• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I guess you'll use that infantry division to attack from Cefalú on "etta" province to encircle Italian infantry division?

Well, the initial plan was something along these lines, but all good plans tend to change sooner or later.. :)

i hope you can hold the line sir!

Thanks, Belgiumruler, I had my fingers crossed at this point, as there was nothing I could do.. Btw, could you guys tell me what effect Reckless Assault has - I don't have the manual to check at the moment.

Nice and well written AAR and with a different perspective too. Will follow this one. :)

Thanks and welcome!

If you lose Syracuse, it will look really bad for your soldiers!

Lithuania should get Sicily as it's colony after the war. :p

I heard T&T look nice this year :p

Pro tip: T&T = Trinidad and Tobago

Haha :D While Sicily would be really great, I would not dare thinking about T&T, since it is more of a Latvian heritage :}

Just a side fact - there actually were some proposals (and some real efforts) just before WW2 to collect money and buy land in Venezuela, Honduras or Madagascar for all Lithuanians to move to..

I hope it will not come to that and our temporary stay in Britain is for another 3-4 years only.

I heard T&T look nice this year :p

Pro tip: T&T = Trinidad and Tobago

Oh no no and no, T&T must be Latvian, as we only had 2 colonies, both taken away by the British! :p

Haha :D While Sicily would be really great, I would not dare thinking about T&T, since it is more of a Latvian heritage :}

Just a side fact - there actually were some proposals (and some real efforts) just before WW2 to collect money and buy land in Venezuela, Honduras or Madagascar for all Lithuanians to move to..

I hope it will not come to that and our temporary stay in Britain is for another 3-4 years only.

Would northerners like Lithuanians be able to live in such hot weather for all year? We (Balts) can't really live without a real winter, to cool off from a really hot summer! :D

Would northerners like Lithuanians be able to live in such hot weather for all year? We (Balts) can't really live without a real winter, to cool off from a really hot summer! :D

Well, the main reasoning was to get away from the crossroads between Germany and Russia, and the possibility to have 3-4 harvests a year :D In any case, none of those plans were seriously thought-through, I believe :)

Subscribed! Always wanted a Baltic State AAR!

germans_everywhere.png
just thought it would be funny to make this :D

:laugh: That cracked me up!

Just got myself caught up: well done thus far and good hunting against the Italians.

Last edited:
Cliffs and Mules. October, 1942.

October 4. Someone must have been praying for us then. Several of the guys in my platoon were starting to glance back, waiting for a signal to retreat, but Italians just stopped their attack by 7 p.m., leaving everyone wondering. Italians lost twice as much as we did - nearly 380, maybe that was it.

The situation on the front-line was becoming difficult - our 4th division on the move to Cefalù - in order to strike the Italians from the rear and flank - was delayed by Italian efforts to cross Messina strait on the 5th, and our volunteer divisions around Gela were starting to give-in to constant pressure from west and north.

It was becoming desperate - we had to push forth and break them, or else we would be driven back to the sea.
After a quick regrouping we headed again for the hills of Caltagirone on the morning of October 7th. Surprisingly, Italians retreated in disarray further west after just a short skirmish, and most of the mountain villages were secured within the next 3 days.

GHCji9O.jpg

Lithuanians marching towards Piazza Armerina on a really hot autumn day. October 9, 1942[/

In the meantime, the amphibious attack on Messina was beaten back with hundreds of Italian casualties, many drowned and taken prisoners. In the west, though, our troops were forced to leave the beaches of Gela after losing nearly 3000 men against 1500 Italians, with 2nd Volunteer Div. covering the retreat.

It was now our turn to step-up - as soon as we got to Caltagirone, we turned south and hit Italian 'Pasubio' division which had just arrived in Gela, with all the guns we had, routing them in several hours.

P2Ns0C5.jpg

Italians retreat on all fronts. October 14, 1942

At dawn of October 17 we received our orders to advance further west towards Caltanissetta with the main goal of securing the mountain road through Enna village, opening the path over the hills to the northern side of the island, and then to Palermo.

Due to rugged terrain, we could only use pack mules for supplies. After a tedious trek over the rocky hills, we reached the defensive positions of 'Cuneo' division, high upon the cliffs, with at least 600 meters of open ground in front of them that we needed to cross. We waited until dusk, and with overwhelming covering fire were able to rout them by the morning of the 19th, with only 110 of our guys killed or wounded, and the same or probably higher number of Italian casualties.

noL3MrA.jpg

Assault of Enna village. October 18, 1942

The 4th division was stretched for several tens of kilometers - while first regiments were securing Cefalù, the rearguard was still repelling routine Italian attempts to cross the Messina strait. In order to help with harbour defences and relieve our infantry ,which was much needed further west, the only two remaining reserve volunteer regiments were sent there.

We were wasting no time - there was an impression among our higher staff that Italians will try to evacuate as many of their divisions from Palermo as they can - we knew at least of infantry div. 'Parma' leaving for Rome several days ago. We were able to catch 'Messina' division in Bagheria on the night of 22nd, and they did not wait for the morning to come in order to run, after some 300 men were lost on both sides.

We were not able to reach the northern mountains, however. When Italians abandoned Agrigento, our volunteer divisions, which had just been put back to fighting shape, were ordered to secure the province, but 7th Italian Alpini division tried to dislodge them, and we had to hit their left flank in order to help our guys to keep their positions. After a nasty fight, on the 29th the Italians were pushed back to their initial positions, however, we lost 400, and the Italians at least 260 men.

hKklBaJ.jpg

The troops of 1st Volunteer division 'For Freedom' marching to Agrigento. October 31, 1942

Last edited:
Cool, I hope you can drive them off Sicily :)

The Price of Blood, Pride and Wine. November, 1942

On the late evening of November 1st, the commanding officer of our company - captain Kazlauskas - a hardened veteran, former commander of a dragoon squad back in Lithuania, has returned from a long meeting with battalion and regiment commanders, and called squad leaders, including me, to his tent. When we heard the main news - "the British are coming", all of us were overjoyed, only the captains face was hard to read.

Finally! I felt much relieved, I also knew that my men would be too, and I did not care much about the politics of the higher command. The Tommies were really welcome to the fight, we already had our share of blood, both lost and spilled, in this land.

Apparently, a naval group with three new shiny battleships - HMS King George V, HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Anson has arrived more than a week ago into the Mediterranean, and a great naval battle was fought in the straits of Messina two days later, when all three remaining Italian heavy cruisers were caught south-east of Messina. Italians tried to flee through the strait after a wing of naval bombers engaged the Royal Navy in an attempt to distract, but only RM Pola (barely) survived the combined steel and fire hurricane unleashed from 14-inch guns of the battleships.

GWvHPnU.jpg

HMS Prince of Wales, one of three sister-ships, has scored all the killing hits in the battle of Messina strait. November, 1942

After the main potential threat was removed, 76000 troops - more than 4/5 of the troops assigned to the Middle-Eastern Command, including its all armoured and mobile units, has boarded the ships in Alexandria and docked on the morning of November 2 at the harbour of Catania.

3dN3FwW.jpg

3 Tank divisions with most modern Cromwell A27m tanks were among the invasion forces. November 2, 1942

As I could understand, the British High command has thought our progress to be too slow, and the command of the whole operation 'Husky' was given to the commander of 3 Army Group of Middle East Command, Gen. Gough, while British invasion forces themselves were under the direct command of Lt.Gen. Floyer-Acland, a not overly experienced mediocre commander of the 7th Army. As a secondary target, the airfields around Catania were to be fully secured and prepared for extensive use by Allied aircraft in preparation for the invasion of Italy.

Our order from the commander of Lithuanian Liberation Army Gen. Liatukas was to stand down, secure our positions, and wait until the British bring their tanks and guns over the mountains to the front line, in order to avoid any unnecessary casualties, now that our numerical superiority on the island reached almost 3:1 against the Italians.

KJ7ymlR.jpg

Troops from 42nd 'East Lancashire' Division just after landing in Catania harbour. November 2, 1942

The tanks did not take long to show up in Messina, though. Just after a routine attempt by Italians to cross the strait was repelled, 6th Armoured Division, led by Maj.Gen. Ebbens, took the fight to the Italian side of the strait.

ZjqJv0D.jpg

The British are greeted by the citizens of San Giovanni after crossing the 5 kilometre-wide strait. November 8, 1942

8th Armoured Div of Maj.Gen.Arkwright-Hore-Ruthven reached our positions in Bagheria on the 9th of November, and without resting headed straight for the suburbs of Palermo, defended by entrenched Mot. Division 'Pasubio', led by the commander of 7th Italian Army - Lt.Gen.Grossi.

There were some heated discussions later in the barracks, whether this attack was British general's folly or an ego-driven attempt to capture Palermo and become a hero all over the Western press as the man that has successfully ended the siege of Sicily.

PKgmw0D.jpg

Priest 105mm self-propelled guns in action outside Palermo. November 9, 1942

Our division did not receive any order until the morning of the 10th, when British Command has asked Gen.Rastikis to assist the Brits, since they did not seem to be able to break the Italians anymore, after several of the tanks were lost to hard-fighting Italians, blocking main road to the city from the east, and delaying any prospects of British advance.

The day started with our artillery hitting Italian position for several hours, potentially shocking the defenders, and our division went forward for an assault with a task of blitzing them, until they had a chance to recover.

EX6pr43.jpg

The troops of my squad scramble over rubble in a devastated street in Palermo. November 12, 1942

We were not that lucky, however. During the night of the 12th, the defences were bolstered by the 7th Alpini Div., and our attack became a broad assault by the morning of the 13th.

On the 14th of November, we were joined by our 4th Div. 'Vilnius', which made a surprise attack on the harbour Palermo, trying to cut the possible retreat of Italian forces, and the 5th British Inf. Division was promised to attack soon from Sciacca.

9s9sVFH.jpg

We were able to achieve breakthrough in several spots along the front line at the middle of the night of November 15, 1942

That morning was not one to remember or be proud of. The Brits have just refused to attack any more, citing fuel and ammo shortages for their tanks as the main reason, and even the plans to send the 5th Inf. division were called off.

We were lost. Was this a betrayal by our Allies, which stood by us during those two long years of war? Or was this a power struggle between the commanders - Lt.Gen. Rastikis and Lt.Gen. Floyer-Acland, who has just arrived to Sicily a day ago for the name of a conquering hero? What should we do now?

Whatever the case may be, this was resolved by our Army commander Gen.Liatukas. With support of 2 volunteer divisions he hit from Sciacca, and it was all over by the midday of the 18th. Perhaps the hint of a conflict could be the absence of the men from Lt.Gen. Rastikis' HQ in our final assault..

SezgMY1.jpg

Guys from 2nd Volunteer Div. 'For Homeland ' were there when we needed them. November 17, 1942

The taste of the victory was a bitter-sweet one. Almost 50000 Italians were taken as prisoners of war, while their losses reached 10000, and we managed to defeat them with 9000 killed or wounded. But those were men, most of which will never come back home, even if we manage to free it one day.

And the Brits.. True, their armoured divisions showed some fighting spirit against disheartened Italians, but the bulk of their forces - like battle-untested greenhorns from the 32nd 'Welsh' division, were still sitting around Catania or Messina, three weeks after the landing. Well, they had the whole Italy to prove themselves ahead of them still.

heCHuGT.jpg

Chasing local girls and drinking wine - favourite pastime of every soldier. November, 1942.

Last edited:
Good job in Sicily! Allies should be happy to have that good allies.

Thanks, tate43:) Well, I have some doubts as to where should I go further from there, since my volunteer divisions would be blasted to pieces by Italian bombers on the continent.. Unless the Brits screw-up badly somewhere along the way and I will need to help *cough*Monte Cassino*cough*:closedeyes:

Last edited:
Thanks, tate43:) Well, I have some doubts as to go further from there, since my volunteer divisions would be blasted to pieces by Italian bombers on the continent.. Unless the Brits screw-up badly somewhere along the way and I will need to help *cough*Monte Cassino*cough*:closedeyes:

so i gues you are gona be like the polish divisions in monte cassino and take it with huge loses

I really liked the Sicilian campaign, it's nice to see how you deal with the AI's inabilities bot ingame and in writing.

Can imagine it takes quite some tie finding the right pictures for every screenshot, but keep up the good work.

I see some british troops moving into the tip of Italy, are you going to join them, or is time for some rest for the troops? :)

I really liked the Sicilian campaign, it's nice to see how you deal with the AI's inabilities bot ingame and in writing.

Can imagine it takes quite some tie finding the right pictures for every screenshot, but keep up the good work.

I see some british troops moving into the tip of Italy, are you going to join them, or is time for some rest for the troops? :)

Well, I am considering resting for a month to get the organization up. And for future plans..

I have some doubts about joining the Brits in Italy, perhaps just for a short assisting operation. They should handle the Italians themselves quite easily, but I fear that I need to do something with Germans in order to divert some of their forces from Eastern front. Soviets are really taking a beating there and are holding up just because it's winter already. I don’t have much hope in them once the spring comes. Also, the Japanese have almost managed to cross Siberia and are closing to the Ural mountains quite fast for the past several months.

So, Allies should either knock Italy out of the war really soon, or start some parallel offensive against German-occupied territories, I think.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this AAR, quite riveting. This is honestly the first one that I've been interested enough to follow the whole way through...keep it up. May the brave men find their way back home.