• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't think Allies vs. Comintern aka WWIII would happen at least until Germany is definitely at its downfall. Myself, I'm gonna wait for next updates, to see how the Europe gets re-divided :)

I think I have finally caught up on this glorious AAR (the table of contents seems out of date).

Huh, I've never noticed this AAR has so many chapters already...! :eek:

Anyway, ToC is for people with way too much time on their hands :p

Thank you, guys, it is really great to have you here (still :D).

I've updated the ToC, and, hopefully, will be able to add an update this week as well, as I managed to play till the end of December this weekend.

We May Never Return Home. November - December, 1943
We May Never Return Home. November - December, 1943

Bulgaria was in turmoil. Axis troops, stranded and cut off from their supply lines were trying to get through liberated lands to the safety by any way possible - scattered, by night, like Hungarians further east, or attacking in force, like two German divisions, stuck south of Stanke Dimitrov, with a third - motorized one - trying to keep the path to Yugoslavian mountains open.

oVWIxit.png

Northern Greece was finally transferred to Greek military administration. Hopefully, it will not be a temporary measure. November 15, 1943.

The confusion was not restricted to the Axis command, however. As the events were unfolding at a lightning speed, Allied commanders seemed to be at a loss on what should our next actions be. As I recall, our unit would receive at least 3 different and contradicting orders some days, ranging from digging in around Sofia, supporting marines in the west or marching south, to clear the remaining German resistance.

Apparently, there were some serious disputes between Bulgarian leaders and allies commanders, mainly on who should have the supreme command in Bulgarian territory, and the strategy, suited best in those circumstances.

Bulgarian forces, now having incorporated some of the guerrilla units, were feeling confident enough to consider Allies being able to defend the borders of Bulgaria.

General Hastings, who flew to Sofia in mid November, insisted that the numbers of Allied numbers are vastly insufficient - not with huge battles undergoing further west, on the Greek-Yugoslavian border, and defensive measures must be taken to entrench in the mountains around Sofia and weather the storm, which was definitely coming.

The Greeks had their own mind on this as well, taking account their recent relationships with the Bulgarians, thus, our own command was caught in the middle, and forces torn apart to fill-in the holes in the front line as needed.

MaTWaHg.png

Guys from 3rd Marine have cut the corridor for German retreat at Surdulica. November 23, 1943

Further west, on Adriatic coast, our volunteer corps was struggling with keeping the front line intact from incoming Axis reinforcements, headed for Tirana, while our division was chasing the disheartened Germans in the south.

ZuglUHo.png

By November 26 all Axis forces in southern Bulgaria - 6 divisions, 40000 men in total - ceased any resistance and surrendered.

The storm WAS coming, and it did not let us wait for long. Even though we heard Soviet assurances over radio to liberate Romania within the next week - at least seven weeks in a row at that time, their troops were apparently still struggling to cross Dniester in force. Then, the reports started coming in from the 20th of November of large Axis formations, including armour, crossing Danube and marching south entirely unopposed - there were no troops whatsoever left between them and us.

vi8OGFS.png

German troops moving towards Varna. November 24, 1943.

First blow fell on our 2nd Division, stationed in Berkovica - 3 German divisions attacked from multiple directions, and even the counter attacks and British bombers were not sufficient to break this onslaught.

2TdpV7q.png

Waffen SS division was a tough nut to crack. November 28, 1943

Our own division was rushed into Sofia and reached the battle on December 1, but it was all too late - our 3rd Infantry was scattered a day later and retreated from Berkovica with a loss of nearly 1600 men, while another German division occupied hills to the east of Sofia.

The battle for Vratsa raged for another 5 days, almost 27000 of our men against at least 6000 Germans. We won in the end, with casualties on both sides reaching over 1000.
Those days were both sobering and tragic - nearly three thousand Lithuanians, Greeks and Bulgarians were lost in a single week. Several German armour divisions were roaming in the east, the mountains all around were crawling with Axis troops. What were we to do now?

CIXzrCO.png

Single American Marine division was sent as reinforcements to Bulgaria, three in total for the whole Balkan front. December 6, 1943

There was no easy answer, and we had to learn to live one day at a time. We fought Germans off as good as we could, we were chasing them, digging in, withdrawing, and then attacking again, day after day, keeping ourselves and those next to us alive. We could not surrender, not now.

Last edited:
I think the main focus should be to evac as much of your army as possible. Even losing a single division will be major for you, so best that you survive and set up new defensive lines somewhere else, than try to stem the tide.

Yeah, falling back to Greece seems like the best idea to me. Alternatively, you might just completely get out of there and strike elsewhere.

Good job in southern Bulgaria, but darn that victory was overshadowed by events.

Do you think you will be able to hold Bulgaria until Allied or Soviet help arrives?

I think holding the Peloponnese Peninsula and Athens at all costs should be the name of the game until the allies bring in some more reinforcements. Good luck!

Thank you for comments, guys :)

Actually, I was thinking for quite some time on how to deal with this situation before going further, I can only say that it gets somehow resolved within the next month. Cannot promise an update today, but it's in the works.

i can only say that it gets somehow resolved within the next month. Cannot promise an update today, but it's in the works.
f5. F5. F5. :)

f5?

F5 :(

f5. F5. F5. :)

f5?

F5 :(

I had more in mind that I was literally thinking my next step over for several days before starting :)

F5 is not that simple and not that common, as I make saves 1/in-game month and have time to play 1/RL month ;)

Please also refer to my response to Ikarases several months ago :D I usually replay only in those cases when I play late into the night and do stuff without thinking much and on max speed. Then I feel that it is not worth all the effort I have already put into this game, and try to do better once more. And it does not work for the best every time either :D

So I assure you - what will come next, is my first try, as it was. :)

Last edited: