back into Syria by Ottoman troops.
60654403.jpg

Ottoman troops storm across Egypt.

Egypt then came under attack by Great Britain in a separate war, and the delicate German control over the region came crashing down. Germany was forced to decline to help Egypt in any further war, and thus any chance of a German Egypt was now very small. Egypt surrendered to the Ottomans in March, who gave them a generous white peace.

Montenegro seemed to be lost, but no official peace had been signed between Germany and the Ottomans, so a degree of hope remained that Austria would allow troops through their nation. However, it would be Hungary who would save the tiny country, invading the northern part of the Ottomans and liberating Montenegro.
665cffc5-9cca-41ba-bcd8-1206e90c0940_zps2b835e5a.jpg

Hungary begins the offensive.

After a brief skirmish with the small garrison, the Hungarian army received a hero's welcome in Cetinje, and the peace was signed soon afterwards. Germany had avoided potential embarrassment, but as a result had delayed unification and damaged relations in Egypt.

VIII - The Last King of Austria
Told using diaries, letters and other personal accounts from the Koblenz Archives

April 20th, 1858

Franz Joseph sat at the table, accompanied by his Prime Minister, Count von Buol, and several other members of the government. He was only 28 years old, but the effects of stress were beginning to show on the young man's face. He knew that the people of Austria were losing their almost unshakeable respect for him.

He glanced outside the window, where he could make out the gates of the palace. There was a large crowd gathered outside, holding placards, the words on which he could not make out. A second, presumably opposed, protest group arrived from the right and several police gunshots could be heard. Franz turned back to the table.

Across from him sat Friedrich of Germany, accompanied by his respective government officials, and several intimidating body guards. Two of these were stood menacingly behind Franz himself. The German King was saying something to von Buol, but Franz had given up listening properly some time ago. He thought it was best that he returned to the negotiations.

"I am sure you are very aware," said Friedrich, "that your empire is falling apart. Are you not told what is going on? Have you heard of the revolts down to the south?" He paused, muttered something to the man behind him and continued.

"This is our final offer. We will offer all Austrians a place in the new German Empire," he pointed to the map in front of him - "according to these borders. You will have a democratic regional government. You will have stability."

Franz looked across to von Buol, who had his face in his hands. An hour previously he had been animatedly shouting down the Germans' demands. But it was too much now. It was evidently Franz's turn to speak.

"And if I refuse? This is ridiculous, it is far-fetched. It can never happen."

"Well, you have no support from any country to help with the rebel situation. I doubt your ancestors' empire will last much longer. Austria will fall apart into violence."

A German officer produced a slip of paper and slid it towards the young King. Franz turned once more to von Buol, who nodded slowly. He put his pen to the paper and signed his name.

"Good, very good," said the King. "Preparations will begin immediately. We will send troops to restore order here in Vienna, and food for the famine in the south."

Franz nodded again and swiftly left the room. In the hallway he solemnly studied a portrait of his father, before retiring to his bedchamber. As the rain outside intensified, he realised suddenly that he was the last King of Austria.

I wonder how the non-Germans will enjoy being part of a Greater Germany?

Always neat to see a Greater Germany created, keep up the enjoyable quality.

They won't, unfortunately (I presume you are referring to the Croats etc.). The Czechs will because of the industrial potential in that area, but the rest I will release and keep as satellites.

They won't, unfortunately (I presume you are referring to the Croats etc.). The Czechs will because of the industrial potential in that area, but the rest I will release and keep as satellites.

Also the Polish Areas of the Old Austrian Empire?

Also the Polish Areas of the Old Austrian Empire?

They'll be released too. Although they will cause a mildly interesting situation in the future (can't say anything else, spoilers!).

As an extra point, the word "satellite" isn't really clearly defined by the game. They can declare independence, so I would presume they are on the level similar to Egypt. Not technically owned by Britain, but included on maps of the empire.

Two very well done updates interesting to consider the last Austrian emperor - I'd think it would be feasible to imagine that perhaps some sort of greement was put in place, whereby Franz Joseph was able to keep some sort of title as a constitutional monarch within Großdeutschland - for example, 'ruling' as Emperor in Austria with a parliament running the country.

Sorry, I'm rambling ;) Nicely done, in any case. I'm looking forward to more.

Two very well done updates interesting to consider the last Austrian emperor - I'd think it would be feasible to imagine that perhaps some sort of greement was put in place, whereby Franz Joseph was able to keep some sort of title as a constitutional monarch within Großdeutschland - for example, 'ruling' as Emperor in Austria with a parliament running the country.

Sorry, I'm rambling ;) Nicely done, in any case. I'm looking forward to more.

Or maybe King in Austria, and the Emperor over him