• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just caught up with the last few updates. hell of a Balkan campaign you've been fighting there, and I love what the Allies are doing in France.
Let's just hope they don't stall at the Rhine again...

Apologies, guys. Some kind of ugly case of writer block and vacation combination.. Game is still two updates ahead, and there might be some free time these coming weeks, so will look into it and hope to put everything in writing soon(-ish) :)

Looking forward to more updates... One of my favourite AARs...

Apologies, guys. Some kind of ugly case of writer block and vacation combination.. Game is still two updates ahead, and there might be some free time these coming weeks, so will look into it and hope to put everything in writing soon(-ish) :)

Glad to hear it.

Having A Dream. January - February, 1944
Having A Dream. January - February, 1944

Even with hope in men trickling away with each passing day, we were managed push the enemy out of the mountains of Berkovica by January 21, routing 7000 Germans from 218. Infantry of Lt.Gen. van Hulse, after 3 days of intense fighting, with nearly half thousand lost on each side.

We did not have any opportunity to use these gains either, as within the next three days we lost another 600 men, successfully fending off an onslaught of German Panzer division from Lom.

A trophy Hotchkiss H-39 used by 14. German Panzer Division in Vratsa. January 23, 1944

I was called to the Army HQ that night, stationed in one of the surviving farmhouses on the outskirts of Vratsa, when we were informed the change of Chief of Staff - General Juozas Barzda-Bradauskas was appointed few days ago. We all felt - some changes in organization of Lithuanian army were coming - for better or worse.

We were also immediately issued an order for tactical retreat to Sofia, along with 3rd Marines, stationed nearby, both to shorten the frontline, and to assist Brits, who were constantly being harassed by German troops in the hills to the southwest of the city.

At that point, however, the reasons to me and my men were as good as any, I was only glad we could leave this dreadful countryside, dotted with wrecks of trucks and tanks, still smoking here nd there, shell holes and bloody trenches under low grey sky.

IAXHXxH.png

Sofia was already in sight when were informed about the elimination of Pazardzhik pocket, nearly 25,000 Axis troops strong. Finally. January 26, 1944​

As far as I could understand, our forces further east were not doing that great - after a prolonged staring contest with German Panzer division, entrenched in the mountains north from Stara Zagora, now they had to fight-off Romanian infantry as well.

Although we were just in time to relieve Sofia defenders - an exhausted Marine division, on a brink of disaster, we could not notice the difference in the city itself. There was no cheering anymore among its inhabitants, like the time we entered the main square headed by Bulgarian guerrilla fighters back in November, and it felt so much more ruined and desolate.

By the 29th, the German assault on Sofia was finally beaten-off, leaving two and a half thousand men dead on both sides, twice as many Germans, as Brits.

It was the sacrifice of those men, and of our bold guys fighting further east, that we got a short respite, just for a few days, and our commanders used them to the fullest. With two fresh British divisions coming in and one new Bulgarian just formed up, we got our orders to pack our belongings post-haste, leave all heavy equipment to the new troops and board the trains heading to Thessaloniki on the morning of Jan 31. I can still remember the faces of the men in my company, full of disbelief and relief at the same time, after I came-in running, with the order on my lips way before I entered the barrack doors.

In three days we were in Athens, a bit later joined by the guys from all four volunteer divisions, which have sailed there from Varna, just two days before advancing Germans captured the port.

w7AKkgm.png

There were some rumours in the press that Bulgarian government was holding secret talks with Romanians for a separate peace agreement. February 3, 1944

It came unexpected as a thunder, even though a pleasant one, when I met my brother Vincas there in Athens on the 4th of February. Apparently, he was taking part (as a member Lithuanian diplomatic mission) at a conference destined to determine the conditions and terms of transfer of the administration from our military one to Greek civil government, who have just returned from exile in London.

As far as I could understand at that point, Lithuanian military command was relocating from Balkan theater for good, and with the front still unstable, Allied command was hoping that the increase in Greek resources could help reaching the balance with advancing Axis forces.

With a few hours at our hands, we managed to talk only very briefly on the matter of world affairs, and the impression I left with, was quite a bleak one.

German Fortress Europe was standing strong still, even with Atlantikwall breached or abandoned due to American attack from the south of France, and Russians capturing Kiev at last. Germans still had the remnants of the Maginot line and their own Siegfried line still intact, and apparently there were reports of intense and bloody battles in the forest of the Eastern Front. Attacking in winter was a feat, even Russians were not fully prepared for.

1ogXYac.png

Festung Europa. February 5, 1944

Another worry, and perhaps even a bigger one to the Allied command, was the seemingly unchecked Japanese advance all over Asia, far east Pacific islands, Australia and Oceania - from Siberia and Calcutta in the West, to Midway, Wellington and Sidney in the East, topped by the fall of Nepal just several days ago.

POX0PAj.png

The fight was still ongoing for Dutch colonies, and the outcome was far from certain. February 5, 1944​

The single force having potential to stop them, was the USA, as most modern British assets were tied-up in Europe. Despite that, all the Lithuanian diplomats were aware of, were promises of the Americans to sail out with their Pacific fleet in force really soon.

There were also talks of a high level conference being planned for the following months, with most Allied leaders and Stalin attending, but my brother could not tell yet, even to me, when and where it is going to take place.

Last edited:
So glad this is back. Shame about having to leave Bulgaria.

So am I. I wonder what theater of war the Lithuanians will end up in next? If they are to liberate Lithuania before the Soviets maybe Denmark? Or do they have to help out in the Pacific?

BTW what ever happened to the Lithuanian air force? Didn't we see a glimpse of them in an eralier update. Are their material obsolete so they are grounded or are they somewhere quieter?

Took some time but it's finally here, Lithuanians should liberate the beautiful capital of theirs, visited Vilnius few weeks ago and it was truly impressive. How far are Germans from Moscow and what is the secret of Japanese success? I can't wait where this is going. Shame with Bulgaria though, these kind of battles are always draining manpower and a lot of it.

What happened to Mengjiang? Anyway, Japan being strong happened in my latest AAR as well...

With leaving the Balkans, where will the LAFE (Lithuanian Armed Forces in Exile) strike next? I'm also increasingly curious about how is Lithuania represented in this game, seeing you sneakily overlapped it's location by the painting :D

Japan is invading Australia? Geez, the Pacific War is in trouble.

BTW, according to the map, Nepal hasn't fallen, Bhutan has.

Thanks! :) As for Bulgaria.. It's sad, but I never really intended or hoped to keep it ;)

So am I. I wonder what theater of war the Lithuanians will end up in next? If they are to liberate Lithuania before the Soviets maybe Denmark? Or do they have to help out in the Pacific?

BTW what ever happened to the Lithuanian air force? Didn't we see a glimpse of them in an earlier update. Are their material obsolete so they are grounded or are they somewhere quieter?

I was actually thinking along these lines - but none of the plans looked worthy enough to try - I did not have navy cover for amphibious landing in Denmark; something like operation "Dracula" - landing behind the Japanese lines in Burma would have been nice, but again, no naval support there either.. I also had some thought about saving Melbourne, but it looked a little far-fetched, besides, Australians still have some guys fighting there, so the hope is not lost. :)

My squadron of fighters has been staying in Alexandria, and for a long while already. Even though the pilots were all newly British-trained, obsolete ANBO's and Gloster Gladiators were of no particular use anymore, not with enemy - mostly Yugoslavian - air superiority in the Balkans. But they will have a role in the next Lithuanian operation, I promise ;)

Took some time but it's finally here, Lithuanians should liberate the beautiful capital of theirs, visited Vilnius few weeks ago and it was truly impressive. How far are Germans from Moscow and what is the secret of Japanese success? I can't wait where this is going. Shame with Bulgaria though, these kind of battles are always draining manpower and a lot of it.

Thanks, GermanKaiser! I think Germans blew their chances back in 1942, when they were some 400 km away from Moscow after the capture of Smolensk, IIRC. And Japanese - I guess they just did not have anything else to do, with National China defeated back in 1938, so directed all their efforts to Siberia. I was actually more worried about Pacific islands, as at one point, I think, Hawaii islands were changing hands several times.

What happened to Mengjiang? Anyway, Japan being strong happened in my latest AAR as well...

With leaving the Balkans, where will the LAFE (Lithuanian Armed Forces in Exile) strike next? I'm also increasingly curious about how is Lithuania represented in this game, seeing you sneakily overlapped it's location by the painting :D

Well, Mao happened :D I went back through my saves, and, apparently, Communist China joined the Allies in early spring of 1943 and went on a rampage against Mengjiang, capturing it within 3 months. Of course, they were crushed soon after, but perhaps the puppet created by the Japanese had different borders this time :)

As for the map, it IS sneaky, but not the way you think - it would be quite hard for me to get into the Baltics without having Denmark first, and I did not have it. What is just a little bit sneaky, is cutting the southern part of Europe, so that the next part of the story remained hidden. Perhaps it would be sufficient to say, that at this point, Lithuania has some land occupied in Greece still. And Corsica.:ninja:

Japan is invading Australia? Geez, the Pacific War is in trouble.

Have no fear, the US of A are *almost* here! :) No, really, they are coming.

Germany is screwed long term
Yes, yes they are :D

BTW, according to the map, Nepal hasn't fallen, Bhutan has.

Haha, you have keen eyes!, true, this map is from few days earlier before Nepal surrendered :) But it needed to be mentioned :)

Last edited: